• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda get the sentiment, but I think the idea at this point is to basically cut out or make less prominent the crap that didn't work (islands, warfronts, azerite gear) while focusing on the stuff that people seem to like (essences, invasions, old world revamps).

They're probably trying to keep 9.0 tempered since it's not coming out any time soon for sure, but they still have 8-12 months to account for in the meantime.
Yeah, I agree. I think these are good moves so they don't lose more people but what I'm worried about is this focus on repeatable randomly generated content. It's what software developers throw around as "scalable" to make management happy, along with shit like user engagement and other bullshit words that management uses to shred creativity from something that used to be awesome. And I'm worried that's all this really is, is a stop gap because we are looking, I would guess, at a minimum of next summer for the new expansion.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I expect with the next xpac. I feel like blizzard really got their wires crossed chasing bad ideas with BFA.
I really hope we get another expansion as good as legion.

I can only speak for myself but I've been more engaged in 8.2 than any of the rest of the 8.0 content so I'm not really disappointed that 8.3 is leaning into what's worked previously and moving away from what didn't work this round. 8.2 has been really fun for me so I'm hoping riding out 8.3 will be the same way.

I don't want a full revamp of the game in 9.0. I want some course correction and changes of course but I'd be happy with a Legion/Mists like experience again with new content. It's hard to put it into words exactly what I want in the new expansion but let's wash away the first half of BFA ASAP.
What have you enjoyed about the latest stuff, out of curiosity?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
If Tyrande ends up a raid boss, I'll scream.

I'll legitimately consider it the most tragic bit of storytelling in the entire game.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
n players are going to riot

Have you seen the leaks regarding a later conversation - that of
Calia and Derek's discussion with Lillian? Which also, somehow, includes the undead night elves shoutout to no longer being themselves and having to combat all their 'anger'?

Blizz is totally gonna try for it - they'd have no other reason for the whole
lightforged undead asspull from before the storm
otherwise.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's great personally, but I'm an Alliance guy so ehhhhh lol.
It would make sense for an Alliance undead faction, but I don't see how they can square this character with the Forsaken without just rewriting what they are.

I don't see how they would join the Horde, especially if there will eventually be another faction war.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It would make sense for an Alliance undead faction, but I don't see how they can square this character with the Forsaken without just rewriting what they are.

I don't see how they would join the Horde, especially if there will eventually be another faction war.

My hope is that the faction war shit is over at least in WoW, bring it back for a RTS Warcraft if need be but it's been played out to hell in this game. Still let PVP be a thing and whatnot just stop having story lines revolve around faction war, it's boring as hell 15 years later.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
My hope is that the faction war shit is over at least in WoW, bring it back for a RTS Warcraft if need be but it's been played out to hell in this game. Still let PVP be a thing and whatnot just stop having story lines revolve around faction war, it's boring as hell 15 years later.

IMO they'll leave classic/TbC/maybe wrath as the 'faction conflict' areas, and mainly focus on existential threats in future xpacs...even if we don't necessarily have a ton of those left.

Every faction conflict storyline has basically been similar/same-y, so I can partly understand why they want to move away from it...but even then, they went about it super ham-fistedly.

But all in all, I'd say faction conflict is largely on the way out for the forseeable future, considering at the start of the xpac I'd swear I remember seeing a dev say there would always be factions is kind of ironic, but the writing is on the wall with all we're seeing in 8.3.....

....barring yet another sudden hard left turn involving either Tyrande/Genn, or Sylvanas somehow managing to somehow revert the status quo she changed.

There was that one rumor that Tyrande/someone in the alliance will severely disrupt the new tentative 'peace' project (which seems like it could have some potential)....but seeing on how blizz has significantly changed story beats within BFA itself w/r/t the Sylvanas loyalists and actually making it an 'option', I'm more doubtful on that now.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Another disappointing tier set outside of lfr

If blizzcon doesn't bring class sets back I might be done unless they completely fix gameplay

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Wrathion stuff is pissing me off more than anything else in this expansion.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Deeply disappointed with the Calia Menethil stuff. I was expecting her to rule from Lordaeron as a Lightborne faction leader of the Alliance. It would've been cool to see her try and rebuild Lordaeron under the Alliance and seeing human soldiers in and around the city. Now Calia and Derek are both joining the Horde and the Alliance lost Lordaeron after they...won Lordaeron? Just like that?

Whatever the case may be, I still have some faith in Lordaeron being restored. It would be cool to see Calia call the aid of Alonsus Faol and Turalyon/Lady Liadrin to retake Stratholme. There could be a cool new Stratholme dungeon where you start in the city's sewers and you work your way to Deatholme to completely purge the Scourge from that area.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I probably missed previous lore that hinted at this, but I was kinda hoping Ny'alotha was going to be some crazy Lovecraftian, Old Gods city / empire that we would go to. Seems like it's just a twisted version of places we already know? Little bit of a letdown tbh

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
There's so much shit in this patch that I'm wondering if there should be a spoiler thread specifically for 8.3

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Nah.

We just save him. He helps out in a later encounter.

My immediate thought:

72221.jpg

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ebonhorn: Wrathion. How did you know that I had begun to hear N'Zoth's whispers?
Wrathion: One of my agents was watching over you. I knew that if you left the protection of Highmountain, you would become... vulnerable.
Ebonhorn: I did not realize you had such personal concern for my well-being.
Wrathion: Of course. You are my brother. The only one I have.

dawww

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Hmm. I probably missed previous lore that hinted at this, but I was kinda hoping Ny'alotha was going to be some crazy Lovecraftian, Old Gods city / empire that we would go to. Seems like it's just a twisted version of places we already know? Little bit of a letdown tbh
The actual Ny'alotha is. Most of the patch content is visions of what would be come of the world should N'Zoth succeed.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
We've got more whispers.

Il'gynoth: Before the last shadow falls, the Father of Sleep shall savor his feast.
The golden one claims a vacant throne. The crown of light will bring only darkness.
When their mistress beckons, nine ravens take flight. Each seeks a prize to earn her favor.
The vassal of life disguises treachery. Beware the eyes of green.
Five lanterns, now darkened. The flame they seek will light the masters' way.
The blind queen wields a scepter of bone. From the deep she calls forth doom.
The cunning ones kneel before six masters, but serve only one.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
We've got more whispers.

Il'gynoth: Before the last shadow falls, the Father of Sleep shall savor his feast.
The golden one claims a vacant throne. The crown of light will bring only darkness.
When their mistress beckons, nine ravens take flight. Each seeks a prize to earn her favor.
The vassal of life disguises treachery. Beware the eyes of green.
Five lanterns, now darkened. The flame they seek will light the masters' way.
The blind queen wields a scepter of bone. From the deep she calls forth doom.
The cunning ones kneel before six masters, but serve only one.

1. Malfurion?
2. Obviously Calia
3. ???
4. ???
5. Re-empowering the 5 Dragon Aspects?
6. ???
7. ???

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
2. Obviously Calia
3. ???
4. ???
5. Re-empowering the 5 Dragon Aspects?
6. ???

4th to me sounds like

Alexstrasza, though that ties into the dragon flights in the fifth sentence?

1 could alternatively be
Cenarius, as he's more 'consistently' in the dream than Malf is - though I'm not sure what his mention would portent

Curious to see if they actually go anywhere with the 'calia/the light have some alternative goal that isn't necessarily 100% beneficial a la the alt draenor draenai going all facist....or if it's just more JJ Abrams mystery box

edit:

Apaprently Father of sleep is
a troll god - Ueetay no Mueh'zala - aka the loa of death (who is probably the one who influenced vol'jin)

2 is likely
Sylvanas - the valk'yr being the 'ravens' being a reference to their origin, and Odyn/norse reference

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, she only has 3 left at this point.

true....I suppose the quote could be referring instead to some/all? of
her dark rangers/underlings? Nathanos, plus....uh...however many dark rangers she's got left.

Alternatively, the ones who 'died' could theoretically be in the shadowlands? Unlikely, but possible.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody else having just general button lag this expansion? It feels like some things register a half a second late a lot of the time and it's driving me crazy. I have no idea what's causing it. I know they changed the GCD but this feels like it's more than just that. Even trying to hit double jumps and glide on my demon hunter lags out a lot so I just end up falling. Anybody else experiencing this?

data west

Oct 25, 2017
That Worgen gear is so ugly but after seeing the quest, I'm leveling a Worgen jsut to do that.. 6 times.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
This is repost from the 8.3 patch thread in Gaming.

I just resubbed for WoW Classic about a month ago and I dipped into retail and realized I had the entirety of Legion to play through. I've been slowly working through Legion working on Suramar (I hate this so far, this city is a jumbled mess of dead ends, stupid quests, and forced stealth), Broken Shore, and trying to find groups to run the Legion raids because I never saw the content. I just grabbed BFA for $30 because it was on sale and now I feel overwhelmed with the sheer amount of shit I have to catch up on. I can't imagine what coming to this game for the first time ever must feel like.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You always see the hands and legs. I checked in the PTR.

Edit: although I didn't mess with customizations.

let me check, ill make one with proper legs (wow PTR is tiny)

edit: oh wow skin color actually changes the mechanical parts color, neat

edit: oh you cant have normal legs or arms, its always mecha, you can change how they look (legs only have 2 options) but thats it. Lot's of face modifications. Wonder if they will add more.

racial mount

1ZHOI41.png

seems like if its chest/pants style (like most melee classes have) you always see the legs, if its robes (like most casters have), you see the robe

UrRsXuQ.png

SoM59PK.png

gloves and boots never show it seems

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.