• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Just announced on towelliee's stream. He was part of a summit at Blizzard.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/22990080

aXmXiJSXd-ObDmcxRbPhRCdc3BoZZP0oHluYhmPKqXE.jpg

842606.jpg

Last edited:

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Title should be August 27 (perhaps a mod could change it).

Opt-in for beta (starting May 15) at http://www.wowclassic.com/

wow_classic3bjgh.png

Collector's Edition
wow_15year_ce_beautysy9kd3.jpg

Heralding the game's 15th anniversary, World of Warcraft® Classic invites players to experience Blizzard Entertainment's seminal massively multiplayer online role-playing game as it was during its earliest days.
This faithful, authentic recreation captures the danger, excitement, and glory of the original World of Warcraft, and invites players to relive some of the adventures and moments that defined its legacy.

On August 27, veterans and newcomers will be able to relive World of Warcraft's epic origins as they assemble a 40-player raid to take on the fiery hazards of Molten Core; fight for their faction in the ongoing world PvP struggle between Southshore and Tarren Mill; muster a realm-wide war effort to open the gates of Ahn'Qiraj; and much more.

⦁ RELIVE AN ERA LOST TO LEGEND – Return to Azeroth as it was during the Drums of War update (patch 1.12), which represents the original WoW® at its most content-complete.
⦁ PHASED CONTENT ROLLOUT – Following its launch, World of Warcraft Classic's content will be released over the course of multiple phases reflecting the game's original order. Re-experience WoW history unfolding as heroes gear up for Blackwing Lair; players battle for PvP Honor and Rank rewards; and entire realms band together to open the gates of Ahn'Qiraj.
⦁ INCLUDED WITH EXISTING WOW SUBSCRIPTIONS – Anyone who subscribes to World of Warcraft can play WoW Classic at no additional cost. Explore the far corners of Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms before and after the world-shattering events that changed Azeroth forever.
⦁ CLOSED BETA TEST & STRESS TESTS – Starting May 15, select WoW players will be invited to participate in a small-scale, focused closed beta test, helping ensure WoW Classic nails its goal of authenticity. Players will also get a chance to help put our servers and technology through the paces in a series of stress tests from May through July—opt in now at ⦁ www.wowclassic.com.
⦁ CLASSIC GAMEPLAY WITH TODAY'S CONVENIENCES – Experience the authentic gameplay of 2006 built on the infrastructure of WoW today, with server technology providing a smooth and stable experience; support for modern PC hardware; and access to Blizzard Battle.net's social features.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/n...ndars-wow-classic-launch-and-testing-schedule
https://blizzard.gamespress.com/World-of-Warcraft-Classic-and-15th-Anniversary

Last edited:

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
He's also just said they're doing a 15 year anniversary collectors edition for it.

qTlmDGx.jpg

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, i was hoping for summer to have time to focus on it. Ah, well, at least i'll have something to do during evenings.

Do we know about Warcraft 3 Reforged launch yet?

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
August 27th is way later than I expected. Was hoping for mid-July given that they had been targeting "Summer". Bummer.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Wait, so is it a different sub or buy once and play? Like Guild Wars 2?

I read the part that says existing subs to WoW can get Classic for free, but that's it.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's a nice looking package, I've stopped playing WoW a year after release to go back SW galaxies full Gomez, so I missed out on the original WoW experience and was looking to check this out when it launches.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Is it the same graphic engine as well, or does it come with the updated models/textures and animations?

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Is it the same graphic engine as well, or does it come with the updated models/textures and animations?
It is based on the latest version of the World of Warcraft engine, but the original models and textures (likely animations too) will be used. Lighting and effects will be in a form that mimics how such appeared originally.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
https://gear.blizzard.com/us/world-of-warcraft-15th-anniversary-collector-s-edition
15th Anniversary edition is up for pre-order - $99

Also worth mentioning that to get into the beta, you need a current sub as well.

Blizzard Post said:
To fill our pool of beta and stress test participants, we'll be choosing dedicated players who meet select criteria from both the WoW Classic beta opt-in and the standard Warcraft beta opt-in. Participants will also need to have an active subscription or active game time on their Battle.net Account

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Technically newer iteration of the engine but uses original assets. They're very adamant about it being "classic", unfortunately.
Unfortunately? This is purely for nostalgia, so using the new character assets would make no sense. All they need to do is support higher resolutions and we're in for a treat.

Making a nelf hunter and reliving 2005 all over again.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Going to enjoy playing fire mage again. Well, until I hit top level and have to respec because an entire raid is fire based.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
https://gear.blizzard.com/us/world-of-warcraft-15th-anniversary-collector-s-edition
15th Anniversary edition is up for pre-order - $99

Also worth mentioning that to get into the beta, you need a current sub as well.

Interesting as you haven't needed an active sub to get into expansion betas. I'm not resubbing until 8.2 goes live so guess I will be waiting until August.

-

I'm still in two minds about the sharding. Launch week(s) will be a fucking nightmare without it because they can't really open too many servers as the game won't hold its audience like it did back in 2005+. But that mayhem was also really cool when new servers opened originally.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting as you haven't needed an active sub to get into expansion betas. I'm not resubbing until 8.2 goes live so guess I will be waiting until August.

I also didn't expect them to require a sub either, although looking at the post it seems they also have planned open stress test's available with one this month.

EDIT: Never mind, seems you need a sub for the stress test as well given it includes in the paragraph below it mentioning the sub needed.

Blizzard said:
STRESS TEST SCHEDULE*
  • Stress Test 1: Wed May 22–Thurs May 23
  • Stress Test 2: Wed Jun 19– Thurs Jun 20
  • Stress Test 3: Thurs Jul 18– Fri July 19
*Dates of each stress test are subject to change.

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I find it hard to choose faction in Classic.

On one hand, Alliance sucks. There's no other way around it.
On the other hand, Alliance questlines on vanilla are objectively better.

Also, expect to see like 80% of the population be rogues.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately? This is purely for nostalgia, so using the new character assets would make no sense. All they need to do is support higher resolutions and we're in for a treat.

Making a nelf hunter and reliving 2005 all over again.
Unfortunately because I'd prefer a game that retains the original's gameplay and content (with fixes where appropriate) but with modern sound and look.
But i'll take what we get over modern WoW, even if it ain't ideal.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

I spit on your horde!!!!

seriously though, I'll be playing Alliance no other way to play a pally.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Man i haven't bought a collector's edition of any game in years but definitely getting this one. Too good to pass up.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Either way, hope you're ready for pally gear to drop for horde and shaman to drop for alliance.

Also, fml, I'm going to play druid and hate end game and gear scaling all over again.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
It's dissappointing to see it so late in Summer, and to need an active subscription for even a chance to get into the test, but at least it has a date now.

Whatever is going on with "layering" is extremely concerning and I need more details!