• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. However, where does several pieces of gear come in? I was under the impression that you could get one piece of gear guaranteed per week, and it would be based on your best type of completion, such as two masks, three masks or whatever.

You can get one piece of gear from each gear "tier" once per week. When you complete a run, if you already got gear from that tier, then you'll get a piece from the next highest tier that you haven't already obtained for that week.

Example, if you did these 5 runs in a single week...

1. 2 Mask = 455 gear (2 mask tier)
2. 2 Mask = 450 gear (1 mask tier, since you already got 2 mask tier)
3. 1 Mask = 445 gear (0 mask tier, since you already got 1 mask tier)
4. 2 mask = 430 gear (Partial clear tier, since you already got all three tiers above this)
5. 3 mask = 460 gear (3 mask tier)

I'm probably making it out to be more confusing than it needs to be. But the point is you can get gear from each tier once per week. :P

So, once you're set up for Visions, you can get a 470, 465, 460, 455, and 450 all in one week, which is why I'm super excited for those to all be corrupted come next Tuesday.

Last edited:

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
So a fresh 120 just getting world quests started and I already completed one pass and upgraded with 3 385 pieces and 1 400 helm from dungeons. Where should I go next: Do the two invasion quests and race to unlock the final zone, save jenna, Mechaganon Island, or spam dungeons?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Probably run through all of the war campaign quests first, they give you stacks of AP. Other than that grab your legendary cloak.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Do the opening parts of the Nazjatar campaign to unlock essences immediately, do the black empire campaign to get your cloak, then start blowing through the war campign to get stacks of azerite and unlock higher ranks of crucible of flame.

I used a boost on a druid a few days ago and she's already kicking at 440 ilvl just by following that and doing the emissaries/assaults.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
And just like that, I slam-dunked a full clear of Orgrimmar with 2 full charges of Sanity Restoration Orb to spare, lol. I don't think I even used the emergency death recovery thing either, so wow, big improvement. Now for masks. IDK where to find one yet. I might snoop around and find it myself, but will probably wowhead it. lol.

edit-
oh, lmao, didn't realize I just earned one by doing a full clear.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah, first try Mask +1 clear. Nice. And unlocked two more!
This is so much fun. Super worthy successor to Mage Tower challenges imo.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah, first try Mask +1 clear. Nice. And unlocked two more!
This is so much fun. Super worthy successor to Mage Tower challenges imo.

The first Mask (Longest Night) is also arguably the hardest, so if you can do a full clear with that one then you're well on your way!

If you don't mind some light spoilers, the last two masks come from
the other Horrific Vision, so you'll only be able to get them next week.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The first Mask (Longest Night) is also arguably the hardest, so if you can do a full clear with that one then you're well on your way!

If you don't mind some light spoilers, the last two masks come from
the other Horrific Vision, so you'll only be able to get them next week.

Woohoo!
Yeah, I was worried at first since halving your sanity sounded terrifying, but somehow it wasn't so bad. Also, all the recovery factors (like Elite kills and potions) heal a fixed value, rather than a %, so they invariably healed me up to max each time, as long as I wasn't near 0 sanity.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So they give us what we want, but not quite, we still have to farm a new currency because reasons.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with there being a mechanic beyond just automatically getting them, but if it's at most 1 essence per week then it's still not really addressing the problem.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Woohoo!
Yeah, I was worried at first since halving your sanity sounded terrifying, but somehow it wasn't so bad. Also, all the recovery factors (like Elite kills and potions) heal a fixed value, rather than a %, so they invariably healed me up to max each time, as long as I wasn't near 0 sanity.

Yeah, the hardest part of 5 mask is the half sanity mask + the 400% increased sanity damage mask. Even small mistakes on mechanics can snowball into half of your total sanity bar being drained in a matter of seconds.

Total sanity for the whole run isn't really a problem thanks to cloak resistance and various sanity restoration mechanics, as you mentioned, but it definitely makes you way more susceptible to "burst" sanity damage.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And stuff like unlocking the Alliance zones as Horde and vice versa, why the hell aren't those account wide? I've done them like 7 times this expansion. Ideally they'd go the same route as GW2 or FF and just have everything account wide, if they did I'd be playing nearly every class regularly.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm ok with there being a mechanic beyond just automatically getting them, but if it's at most 1 essence per week then it's still not really addressing the problem.
They mentioned a few activities so it'd be kind of stupid to lock you out arbitrarily after getting one, but this is Ion's WoW so...

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
They mentioned a few activities so it'd be kind of stupid to lock you out arbitrarily after getting one, but this is Ion's WoW so...

I don't mean a hard purchase limit, I just mean the amount of the new currency you can get/the cost of the essences being such that it's still going to take you a while to get caught up on an alt. Hopefully that is not the case.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't mean a hard purchase limit, I just mean the amount of the new currency you can get/the cost of the essences being such that it's still going to take you a while to get caught up on an alt. Hopefully that is not the case.
Right, that's what I figured you meant. The blue post mentioned being able to get them from dungeons, raids and assaults so that's the main reason I'm holding out any sort of hope they won't do the likely, stupid thing.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
So thanks to everyone for the info! I unlocked the Tempest (FFXIV joke lol) and I picked up all the Bethnic gear. However, there is no rings or trinkets to buy. I believe you get them from mechagon island quests? Should I bother with that or just try dungeons?

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
So thanks to everyone for the info! I unlocked the Tempest (FFXIV joke lol) and I picked up all the Bethnic gear. However, there is no rings or trinkets to buy. I believe you get them from mechagon island quests? Should I bother with that or just try dungeons?
Go into dungeons, IMO. The Mechagon stuff is way too much grinding for the relative power of those items.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Rings and trinkets around the same level you get from mechagon do pop up somewhat regularly as the Tortollan Trader's Stock. You can't target specific slots and the trinkets especially aren't very good, but it'll fill the void until you get upgrades elsewhere.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand economics b/c I'm a dummy. If subs go up next week/month with (1) the changes to Visions + Essences and (2) lol WFH population skyrocketing, would the Token gold value likely go UP or DOWN?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand economics b/c I'm a dummy. If subs go up next week/month with (1) the changes to Visions + Essences and (2) lol WFH population skyrocketing, would the Token gold value likely go UP or DOWN?

More subs means more expensive tokens. BUT sometimes the token prices reflect good news immediately. They are around 147k now. I've seen them as low as 143k. But if you are in the market to buy, I would buy prior to the patch. This announcement hasn't moved the prices yet. There is also usually a 3-5k daily swing.

If you want the best bargain, visit the token tracker website to see the best day and time of day to buy.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

Anything that increases demand for subs or b.net balance tends to increase the gold price of a token.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

If you're looking for a good starter trinket and have some disposable income, the Highborne Compendium trinkets are pretty strong. They'll likely last you until you're getting Nyalotha trinkets or 445+ ilvl stuff.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
More subs means more expensive tokens. BUT sometimes the token prices reflect good news immediately. They are around 147k now. I've seen them as low as 143k. But if you are in the market to buy, I would buy prior to the patch. This announcement hasn't moved the prices yet. There is also usually a 3-5k daily swing.

If you want the best bargain, visit the token tracker website to see the best day and time of day to buy.
Anything that increases demand for subs or b.net balance tends to increase the gold price of a token.

Thanks guys. Yeah, in NA, they tumbled to like 139k or something this morning but are back up. I have 3 to sell for gold, so I'll wait and see if it they climb Tuesday I guess.

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019

On Tuesday Timewalking Wrath begins, the dungeons should drop 425 gear with 410 buyable on vendor (idk if the items on vendors are universal for these between the timewalking sets, but last one had weapons, rings and trinkets iirc), believe the Heroic dungeon gear is only like 415 so the 425s from this will be better, at 120 you can also do the 5 timewalking dungeon weekly quest to get a like 460 piece

Can also look at getting into a Heroic Warfront via the Custom Group they should be up soonish, the Darkshore one also gives a like 460 for the quest, the Hillsbrad one was like 430, though you will need a bit higher ilvl to join these (like 400-420ish range)

If you didn't unlock the new legendary cloak and the 2 assaults you can get gear there too and do the open world raid boss that drops 445, the assaults can also give you the newer version of benthic equivalent of 410 stuff

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Rings and trinkets around the same level you get from mechagon do pop up somewhat regularly as the Tortollan Trader's Stock. You can't target specific slots and the trinkets especially aren't very good, but it'll fill the void until you get upgrades elsewhere.

What is this Tortollan Trader stock? Do I need high rep to buy anything?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What is this Tortollan Trader stock? Do I need high rep to buy anything?
It's a reward from Tortollan Seekers world quests and emissaries. Once you get one, it's immediately changed into a spec appropriate ring or trinket.

If it's the reward for a Tortollan Seekers emissary it can scale up to a 445 epic item, but it's normally a 415/420 reward.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Someone educate me on why the two big changes happening Tuesday can't be hotfixes that go into play right away. Waiting till Tuesday for Vision runs and Alt Essences sucks.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Someone educate me on why the two big changes happening Tuesday can't be hotfixes that go into play right away. Waiting till Tuesday for Vision runs and Alt Essences sucks.

They're aligning them with the weekly restart so that they don't punish players who might have done things earlier on the week. If you ran a bunch of Visions and cleared Nyalotha on Tuesday, you'd be pretty bummed if both hotfixes went out the very next day and you lost your chance at a bunch of Corrupted items / Essence currency.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Thought about leveling another alt but I can't immediately go through leveling 1-120 again after just doing it. May work on leveling an alt already at a decent level instead.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Despite telling myself I wasn't leveling anything until the squish I got an idea for a character I loved and started leveling an arms warrior. I've already got a warrior to 120 that I played as fury and man, I'm absolutely loving the arms playstyle over fury. It just feels so brutal.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Could you just imagine how awesome it'd be to have the new leveling experience available during this quarantine period? Man. The game would be alive with an influx of new characters and populations.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Every damn human female name that is remotely good is taken.

Wonder how many have just created level 1's so they can keep the name. :(

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Despite telling myself I wasn't leveling anything until the squish I got an idea for a character I loved and started leveling an arms warrior. I've already got a warrior to 120 that I played as fury and man, I'm absolutely loving the arms playstyle over fury. It just feels so brutal.
It really does feel great. Just wait until you get the azerite traits and can abuse Test of Might to get gigantic hits. Seriously, you can get like +5500 strength for the duration if you play it right.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It really does feel great. Just wait until you get the azerite traits and can abuse Test of Might to get gigantic hits. Seriously, you can get like +5500 strength for the duration if you play it right.

It's only 62 but it's already my primary alt. I've not fallen for a class or spec this hard since making a frost DK after playing my first character, a paladin, for quite a while.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's only 62 but it's already my primary alt. I've not fallen for a class or spec this hard since making a frost DK after playing my first character, a paladin, for quite a while.
It's so much fun and the azertie traits totally change how the class plays. It's really a ton of fun. I've been trying to get the best azerite essences for the class, as it's the last thing to do to gear up, and getting the ideals in each spot also has a huge effect on how I play.

I know people hate this expansion, but I have to be honest when I say I really have been enjoying it.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's so much fun and the azertie traits totally change how the class plays. It's really a ton of fun. I've been trying to get the best azerite essences for the class, as it's the last thing to do to gear up, and getting the ideals in each spot also has a huge effect on how I play.

I know people hate this expansion, but I have to be honest when I say I really have been enjoying it.

I have too but a lot of that has been finding a pretty fantastic guild to raid with. Raiding was something I was never interested in but figured I'd at least give it a shot and now I've made some new friends through it and found new parts of the game I enjoy. So, despite my problems with some of the systems or design of the expac, I'll always look back on it fondly.

Status
Not open for further replies.