• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how if they will have an import tool for importing your WOW Classic toon, if they do release BC and WOTLK content servers at some point.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how if they will have an import tool for importing your WOW Classic toon, if they do release BC and WOTLK content servers at some point.

I'd rather just not think about it/put any hope into it. Just going to try to enjoy the game as it comes out and anything more then that will be a pleasant surprise.

Also, as someone who quit in cata because of how much the game had changed away from what I enjoyed, flight was fine. An unlockable thing with zones specifically designed for it. I am also only seeing it though the lens of someone who played and leveled as the expansions came out so it wasn't something you just got and could use from the get go. I have the same opinion on it as normal mounts, that they should be an actual "reward". The faster versions of each especially.

FF14 did flying mounts pretty well, though I think they have changed it. Where you had to actually explore a zone first before you could fly in it and then there would also be stuff designed with flying in mind that runs off the assumption that you should already know the zone and the paths since you had to to even unlock flying. Flying in BC worked in a simular way when going though right when the expansion hit, you had to cap and pay a lot for it. That gating that I feel is important became less relevant as time went on and requirements lowered/normal amounts of expected gold grew, but I still don't think flying mounts are a bad thing as a general principle.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they gave me access sometime yesterday. Rolled a Dwarf Warrior and I'm only level 6 at the moment. I'm still toying around as to whether to use classic graphics or go with updated shadows and such.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting my flying mount was one of the best parts of WOTLK don't think they should be removed.

I'd like to see 3 realms that rotate through the expansions after x months but each one is always on a different expansion. You can character copy to the expansion servers if you don't want to play through all the way from vanilla. Once the realm reaches the end of wotlk it resets back to vanilla and the cycle goes for eternity.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I just noticed I got the beta sometime last night. Been playing it for an hour or so and it brings back good memories from when I was 18. I remember getting up everyday and going straight to this game and playing it till I went to bed.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"yOu dOnT rEaLLy wAnT cLaSSic iT's aLL nOstAlGia" - some people on this forum in all previous classic threads.

People want a version of WoW where everything feels earned and rewarding. Where the items you get while levelling matter and make a difference, where you feel like your character gets noticeably stronger with every level and upgrade, where there's actually danger out in the world and you can die at any moment, where dungeons feel like an adventure and aren't just silent speed runs which people try to get through asap.

That's classic, and that's why it's going to be extremely popular.

Like a lot of gamers I played classic. And while the things you said are true (and that's why I still maintain my Final Fantasy XI sub, because aside from levelling every one of those still applies!), vanilla lacked much of the quality-of-life improvements that MMO gamers have come to expect from the genre. When WoW launched it was a gamer-friendly alternative to Everquest and Final Fantasy XI. I don't play EQ but FFXI is currently far more friendly, far more respectful of the player's time, than WoW was pre-BC. Gamers playing World of Warcraft Class are in for a rude awakening. I can't imagine subs staying high for this for a long period. Many of my MMO buddies are planning to play but I'm betting that they will tire of it quickly.

I think the smarter thing would have been to give us a "better" WoW Classic experience. Remove thing things that hurt current WoW- LFD/LFR, CRZ, ability pruning, stat simplification, hell even simplified travel and porting, but keeping the upgraded visuals, models, and convenience features. This just speaks to Blizzard's incompetence, really. They just don't understand how to balance and tune their own games. Blizzard's incompetence with World of Warcraft has become legendary.

kalavaras

Oct 28, 2017
Its going to be interesting to see what kind of guilds start popping up once we get closer to the release. If I wanted to get back to the vanilla grind, I might, just MIGHT consider a guild that would only do MC, Onyxia, BWL and Zul'Gurub. I still remember the total burnout AQ and Naxx caused and I never want that to happen again.

I understand and appreciate the fact theyre going for realistic vanilla experience but they really need to consider dual spec. Playing a healer or tank outside of dungeons and raids was dogshit.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, I haven't really given much thought towards classic since it was announced. I loved Vanilla back in the day, but felt like it was a game of its time.

Now, with BFA being so dull, I actually feel hyped for classic. Not really for raiding or anything, but just to level up some characters and maybe do some dungeons.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Will you need the new xpac to play this? Or can I save my money and not even touch this expansion? I'm honestly only interested in Classic

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I agree. As a warrior I LOVED shadow labs and shattered halls. Such a rush taking new kids through there to que or get geared for kara. When I played on a private server I made more friends in my 6 months there than I made in all the years i have played post BC. Sense of community was so real.
As a healer just geared in dungeon stuff, Heroic SHalls was pure hell

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Remove thing things that hurt current WoW- LFD/LFR, CRZ, ability pruning, stat simplification, hell even simplified travel and porting, but keeping the upgraded visuals, models, and convenience features

Think a problem is is that what should be kept and what should be removed varies from person to person. For instance I fucking loved lockpicking and weapon skills and keeping them leveled but have already seen others mention it as one of the hassles that people forget about. Then on the other hand I know I also like the fixed skill trees (not removed skill trees but things like making imp sap 100% instead of a 10% chance to die) and proper itemizations but have seen others who really want the base experience, useless stats on class gear and all.

Think the safest bet is the way they are doing it since it's so hard to really tell what people's personal "good and bad" aspects are. Hell, the reason I quit back in cata was because the game had been sliding away from things I really enjoyed since mid BC, but all the changes were things that I'm sure increased other people's enjoyment.

As a healer just geared in dungeon stuff, Heroic SHalls was pure hell

As melee dps like all the heroic BC instances were hell at launch...I mean if I was even allowed into them.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Good old cleave days

Think it was the patch that just flat out removed the aoe mellee cleaves/sweaping strikes that "solved" that problem. It wasn't even just a boss issue, like half the trash mobs had them too.

Still had things like think it was underbog's final boss where you were better off just tossing your ranged weapons at him after you caught your first hit but was still more managable than "well I just die to everything in one shot no matter my positioning with no warning that I can even run out of range of".

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Man forgot how different Classic was lol
The days of leveling up your unarmed and weapon skills. Epic gear was still amazing to have, legendaries were really legendary. Going around punching random critters and mobs as a Tauren...

This will honestly be refreshing. If Blizzard makes everyone start completely fresh on these new servers (no char xfers). The economy on each server will all be completely new. I'm going to love classic AV...

Last edited:

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Caught a random streamer going through the Barrens and heard the music kick in...

tenor.gif

If beta was guaranteed on preorder Id jump in a heartbeat.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caught a random streamer going through the Barrens and heard the music kick in...

tenor.gif

If beta was guaranteed on preorder Id jump in a heartbeat.
Vanilla ambiance musics are insanely comfy and matches so well with kind of slow gameplay. Teldrassil, Ashenvale, Red ridge mountains, elwynn forest etc, there is so much great tracks. Plaguelands musics are maybe my least favorites.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any non-shitty people streaming WoW Classic? Not gonna mention names but the two I found Youtube vids of late last night seemed like real a-holes.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Friend, WotLK was the beginning of the end. Dungeon finder is one of the worst ideas in WoW.
I don't mind dungeon finder as long as it only pulls people from your server. It's when they combine servers and you group up with other players you'll never see again is what I had a big issue with. Although, I do have some fond memories forming groups through chat, there were times it would take an hour or more and could be frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I don't mind dungeon finder as long as it only pulls people from your server. It's when they combine servers and you group up with other players you'll never see again is what I had a big issue with. Although, I do have some fond memories forming groups through chat, there were times it would take an hour or more and could be frustrating.
Pulling people from your server is fine with me. I'd have no issue with LFD if it did that. The biggest problem with LFD is that it fundamentally changed the game from the moment it was introduced. A lot of the experiences with the community would be removed for the sake of convenience.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Friend, WotLK was the beginning of the end. Dungeon finder is one of the worst ideas in WoW.

Dungeon Finder, plus the easier dungeons in WoTLK is most of what got me back into the game around that game.

Dungeon Finder no longer worked in Cataclysm because they increased the dungeon challenge significantly, and fucked up the progression curve through dungeons.

But in the end, it's gonna be different things for different people that threw them off of the game---when you have that many people playing it's easy to make something that at least some portion of them is going to hate.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Going by streams of the beta, there's going to somehow be even more warriors in classic than there were in vanilla.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Looking forward to playing WoW classic but if they make a WOTLK server then I'm going to be all over that. For me, that was WoW at its greatest. It's been all down hill since.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the experiences with the community would be removed for the sake of convenience.

Not going to lie, as melee dps it was a pretty big drug. Yeah, I didn't like what it did to the community and hated how separated it made the game feel, but being able to not try so hard to get a group could also be nice. Not worth the sacrifice but it was one of the easier pills to swallow as the game went on.

Though the aspect I disliked about it and other systems like it was the removal of having to actually travel to the instance entrance itself. Always hated system level instant/fast travel stuff. Things that promoted the thought that the gameworld was just junk that should be skipped over to get to the real game. Instant travel should be something special left to specific skills/items imo, but I'm sure I'm even more in the minority on that line of thought.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
IronForge chat:

LF1M Healer SM

*2 hours later, we get to the dungeon*
Remember this all too well lol! When WoW first launched I played with a couple of friends and we were all DPS - a Rogue, Hunter and Mage. We spent hours sometimes trying to find a tank and a healer. Later on I rolled a tank and my friend rolled a healer so we never had issues assembling a dungeon group again.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
The main thing I'm excited for is that classic will shrink the gameworld again. People will actually be in cities and there'll be foot traffic in zones, it will feel alive again. I recently tried to pick the game back up after last playing at burning crusade and I was shocked at how empty the world was.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
IronForge chat:

LF1M Healer SM

*2 hours later, we get to the dungeon*

I remember that all to well. I remember tanking SM as a Shaman cause we had trouble finding a tank...Earth Shock ftw. Back when Blizzard wanted Paladin/Shaman equality lol before each faction got the class. Things changed a lot.
Luckily I was in a big guild that always liked to do dungeons, didn't have a problem with getting full parties most of the time.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Not going to lie, as melee dps it was a pretty big drug. Yeah, I didn't like what it did to the community and hated how separated it made the game feel, but being able to not try so hard to get a group could also be nice. Not worth the sacrifice but it was one of the easier pills to swallow as the game went on.

Though the aspect I disliked about it and other systems like it was the removal of having to actually travel to the instance entrance itself. Always hated system level instant/fast travel stuff. Things that promoted the thought that the gameworld was just junk that should be skipped over to get to the real game. Instant travel should be something special left to specific skills/items imo, but I'm sure I'm even more in the minority on that line of thought.
No, I 100% agree. The fast travel and removal of traversing the world was a detriment to the game.
I disliked WoTLK also, too easy dungeons are not supposed to be in WoW classic.
I don't dislike WotLK. I found it very enjoyable, I just hate the historical revisionism of WotLK. It was the beginning of the end for me in a lot of ways. It was when Blizzard really started pushing catch up gear mechanics (ToC Heroics), started making the previous tiers of an expansion irrelevant (ToC was added sooner than expected to WotLK making Ulduar not as important), and started the trend of making everything too convenient. And it felt good back then. I won't lie to you. I loved that they added these little features back then to make the game smoother. But the more I played and realized later on that these features were like the beginnings of a drug addiction, the game was already too far gone.

Also, MoP is one of my favorite expansions. Lol. I started in TBC.

That. And LFR. And cross-realm zones. It basically destroyed any sense of community in World of Warcraft.
Yeah and it all started with LFD. It's the root of the problem. If you want LFR removed, you should demand for LFD to be removed too.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
LFD and LFR are probably the only reason I'm still playing WoW. I just don't have the time to look for people in trade chat or wait for my guild's scheduled runs. It's the reason why I don't really play Destiny or the Division anymore. I'm missing a huge portion of endgame content.

If Blizzard ever decides to get rid of those features, it's going to create huge problems for servers with low populations. Also, Blizz has stated that they will -never- combine low-population realms.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
LFD and LFR are probably the only reason I'm still playing WoW. I just don't have the time to look for people in trade chat or wait for my guild's scheduled runs. It's the reason why I don't really play Destiny or the Division anymore. I'm missing a huge portion of endgame content.

If Blizzard ever decides to get rid of those features, it's going to create huge problems for servers with low populations. Also, Blizz has stated that they will -never- combine low-population realms.
The new LFG tool from WoD (allows users to create and list groups) proved we don't need LFD/LFR in the game, even if you're a casual player. I did most of my raiding through LFG for normal mode because I didn't have a guild.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Like a lot of gamers I played classic. And while the things you said are true (and that's why I still maintain my Final Fantasy XI sub, because aside from levelling every one of those still applies!), vanilla lacked much of the quality-of-life improvements that MMO gamers have come to expect from the genre. When WoW launched it was a gamer-friendly alternative to Everquest and Final Fantasy XI. I don't play EQ but FFXI is currently far more friendly, far more respectful of the player's time, than WoW was pre-BC. Gamers playing World of Warcraft Class are in for a rude awakening. I can't imagine subs staying high for this for a long period. Many of my MMO buddies are planning to play but I'm betting that they will tire of it quickly.

I think the smarter thing would have been to give us a "better" WoW Classic experience. Remove thing things that hurt current WoW- LFD/LFR, CRZ, ability pruning, stat simplification, hell even simplified travel and porting, but keeping the upgraded visuals, models, and convenience features. This just speaks to Blizzard's incompetence, really. They just don't understand how to balance and tune their own games. Blizzard's incompetence with World of Warcraft has become legendary.

What convenience features because you just mentioned all the main ones.

But yes, I would love a version of WoW that is the old talent system, no LFR, no LFD, no CRZ, no ability pruning with better graphics and whatever else.

It's kinda funny though because what has for me made the game worse is in many ways to do with Blizzard trying to cater to that audience of players that don't have much time to play it but want to experience everything and I would say that this is not the genre of game for that.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Is it because they are really OP or something. I was going to try one out but I just want to tank.
Here's the downsides of a vanilla warrior
-Leveling is the worst of any class... But this is far less of a deterrent for the 2019 two monitor having player than the 2004 CRT player.
-Popularity. Warriors are always the most popular class on private servers. The most popular WoW streamer plays a warrior. The most iconic PVP videos from vanilla are warriors and rogues.
-Repair bills
-You're pretty fucking slow(but not like Warlock slow)

Here's the upsides of a vanilla warrior
-You are far and away the best tank. You are the ONLY main tank.
-You are the second (and sometimes first especially towards the end) best melee dps. You are the only class with more than one extremely viable spec/playstyle(Tank or DPS)
-If you're Horde, you have no gear competition except rogues because you'll likely be wearing leather. While leveling you might occasionally compete with a Shaman or two but they'll slowly switch over to resto towards the end. And honestly, if you're alliance, you don't really have competition either as those paladins will wind up with leather/cloth until they get tier.
-If you buddy up with a healer, you can make serious gold two manning certain dungeons for loot
-Most iconic weapons. Hand of Rag? Ashbringer? Thunderfury? We all love Indestructible windufrying fools, but those are all warrior weapons, buds.
-What's the best looking t3 that everyone wants since t3 is no longer available in retail? That would be Dreadnaught
-You're set for the next two expansions. Warriors(both specs) are extremely viable in BC and WOTLK. Especially fury.
-Quality at PVP and PVE.
-Cool class quests. I remember my Whirlwind axe more than my Felsteed honestly
-Every race available

If you got homies, warrior has far more upsides than any other class. But obviously everyone has preferred playstyles/aesthetics.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017

WOTLK is looked on too favourably imo in terms of legacy

+Northrend is cool
+Ulduar
+Best PvP expansion
+Marks for gear

-Everything else

It's when "aoe everything" ridiculously easy dungeons and gearscore anti-social behaviour became a major issue