• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Any update on predictions for shadowlands release date?

I kinda want to jump into 8.3 right away but it is such a long period til shadowlands... there may not be much of a rush.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Any update on predictions for shadowlands release date?

I kinda want to jump into 8.3 right away but it is such a long period til shadowlands... there may not be much of a rush.

There was a reddit thread today predicting a end of July release with solid numbers backing it up but I still think that's too early for Blizz. I say end of August still.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, some commenters on the WoW subreddit want the expansion to come out in 2021. Blizzard should take their time, but that's a bit excessive isn't it?

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, some commenters on the WoW subreddit want the expansion to come out in 2021. Blizzard should take their time, but that's a bit excessive isn't it?
From a content cycle standpoint, yes, that seems very long. From a quality standpoint it seems like it would make sense. If they were open to critique during BFA testing they could have used an extra 5 months to launch the game in a decent state.

They poured more manpower into a disposable system mid-expansion that they weren't planning on doing (all to fix the wasted hours they already poured into another disposable system). I have to imagine that took away from system work on Shadowlands.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

Yeah, it's kinda dumb. More time doesn't necessarily make it a "better" expansion. However, don't rush it out the door.

August to November seems realistic depending on Alpha/Beta. Shadowlands is a possible redemption arc like Legion was and they want to get on that storyline as quickly and neatly as possible.

queue someone telling me Legion sucked in 3...2...

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah, it's kinda dumb. More time doesn't necessarily make it a "better" expansion. However, don't rush it out the door.

August to November seems realistic depending on Alpha/Beta. Shadowlands is a possible redemption arc like Legion was and they want to get on that storyline as quickly and neatly as possible.

queue someone telling me Legion sucked in 3...2...

Legion was the best expansion and it's not close.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
WoD is still the worst for me. I also have a dislike for BC because of its attunements and story (which manages to be worse than WoD and BfA by a significant margin).

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't have a real ranking but personally I'd have MoP and Wrath around the top and WoD or Cata sinking toward the bottom. I can forgive a lot, but the dearth of content during those periods always felt like the lowest points of the game for me. BFA is... not great, but it's at least given some reasons to return to it, however limited.

I guess if you're super against having alternate progression Legion might be a bad time.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I also have a dislike for BC because of its attunements and story (which manages to be worse than WoD and BfA by a significant margin).

I have huge nostalgia for BC because of how it expanded Vanilla WoW. I also really loved the Illidan and Kael story lines. Attunements really did suck, but it was part of the story so I didn't mind doing it once on my main. I also took my first ever break from WoW during late BC which probably helped prevent burnout.

Were you on Whisperwind? I seem to recall someone with a name like yours.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I have huge nostalgia for BC because of how it expanded Vanilla WoW. I also really loved the Illidan and Kael story lines. Attunements really did suck, but it was part of the story so I didn't mind doing it once on my main. I also took my first ever break from WoW during late BC which probably helped prevent burnout.

Were you on Whisperwind? I seem to recall someone with a name like yours.

Nah, I've always been Moon Guard.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
Jeebus that one essence boosts damage raid-wide by 45%. Very interesting.

The other DPS essence sounds like its prime for Mythic +

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
UGH FINE

Legion>Pandaria>Wrath>Cata >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BFA > vanilla = BC > WoD

honestly you could mix up the last three and it would still work. There's parts of WoD that are good but the whole package just brings it down so much.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I really liked the actual world of Warlords with all the different clans. I had a lot of fun in Tanaan too on my Priest trying to do all the stuff.

And I LOVED my Garrison. It was so cool having your own base you could upgrade and stuff. Lucrative mission table too.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
People hating on BC because it being a challenge and having things like attunements hurts me. That is what I loved about it, it's basically Vanilla but with QoL stuff. Raiding was really never the same for me after BC.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely miss attunement.

But that's a different game, now. WoW is something else.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
People hating on BC because it being a challenge and having things like attunements hurts me. That is what I loved about it, it's basically Vanilla but with QoL stuff. Raiding was really never the same for me after BC.

Having been a guild leader at the time, attunement was just horrible. Trying to herd 40 cats was bad enough.. trying to get everyone attuned and then replenish when you lost people was horrible.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
WotLK > Mists > Legion > BC > BFA > Vanilla > Cata > WoD

I understand all the hate with BFA but it's just second time (the first being Mists) that I've gotten every class to max. A lot of BFA that I like first happened in Legion though.

Nah, I've always been Moon Guard.

A few days ago my guild learned that RPing in Goldshire on Moon Guard was still a thing and started trolling there. Was one of the cringiest things I've watched.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
It's kind of a bummer that after all the years of being teased, Nyalotha is... just a raid zone. I wanted an old god zone to actually explore and quest in.

It's a bit like how the Nerubian kingdom ended up just being two dungeons instead of a whole zone.

since it's all kinda undefined

Wrathion's dialogue implies this may not be the "real" Ny'alotha since it's all a possible future so I wouldn't rule out the chance to actually have an old god expansion again in 6-10 years.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, Ny'alotha really seems like we're just kicking the can down the road a little further to a proper void expansion where we'll see all these things pop up again. We prevent them from taking over Azeroth for now, but we already know there's more of them lurking out there and we've set one of them free to potentially bring a bigger force to us.

But given how they keep changing their mind on whether or not Chronicles is actual canon, maybe they just want to ditch the whole old god plot entirely and move onto more war and Sylvannas pandering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
All of 8.3 seems like as much of a course correction as one could get from BFA. I feel this wasn't how they wanted to end the expansion at all but they also didn't want to just drop support like they did for Warlords.

I'm not saying it won't be good - in fact, I'm looking forward to a lot of it and took next Wednesday off for it, lol, but nothing about this expansion went how they wanted it to go and a lot of 8.3 seems like a sampling of features that are probably gonna pop up again in Shadowlands.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else had world quests stop popping up on their map? It's happening to just 1 of my characters.

Blizzard thinks I need to blow away all addons and start fresh (not just disable them) but ughh I can't bear the thought. I feel it was addons then I'd have experienced it with multiple toons.

I'm inclined to abandon the alt for the rest of the content I think.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
since it's all kinda undefined

Wrathion's dialogue implies this may not be the "real" Ny'alotha since it's all a possible future so I wouldn't rule out the chance to actually have an old god expansion again in 6-10 years.

I dunno if the writers can "handle" an old god expansion. Most of the old god content currently is:

Character hears whispers
Character goes crazy
Character grows tentacles
You kill character while something whispers that you're alone in the universe and a pawn for the triangle of diamond stars

Repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hate the Old Gods as a concept.

1. Seeing/fighting physical manifestations of eldritch horrors ruins the dread/fear they could bring. The same applies to every H. P. Lovecraft adaptation that shows the monsters.

2. Having the Old Gods easily corrupt characters and turn them into bosses means character motivation never has to come into play, which makes the story much weaker.

Side note: Fighting the Old Gods could be a good new calling for the Forsaken considering they can't be corrupted/controlled by them.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I kinda hate the Old Gods as a concept.

1. Seeing/fighting physical manifestations of eldritch horrors ruins the dread/fear they could bring. The same applies to every H. P. Lovecraft adaptation that shows the monsters.

2. Having the Old Gods easily corrupt characters and turn them into bosses means character motivation never has to come into play, which makes the story much weaker.

Side note: Fighting the Old Gods could be a good new calling for the Forsaken considering they can't be corrupted/controlled by them.

That would be pretty cool to give the Forsaken a purpose again by having them hunt the void/Old God worshippers.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else had world quests stop popping up on their map? It's happening to just 1 of my characters.

Blizzard thinks I need to blow away all addons and start fresh (not just disable them) but ughh I can't bear the thought. I feel it was addons then I'd have experienced it with multiple toons.

I'm inclined to abandon the alt for the rest of the content I think.

Try clicking on the magnifying glass button in the top-right corner of your map, and make sure that all the World Quest types are checked.

lFcyfKn.png

99% chance that works.

If it doesn't, then you can always backup your Interface/AddOns folder before you delete it (though that hopefully won't be necessary).

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Try clicking on the magnifying glass button in the top-right corner of your map, and make sure that all the World Quest types are checked.

lFcyfKn.png

99% chance that works.

If it doesn't, then you can always backup your Interface/AddOns folder before you delete it (though that hopefully won't be necessary).

Good grief I must have lost some brain cells along with the sleep lately. Thanks.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Getting ready to resub for 8.3 like....

"Oh shit, here I go again...."

It was nice playing all those other games for awhile. But new content is new content. I'm bummed I'm shelving Operencia. A really old school Ultima Underworld type game. Included with Gamepass too.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, estimations based on the length the expansion has been out? Yeah... I am not gonna put much stock in that. I remember they said the development was behind compared to BFA at blizcon... so that is why people predict later release.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Getting ready to resub for 8.3 like....

"Oh shit, here I go again...."

It was nice playing all those other games for awhile. But new content is new content. I'm bummed I'm shelving Operencia. A really old school Ultima Underworld type game. Included with Gamepass too.

Exactly. I got some good game time in on other things but it's time to get back to the game I love to love/hate.

Oh, estimations based on the length the expansion has been out? Yeah... I am not gonna put much stock in that. I remember they said the development was behind compared to BFA at blizcon... so that is why people predict later release.

Well you can't really do much more than that. None of us work for Blizzard or have insider information so all we can do is speculate - hence, the link I shared.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna play but I've been playing with the same group since 2009 and they've pretty much all quit since BFA came out. I guess ten and a half years is a pretty good run with any group of online friends but I'm too old to make new friends.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I wanna play but I've been playing with the same group since 2009 and they've pretty much all quit since BFA came out. I guess ten and a half years is a pretty good run with any group of online friends but I'm too old to make new friends.

Our group is ten years old, mostly, as well and it's great. I have a few other WoW friends but if this one ever truly bit the dust I don't know where I'd end up.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

This is where I'm at. I played with a very solid crew for so many years. Now they are either not playing, or spread around playing Classic.

I'm playing again after 2 years, shaking off the rust. I have 2 good friends left and we've done some Mythic +10 stuff but when we've done this it's my first time seeing the dungeon and I clearly don't know the mechanics well enough. It's going ok but it isn't the same as learning it with them. I've resisted joining a new guild because I don't want to play with obligations at this point.

The dungeon thing is fun and will level off but it's tough to jump into the deep end and learn the mechanics on the fly. So far we did Motherlode (threading the needle between trash we didn't want to pull while having the earthquake weekly bit, ugh) and Underrot (last boss sucked) on +10.

Status
Not open for further replies.