• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately? This is purely for nostalgia, so using the new character assets would make no sense. All they need to do is support higher resolutions and we're in for a treat.

Making a nelf hunter and reliving 2005 all over again.

I agree that it is unfortunate. There is literally no reason not to give players the option to use the modern character models for example.
I would love to have the classic experience with modern art assets. It's all client based anyway.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Mounts were a status symbol? I worked crazy hard for my Pally mount, it had a crazy long chain that required dungeon boss drops to finish.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I miss WOW but I'll waiting for a new expansion to jump in... Not interested in classic Naxx 40 was already a hell of a torture back in the day with Sindragosa bugging and stuff.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oh shoot. I need that Collector's Edition. Hopefully Amazon gets them for preorder too!

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they'll have a Burning Blade server.

Either way, hope you're ready for pally gear to drop for horde and shaman to drop for alliance.

Also, fml, I'm going to play druid and hate end game and gear scaling all over again.

There's so much stuff I want to test with a bear druid, but oh my god I don't want to level one through vanilla again. Or go through the ordeal of maxing AB rep, getting gloves from Twin Emps, finding a Warden Staff, so on so forth.

Meanwhile I already know how to gear an Arms PVP warrior in no time flat. Still vividly remember my old routes for arcane crystal mining.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god i don't give a flying fuck about this expansion, all I want is Vanilla. I figured it would be august...when blizzard says something will release during a season, safest bet is to assume at the very last few weeks of said season lmao. Hope I can get into the beta

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Thank goodness. I cant fucking WAIT man. We got that launch date with timezones so everyone can put in their time off, lol.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
It's dissappointing to see it so late in Summer, and to need an active subscription for even a chance to get into the test, but at least it has a date now.

Whatever is going on with "layering" is extremely concerning and I need more details!

"We're aiming at launch for much higher concurrency caps on our individual servers than what was possible back then. In order to facilitate that, without having the gameplay break down, we have some relatively new technology that we've worked on. Its vaguely related to the sharding that we have in Battle for Azeroth. But it's actually running multiple entire copies of the world.

Rather than copies of individual zones, let's say if you're playing on the Mankrik server – which I think will be one of our server names, because everyone remembers Mankrik – there will be three entire copies of Azeroth, each with their own populations equal to what a launch server back in 2006 would have been. When you log in you'll move seamlessly throughout that world, but we can load balance between them.

Over the course the first few weeks, we'll both be raising the population caps on those worlds as players spread out more, and reducing the number of them. With the goal of, once we're a few weeks in, having all of our realms collapse down to a single cohesive world per realm, no sharding or anything like it. But that will help us manage the early-day player load while still keeping healthy populations in the long run."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-classic-gameplay-vanilla-wow-server

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Glad it finally has a date for people looking forward to play. I don't since I have done every single thing vanilla had to offer. I wonder why they need to beta test a 15+ years old game.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
He's also just said they're doing a 15 year anniversary collectors edition for it.

qTlmDGx.jpg
THIS WILL BE MINE

MINE

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks
"We're aiming at launch for much higher concurrency caps on our individual servers than what was possible back then. In order to facilitate that, without having the gameplay break down, we have some relatively new technology that we've worked on. Its vaguely related to the sharding that we have in Battle for Azeroth. But it's actually running multiple entire copies of the world.

Rather than copies of individual zones, let's say if you're playing on the Mankrik server – which I think will be one of our server names, because everyone remembers Mankrik – there will be three entire copies of Azeroth, each with their own populations equal to what a launch server back in 2006 would have been. When you log in you'll move seamlessly throughout that world, but we can load balance between them.

Over the course the first few weeks, we'll both be raising the population caps on those worlds as players spread out more, and reducing the number of them. With the goal of, once we're a few weeks in, having all of our realms collapse down to a single cohesive world per realm, no sharding or anything like it. But that will help us manage the early-day player load while still keeping healthy populations in the long run."
https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-classic-gameplay-vanilla-wow-server

Thanks for finding this. So it's just like they said earlier - dividing load at launch and collapsing it down soon after. Good to hear. I wonder how they will decide healthy server populations with this technology.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017

Aww then it won't be the same without mal-ganis going down for a full three fucking days during launch.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't think I could be hyped to play a 15~ year old version of a game I played already, but here we are.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
As someone who barely played since Cataclysm I'm perfectly okay only playing this.

I wonder if it will run on older hardware since I guess my old game PC aged out sometime after Draenor.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I'm not sure that I love the vanilla version of WoW there's a certain appeal to starting on a truly fresh server, and because I actually love leveling seeing how well I can do it.

I doubt I'll actually have the time but it sounds interesting.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looking forward to launch. Me and four friends will be forming a group and guild and limit ourselves to one night a week (I mean, we're not in highschool anymore) for mains. Other nights are for alts.

Looking very forward to replaying classic wow as my favorite classic wow class- Warlock. Fuck yeah.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone remind me quickly what the best class and specs were in 1.12? Paladins were really good then right? Trying to decide what I'll play!

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I would have liked an alternate Ragnaros statue with his proper colors. Not a fan of this styling.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone remind me quickly what the best class and specs were in 1.12? Paladins were really good then right? Trying to decide what I'll play!

All hybrid classes (Druid,Paladin,Shaman) best specs were pretty much the healing specs, and along with priest were all pretty good, priests being great pve healers, and paladins great pvp healers with good single target healing and plate armor. Warrior was the best tank by a decent margin with bear druid behind, and paladin tanking was not great, especially without a taunt.

Rogue and Warrior(Warrior more pve than pvp unless geared well) were great melee damage dealers, mage is great and Warlock gets stronger the further the game goes on (with having end game raid gear is very strong), although with warlock in pvp, horde is a potentially better choice as horde racials have strong stun resistance, which is a core part of warlocks with fearing especially.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
All hybrid classes (Druid,Paladin,Shaman) best specs were pretty much the healing specs, and along with priest were all pretty good, priests being great pve healers, and paladins great pvp healers with good single target healing and plate armor. Warrior was the best tank by a decent margin with bear druid behind, and paladin tanking was not great, especially without a taunt.

Rogue and Warrior(Warrior more pve than pvp unless geared well) were great melee damage dealers, mage is great and Warlock gets stronger the further the game goes on (with having end game raid gear is very strong), although with warlock in pvp, horde is a potentially better choice as horde racials have strong stun resistance, which is a core part of warlocks with fearing especially.

Orc stun resist has no effect on fear, but Undead Will of the Forsaken was very strong against it.