• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
You cannot solo Antorus and Trial of Valor. Antorus you can get the first chunk done but will hit a wall with the guy who has the sleep dart. Trial of Valor very first boss requires two tanks =/

wyndhamprice

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all,

I took a break back in March and just came back this week. What's the best way for someone to get geared up? My DK main was at 385 when I stopped playing and all this progression has happened since then. I've already gone through the Nazjatar quest line up to when you need to grind ally xp.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
Complete
Hey all,

I took a break back in March and just came back this week. What's the best way for someone to get geared up? My DK main was at 385 when I stopped playing and all this progression has happened since then. I've already gone through the Nazjatar quest line up to when you need to grind ally xp.
Do the Darkshore or Heroic Stromgarde warfronts, always do your daily emissaries (go up to 415 rewards), and try to run Mythic+ dungeons (or even better if in a guild, just ask!). If you like PvP start running battlegrounds/arena and can get okay rewards too. There is crafted gear to get you above 400 but probably not worth the investment.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

You can get a 405ish trinket from mechagon, it is a trinket with 2 slots you put logic boards into like gems.
World bosses for weapons and a few other things.
Mythic dungeons will be great sources of updated azerite at 400. Mythic Plus for pretty much every other piece.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else think they MAY still spring the factions going away in the pre-patch or somewhere just before SL releases? Would generate some crazy fuckin hype. We still don't know exactly how all of the story is going to go in 8.3.5 and 9.0.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Does anyone else think they MAY still spring the factions going away in the pre-patch or somewhere just before SL releases? Would generate some crazy fuckin hype. We still don't know exactly how all of the story is going to go in 8.3.5 and 9.0.

Do you mean getting rid of the Horde and Alliance?

That's never going away - they've stated that WoW *is* Horde vs. Alliance.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I don't understand why people expect higher ilvl players to join low tier mythic groups. I just came back recently and I'm trying to do a +2/3 mythic for the chest and I'm getting declined from everything. Its frustrating.

Edit: Right after bitching I got an invite to one. Took way too long. At least I have my own key now that I can at least avoid part of that process.

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
You cannot solo Antorus and Trial of Valor. Antorus you can get the first chunk done but will hit a wall with the guy who has the sleep dart. Trial of Valor very first boss requires two tanks =/

I soloed Trial of Valor two weeks on the trot to get the tokens for the quest.

The trick is that each of the two guys in the first room have a long cast spell, and you can drag the other one away from them far enough to make the shield buff vanish, where you can do a load of damage quite quickly.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean getting rid of the Horde and Alliance?

That's never going away - they've stated that WoW *is* Horde vs. Alliance.

Oh I know it's the heart of the franchise so far, and I know they've said it a bunch in recent Blizzcon interviews, etc.
But, what if it's all been a ruse recently to throw us off before it happens for real?

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
For those familiar with all the mission table stuff, have they improved the passive gold generation from that? It was obviously extremely scaled back from what it was in Legion, but I'm wondering if they turned that faucet up much to encourage people to stay subscribed late in the expansion's life?

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
For those familiar with all the mission table stuff, have they improved the passive gold generation from that? It was obviously extremely scaled back from what it was in Legion, but I'm wondering if they turned that faucet up much to encourage people to stay subscribed late in the expansion's life?

Nope. It's barely worth the minimal effort it takes. It's a joke imo.

Racketpunch

Oct 26, 2017
Up to 5 max characters from Korraks Revenge. As Alliance, I can tell if we're going to lose when we can't take IBT early on. It's pretty crazy how often Alliance ignores that tower.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. It's probably my least favorite of the bunch.

To be honest though I don't know what it is but none of the dungeons this expansion are really appealing to me at all. Like I'll do them once and it's like well I never ever want to do that again.

Every other expac I've been able to grind dungeons like they're nothing, so I don't know what changed with BfA.
I had the exact same experience with the dungeons this xpac versus other xpacs. I did most of them once or twice and had no fun. That's a big contributor to me not liking this xpac.

I haven't even really thought about playing since getting Pathfinder. My sub lapses in like 10 days but I'm just kinda burned out on BFA. I still have to do more stuff to unlock Vulpera, I'm like halfway to exalted, but I just cba. I really hope Shadowlands revitalizes the game but I'm not super optimistic.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I have all the subrace heritage armor except DI and KT I got a DI to level 70 and I almost unlocked the KT but I'm so burned out on leveling I can't stand leveling anymore.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody at all goes to fight Korrak 😢
You can go fight him in Northrend at some arena or another. No need to do it in AV. That just makes you lose, anyway, so no one wants to do it. They're all farming XP!

I currently have more max level characters than I ever have before. Five! On my way to six. I don't know why I'm doing this. Playing multiple characters at end game is fucking stupid. Maybe could pull off two, but three ain't gonna happen. Wish Blizzard would add some sort of... overlap feature. This is why I want things like rep shared. Ugh.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
Now that my Heart of Azeroth is maxed I can usually pull in 1-2K a day via the mission table. Not much but that plus using all my spare resources for extra rolls (which give 2K gold when you don't get gear) and emissaries is a steady if modest income. The plan is to pay for WC3: Reforged with WoW tokens. Currently at 365K plus another 165K on my bank alt. I missed Warlords and Legion so catching up to the massive inflation boom has been rough.

What would be swell if they nerfed is the mats required to make champion equipment... I really hate having a mission where it is stealth but then requires a melee follower to void the No Bonus loot condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
You can go fight him in Northrend at some arena or another. No need to do it in AV. That just makes you lose, anyway, so no one wants to do it. They're all farming XP!

I currently have more max level characters than I ever have before. Five! On my way to six. I don't know why I'm doing this. Playing multiple characters at end game is fucking stupid. Maybe could pull off two, but three ain't gonna happen. Wish Blizzard would add some sort of... overlap feature. This is why I want things like rep shared. Ugh.

The "earn endgame stuff/NG+" in Shadowlands is gonna make this extremely interesting. I can't wait for that.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
The "earn endgame stuff/NG+" in Shadowlands is gonna make this extremely interesting. I can't wait for that.
I dunno, I'm not optimistic about that. If it is, it would be the first* expansion that actually encourages having alts.

*I didn't play MoPor Warlords, so maybe they were good about this. But vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cata, Legion, and BfA sure weren't.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I dunno, I'm not optimistic about that. If it is, it would be the first* expansion that actually encourages having alts.

*I didn't play MoPor Warlords, so maybe they were good about this. But vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cata, Legion, and BfA sure weren't.

They made it a point to bring up in the panel so I think it's fair to assume this is something that they're actively working on to make alts a bit easier to manage. I'm very hopeful that they'll get it right.

Probably not the first pass but maybe by the fourth or fifth in true Blizzard fashion, lol.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Legion was fine for alts after the first couple months, once artifact knowledge was high enough to let you get most of the important stuff quickly. Anything after that was pretty standard gearing and related RNG. I don't remember WoD having anything particularly unfriendly to alts, as reps didn't matter much and it didn't have any real alternate progression at max level. Just garrison stuff, which if anything actually encouraged you to have as many characters as possible.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
MoP and WoD were both very friendly toward alts, which, coupled with the continual simplification of classes (playing one class gets less and less satisfying the shallower it gets), is a big part of why there's been such pushback against the alt unfriendliness of Legion and BFA.

While Legion might have been improved toward the end, it was still fundamentally unfriendly toward pursuing alts because of its (1) emphasis on never-ending chores in the forms of AP grind and assorted RNG gearing methods (for both PvE and PvP), and (2) the profound importance of having optimal legendaries, which again was contingent on mind-numbing RNG.

They've paid some nice lip service toward improving these things, but I'm not exactly taking such words at face value at this point, after so many years of focus on psychologically exploitative RNG systems like titanforging and lootboxes.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
All I can do is take these things at face value because, if I feel like they don't live up to what was "sold" (rather than "promised" in this sense), then I may be out. BfA burned a lot of goodwill - and while I doubt they'll do a lot the same way again - I won't stick around for BFA 2.0.

Legion was only bad for alts at the very beginning imo. And after we started clearing content at whatever the current AP levels were it felt less bad for me to where I started working on other characters. That said, if your main was more fun to play in the first place maybe players would be less inclined to roll 30+ alts. That wouldn't apply to me because I'm a sadist but having to roll through 5+ characters to find one that "feels right" to you due to over pruning sucks hard.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think it's worth keeping in mind that AP wasn't a big deal for the majority of the expansions lifespan. It like literally didn't matter for the entire last patch (about a year?), and even before then knowledge made catch-up very reasonable.

And it's been debated to death, but I've always maintained that " the profound importance of having optimal legendaries" has been vastly overstated. The playerbase in general just has this tendency to hyperboblize everything into either being the best or being utterly worthless, when in reality that's never the case. Sure it sucked to get Prydaz as your first legendary (or sephuz if you weren't a shadow priest) but the overall psychic trauma of not having the two best orange items for your spec was frequently self-inflicted.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Overall imo I think Legion was the most alt-friendly just for the class halls and artifacts. It gave me a reason to level alts and I've never had as many max level characters as I did with legion.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Overall imo I think Legion was the most alt-friendly just for the class halls and artifacts. It gave me a reason to level alts and I've never had as many max level characters as I did with legion.

That was my experience as well. I had a character of every class except mage at 110 prior to 8.0, and then finally did that with mage as mag'har for the heritage armor.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah I loved order halls as another reason for me to level another class. I don't think we'll ever get that much "class story" at once again in the game but it was pretty awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
If 8.3 nails the tower I could see alts being good for BFA at least at the end of the expansion. I really do not have a problem with alts now, just not very interested in doing M+/raids with them. So world stuff and pvp is pretty much my wheelhouse with them.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I loved order halls as another reason for me to level another class. I don't think we'll ever get that much "class story" at once again in the game but it was pretty awesome.

The sheer amount of effort that went into Legion is just one of the many things that made BfA ultimately look like fuckin clownshoes. Custom progression trees for all 36 specs, a new class, unique questlines and locations for every class, a new mount for every class, multiple unique legendary items for every class, and tier sets still existed. Oh, and the biggest city in the game as part of major end-game quest zone. Even if Azerite, islands and warfronts didn't suck out of the gate, it's still a very stark contrast comparing all of that to the systems of BfA.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to all of your points re: Legion being okay for alts, my biggest issue as far as alts go is reputation. I think it's stupid that we have to farm rep for every single alt. Also having to unlock various things by doing the quest line.

Maybe some people enjoy doing the same quests over and over but I don't. >_>

The class specific stuff in Legion was actually really cool, though, yeah.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I have also never felt as locked into my main as I have with BfA. Everything just feels like it takes forever so playing an alt feels like wasting time. There's nothing at the endgame that makes an alt worth it outside of heritage armor.

Shadowlands so far sounds like the total opposite. If they can nail the Tower in particular I'll probably level one of everything just to try it with different classes.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to all of your points re: Legion being okay for alts, my biggest issue as far as alts go is reputation. I think it's stupid that we have to farm rep for every single alt. Also having to unlock various things by doing the quest line.

I don't remember rep being very important in legion. You needed it to progress the Suramar questline, but Suramar itself wasn't really something you had to worry about on alts anyway.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The sheer amount of effort that went into Legion is just one of the many things that made BfA ultimately look like fuckin clownshoes. Custom progression trees for all 36 specs, a new class, unique questlines and locations for every class, a new mount for every class, multiple unique legendary items for every class, and tier sets still existed. Oh, and the biggest city in the game as part of major end-game quest zone. Even if Azerite, islands and warfronts didn't suck out of the gate, it's still a very stark contrast comparing all of that to the systems of BfA.

Islands suck, warfronts suck, the heart sucks, dungeons suck. There's no fun casual endgame experience for players like me. The most fun thing I can probably do right now is pet battles lmao

Reps weren't great in Legion but I think the only one that sucked was Nightfallen because you need fucking exalted to get the full set of class armor.

The others you didn't really need to level unless they were tied to a specific artifact appearance.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Totally forgot about professions in BfA (who hasn't?) But those absolutely are the worst they have ever been in any expac. The sheer amount of mats to level or make anything is just stupid.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
And it's been debated to death, but I've always maintained that " the profound importance of having optimal legendaries" has been vastly overstated. The playerbase in general just has this tendency to hyperboblize everything into either being the best or being utterly worthless, when in reality that's never the case. Sure it sucked to get Prydaz as your first legendary (or sephuz if you weren't a shadow priest) but the overall psychic trauma of not having the two best orange items for your spec was frequently self-inflicted.

It depends on the content we're talking about and the specs in question. Some legendaries were quite literally useless, while others were drastically overpowered -- this goes for both PvE and WPvP, the latter of which essentially ceased to exist during Legion because certain specs were made into walking gods by legendaries.

Overall, it was just a bad system, made more so by their last second decision during beta to take away the player's ability to prioritize getting certain legendaries.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Reps weren't great in Legion but I think the only one that sucked was Nightfallen because you need fucking exalted to get the full set of class armor.

The others you didn't really need to level unless they were tied to a specific artifact appearance.
Yeah I'm mostly thinking of the Nightfallen.
Not really though? Like by the time you actually got your rep high enough to buy the epic gear from it, your time would have been much better spent getting it from dungeons/raids.
Not everyone can dungeon/raid reliably. I don't like dungeoning OR raiding with randos, so I had to play catch up with my friends. Sure they helped me every now and then, but they couldn't devote all their time.

I'm surprised this is a controversial sentiment. I guess I'll, uh, drop it.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

I'm a huge proponent of account wide rep but alas.

I have also never felt as locked into my main as I have with BfA. Everything just feels like it takes forever so playing an alt feels like wasting time. There's nothing at the endgame that makes an alt worth it outside of heritage armor.

Shadowlands so far sounds like the total opposite. If they can nail the Tower in particular I'll probably level one of everything just to try it with different classes.

God. And I know they're expanding the heart past 70 in 8.3 but you get a dinky toy for reaching cap right now. There's hardly any fanfare.

I guess you get Rank 4 of the Flame but ehhhh. You don't even get an achievement. They were like "we don't care and neither will the players lol." Sad!

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm a huge proponent of account wide rep but alas.

God. And I know they're expanding the heart past 70 in 8.3 but you get a dinky toy for reaching cap right now. There's hardly any fanfare.

I guess you get Rank 4 of the Flame but ehhhh. You don't even get an achievement. They were like "we don't care and neither will the players lol." Sad!

They at least took out the infinite trait for the heart.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
My customary PSA every time the current expansion goes on sale (50% off right now for Black Friday):
You can upgrade any secondary or third accounts you have to BFA and get the Level Boost on your main account. It's vastly cheaper than buying a boost outright.

(means less these days with a much more enjoyable and shorter leveling experience around the corner, but hey, someone could be into it!)

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
All right that's 120 number six.

Death knight, hunter, shaman, rogue, demon hunter, warrior.

Guess I'll work on my priest next.it's closest at 83.

Still not sure why I'm doing this. Help. I'm broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.