• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
What's your motivation for wanting to play? Interest in Warcraft lore/story? Looking for a new PvE MMO? PvP? Friends?

WoW's story/writing has consistently been quite bad—the worst sort of comic book writing. The current expansion is not too highly regarded for PvE, and the game's PvP is in complete disrepair.

Friends are genuinely the only reason to play at the moment, from my perspective.

Honestly i think the lore is a huge part as well as the the...progression I suppose of building this character.

BolognaOni

Oct 27, 2017
I need a very simple addon that will allow me to show short buffs/debuffs (i.e. my HotS and decursable debuffs from the enemy) on my party for M+ runs. Ideally it works well for raids, too, but I'm not really planning on healing raids anytime soon, lol.

I really like the simplicity of my current UI using Shadowed Unit Frames, so I don't wanna fuck around with it too much, esp. since I spend the majority of my time as Balance/dps.

Is there anything I can use? I tried Raven. I can't seem to figure out how to customize the layout, but I like its general look of timer icons to show buffs/debuffs.

Vuhdo and healbot seem to the two popular options. Not sure if either could be classified as simple, but with a bit of config work should be very powerful.

Personally I use Vuhdo, it's very unobtrusive when configured for M+, really helps maximize sweet kitty dps time. Assuming people aren't standing in crap and you get to do anything other than spam heals...

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I do enjoy the horrific vision concept, but I dislike the timer portion of it. I don't like the feeling of constantly being rushed.

I got bummed out yesterday logging into my rogue who has his class mount set as the default. Legion had so much awesome extra content between that and artifacts, which were far superior to the necklace. That was such a good expansion.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Vuhdo and healbot seem to the two popular options. Not sure if either could be classified as simple, but with a bit of config work should be very powerful.

Personally I use Vuhdo, it's very unobtrusive when configured for M+, really helps maximize sweet kitty dps time. Assuming people aren't standing in crap and you get to do anything other than spam heals...

Addon configuration is the bane of my existence. It took me a full 20 minutes to figure out how to use WA to make a big fucking shiny icon show up near my player when a critical buff procs so I know to change my rotation (Streaking Stars on Boomkin). Apparently, that's like, a simple configuration, lol.

I'll check out Vuhdo.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Addon configuration is the bane of my existence. It took me a full 20 minutes to figure out how to use WA to make a big fucking shiny icon show up near my player when a critical buff procs so I know to change my rotation (Streaking Stars on Boomkin). Apparently, that's like, a simple configuration, lol.

I'll check out Vuhdo.

If you're trying to customize icons to track your own procs and debuffs, consider TellMeWhen. It's less powerful than WeakAuras, but it's way easier to use in my opinion and can still do everything that normal players need.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I completed my first 5 chest Vision last night. It seems like the first mask it gives you (Long Night) is actually probably the hardest, whereas the two you can get out of Stormwind look fairly easy. So I guess before the reset, I'll try to hop back in two more times and get those other two masks, so that I can have more options for future weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I completed my first 5 chest Vision last night. It seems like the first mask it gives you (Long Night) is actually probably the hardest, whereas the two you can get out of Stormwind look fairly easy. So I guess before the reset, I'll try to hop back in two more times and get those other two masks, so that I can have more options for future weeks.

Correct, the first mask is not only the hardest to obtain but it also has probably the hardest effect since it halves your sanity.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Are they proving to be the best to solo this content?
The DH is one of my primary alts as well. They're fun, fast, extremely strong. Shit's just unfair.

It's still early, but I think DH does a better job than most except if a class simply overgears the encounter or got lucky with lol OP rng corrupted items. DHs mobility, survivability and AOE dps make it uniquely suited. My DH does a better run than my main Hunter who is better geared.

I think we are still in the early learning stage and the encounter is definitely tuned for a full talent tree. Plus blizz is going to tweak things as well.

Gold

Oct 27, 2017
Holy moly finally got this mount.
QfB52Wy.png

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
We got to 11/12 Normal last night and all of us are like "fuck it - we're going to heroic now" without killing that shit last boss.

I'm fine with it. We expect some tuning will come to N'zoth soon. We did some blind pulls just for fun but I have no desire to bash my head against the wall against a normal boss when we could be progressing in heroic instead.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all routinely do a +10 or +15 every single week? I find +9s chaotic enough in the pugs I go in. I'm a bit scared for higher, lmao.

What should I be aiming for these days as a 445? It's tough to know what your target + should be when you actually get rejected from +2 and +3 sometimes.

I've been getting a 15 done each week with my guild. I don't have the gear right now to time them though. Once I get a weapon I should be able to start pulling my weight.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Do you all routinely do a +10 or +15 every single week? I find +9s chaotic enough in the pugs I go in. I'm a bit scared for higher, lmao.

What should I be aiming for these days as a 445? It's tough to know what your target + should be when you actually get rejected from +2 and +3 sometimes.
I timed a 15 Motherlode this week with a friend. We did a 16 Siege of Boralus but missed the timer.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was a good night. We downed N'zoth finally and then got three bosses on heroic down.

Our main issue with N'zoth was the second mindgate group. Since you have to send two separate groups through in heroic we were trying that to get used to it but group 2, which I was tanking with, just kept struggling to down the mob in time. Once we started sending group 1 down both times it went fairly smoothly. We think we just need some more gear for some people to pull off the two group method.

The first few bosses on heroic remain pretty easy. A paladin and warrior got Sk'shuul Vazz but I missed it. Sad DK times.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Can't wait for the Echoing Void nerfs today. It's kind of funny how it was so broken and overpowered that Warcraftlogs is basically wiping old parses by splitting them between pre and post nerf.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Infinite Stars the single most OP and imbalanced corruption trait? Or has something changed and Echoing Void was the right one to nerf?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they proving to be the best to solo this content?
The DH is one of my primary alts as well. They're fun, fast, extremely strong. Shit's just unfair.
I find DH to be kinda squishy in certain situations. I feel like my Fury Warrior main is way more reliable at taking damage and self healing. Maybe I just suck at playing DH or I don't have some crucial talent that I need to have, but I kinda prefer Fury Warrior over DH as far as survivability in solo Horrific Visions is concerned. In any case they are both good Visions solo classes, now speaking of Mages... it's just sad.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that's just plain unfair. No wonder people are flipping out.

I'm realizing that I'm a pretty good player and have been for a long time, but for someone who spends as much time and energy on the game as I do, I should be better. Haha. The furthest I've ever taken my rotations and gameplay has been to like, dot snapshotting back when that was a thing. Im not the type of player to have a dozen WAs set up to maximize every single iota of dps at every instant. Does it take that level of play to succeed at +10 to +15 or heroic raiding?

I could probably do a few things to tighten up my rotation and play as a balance druid. I don't always cast the most optimal spell at every instant. I don't have the numbers memorized when it comes to things like when do I cast Lunar Strike vs Starfall, or when is an empowered LS better than a standard Solar Wrath on single target. Do you guys get into it that much as dps?

I was always a healer for raiding till Cata and our level of sophistication was like, mana up using the Five Second Rule and spam heals, rotate our cooldowns and keep people up. Lol.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that's just plain unfair. No wonder people are flipping out.

I'm realizing that I'm a pretty good player and have been for a long time, but for someone who spends as much time and energy on the game as I do, I should be better. Haha. The furthest I've ever taken my rotations and gameplay has been to like, dot snapshotting back when that was a thing. Im not the type of player to have a dozen WAs set up to maximize every single iota of dps at every instant. Does it take that level of play to succeed at +10 to +15 or heroic raiding?

I could probably do a few things to tighten up my rotation and play as a balance druid. I don't always cast the most optimal spell at every instant. I don't have the numbers memorized when it comes to things like when do I cast Lunar Strike vs Starfall, or when is an empowered LS better than a standard Solar Wrath on single target. Do you guys get into it that much as dps?

I was always a healer for raiding till Cata and our level of sophistication was like, mana up using the Five Second Rule and spam heals, rotate our cooldowns and keep people up. Lol.

Heroic raiding you'd be fine, for mythics it depends on if you want to time them or just clear. Clearing them you might struggle some but you'd get there, timing something like a +15 is damn hard. As frost DK I do have a bunch of WAs and such but I'm far from top level. I don't even know if I'd qualify as high level. When I started raiding with my current guild I used warcraftanalyzer and warcraftlogs to see where my weak spots are. And after all that time I still have some of the same errors I did then but at this point I do just fine with the level of content I want to do so I'm not stressing over going harder into things.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Recently resubbed to the game but decided I needed a fresh start on a new server (hopefully high population) that is on the west coast so I can hopefully find a group that plays late night (~10PM CT and later). Going to check out the ERA groups but please shoot me a PM if anyone has a guild on Proudmoore or similar!

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
My Druid got crap again in his chest but at least the 475 azerite piece I bought was decent. Plus I got an upgrade from my pvp chest. Between those and swapping some gear around with the corruption changes my Druid gained 40k hp. My Warrior got a shield in his cache which was a big upgrade and the 460 azerite piece I bought on him was nice as well.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I got a trinket from my chest. Watching everyone get hot corruption gear while I'm still sitting here way below my resistance level is fun.

At least it wasn't the worst trinket in the game currently...

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
how is questing in legion and BFA? I placed through TBC and WoTLK and am mainly a quest/lore nerd. Considering coming back for a little, my account is only Legion level and not sure if I want to buy the new expansion when I know I wont play long

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
how is questing in legion and BFA? I placed through TBC and WoTLK and am mainly a quest/lore nerd. Considering coming back for a little, my account is only Legion level and not sure if I want to buy the new expansion when I know I wont play long
Questing nowadays is very different and each zone tends to have a single narrative arc. It's enjoyable enough and both Legion and BFA were good about adding in additional quest hubs that don't have anything to do with the main story areas, but there's not a heck of a lot to explore thanks to it.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
My Druid got crap again in his chest but at least the 475 azerite piece I bought was decent. Plus I got an upgrade from my pvp chest. Between those and swapping some gear around with the corruption changes my Druid gained 40k hp. My Warrior got a shield in his cache which was a big upgrade and the 460 azerite piece I bought on him was nice as well.
Damn is it possible to have earned enough Residuum already this season to buy 475s?

Sometimes, I get so mad at myself for playing so much yet knowing so little about how to maximize my time in the game. Lol

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I got to 120 but I can't see the new Pandaria, I went there to do the world boss but it wasn't there so I'm guessing there's a prereq? I can't seem to find what on Google though.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I got to 120 but I can't see the new Pandaria, I went there to do the world boss but it wasn't there so I'm guessing there's a prereq? I can't seem to find what on Google though.

The Vale world boss isn't up this week, it rotates with the Uldum one. But yeah, also you need to do the 8.3 questline that involves the legendary cloak and invasions/visions. I know for horde it starts with the the blood elf lady in the main building in Zuldazar.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Same lol I read this and ran to the residuum vendor. Still don't have enough for an upgrade but pretty close to a 460 piece.

Holy shit it's only 900 TR for a 460 piece? Sweet!! I didn't realize how much you get out of a M+ Chest. I haven't really been doing M+ consistently this expansion. I just looked and I have 1,815 somehow, so I must have gotten a lot out of today's chest.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leveling up and questing always was and I think always will be my favorite part of WoW. While main story can sometimes get a bit... too much and too convoluted, what really shines in WoW are all these side stories in each zone.

Like others pointed out, starting with Cataclysm, each zone now has self-contained story line with beginning and an end. On the map you can track each zone's story progress. Some zones can be completed in a couple of hours, while others have colossal huge stories that are as long as some single player RPGs.

You don't need to buy BfA right away, you can just start playing with your current account level which will be good up to level 110. This will take you weeks of normal playing, by the time you reach 110 you'll know if you want to continue or not.

And last thing to note, there's a big leveling revamp coming with patch 9.0 along with Shadowlands expansion late this year. It will be almost as big as revamp that came with Cataclysm.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I just wanna say: it is amazing what having a dedicated AoE azerite set, and a dedicated ST azerite set will do for your DPS in those scenarios.

I picked up a few pieces yesterday that let me move away from trying to split the difference with what pieces I had, and... whew, lads. We're eating good.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Devs got much better at communication in Legion/BFA, with those deep-dive patch preview vids, etc. When do you think we'll next hear from them on anything, SL or otherwise?

Or do you think they'll rely strictly on fansites like Wowhead to carry Alpha datamining news out and have that sustain WoW all spring/summer? (doesn't seem smart imo)

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I feel like the Devs got much better at communication in Legion/BFA, with those deep-dive patch preview vids, etc. When do you think we'll next hear from them on anything, SL or otherwise?

Or do you think they'll rely strictly on fansites like Wowhead to carry Alpha datamining news out and have that sustain WoW all spring/summer? (doesn't seem smart imo)
I think it'd be smart for them to get out ahead of datamining and just do a lot of deep dive previews, and make it clear what their intentions are with certain systems/content, and what facets of it they're looking for feedback on, what they're open to changing, what's most liable to change, etc. I think it'd generate goodwill with the community, at the very least for making people feel a bit more "included" in the thoughtprocesses.

"It's beta/alpha, it will change!!!!" with relative silence has simply not panned out in the community's (and arguably Blizzard's) favor.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'd be smart for them to get out ahead of datamining and just do a lot of deep dive previews, and make it clear what their intentions are with certain systems/content, and what facets of it they're looking for feedback on, what they're open to changing, what's most liable to change, etc. I think it'd generate goodwill with the community, at the very least for making people feel a bit more "included" in the thoughtprocesses.

"It's beta/alpha, it will change!!!!" with relative silence has simply not panned out in the community's (and arguably Blizzard's) favor.
Agreed 100%. I think something's probably brewing.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
We're running out of 8.3 really fast, so if they're not going to give us a big infodump soon people are going to get testy.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Ion interview excerpts. Lmao @ being satisfied with NZoth payoff. Glad SL news is soon.

N'Zoth Death and Cinematics
  • There are definitely hints about where things are heading in the future future that people will hopefully look back on after Shadowlands
  • Regarding the N'Zoth payoff, they're satisfied with how it turned out. They've definitely heard feedback from the community - there's some element of "that was it".
  • A regret is how the cinematic with how the cinematic was viewed by most people. It was designed of you the character), of you the player) being the hero -- they're thinking back to criticism they've gotten in the past such as with Thrall and the Deathwing cinematic.
Shadowlands
  • Lot to talk about about Shadowlands in the very near future

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, I dunno. They flat out lied about shamans and shadow priests. And BFA was home to Lore's ridiculous combative and dismissive post about azerite (that players were 100 percent right about for months).

The good thing is you see less Lore these days. Somebody that bad at communication should not be your public voice.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand I miss the Q&As they used to do but on the other I don't pout as much stock into what Ion says as I used to so I'm not sure I care too much if they were to start doing them again. I really don't envy that guy, he's definitely culpable for some bad decisions but all the shit from the executives has to be hard to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.