• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Asmongold had 100k people watching him play classic today. Pretty crazy stuff

So from what I know, the devs seem basically open to anything. They've already said they're interested in making BC and wrath servers, and I have to imagine that it would be character-copy to start on those servers.

They've also said they're willing to create new content for vanilla if that's what the community wants. Imagine blizz releasing new content for vanilla while releasing BC and wrath AND while creating new content for retail (but honestly who gives a shit about retail at this point). If i could be playing BC and wrath at the same time while also doing the new vanilla content I would have so much shit to do, that would be awesome.

Wait wut. Where did they say they'd create new vanilla content?

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could travel back to 04 and stop myself from playing it. Glad people are getting their classic digital crack though.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Got in a few hours ago myself. Not a content creator/influencer, but I've been subbed since 2004. That's the only thing I can think of, other than sheer luck.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for open beta, if there is one. If not I'll probably still grab it for a month or two at launch and grind to 60.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think classic itself would be sustainable for over a year, but new content like old school runescape, now that would be something I would love.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could travel back to 04 and stop myself from playing it. Glad people are getting their classic digital crack though.
I could make an argument that because of WOW, I'm in IT as a career. I replaced my graphics card and sound card because of it, which was probably some of the first steps that would lead me to my career. I wish I could forget Classic WOW and relive it all over again.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Asmongold had 100k people watching him play classic today. Pretty crazy stuff

"yOu dOnT rEaLLy wAnT cLaSSic iT's aLL nOstAlGia" - some people on this forum in all previous classic threads.

People want a version of WoW where everything feels earned and rewarding. Where the items you get while levelling matter and make a difference, where you feel like your character gets noticeably stronger with every level and upgrade, where there's actually danger out in the world and you can die at any moment, where dungeons feel like an adventure and aren't just silent speed runs which people try to get through asap.

That's classic, and that's why it's going to be extremely popular.

Lancelot

Nov 4, 2017
Campinas, SP
"yOu dOnT rEaLLy wAnT cLaSSic iT's aLL nOstAlGia" - some people on this forum in all previous classic threads.

People want a version of WoW where everything feels earned and rewarding. Where the items you get while levelling matter and make a difference, where you feel like your character gets noticeably stronger with every level and upgrade, where there's actually danger out in the world and you can die at any moment, where dungeons feel like an adventure and aren't just silent speed runs which people try to get through asap.

Oh yea. Probably the best gaming experience of my life. Give me my WoW back!

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I always found it funny as hell. I for one cannot wait for this experience again, and will enjoy the hell out of it, be it leveling, doing dungeons, pvp, raiding, doing professions.

I'll never get the nostalgia argument, like God forbid people really loved something a ton back then and yearn for that mmo RPG experience again from a series that feels like it lost the MMO and RPG aspects respectively.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think classic itself would be sustainable for over a year, but new content like old school runescape, now that would be something I would love.
Naxx was released like 1½ years after original release. It will easily last at least that time if they mimic content patch schedule like originally.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They just don't get it and never will. For some people it's so foreign concept that some people like different things.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
So from what I know, the devs seem basically open to anything. They've already said they're interested in making BC and wrath servers, and I have to imagine that it would be character-copy to start on those servers.

They've also said they're willing to create new content for vanilla if that's what the community wants. Imagine blizz releasing new content for vanilla while releasing BC and wrath AND while creating new content for retail (but honestly who gives a shit about retail at this point). If i could be playing BC and wrath at the same time while also doing the new vanilla content I would have so much shit to do, that would be awesome.

I think the ultimate thing for me would be.

- New content for Vanilla.
- Make TBC server a reality.
- You can copy your character to the BC server but you will not be able to enter Vanilla Wow with this character.
- Remove flying mounts completely from BC.
- Make new content for BC.
- Make WOTLK server a reality.
- You can copy your character to the WOTLK server but you will not be able to enter Vanilla or TBC with this character.
- Remove flying mounts completely from WOTLK.
- Remove achievements completely from WOTLK.
- Remove LFG and LFR tools completely.
- Make new content for WOTLK.
- KEEP classes AND factions UNIQUE (YES not every class should be able to aoe etc)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

- You can copy your character to the BC server but you will not be able to enter Vanilla Wow with this character.
- You can copy your character to the WOTLK server but you will not be able to enter Vanilla or TBC with this character.
- KEEP classes AND factions UNIQUE (YES not every class should be able to aoe etc)
So... what you want is for Blizzard to maintain 4 separate MMOs and provide them with new content?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
What if they just slowly (like after 2 years) make WoW classic into BC, then 2 years later into Wrath, etc etc, until they "catch up" to the final WoW expansion which you know is coming, at which point the whole thing resets.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
What I am most interested in is how people find the difficulty now. Vanilla WoW is known for it's very hard difficulty but I wonder how much of that is attributed to lack of online resource/knowledge of the game at the time.

People who are going to play this now are most likely Wow Veterans. I wonder will difficulty be much easier in general due to that and will people plow through content.

Really curious to see how it pans out!

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
What I am most interested in is how people find the difficulty now. Vanilla WoW is known for it's very hard difficulty but I wonder how much of that is attributed to lack of online resource/knowledge of the game at the time.

People who are going to play this now are most likely Wow Veterans. I wonder will difficulty be much easier in general due to that and will people plow through content.

Raiding is probably going to be overall easier than it was in 2005 due to the knowledge

Levelling is still a challenge as taking more than 2 or 3 mobs solo usually leads to death

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
So... what you want is for Blizzard to maintain 4 separate MMOs and provide them with new content?

IF the decide to to a TBC or WOTLK server down the road i would very much like that to have new content long term speaking, yes. Im not interested in retail Wow nor am i interested in the expansions after WOTLK, and im far from alone to feel/think like this.

Last fiscal earnings call from Activision/Blizz also highlighted that they will put more effort/resources on strengthening already established franchises such as Wow and COD. Im pretty sure Blizz already have some sort of rough estimate what it would take subscription-number-wise to be able to finance new content for Vanilla wow, or TBC/WOTLK for that matter.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think there is going to be 3 seperate things but I would love content from tbc and wotlk being introduced in some form but without changing it TOO much, meaning changes to flying mounts (only usable on some areas) and some class balance tweaks introduced in tbc. Not necessarily increasing level cap but doing it a little bit different (like you can get few more talent points with "leveling").

Meaning they could just release pure tbc amd wotlk servers, but they could also choose a completely different path and continue building on top of classic utilizing tbc and wotlk content.

Most important thing is to keep classic old school. There is many ways to implement future content but I hope there will never be group finders and flying mounts would be a little more restricted than they originally were

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
For Wrath, some areas - Storm Peaks, Icecrown - would be honest to god impossible without flying mounts.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
Yeah flying mounts still need to be a thing in Wrath, locked to end game. My main need is a completely removal of the LFG-system that launched during Fall of the Lich King.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I've made a lot of similar arguments previously but I don't think you can judge how popular wow classic will be based on the streaming numbers right now. I also think that those huge numbers were largely driven by nostalgia.

Now I think wow classic will be far more popular than the detractors suggested would be possible and I'm pretty sure even blizzard is surprised by the interest. I just think I'd hold off on the victory laps just yet.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

See I don't think Vanilla is "hard" more than time consuming. When I played a few years ago on a private server the biggest issue was how much time everything took. From traveling to grinding and doing dungeons, you felt like nothing was getting accomplished unless you had 2+ hours per sitting to devote to the game.

All the mechanics and all the crafting and all the BiS stuff has been figured out so I don't think the difficulty will be an issue for people. When they get 2 hours into a dungeon and the main healer quits and you either have to quit or wait another hour for a new healer is where people will get frustrated I think.

I still can't wait to give it a whirl though, still the most fun version of WoW by a mile.

***IF the game became more popular than anticipated it would be pretty amazing for them to release some brand new content. Just some new dungeons and loot tables would give it such a huge shot in the arm.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta get in early that way you can set up your auction house toons and reap enough of a profit to get an epic mount once you hit 60.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See I don't think Vanilla is "hard" more than time consuming.
Outside of Naxx, even that is debatable, vanilla was tedious and time consuming not hard. I guess not knowing anything about encounters like we do before content is released made things more difficult, the difficulty came in the organizational aspects or groups.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
For Wrath, some areas - Storm Peaks, Icecrown - would be honest to god impossible without flying mounts.
More like those 2 zones more than any other were ruined due to flying mounts, the intimidation of the giant mountains & titan structures, gone cause lol flying, the threat of all the elite scourge roaming aimlessly, gone cause lol flying.
Flying is one thing Blizzard admits is a mistake because it's just that damaging to the game.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like those 2 zones more than any other were ruined due to flying mounts, the intimidation of the giant mountains & titan structures, gone cause lol flying, the threat of all the elite scourge roaming aimlessly, gone cause lol flying.
Flying is one thing Blizzard admits is a mistake because it's just that damaging to the game.
Except, every zone in WotLK was designed around flying. That is the reason for them being so large with a lot of verticality involved. There is a stark difference between zones designed around flying and zone that you are allowed to fly in.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Except, every zone in WotLK was designed around flying. That is the reason for them being so large with a lot of verticality involved. There is a stark difference between zones designed around flying and zone that you are allowed to fly in.
They were, but they would have been much better if you had to trek through them, they could redesign it slightly here & there to allow for it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

From Mists onwards I made a point of getting my Loremaster before purchasing Flying, it meant I got the right flavour of the zone while going through the levelling experience, yet retained the ability to move rapidly once the content was consumed. I may be in a minority, but I quite like the Legion-onwards approach of "Flying locked until you've earned it", since it fits a similar model.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were, but they would have been much better if you had to trek through them, they could redesign it slightly here & there to allow for it.
Oh I agree. I 100% believe total uninhibited flying ruined a crucial aspect of the game. I believe it should have been used in TBC, it made sense for that world, and used sparingly in unique situations were it made sense.

I believe it was Ghostcrawler, maybe Tom Chilton, that said on a Diirect TV interview in between panels at a Blizzcon around Cata, that if they could remove it they would but they opened Pandora's box and it would be too hard to do, and would piss off players too much.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also a free car while at it.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Just to go back to the nostalgia thing I don't understand why it's seems ok to prefer older games but not older versions of games. Like if I said OoT, Mario 64, Starcraft broadest, halo 1 etc we're my favourite entries in those franchises few
people would really care. Yet if you suggest you prefer older versions of WoW it's because you're blinded by nostalgia and just want to live in the past.

Sure there have been straight up improvements but their have also been changes/updates that fundamentally alter the way the game is played. Not necessarily objectively worse but for a lot of us the changes made the game worse. I'm not sure why that's such an out there opinion to some.

I don't think there is going to be 3 seperate things but I would love content from tbc and wotlk being introduced in some form but without changing it TOO much, meaning changes to flying mounts (only usable on some areas) and some class balance tweaks introduced in tbc. Not necessarily increasing level cap but doing it a little bit different (like you can get few more talent points with "leveling").

Meaning they could just release pure tbc amd wotlk servers, but they could also choose a completely different path and continue building on top of classic utilizing tbc and wotlk content.

Most important thing is to keep classic old school. There is many ways to implement future content but I hope there will never be group finders and flying mounts would be a little more restricted than they originally were

I think this would be a mistake. Let's not forget that the WoW userbase peaked in wrath and both wrath and TBC had larger player bases than classic. Making out like those expansions need fixing to make players like them is a mistake. If anything classic being a success should tell blizzard that people want to experience this old content as it was.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I'm still sceptical about the staying power of Classic once the initial burst of nostalgia wears off, but I'm also enough of a sucker to probably resub in August anyway.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

They would have to redo a lot of Storm Peaks for no flying, also nobody would ever go into Sholazar.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to go back to the nostalgia thing I don't understand why it's seems ok to prefer older games but not older versions of games. Like if I said OoT, Mario 64, Starcraft broadest, halo 1 etc we're my favourite entries in those franchises few
people would really care. Yet if you suggest you prefer older versions of WoW it's because you're blinded by nostalgia and just want to live in the past.

Sure there have been straight up improvements but their have also been changes/updates that fundamentally alter the way the game is played. Not necessarily objectively worse but for a lot of us the changes made the game worse. I'm not sure why that's such an out there opinion to some.

I think this would be a mistake. Let's not forget that the WoW userbase peaked in wrath and both wrath and TBC had larger player bases than classic. Making out like those expansions need fixing to make players like them is a mistake. If anything classic being a success should tell blizzard that people want to experience this old content as it was.
Well, to be fair it's not necessarily tbc and wotlk playerbase peaked because of the changes/improvements but that more people simply had access to play the game and also it kind of snowballed in popularity.

Not denying there werent improvements in tbc or wotlk but there were also some steps back in my opinion (flying mounts, group finder, wotlk 5mans too easy and irrelevant compared to tbc or vanilla to name a few) .

Of course it is the most easy way to just replicate those as they were, but it would be a little more refreshing and exciting to twist it a little bit. I quit during wotlk (after ulduar) and it was very apparent even then that the game was changing to something way different and I was not wrong. Wow is prime example of slippery slope. Some changes were great and most really happened during tbc, wotlk didn't really make game any better in any aspect. I can't even name one change or improvement on gameplay side which made game better.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
How Blizzard has treated dungeoning over the years is one of the reasons why I started hating my WoW experience over the last 7 years or so. Every class seemingly has a button to CC, but it's not on anyone's bars because every run has to be a timed run now. Before it was a rare thing that only certain instances allowed, and if you were a healer or tank capable of doing it, you were *known* on your server. Now it's just expected, and boring.

Well, except for healers, now every run as a healer has to be a stressful management run, absolutely no chill allowed. Pay attention to new random one shot mechanics based on which week it is, constantly be on the move, oh and you better DPS as well because mana doesn't matter so you might as well(but you better be chugging mana potions on CD anyway). What do you mean you couldn't keep up the dps that ate mechanics they should dodge but won't because it lowers their dps by 2%, votekick!

To me, as a healer, mana management was everything that made a good healer great, and they just ignored it as the game went on. Remember spirit as a stat being important, as well as paying attention to the 5 second rule(and every healer should have first aid to restore some health while not using mana, thus regening it a bit)? Remember not just having one version of a heal on your bar, but multiple ranks of the same heal so you could pick and choose how fast you were using your mana, and the healers that were bad wasted so much healing? This is why I truly hope classic won't be a passing fad, but it's just something we'll have to wait and see about.

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks. According to Towelliee, the closed beta so far has been mostly content creators.
I think that they gave out 5% to ransoms to make us feel as though it's not just streamers getting in :(

Not be signed up to wow in years, I signed back up for a chance.

They would have to redo a lot of Storm Peaks for no flying, also nobody would ever go into Sholazar.

Quest based flight path unlock.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

I think one major component is that a lot of how much you might prefer an old version of WoW is dependent on how your class was treated back then - I suspect that the likes of, say, rogues had a much better experience than, say, paladins. Rogues were flawed but effective, whereas paladins were just plain a mess for a long time; effective (very much so) at one role, but woe betide you if you levelled one and didn't actually want to play that role!

That's one thing I've got knocking around in my brain about classic, and I'm curious if it's something Blizzard will consider: they've said in the past that a proportion of their class-balancing decisions in the live game are often driven less around ideas of balance and more around ideas of encouraging representation; if there's situations where people actively seem to dislike playing a class currently, they'll investigate how they can rejig the class a bit to make it more appealing.

I wonder if that's on the table for Vanilla if it's perceived as necessary? With the levelling process taking a while, the notion that at endgame the character you want to play has no viable way forwards is going to be galling. On the other hand, mind, I mentioned upthread that I think foreknowledge is going to have a greater impact than people may be considering, and one of those bits of foreknowledge is just what is viable for the endgame in real terms - at least as far as the playerbase's perception of what characters are effective in which roles; there may simply be an expectation that this time around the playerbase will know not to bother levelling a Paladin if they want to tank. That might be sufficient - but it's still going to be a shitty situation for those players who do come into this situation anew and make the "wrong" choice early on.

I've said quite often that I'm genuinely very interested in how the Classic experiment pans out. There's so many interesting factors here around player psychology and game design that I'm curious how things will go.

They'll stop after WotLK because that's when WoW turned to shit.

For all Cataclysm's flaws, I still maintain it was the first time they got pally tanking right!

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How Blizzard has treated dungeoning over the years is one of the reasons why I started hating my WoW experience over the last 7 years or so. Every class seemingly has a button to CC, but it's not on anyone's bars because every run has to be a timed run now. Before it was a rare thing that only certain instances allowed, and if you were a healer or tank capable of doing it, you were *known* on your server. Now it's just expected, and boring.

Well, except for healers, now every run as a healer has to be a stressful management run, absolutely no chill allowed. Pay attention to new random one shot mechanics based on which week it is, constantly be on the move, oh and you better DPS as well because mana doesn't matter so you might as well(but you better be chugging mana potions on CD anyway). What do you mean you couldn't keep up the dps that ate mechanics they should dodge but won't because it lowers their dps by 2%, votekick!

To me, as a healer, mana management was everything that made a good healer great, and they just ignored it as the game went on. Remember spirit as a stat being important, as well as paying attention to the 5 second rule(and every healer should have first aid to restore some health while not using mana, thus regening it a bit)? Remember not just having one version of a heal on your bar, but multiple ranks of the same heal so you could pick and choose how fast you were using your mana, and the healers that were bad wasted so much healing? This is why I truly hope classic won't be a passing fad, but it's just something we'll have to wait and see about.

As primarily a priest, I agree 100%. Running classic dungeons on a private sever was such a blast, everyone appreciated good healing and there was a real skill to it, mana management, +healing, 5 second reset etc. were all important and you really had to eek out healing in some desperate situations but you felt that if you were prepared and the fight wasn't above your level, you could pull it off. One of the reasons I quit was how dumb healing got as the expansions came out.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll stop after WotLK because that's when WoW turned to shit.
We can agree to disagree. I felt it got better afterwards with TBC and WotLK bei g the worst expansions. I rank the expansions base on how much fun and enjoyment I got, and Vanilla-WotLK were just a slog and less fun was had than in Cata on for me.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i really think:
1. this is gonna be huge

2. they will reach a point where they are doing it for classic, TBC, and maybe WoTLK as well

new content for each is just icing on the cake

i started during TBC and played through WoTLK but I'll likely sign up for this classic.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
We can agree to disagree. I felt it got better afterwards with TBC and WotLK bei g the worst expansions. I rank the expansions base on how much fun and enjoyment I got, and Vanilla-WotLK were just a slog and less fun was had than in Cata on for me.

So weird, this is my exact opposite view. Vanilla through wotlk was great with tbc being the pinnacle for me. The game turned into a mindless slog after that. Que up for dungeon, dont say a word to anyone, round up mobs, AOE and win. Different strokes I guess!

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
So weird, this is my exact opposite view. Vanilla through wotlk was great with tbc being the pinnacle for me. The game turned into a mindless slog after that. Que up for dungeon, dont say a word to anyone, round up mobs, AOE and win. Different strokes I guess!

This. It's sad that most people's experiences with the old dungeons(even in TBC) was timewalking, where they were the same boring AoE fests that modern WoW is. I must have run timed Shattered Halls a hundred times in TBC for keying people, but it was always a fun, hectic time.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed them all. WoW is by far one of my favorite games ever. I thoroughly loved what Cata did, it was the first time I had ever class max level. Never had more fun in PvP, raids were pretty solid even if DS was rather easy. MoP and Legion were leap and bounds above anything else for me. WoD, while I understand the frustrations and problems other people had, I was only raiding, so none of that effected me. BfA I am still having fun with the minimal amount of time I play, still being able to raid and do good things.

So for me, I've loved all expansions, just Cata on, there was a jump in enjoyment from Vanilla-Wrath.

The say nothing to no one thing was prevalent from day one. You make it what you will. I've never been one to talk much in game so I don't see much change. People still inquire about quests, people still ask if you know the fights, and so on. I don't recall much idle chit chat or just random conversations while running dungeons befor Cata.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed them all. WoW is by far one of my favorite games ever. I thoroughly loved what Cata did, it was the first time I had ever class max level. Never had more fun in PvP, raids were pretty solid even if DS was rather easy. MoP and Legion were leap and bounds above anything else for me. WoD, while I understand the frustrations and problems other people had, I was only raiding, so none of that effected me. BfA I am still having fun with the minimal amount of time I play, still being able to raid and do good things.

So for me, I've loved all expansions, just Cata on, there was a jump in enjoyment from Vanilla-Wrath.

The say nothing to no one thing was prevalent from day one. You make it what you will. I've never been one to talk much in game so I don't see much change. People still inquire about quests, people still ask if you know the fights, and so on. I don't recall much idle chit chat or just random conversations while running dungeons befor Cata.

Burnout from years of raiding probably contributed to my cynicism and lost love for the game I will definitely say that, so I can see where you are coming from. I can't necessarily agree with the lack of communication with vanilla through wotlk, I made a million friends and people always shot the shit and discussed options/strategy or sorted loot drops on the way to the dungeons. That stuff was nonexistent afterwards more or less, hell I didn't even have to mark targets for CC until cata came around post TBC in dungeons.

This. It's sad that most people's experiences with the old dungeons(even in TBC) was timewalking, where they were the same boring AoE fests that modern WoW is. I must have run timed Shattered Halls a hundred times in TBC for keying people, but it was always a fun, hectic time.

Yes I agree. As a warrior I LOVED shadow labs and shattered halls. Such a rush taking new kids through there to que or get geared for kara. When I played on a private server I made more friends in my 6 months there than I made in all the years i have played post BC. Sense of community was so real.