• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Ah, you're going with kiting her? We did that in Normal, but from discussion with a few other people who'd done some pugging, when we changed to heroic we found that a simpler strategy worked for us, where we keep everything focussed around the central rune; that was a big advantage because it meant we were already well-positioned to deal with the suiciding minions when they attacked. Said strategy may depend on group size to keep the rune power level under control, though.

I wouldn't change anything if you're now at 5%, but I went from not liking the new strategy at first with really liking how it helped immensely with sensible positioning and swapping targets as required.

What's your group size? We were at 10 last night and sometimes have 11. We lost two players due to Classic which kinda limited our numbers even moreso (though I prefer raiding with smaller groups)

Our strategy works well enough but if we have a similar group size perhaps switching it up to your method would be worth trying!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
What's your group size? We were at 10 last night and sometimes have 11. We lost two players due to Classic which kinda limited our numbers even moreso (though I prefer raiding with smaller groups)

Our strategy works well enough but if we have a similar group size perhaps switching it up to your method would be worth trying!

Group size varies a bit, but the kill was with fifteen; fewer than that may possibly be a problem, I'm not sure quite if players have more ability to shift the runes in a smaller group to compensate for the lower numbers.

It basically boils down to:

P1: Fight the adds entirely on one side (we used the right, FWIW), using that side's pillar for the reveal/hide mechanic; try to keep all goo safely on that side. We didn't bother with tank swaps, careful cooldown usage seemed to be enough to weather the storm of the freeze.
P2: All stack in the middle, put Azshara so she's draining the middle rune as well, and run out individually when you hit five-ish stacks, then do not touch the rune again until you've lost the debuff; stay with the middle when Reversals move things around. Use the left pillar or the console to hide from the big AOE. There's much less movement, and there's a reasonable chance that you'll get the Reversal to helpfully bring a drained Seal over to you to help recharge it
P3: Because you're based around the middle, you can block LOS from the casters on the runes, and don't have to worry about breaking the shields; you can just splash down the myrmidons.
P4: Move out of the middle when the big black hole's about to turn up, and be alert to the beams that will cross the middle; tanks shift around a little so one tank can devote themselves to handling the console. I'm not quite sure how the swap-everything Reversal rebalances things, but it felt like runes were perfectly safe.

We didn't involve the tanks heavily with the draining - I think each of us did one drain, and not a full-size one - so you might possibly need to do a little bit more yourself to make up for the number differential, but if the fight scales around group size in that way, that won't be an issue.

We didn't do anything particularly unconventional - as far as I'm aware - on the transitions.

If it's any use, here's our logs.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Group size varies a bit, but the kill was with fifteen; fewer than that may possibly be a problem, I'm not sure quite if players have more ability to shift the runes in a smaller group to compensate for the lower numbers.

It basically boils down to:

P1: Fight the adds entirely on one side (we used the right, FWIW), using that side's pillar for the reveal/hide mechanic; try to keep all goo safely on that side. We didn't bother with tank swaps, careful cooldown usage seemed to be enough to weather the storm of the freeze.
P2: All stack in the middle, put Azshara so she's draining the middle rune as well, and run out individually when you hit five-ish stacks, then do not touch the rune again until you've lost the debuff; stay with the middle when Reversals move things around. Use the left pillar or the console to hide from the big AOE. There's much less movement, and there's a reasonable chance that you'll get the Reversal to helpfully bring a drained Seal over to you to help recharge it
P3: Because you're based around the middle, you can block LOS from the casters on the runes, and don't have to worry about breaking the shields; you can just splash down the myrmidons.
P4: Move out of the middle when the big black hole's about to turn up, and be alert to the beams that will cross the middle; tanks shift around a little so one tank can devote themselves to handling the console. I'm not quite sure how the swap-everything Reversal rebalances things, but it felt like runes were perfectly safe.

We didn't involve the tanks heavily with the draining - I think each of us did one drain, and not a full-size one - so you might possibly need to do a little bit more yourself to make up for the number differential, but if the fight scales around group size in that way, that won't be an issue.

We didn't do anything particularly unconventional - as far as I'm aware - on the transitions.

If it's any use, here's our logs.

Neat, thanks! I'm gonna copy this post for reference for this weekend. :)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Sylvanas' plan is
get Azeroth to fight N'Zoth, then get N'Zoth killed somehow, and that will benefit her because...?

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
So Sylvanas' plan is
get Azeroth to fight N'Zoth, then get N'Zoth killed somehow, and that will benefit her because...?

well the void hates her because she's immune to it which makes her a target plus if she is actually in crazy super villain mode then losing everyone on the planet to the old gods doesn't really allow her to rule over anything

ruler/god of nothing etc

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm down for it. I read some datamined broadcast text just now and

There's a chance Anduin and Jaina don't know about what happened during Legion with Bolvar but if they're trying to retcon that shit (DK class hall) where he's just been benevolent and "holding the dead at bay" this whole time just to paint Sylvanas in a more negative light I'm gonna be pissed. Like it didn't really make sense for him to go big bad unless Ner'zhul wasn't really gone but they've flip flopped so much on this shit that my head is still spinning. He's been "not good" for quite a while now.

Either way, though, it looks like the Shadowlands is still a possibility as was being speculated even before the leak that is now deconfirmed but people are trying to pretend that this whole expansion hasn't been hinting towards it.

Nov 1, 2017

There's a chance Anduin and Jaina don't know about what happened during Legion with Bolvar but if they're trying to retcon that shit (DK class hall) where he's just been benevolent and "holding the dead at bay" this whole time just to paint Sylvanas in a more negative light I'm gonna be pissed. Like it didn't really make sense for him to go big bad unless Ner'zhul wasn't really gone but they've flip flopped so much on this shit that my head is still spinning. He's been "not good" for quite a while now.

Either way, though, it looks like the Shadowlands is still a possibility as was being speculated even before the leak that is now deconfirmed but people are trying to pretend that this whole expansion hasn't been hinting towards it.

I half expect them to pull out an Arthas redemption from their asses unless wisdom prevails. It wouldn't be the first time they've changed various facts about the Lich King/Arthas from "No he's completely gone now" to "He and the other aspect merged" to "Arthas beat and subjugated the other aspect and is the sole aspect of the Lich King" to "He's pure evil now!" to "He keeps the dead in the North from running rampart and destroying the world!". Hell his own death had him being just Arthas again.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo. 8.3 spoilers:

Gallywix is out, Gazlowe is in.

Thrall: Gallywix has fled the city along with the rest of Sylvanas' inner circle. That leaves the Bilgewater Cartel without its trade prince.
Thrall: Gazlowe, it was your cleverness and ingenuity that built the walls of Orgrimmar. I cannot think of anyone I would trust more to take over as leader.
Gazlowe: A cartel ain't a clan or a tribe, Thrall. Steamwheedle, Bilgewater... it don't matter who supplies the cash--so long as the pay's good.
Gazlowe: "Under new management" is just another way of sayin' ""opportunity's knockin'"". So, sure... you got yourself a deal!"
Thrall: Can you be sure that none of the goblins here are still being funded by Gallywix?
Gazlowe: Oh, I guarantee they are. That's why I'm gonna pay 'em more than that cheapskate!

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Sounds like someone is finally leaning into the ship.
Stormwind City. A bastion of the Holy Light, now fallen to the Void. A staging ground for N'Zoth's armies.
Obeying the whispers in her mind, Alleria Windrunner forces all to submit to the Old God... or be purged.
No, $p. Not the keep. That is one vision I would rather not see.
Of course given the current environment, that's probably the best we're getting out of them.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I love my Goblin death knight but if I get the chance to make a Zandalari one... oh my god.

If we get blurred faction lines then I can also bring my worgen dk over and the trifecta will be complete.

Stop hyping yourself up, Milo - you're only gonna end up disappointed.

Nov 1, 2017

Got my 15th Anniversary CE in the mail today, I won't lie, it felt tainted by recent events Blizzard has done. It was a bittersweet feeling opening it up.

It was definitely a much bigger box than expected, and so many boxes.

Deleted member 1190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the datamined DK/Bolvar stuff has me way more excited about the potential for next xpac than I was before.

Cash in on that Yogg/Lich King stuff Blizzard. Do it.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame I can't support Blizzard anymore. Because I wanted this for a while
ubVga9P.jpg

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Popping back in for a bit to farm some Vulpera rep and trying out assorted other things. Someone put into context for me the level of luck involved here:

RwAn3yB.png

Deleted member 1190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so, tinfoil hat time.

WC3 Reforged had a bunch of beta assets datamined today. In there are the 4 special portraits you get for getting the deluxe version of the game. Can see them here, second row down.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=295627.2/how-to-unlock-player-portraits-in-warcraft-iii-reforged

All of them are updated versions of that character from wow expansions. Except Arthas, who has a seemingly random new "Fallen King" look.

Meanwhile, wow dataming is digging up new DK/Lich King stuff seemingly for next expansion..

6e9a6a673710b0d8411db4c81937e2a3.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Oh, is that why it's leaving Knotts?
Shadow-Lands-Hero-Image-with-Logo-1-1.jpg

I don't think Arthas ever permanently destroy Ner'Zhul. I think he just kinda beat him into submission since he's physically bound to the armor and the helm. The way that I assumed they were going with Bolvar is that he has enough of a benevolent nature to hold the Scourge where they are since he still had a soul at the time that he took up the helm (Ner'Zhul was evil at the time that he did and so was Arthas because he got his soul sucked out by Frostmourne first), but it's naturally corrupting him over time with the drive to keep the Scourge going. He doesn't meddle too much in non-Northrend affairs outside of the Four Horsemen thing but he does make a point to say that if you die on his turf you're going Scourge no matter what.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Mine kinda. Less than 200 alliance at 120 online on a Saturday night. ~100 horde at 120 online. No mythic raiding (which I wouldn't exactly be participating in were it there but the lack of it doesn't help sustain the population).

Mine had a lot of level 120s but I counted less than 25 people between Silverpine Hillsbrad and both Plaguelands all the leveling zones I think are the most popular ones to level in from 1-60. My guild used to run mythic raids they couldn't find enough people to recruit to finish the mythic raid so they quit at 5 of however many mythic bosses there are.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
just realised Gazlowe was already a tinker years ago in Heroes of the Storm (turrets and bombs and shit)

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, is that why it's leaving Knotts?
Shadow-Lands-Hero-Image-with-Logo-1-1.jpg

I don't think Arthas ever permanently destroy Ner'Zhul. I think he just kinda beat him into submission since he's physically bound to the armor and the helm. The way that I assumed they were going with Bolvar is that he has enough of a benevolent nature to hold the Scourge where they are since he still had a soul at the time that he took up the helm (Ner'Zhul was evil at the time that he did and so was Arthas because he got his soul sucked out by Frostmourne first), but it's naturally corrupting him over time with the drive to keep the Scourge going. He doesn't meddle too much in non-Northrend affairs outside of the Four Horsemen thing but he does make a point to say that if you die on his turf you're going Scourge no matter what.

Well, it's Blizzard, this can always change.

I believe this changed several times but at this moment the most recent relevant lore is Arthas book which states that Ner'zhul was destroyed completely and Lich King was 100% Arthas. Which I thought was stupid but I don't think any piece of lore published since then contradicts that. Won't be surprised if at some point it's retconned

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Well, it's Blizzard, this can always change.

I believe this changed several times but at this moment the most recent relevant lore is Arthas book which states that Ner'zhul was destroyed completely and Lich King was 100% Arthas. Which I thought was stupid but I don't think any piece of lore published since then contradicts that. Won't be surprised if at some point it's retconned

And in the Frost DK artifact quest during Legion you destroy the remaining essences of Ner'zhul and Arthas to "purify" the shards of Frostmourne. Of course, they can just retcon this but right now, yeah, Bolvar is just a dick.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what Warfront is up for the alliance in the US? I want the Stormgrade armor for my hunter but if it's not up I'm gonna level slowly.

Oct 25, 2017
I got my mechagon exalted for allied race but now I do not have much to do in game again. M+ this season is a bit boring for me. Already got AOTC weeks ago and my guild is not raiding atm due to classic.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I got my mechagon exalted for allied race but now I do not have much to do in game again. M+ this season is a bit boring for me. Already got AOTC weeks ago and my guild is not raiding atm due to classic.

funny you mention this, I was talking to Anoregon about this (it's something im thinking about a lot lately), WoW is a very easy game to play when you have set goals, but also very easy to NOT play when those goals are met (and you have no new ones).

My current 1 month resub runs out in 10 days, which is enough time to get Exalted with Mechagon for the gnomes down the line (I need 9k or something, you can easily get 1k+ a day so im good), every day im very ready to hop in and do the mechagon stuff for the rep, and as soon as thats done, im very ready to log out until the next day.

Same with the stuff I set out to do with this resub, first with getting pathfinder done, then lvling my dog warlock from 110 to 120 because I like the new dog animations, and lastly I had a blast leveling my LFD Draenei from 27 or whatever he was to 120.

But at the same time, I cant for the life of me level my KT Shaman, I dont like the class atm, and I dont like the male KT as much as I thought I would. Still, this month resub was very worth it in the end as I ended up doing a lot of actually meaningfull (for the future) stuff so im happy.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh god I hate BFA leveling so much I have two 120s by this time in Legion I had nine level 110s with more being worked on.

Oct 25, 2017
funny you mention this, I was talking to Anoregon about this (it's something im thinking about a lot lately), WoW is a very easy game to play when you have set goals, but also very easy to NOT play when those goals are met (and you have no new ones).

My current 1 month resub runs out in 10 days, which is enough time to get Exalted with Mechagon for the gnomes down the line (I need 9k or something, you can easily get 1k+ a day so im good), every day im very ready to hop in and do the mechagon stuff for the rep, and as soon as thats done, im very ready to log out until the next day.

Same with the stuff I set out to do with this resub, first with getting pathfinder done, then lvling my dog warlock from 110 to 120 because I like the new dog animations, and lastly I had a blast leveling my LFD Draenei from 27 or whatever he was to 120.

But at the same time, I cant for the life of me level my KT Shaman, I dont like the class atm, and I dont like the male KT as much as I thought I would. Still, this month resub was very worth it in the end as I ended up doing a lot of actually meaningfull (for the future) stuff so im happy.

I still have pvp goals to meet at least (still have not got the season mount or the pvp transmog completed). And classic to play so my sub is not a waste either.

Status
Not open for further replies.