• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All hybrid classes (Druid,Paladin,Shaman) best specs were pretty much the healing specs, and along with priest were all pretty good, priests being great pve healers, and paladins great pvp healers with good single target healing and plate armor. Warrior was the best tank by a decent margin with bear druid behind, and paladin tanking was not great, especially without a taunt.

Rogue and Warrior(Warrior more pve than pvp unless geared well) were great melee damage dealers, mage is great and Warlock gets stronger the further the game goes on (with having end game raid gear is very strong), although with warlock in pvp, horde is a potentially better choice as horde racials have strong stun resistance, which is a core part of warlocks with fearing especially.

Thanks!

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't know if there's any version of WoW that can reconquer me but I will probably give this a shot for a month at least.
WoW ranks right next to Ocarina of Time for me in terms of mindblowing videogame experiences but every time I've jumped back in in recent years it has just felt flat. So, we'll see. Hopefully some of the magic will still be there.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested in playing this if they had a new modern graphics engine while everything else remained classic, but I'm not interested in playing a completely 2004 experience. Obviously there is an audience for it, so it's good for those that want it.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested in playing this if they had a new modern graphics engine while everything else remained classic, but I'm not interested in playing a completely 2004 experience. Obviously there is an audience for it, so it's good for those that want it.

2006 actually. It's patch 1.12.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all i know is im not leveling a goddamn paladin again
This might have been during Burning Crusade (but since it didn't really change stuff for sub-60 content, this may be irrelevant) but i loved leveling a Prot Paladin. Had this weird-ass idea of reflecting damage as much as possible (shield-spike, retribution aura, etc.). Really tough, could tank and kill multiple mobs at once. Maybe not the most efficient method but sure as hell was fun.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
In order to recreate the true Vanilla experience we need

1. Awful Barrens chat
2. Whining about Will of the Forsaken
3. Retribution Paladins complaining about not being viable.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gah that's too late! I was planning on playing it all summer before I start school again. Now... no can do

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
All hybrid classes (Druid,Paladin,Shaman) best specs were pretty much the healing specs, and along with priest were all pretty good, priests being great pve healers, and paladins great pvp healers with good single target healing and plate armor. Warrior was the best tank by a decent margin with bear druid behind, and paladin tanking was not great, especially without a taunt.

"best" specs is a bit misleading, in most cases healing was the only viable spec. Hybrid damage was garbage, straight up. By 1.12 they tried making some improvements, but feral druids in particular were straight up broken. None of the druid skills scaled with stats, weapon damage didn't increase feral damage, and the stat distribution on feral gear made each of the previous problems even bigger.

Druid healing was.... okay, but they basically had to rob other cloth users of their gear if they wanted to get anywhere near decent. Their primary purpose was to innervate the priests and try to mitigate wipes by battle resing the tank.

Anyways, the biggest reason for hybrids being pidgeon holed into healing is simply that everyone played healing, and most fights you were good with 2-3 tanks, which meant if you could heal, you were expected to in guilds because no one liked leveling pure healers.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
maybe i will just join the dark side and play hunter
Straight up in Vanilla, hunters were easily the most fun/chill to play. By 1.12 pets were a lot less annoying though pretty sure you still had to feed them. I only stopped playing Hunter because of a really bad real life experience that put me off them (relationship that went real bad). Druid got me to 60 just because when I got bored I could just foot the respec build and at least pretend to be a different class.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
seems odd they didn't take this opportunity to make a mobile-friendly version of wow instead and build it back up there

Oct 25, 2017
One small but important item at the bottom of the news release:

Blizzard said:
If you're eager to claim your character name in WoW Classic, take note: we'll be opening character creation on Tuesday, August 13. Players with an active subscription or game time on their account will be able to create up to three characters per World of Warcraft account. We'll have more information on realm names closer to launch, but rest assured—you'll have plenty of time to figure out your plans for realm domination!

If you already have BFA but lost interest quickly, as I did, early August might not be a bad time to get back in, just to take advantage of this privilege, reserve your Classic names, and poke around with some of the new content in 8.2 (which should be well out the door by then) since it's there anyway.

Interesting to note that we've heard a date for this but not for WC3 Reforged, which is the more important Blizzard release for me this summer. Of course, that's a game without a beta period or (to our knowledge) a physical collector's box, so it doesn't require the same lead time, but at this point I'm wondering if we will get it in July or if it will be bumped out of the summer entirely.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, that's a game without a beta period or (to our knowledge) a physical collector's box, so it doesn't require the same lead time, but at this point I'm wondering if we will get it in July or if it will be bumped out of the summer entirely.
Blizzard hasn't released a game without a beta period since before the original Starcraft, so I'm not sure why you'd think there wouldn't be one for reforged. Unless they've released a statement saying as such?

(fake edit) https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/191924

There is currently no public Beta version of Warcraft III: Reforged. For a chance at being selected if a Beta becomes available, make sure Warcraft is checked on the Beta Profile settings in Blizzard account management.

While not necessarily confirmation that there will be a beta, I certainly haven't found anything that says there won't be.

(real edit) https://www.pcgamer.com/warcraft-3-reforged-beta-due-early-next-year/

"hoping to have [the beta] start at some point early next year". The developer has not set an exact date but "the sooner we can get it started the better", he said.

That article is back from November, but it's pretty clear there is a beta planned. I'd imagine that summer is pretty unlikely for it's release at this point.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard hasn't released a game without a beta period since before the original Starcraft, so I'm not sure why you'd think there wouldn't be one for reforged.
SC:R didn't have publicly available beta, IIRC.

As for Reforged, it might not "need" a beta due to it being compatible with the original. That is, all changes and additions will be tested live with the original (latest WC3 patch made big changes).

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Unfortunately? This is purely for nostalgia, so using the new character assets would make no sense. All they need to do is support higher resolutions and we're in for a treat.

Making a nelf hunter and reliving 2005 all over again.
I have no nostalgia for Classic WoW, I started playing at the end of Burning Crusade during the Wrath build up event.

I played 2 characters to 60 on Nostralius and it was super fun, it's a very different game WoW Classic. I'd love to have the newer models though, I don't see that being egregious

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like if you're like me and are interested in this because of nostalgia, you should definitely watch some videos to get a wake up call on some of the more annoying aspects.

Like I heard a guy talk about mages stopping to drink alot and man did I get some flashbacks.

Edit: And lockpicking. Dear lord leveling lockpicking was annoying.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i always doubt the veracity of private servers because they constantly feel way easier than i remember wow ever being but then i think it could just be that everyone including me was so incredibly bad in 2005

guess we will see

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, druid shapeshift was originally (pre-launch) supposed to be cheap. But someone made them more expensive... and they were never made cheaper.

having played a druid all through vanilla it's crazy to think about how fucked everything was. The standards of class balancing (in games overall) have changed so much.

I still remember getting my raid set bonus which gave the amazing benefit of +60 seconds to Thorns duration, bringing it to a whopping 11 minutes.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
having played a druid all through vanilla it's crazy to think about how fucked everything was. The standards of class balancing (in games overall) have changed so much.

I still remember getting my raid set bonus which gave the amazing benefit of +60 seconds to Thorns duration, bringing it to a whopping 11 minutes.
Makes me wonder if Blizzard devs had any idea they were really doing.
Like, thinking about that for a moment should reveal how utterly stupid the bonus is. It is not exciting, it is not interesting, it is not useful!

Then again, many older games have utterly idiotic stuff that isn't really due to technical limitations, but evidently stuff that simply isn't thought through for whatever reason. Gaming as a medium has certainly matured in many ways.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
time to work on my Ice Mage and Disc. Priest PVP skills.
My go to classes back in Vanilla lol

I hope there is a good playerbase in these Vanilla servers and not have it mostly be dead...

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Esfand has a video up about everything.

Sounds like there's a version of phasing going on with will probably annoy some folks.

This guy sounds way too whiney. "If you get in better give good feedback". Say it a few more times so I can ignore it more

Going to have too decide if I want to sign up again to play some good old vanilla rogue shenanigans

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
argubly the best part of wow was tbc/wrath. atleast for raiders. uldar is still widely considered one of the best raids in mmo history.

WoTLK was the peak for me as someone who wasn't a hardcore raider but still had access to a ton of content. TBC had the worst opening zone ever and the dungeons were more annoying than fun.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
"best" specs is a bit misleading, in most cases healing was the only viable spec. Hybrid damage was garbage, straight up. By 1.12 they tried making some improvements, but feral druids in particular were straight up broken. None of the druid skills scaled with stats, weapon damage didn't increase feral damage, and the stat distribution on feral gear made each of the previous problems even bigger.

Druid healing was.... okay, but they basically had to rob other cloth users of their gear if they wanted to get anywhere near decent. Their primary purpose was to innervate the priests and try to mitigate wipes by battle resing the tank.

Anyways, the biggest reason for hybrids being pidgeon holed into healing is simply that everyone played healing, and most fights you were good with 2-3 tanks, which meant if you could heal, you were expected to in guilds because no one liked leveling pure healers.
Healing hybrid builds were the go to for those classes.
That is what they're were great at. PVP mostly.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
i will make feral druid viable in end game raiding..............it will happen this time!!!!

I tried to make cat dps work but even powershifting with the +energy gain on shift set bonus it was always kinda shit. Moonkin was theoretically fine with gear, but I only knew one or two birds who got enough cloth spell damage gear to be really competitive, and they probably made some enemies in the process. I could hit really hard in my AQ40 hybrid shit but it wasn't ideal for raids, just fun to one shot fools in pvp.

Bear was viable in fights that didn't involve fear mechanics, or if you were alliance and had a dwarf priest. There was no leather tank gear competitive with Naxx warrior tier set though, hell aside from the End of Dreams they stopped making fun druid gear after AQ40. And you couldn't do anything but go max armor/hp, raising defense high enough to avoid crits wasn't really something druids could do. Just had to get more armor than god so you didn't die to them. I tanked Patchwerk as a bear so it was doable.

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
I played a ret pally from vanilla through Pandaria and I'm gonna be stubborn and do it again