• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I know it's way different but I fired up a trial account and man an I not used to controlling games this way.

I do recall that I never found a non awkward way to play this game. Using wasd plus number buttons feels pretty awkward. I remember trying a Nostromo but it still didn't work for me.

I guess the good news is the smaller number of abilities means I can always go back to my terrible keyboard turning ways.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
An absolute WAR is happening in Arathi Highlands to stop Asmongold to get Best in slot weapon ATM. This is the most entertaining stuff I have seen on Twitch ever.

Highlight:

Oct 27, 2017
Is Asmongold the biggest WoW streamer now? If so that's disappointing. He seems like such a loser.

I think so. He had 100k concurrent viewers when he was running deadmines for the first time a couple of days ago

Did they remove normal world pvp or something? I haven't played since WotLK.

They didn't remove it, it's just not really encouraged anymore. They did remove PVP servers though. Everything is PVE now.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck

that's crazy lol

That isn't exactly true. World pvp is a toggle that you can only toggle on/off in sw/org. when its on, you are phased with everyone else that has it on, and you get bonus rep/exp/extra abilities to use, and there are even random supply drops that will land in zones for those with it on.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to run an addon, but all I saw were LUA errors. So I just deleted it.

Is there a site with links to addons that work with this special WoW Classic client?

Seiru

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know what their plans are with addons? Will it use the same modern API, but gracefully handle hooks into features that weren't implemented in Vanilla?

Oct 27, 2017
That isn't exactly true. World pvp is a toggle that you can only toggle on/off in sw/org. when its on, you are phased with everyone else that has it on, and you get bonus rep/exp/extra abilities to use, and there are even random supply drops that will land in zones for those with it on.

It is true that they got rid of PVP servers which is the biggest thing they can possibly do to discourage world pvp, lol

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Blizz needs to get me into this beta, I'm losing my mind right now!

Not entirely sure what class I want to play to be honest though. Warrior has been my main forever but it kinda sucks how over-represented the class will be.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Blizz needs to get me into this beta, I'm losing my mind right now!

Not entirely sure what class I want to play to be honest though. Warrior has been my main forever but it kinda sucks how over-represented the class will be.

Maybe. At least in the beta they don't seem
That overrepsented. Mages, rogues, Warriors, paladins, shamans and priests all seem to be highly represented.

From what I've seen warlocks and druids look like they'll have by far the least representation which is cool for me as I like my classes being less played.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Watching streamers and...this is taking me back.

Traveling to dungeons, grouping up by talking to others and extending invites, tons of spells/abilities, talent trees. Such unique class identity - Mages conjuring water/food for everyone because it's actually needed. Warlocks summoning the rest of the group. Hunters being the only real class that can kite at range. Wands. Warrior stances. The list goes on.

This is all what made WoW for me and in my opinion is just such a superior experience to what WoW has become. It just feels like an actual world where you character, reputation, and interactions with others actually matters.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are unfortunately discovering what the rest of us have known for years.

All WoW streamers are either awful or boring.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Im having a ball man. Too bad the cap is 30, Ill definitely end up with multiple 30, these dungeon runs and stuff are a blast

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The question is, will pvp die off in Classic when battlegrounds are introduced like in Vanilla?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
So who's going PvE or PvP? I like the idea of PvP but I find in practice all you really get is a lot of low level banking and griefing. As someone who likes alts that kinda sucks.

The main thing I want to know is if there will be an SEA server. Back when I originally played vanilla and TBC I remember being very happy if I hit 300 ping and spent most of my time closer to 600+. It would be amazing to experience the game with a good internet connection and a local server instead of being permanently handicapped.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Seeing the maga hat on his table in the back one time really took me out of it.

It probably wasn't a MAGA hat. Rather, it was a "Make Azeroth Great Again" hat. Quite a few popular streamers have been spotted with them in the past. It's shocking that such tone deaf merch could be unironically produced and worn and then having Blizz support those same content providers, but here we are.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It probably wasn't a MAGA hat. Rather, it was a "Make Azeroth Great Again" hat. Quite a few popular streamers have been spotted with them in the past. It's shocking that such tone deaf merch could be unironically produced and worn and then having Blizz support those same content providers, but here we are.
I saw people at last year's Blizzcon with it. It would have been funny if Trump lost in 2016. But here we are and this fuck is ruining the U.S. and Democracy for that matter. It's not funny. In my head, I also have to wonder how many people that have that hat are actually Trump supporters as well.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I saw people at last year's Blizzcon with it. It would have been funny if Trump lost in 2016. But here we are and this fuck is ruining the U.S. and Democracy for that matter. It's not funny. In my head, I also have to wonder how many people that have that hat are actually Trump supporters as well.

A lot. You only have to listen to them and their chat to know that the 'irony' is surface level only.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I both really wanted to play but don't because nobody I know wants to play again, nor are on the same time schedule as me.
When I play mmo's, I tend to go all out or nothing at all; these days it's near impossible to find a fixed group to play with...just like trying to magically find 4 more friends. :(

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It is a MAGA hat. Asmongold has been very public about the fact that he voted for trump. Destiny spoke to him about it back at the time of the election if you want to go look up the discussion

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway

A longer summary of yesterday.

This video is why I NEED to go hard into this Classic experience at day one.
When Blizzard moves into stage 2 - with Battlegrounds - this will diminish greatly in the open world.

I think it is obvious that future MMO's need to focus on this type of PVP experience - if you want balanced, arena type of PVP, there are so many other games that are better suited to that (like MOBA's). But no other genre can truly bring this crazy, chaotic blend of PVP Warfare to the foreground like MMO's.

Last edited:

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017

A longer summary of yesterday.

This video is why I NEED to go hard into this Classic experience at day one.
When Blizzard moves into stage 2 - with Battlegrounds - this will diminish greatly in the open world.

I think it is obvious that future MMO's need to focus on this type of PVP experience - if you want balanced, arena type of PVP, there are so many other games that are better suited to that (like MOBA's). But no other genre can truly bring this crazy, chaotic blend of PVP Warfare to the foreground like MMO's.

Amazing how well the server held up compared to BFA which would become an unplayable sideshow if you somehow managed to get so many people in a fight together without getting sharted.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I know it's way different but I fired up a trial account and man an I not used to controlling games this way.

I do recall that I never found a non awkward way to play this game. Using wasd plus number buttons feels pretty awkward. I remember trying a Nostromo but it still didn't work for me.

I guess the good news is the smaller number of abilities means I can always go back to my terrible keyboard turning ways.

Keyboard turning is death, but you can rebind stuff to an extent that I think alleviates the wasd+number keys issue. I put my most used stuff on Q/E and MMB, and even on W if it involves a shift or ctrl press. I still use 1-4 for reasonably common stuff and 5-6 for more rare presses. 7+ I don't bother with, I can't comfortably reach it without moving my hand from the wasd position.

Of course that's easier in retail than vanilla because they trimmed a lot of fluff, but eventually your dps rotation is going to come down to a pretty narrow selection of abilities.

I mean assume you are using the number keys above the letter portion of the keyboard and not the numpad... I can see how that would be hard.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Amazing how well the server held up compared to BFA which would become an unplayable sideshow if you somehow managed to get so many people in a fight together without getting sharted.
If I remember correctly, they are using some new server tech that is also being tested on the 8.2 PTR at the moment. Hopefully they are planning to roll this out in live as well as classic

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
So iBUYPOWER is having a college flash sale ($100 off for buying with .edu email).

What specs should I look at if I want to play Classic at 1440p? I know WoW can run on pretty much anything, but I'd like a nice framerate as well if I hook it up to my TV.

I'm looking at this one in particular.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So iBUYPOWER is having a college flash sale ($100 off for buying with .edu email).

What specs should I look at if I want to play Classic at 1440p? I know WoW can run on pretty much anything, but I'd like a nice framerate as well if I hook it up to my TV.

I'm looking at this one in particular.

CPU is absolutely terrible don't buy AMD CPUs that are not called Ryzen.