• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's so much fun and the azertie traits totally change how the class plays. It's really a ton of fun. I've been trying to get the best azerite essences for the class, as it's the last thing to do to gear up, and getting the ideals in each spot also has a huge effect on how I play.

I know people hate this expansion, but I have to be honest when I say I really have been enjoying it.
Yo, me too! I'm in a position to enjoy more alts with all classes at 120 or close to it. Getting the Az Traits and Essences into place to try out different playstyles has been a lot of fun.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the expansion a lot as well. I only cooled off on it when after 2-3 seasons of mythic dungeon content started to get old. The seasonal affix was not enough to maintain my interest in pushing for higher keys and gearing up for the third/fourth time was not a big draw.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what's going to be cut from Shadowlands. There's always something.

Probably something small. Legion and BfA didn't cut much.

On the other hand, it's kind of incredible how much content was cut from WoD:

1. The original Alliance and Horde capitals (Bladespire and Karabor) were cut with Ashran outposts in place of them. Karabor's interior wasn't even ever finished.
2. The entire zone of Farahlon
3. Being able to switch the zone your Garrison was in was scrapped in favor of Garrison outposts.
4. The Shattrath raid was canceled (and the interior also wasn't finished).
5. Gorgrond was entirely scrapped/redone during Alpha/Beta. The Grimrail Depot dungeon was originally going to actually exist in the zone, but it was relegated to its own instance instead.

And a bunch of smaller stuff.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Probably something small. Legion and BfA didn't cut much.

On the other hand, it's kind of incredible how much content was cut from WoD:

1. The original Alliance and Horde capitals (Bladespire and Karabor) were cut with Ashran outposts in place of them. Karabor's interior wasn't even ever finished.
2. The entire zone of Farahlon
3. Being able to switch the zone your Garrison was in was scrapped in favor of Garrison outposts.
4. The Shattrath raid was canceled (and the interior also wasn't finished).
5. Gorgrond was entirely scrapped/redone during Alpha/Beta. The Grimrail Depot dungeon was originally going to actually exist in the zone, but it was relegated to its own instance instead.

And a bunch of smaller stuff.
Was it all about putting content and attention in to Legion instead? Because damn was that expansion rich with content. I keep hoping we'll see another expansion with that volume of content again but it almost doesn't seem plausible. That said, I do find that there's a lot to do in BFA so volume is possible especially since the team is allegedly larger than it's ever been. Right?

I'm so ready and hungry for Shadowlands information. When do you think we'll get our next big dump of info? Ion said soon. April?

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Was it all about putting content and attention in to Legion instead? Because damn was that expansion rich with content. I keep hoping we'll see another expansion with that volume of content again but it almost doesn't seem plausible. That said, I do find that there's a lot to do in BFA so volume is possible especially since the team is allegedly larger than it's ever been. Right?

Warlords of Draenor was an experiment; the team's first try at yearly expansions... which was a terrible idea and Blizzard backtracked on it immediately. However, because of this approach, it seemed like the team had a better head start with the next expansion (Legion), which is probably why it was announced early at Gamescom.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Welp, we are back at working from home until at least the 30th so maybe I'll level after all.

Had a lady lie about having COVID today to prevent a late fee (I work at a library) so I'm too stressed to do anything now but maybe later.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
This is confusing to me:
www.wowhead.com

Eternal Palace and Battleground Essences Require Exact Essence to Unlock with Echoes of Ny'alotha

The Eternal Palace and Battleground essences require the exact Essence on another character to unlock. This means that pure DPS mains will not be able to unlock the Tank and Healer essences from these sources unless they have obtained them on another character that can Tank and/or Heal.
Having a rank 3 version of the essence from EP will only unlock it for the role that has it. I.E. if you got rank 3 of the DPS essence, you'd still have to farm the raid to get the rank 3 for other roles from the beginning.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Having a rank 3 version of the essence from EP will only unlock it for the role that has it. I.E. if you got rank 3 of the DPS essence, you'd still have to farm the remainder to get the rank 3 for other roles from the beginning.

Worth mentioning that generally there's a reduced cost to get your second essence in a category, though!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok. I didn't realize that there were different essences to get from EP and BGs. Jesus, so people will have to repeat those particular grinds if they already did them, but only if they did them on a pure DPS class?

So if I unlock them on a druid, I'm fine? Or only for the druid role I chose? I remain confused. Haha.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Ah ok. I didn't realize that there were different essences to get from EP and BGs. Jesus, so people will have to repeat those particular grinds if they already did them, but only if they did them on a pure DPS class?

So if I unlock them on a druid, I'm fine? Or only for the druid role I chose? I remain confused. Haha.
Just the ones you chose will be available. For BGs it's not as bad since the prerequisite for all of them are the same, and you just have to grind out the marks to get the other essences. In the EP, less so.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, BIG PSA:
www.wowhead.com

Unlock Echoes of Ny'alotha by Logging on a Character with a Rank 3 Essence

In order to unlock the Echoes of Ny'alotha system and receive the currency from sources, Blizzard has announced that you must first log on a character with a Rank 3 Essence. If you don't, your chest will not contain Echoes of Ny'alotha and Blizzard will not be able to help.

Make sure you log onto your main first who has at least one rank 3 essence in order to be able to earn Echoes on any other character, including your weekly chests. Blizzard said they won't be fixing this and rewarding Echoes for players.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Just the ones you chose will be available. For BGs it's not as bad since the prerequisite for all of them are the same, and you just have to grind out the marks to get the other essences. In the EP, less so.

So why are people who main druids, paladins and monks being all like "this doesn't affect me, I'm fine"? They would have had to pick one of the role essences as well after the grind?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So why are people who main druids, paladins and monks being all like "this doesn't affect me, I'm fine"? They would have had to pick one of the role essences as well after the grind?
It's easier for them to do catchup for the other essences because they have all the roles available and the old catchup mechanics will help them to get whatever they're missing. IE, on my priest I've got the DPS BG essences, and collecting the healer ones just requires me to spend marks. But since I have no tank spec on that character, I have to do the full grind all over again on another character.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's easier for them to do catchup for the other essences because they have all the roles available and the old catchup mechanics will help them to get whatever they're missing. IE, on my priest I've got the DPS BG essences, and collecting the healer ones just requires me to spend marks. But since I have no tank spec on that character, I have to do the full grind all over again on another character.
I see. Thanks for explaining!
In the case of EP essences though, they'd still need to collect another 36 Reliquaries though, yeah? (which, I get is easier if you have a geared main who can do those roles)

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I see. Thanks for explaining!
In the case of EP essences though, they'd still need to collect another 36 Reliquaries though, yeah? (which, I get is easier if you have a geared main who can do those roles)
For hybrids there's a reduction in cost for subsequent reliquary essences. Still a grind, but easier than starting from 0.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Chest and 5 Vision gave me pretty meh items. :| But I finally got a 480 Azerite piece that's good for Fire after two duds before it, so I'm happy with that.

Gonna run more Visions later for more corrupted gear.

Also, it's Wrath Timewalking this week, so I plan to use that to level the alts that I now want to play with the Essence changes.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Real talk: but Shadowlands and a lot of other games are probably going to be delayed. I know we're all mostly rational people in this little corner of the internet and I'm honestly okay with this if it can help anyone less fortunate than I am. I just pray that the ones we don't interact with daily understand it as well.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Real talk: but Shadowlands and a lot of other games are probably going to be delayed. I know we're all mostly rational people in this little corner of the internet and I'm honestly okay with this if it can help anyone less fortunate than I am. I just pray that the ones we don't interact with daily understand it as well.

Honestly I can't even think about it. There's so much going on, I'm worried about everything.

I'm just thankful Doom is still coming out this week. Gotta take it week by week.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Honestly I can't even think about it. There's so much going on, I'm worried about everything.

I'm just thankful Doom is still coming out this week. Gotta take it week by week.

TMI / Real talk v2: I suffer from "light" depression and extreme anxiety. Once I got on medication late last year I was able to start learning how to control what affected me and, honestly, the best I can say is take everything day by day. Worrying about the future only makes it worse.

This helps me a lot. Just try to focus on the now if you can.

This is a WoWERA support group. I'm here for y'all if you need it.

Please don't tell anyone I'm nice. I have a reputation to maintain.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I just think about how many fucking alts im gonna level while working from home. It's gonna be stupid.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I think Shadowlands was already set to come out later than some of the common guesses in here anyway since the indications seemed to point toward fall more than late summer, but I think you can safely mark off late Summer at this point anyway and potentially fall, too.

It's uncharted territory.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Tried a 4 mask run for the first time and failed it, but it felt easy enough that I decided to try a 5 mask run. I made so many mistakes doing it (the worst climbing the mage tower before I closed every portal) but I still did it somehow.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Tried a 3 mask run and was so close. Got to the end of Old Town and accidentally pulled an extra pack. Almost threw my computer out the window.

Horrific visions have really worn out their welcome for me.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Tried a 3 mask run and was so close. Got to the end of Old Town and accidentally pulled an extra pack. Almost threw my computer out the window.

Horrific visions have really worn out their welcome for me.

I got incredibly lucky in my 5 mask run. I was about to run out of sanity early and use my self rez, but then I got a Titan's proc with 8 sanity left which gave me time to finish what I was fighting and place an orb. Ended up using my self rez later in the run.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I got incredibly lucky in my 5 mask run. I was about to run out of sanity early and use my self rez, but then I got a Titan's proc with 8 sanity left which gave me time to finish what I was fighting and place an orb. Ended up using my self rez later in the run.

I had something similar happen on my first 5 mask two weeks ago. I got cocky and pulled a second add with the Trade District boss (chain dude), somehow screwed up all the madnesses at once, failed the chain mechanic, and got stunned under the boss. By some miracle, the extra add I had pulled died and procced Gift of the Titans with 14 Sanity left.

I also blew my free rez by screwing up on the dude below the Mage Tower. That guy sucks on Leader Feet week...

One thing I've learned from doing Mage Towers is that (with our cloaks at the level they're at now + Gift of the Titans), you're MUCH more likely to die from rushing than from Sanity loss. Enter with a goal in mind, and play with the objective of completing that goal. Once you've got a route down and your upgrades unlocked, there's no point in making risky moves to try to optimize your Sanity.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I had something similar happen on my first 5 mask two weeks ago. I got cocky and pulled a second add with the Trade District boss (chain dude), somehow screwed up all the madnesses at once, failed the chain mechanic, and got stunned under the boss. By some miracle, the extra add I had pulled died and procced Gift of the Titans with 14 Sanity left.

I also blew my free rez by screwing up on the dude below the Mage Tower. That guy sucks on Leader Feet week...

One thing I've learned from doing Mage Towers is that (with our cloaks at the level they're at now + Gift of the Titans), you're MUCH more likely to die from rushing than from Sanity loss. Enter with a goal in mind, and play with the objective of completing that goal. Once you've got a route down and your upgrades unlocked, there's no point in making risky moves to try to optimize your Sanity.
I tried a 4 mask run just before it that died in the Mage Quarter, so in my 5 mask run I did it first. The titans proc I had happened while I was clearing the two portals below by the tower. Ended up climbing the mage tower before I closed every portal, so I had to climb back down. Actually kind of worked out because it gave me time to get my CD's back. I ended up using my self rez in the trade district which I did next. My plan was to clear a couple packs and then use an orb, but I got a titans proc early in the trash so I tried to Zerg to the elite and kill it before running out of sanity. Had too much trash left in front of it that I had to focus fire before getting overwhelmed. Did old town next. Was able to reach the boss of old town before using my 2nd orb, which got me to relax a bit. Used my 2nd orb there, then did dwarves district which was easy, letting me use my final orb before Alleria. Didn't actually need the final orb because of how fast I bursted her down. The 470 boots I got from it were worse than the 455 (that should have been 460) boots I got from a 3 mask run just before it, but at least I'm done with it.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
Is there a clear cut formula for the ilevel of horrific vision drops? Like Is it better to do a 2-mask full clear vs a 3-mask partial?

Also I know they have been complained about a lot, but am I missing something with Scorched Feet? You see the fire on your shoes and you're going to randomly jump no matter what? Just try to position as best as possibles?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a clear cut formula for the ilevel of horrific vision drops? Like Is it better to do a 2-mask full clear vs a 3-mask partial?

5 mask clear drops a 470, and the ilvl goes down by 5 for every less mask.
465 for 4
460 for 3
455 for 2
450 for 1
445 for a 0 mask clear

I believe gear only drops from the thrall/alleria chest, so partial clears give no loot (or at least, it will be below 445). Also, you can only get 1 piece from each tier per week, so if you do two 4-mask runs in a row, the 2nd will drop a 460 piece (and then a 455 and so on).

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Also I know they have been complained about a lot, but am I missing something with Scorched Feet? You see the fire on your shoes and you're going to randomly jump no matter what? Just try to position as best as possibles?

When you first get the debuff and your feet light on fire, there's a short (about 2 seconds) "grace period" where nothing can happen.

After that grace period expires, the next time you're moving, you'll jump in that direction and leave a lava pool behind you.

So basically, if you get the debuff and you're in a situation where you don't want to jump, just stand still and you'll be okay. It's actually pretty handy if you play a ranged class, since you can stand still and save the jump for when you need to dodge an attack.

Last edited:

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
Cool, thanks. I've got like 6 tokens to play with so hopefully this can make up for my lackluster mythic chest and Azeroth piece this week.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Is the cloak upgrade item off N'zoth if you're at Rank 15 available yet? Not sure whether to do N'zoth later this week to give people time to move their cloaks up.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I replay FFXIV I'm reminded that WoW desperately needs boss themes

Well, that, and the ability to switch classes on one character at will, of course.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Me looking at Overwatch when people say they want Kaplan back directing WoW
dd0.jpg

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Woudln't be surprised if Alpha announcement soon since we've got it from 3 other Blizz games

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Got an alpha survey in my inbox. Had to fill out some information primarily around how I felt about a single class of my choice--and a single spec for said class--and it says that they're gonna choose invite-only alpha players from the pool of folks that completed the survey. I dunno if they've done something similar for past expansions, but it's interesting that they're going for such specific feedback before you even get to touch Shadowlands stuff.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Got an alpha survey in my inbox. Had to fill out some information primarily around how I felt about a single class of my choice--and a single spec for said class--and it says that they're gonna choose invite-only alpha players from the pool of folks that completed the survey. I dunno if they've done something similar for past expansions, but it's interesting that they're going for such specific feedback before you even get to touch Shadowlands stuff.
Got the same thing. We'll see if they actually listen. I sure hope so.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Got the same thing. We'll see if they actually listen. I sure hope so.
Oh wow. First time alpha stuff is happening with fans, vs. just friends and family? Also, I was under the impression the Alpha already started...? Haven't builds been out there for weeks? (albeit encrypted, so no datamining)
No e-mail for me. *sad quarantined noises*
Same. :(
Regarding cuts - if it comes down to delaying Shadowlands I hope that they push out the leveling squish update at the very least.
Also same. That's the ultimate summer holdover for the game, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.