• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, couple things I guess. 1) It sounds like it's your first raid, and you got 2 epic pieces; can't really be mad at that. 2) Losing the sword sucks but I assume the person that got it has been raiding for awhile, and how do you think they'd feel if a brand new raider got it over them? Also it's probably more important to give gear to people who are progressing in BWL, when you can't do it. 3) It sounds like your loot system is a little sloppy and kind of a mess. What are you using? Sounds like LC because you got a piece off the bat, but then people are just doing /roll for items so sounds like ms+1 or w/e. This is why a system like dkp/epgp are better (LC is good just potentially highly suspect).

We only were able to down Razorgore tonight, took like 2 hours (had a really good 3rd pull but our MCer DC'd with like 10 eggs left and screwed it up) and couldn't kill Vael. Overall not bad, thankfully we do 2 BWL nights a week, so hopefully we can down up to Broodlord next time.

We only got Razorgore down as well. We got Vaelastrasz down to 2% on the last attempt of the night when we were out of consumes and a couple people had to drop so we'll get him next time for sure. It was great because our first attempt was like an instant wipe and we just inched up from there. Shifted our tank order, changed our healing assignments, popped the right cooldowns, and got further and further every time. We could've used a couple more healers I think just to keep everyone alive. He only at like 18k health left but that Fire Nova just eats away at people without fire resist or greater fire protection potions.

One thing I noticed is that he has turned towards the raid when threat was solidly with the tank. Is that part of casting Burning Adrenaline? Can the raid be flame breathed or cleaved from that? I just wanna get in there and try again but we're doing MC tonight. It will be a nice morale boost to blow through MC again. Might get some Limited Invulnerability potions to manage threat as well cause I did pull it and I think I tail whipped the OTs. Didn't wipe the raid with a cleave or fire breath but I died from his melee so we were missing that big execute damage. I might have been able to push us over the edge if I was still alive.

I'll have to live with the regret for the rest of my days.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm on there and I'm using the FurySim tool for DPS calculations. They got some great stuff.

Recently, I've been trying to figure out what I should replace my OEB with in BWL. Right now I can't get to 9% without sacrificing other stats and I think that keeps a lot of the BWL weapons from being a DPS increase.

Just illustrates how extremely powerful the human and orc racials are. I wonder what the reason for not giving all races at least one preferred weapon. Humans got two which is strange to me. Maybe they didn't really know how the systems would interact at the start.

OEB is stronger than the untamed blade or Greatsword? I'm not a warrior but that seems crazy to me. Untamed blade is a 600 AP boost which is absolutely fucking ridiculous, and Ashkhandi just hits like a Mack truck. Both of those have got to be better for Horde given windfury is a thing.

We cleared the first three bosses in BWL, and I managed to get Stormrage feet so I've finally got my 3 piece bonus which is gonna be an awesome boost to mana consumption. Still missing blue dragon but that's ok. I'm 100% sure we will clear the loot dragon's and hopefully we can just wrap everything up tonight.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
OEB is stronger than the untamed blade or Greatsword? I'm not a warrior but that seems crazy to me. Untamed blade is a 600 AP boost which is absolutely fucking ridiculous, and Ashkhandi just hits like a Mack truck. Both of those have got to be better for Horde given windfury is a thing.

We cleared the first three bosses in BWL, and I managed to get Stormrage feet so I've finally got my 3 piece bonus which is gonna be an awesome boost to mana consumption. Still missing blue dragon but that's ok. I'm 100% sure we will clear the loot dragon's and hopefully we can just wrap everything up tonight.

I might be using FurySim wrong. It has a spot to check if you have windfury and I think I have all the stats right. It might have something to do with glancing blows and the fact that white hits do a big chunk of your damage as a warrior. I'm not sure what the interaction is between +hit, +weapon skill, and overall DPS. I just know that if you're weapon skill is at least 305 then you need 6% hit otherwise you need 9% and I think 305 is one of the breakpoints for a big reducing in the effect of glancing blows. We only have a couple 2Hers so I'm rolling on them for sure.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We downed both Razorgore and Vael in the first two hours. We had to pug nearly 10 members too.

On Broodlord someone aggroed while raid leader was in the middle of explaining strat and before he got to positioning. So everyone was taking blast wave and broodlord was not tanked near wall. We finally wiped when someone aggroed the trash nearby. But we got him down to 65%.

We only have two raid nights and the other is reserved for MC and Ony. I am hoping we have time to make one more attempt but we'll most likely need pugs. We've been doing MC with about 30 for a while.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I might be using FurySim wrong. It has a spot to check if you have windfury and I think I have all the stats right. It might have something to do with glancing blows and the fact that white hits do a big chunk of your damage as a warrior. I'm not sure what the interaction is between +hit, +weapon skill, and overall DPS. I just know that if you're weapon skill is at least 305 then you need 6% hit otherwise you need 9% and I think 305 is one of the breakpoints for a big reducing in the effect of glancing blows. We only have a couple 2Hers so I'm rolling on them for sure.

Obviously I'm thinking in my mind that the person has 9% hit, but I'm just imagining in my mind the stats you sacrifice for those hit pieces because you aren't using OEB and whether the extra damage is worth it. Once again I have no idea, I'm just a humble Druid.

I tallied it up and I crafted 58 total corehound and lava belts yesterday. It was absolute madness for 3+ hours but it was something I'm glad I did. Between my historical savings, the money I made yesterday and the money i still have the ability to make on AH and other stuff I'm feeling pretty flush. Too bad there's really nothing worth buying other than raid consumables.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
We cleared BWL in two hours and made server first Thunderfury last night. Not a bad night.

We oneshot all the bosses except for Firemaw because we were using a scuffed tactic for him (not tanking him at the ez mode gate) and Ebonroc because the tranq rotation wasn't right.

The BWL instance server being overloaded was a bigger problem for us. Our MT and couple of other players accidentally released spirit and wasn't able to get back in for 30 minutes. One even got tpd to SG GY forcing them to wade through the alliance in BRM.

As for loot it was pretty unlucky but we did get the 1h Axe from Nef which makes up for our piss poor luck with 1hers from mc and Onyxia. Also I got t2 shoulders and the other two priests got one piece t2 each as well putting us all at the imba 3-set bonus.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Besides bringing Restorative Pots is there anything else a Resto Druid should do to prepare for BWL? We raid on Sunday because for whatever reason BWL was released on a Wednesday instead of a Tuesday =|

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
You'll need a steady amount of major Mana pots and greater fire protection pots. I also brought resto pots and shadow protection pots but ended up using neither.

Oct 28, 2017
You'll need a steady amount of major Mana pots and greater fire protection pots. I also brought resto pots and shadow protection pots but ended up using neither.

I don't think the GFPP are required at all. You only need a non-greater for Razorgore maybe. They don't really help anywhere else.

I would recommend magic resist pots for Vael if you don't have a pally in your group.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Besides bringing Restorative Pots is there anything else a Resto Druid should do to prepare for BWL? We raid on Sunday because for whatever reason BWL was released on a Wednesday instead of a Tuesday =|

This is my consumables loadout as dictated by the guild:

Restorative Potion x5
Free Action Potion x5
Stratholme Holy Water x5 (one stack, not required for engineers)
Greater Fire Protection Potion x5
Elixir of Fortitutde x5
Heavy Runecloth Bandages x20
Gordok Green Grog x10
Major Healing Potion x5
Limited Invulnerability Potion ("LIPS") x5
Juju Ember x10
Greater Shadow Protection Potion x5
Nightfin Soup x20
Major Mana Potion x10
Dark/Demonic Rune x20

Overall I think it's a good list, but I don't think elixir of fortitude or major healing potions are necessary, probably FAPs as well. I would add the 25 spirit booze from DM and ratchet up the major manas to 20. But yeah otherwise you only need LIPs for emergencies and GFPPs really aren't that useful other than if you're really struggling on Vael or Chrom

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I'm paying the price for dragging my feet with AV rep.

15k away from exalted and I want nothing to do with the bg because of how bad we (the alliance) are.

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California
Anyone else's guild struggling with BWL out?

Lost some key people these past few weeks and it caught up to us hard this weekend. Miserable MC clear and BWL attempts. My best friend in my guild is leaving now too (not that I blame him, mind you). I'm bummed.

Oct 28, 2017

Lost some key people these past few weeks and it caught up to us hard this weekend. Miserable MC clear and BWL attempts. My best friend in my guild is leaving now too (not that I blame him, mind you). I'm bummed.

BWL is going to kill a ton of guilds. It's going to be painful. If your guild survives, there's a chance it'll make it to Naxx. If it doesn't, it never would have.

Oct 27, 2018
Yeah. I arrived late after they'd wiped six times on Razorgore, but then we got it on my second try. Wiped about three times on Vael before calling it a night.

I was late again the following night and was told they'd wiped a further five times on Vael but the last attempt was 4%. We got it on the first try where I was. Cleared the two trash packs after it and then wiped twice on the suppression room before calling it a night.

It's tough but a fun challenge and I'm enjoying the slow progress.

As a rogue it is annoying when people who don't know a thing about your class make comments or stupid suggestions. Like I know it's my job to disarm traps and obviously I wanna stay stealthed, but the dragonkin's debuff knocks you out of stealth - I'm not doing it on purpose. I don't tell you how to tank, so don't tell me how to disarm traps please.

That being said, I do plan on watching some suppression room videos tonight to get my technique down.

My guild seem to be under the impression that once we're through there it becomes a straight forward tank n spank exercise and we can start getting excited about loot. Broodlord drops two things I want, and I believe he's next, so I absolutely cannot be late for the next raid!

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We made it to Firemaw on our first raid. A couple of wipes on Razorgore, a lot more on Vael (I think the kill was our 10th pull), suppression room + Broodlord down in one go and then another 8 or so wipes on Firemaw. Firemaw seems to be just down to our tanks figuring out how to handle the tank rotation. It's fun to be (progress) wiping again!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Don't take this the wrong way: I am glad BWL is proving a challenge for some. It's what it should be, in my head.

Me and my chum lucked into a really quite good guild without realising it, I think, and so we did it in one, with about 4 wipes across the whole thing. It's great to progress so fast, but at the same time BWL in my head, from Vanilla, was a monstrous lair of suffering and triumph. Not something smashed first time. So hearing you guys are having some trouble is nice for me.

Bet that makes you feel better and not at all condescended to ;D

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't take this the wrong way: I am glad BWL is proving a challenge for some. It's what it should be, in my head.

Me and my chum lucked into a really quite good guild without realising it, I think, and so we did it in one, with about 4 wipes across the whole thing. It's great to progress so fast, but at the same time BWL in my head, from Vanilla, was a monstrous lair of suffering and triumph. Not something smashed first time. So hearing you guys are having some trouble is nice for me.

My guild just has a super casual and non-optimized approach to raiding, for better or for worse. I'm sure it would be extremely frustrating for some people. It doesn't help that we raid on Saturdays so people are having a drink or ten lol

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
We attempted BWL last night - wiped constantly on the first boss (that makes it sound worse than it is - it was maybe half a dozen wipes as we spent quite a bit of time talking). We're definitely a casual guild and everyone was super cool about it all - I have no issues with dying over and over as long as progress is being made (and it definitely was).

It's kind of weird as a healer, sometimes I'm completely oblivious to what's going on around me. I focus on my job and ignore pretty much everything else (aside from a little positioning to keep me away from AE/cleave and to maximise who I can heal). That seems like quite a fun fight to be a DPS.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Firemaw was our bottleneck.

Personally I'm glad for the challenge, progression raiding is way more fun than MC facerolls

Oct 27, 2017
We didn't have enough people for our BWL attempt last friday (only 32 showed up) because of Valentine's day. Actually really nervous about the coming Friday. Hope we have a solid 40, otherwise we might start losing people.

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We didn't have enough people for our BWL attempt last friday (only 32 showed up) because of Valentine's day. Actually really nervous about the coming Friday. Hope we have a solid 40, otherwise we might start losing people.
We had a bit over 30 but ended up pugging the rest. Had some good pugs who knew their shit, our GM usually scouts people during the week so we don't need to rely on people who happen to be available then and there.

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California

Well, this was not a response I was expecting when I made my last post.

Oct 27, 2018
Passed on Baron's cape in Strat Undead because the hunter mentioned it about 50 times. I'm a rogue so definitely should've needed it but I couldn't have dealt with him crying in /g

Ehhh sometimes I think my "it's only a game" /soft touch side let's me down.
This hunter is really starting to annoy me. Did a few Rend runs tonight with the guild and s/he was gonna a roll on the MH sword. Kinda glad it didn't drop.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
This hunter is really starting to annoy me. Did a few Rend runs tonight with the guild and s/he was gonna a roll on the MH sword. Kinda glad it didn't drop.
Tell that hunter to stop being a Fucko. They'll only get worse if they don't get put into their place now. Who cares if they leave the guild, they become the least important class shortly anyhow.

Oct 27, 2018
Tell that hunter to F off and be a team player.
Tell that hunter to stop being a Fucko. They'll only get worse if they don't get put into their place now. Who cares if they leave the guild, they become the least important class shortly anyhow.
Yeah tell him to fuck off to Stratholme for the polearm instead.
I feel bad for not knowing if they're male or female. Like they have a mic but it's either a girl or a 12 year old, but it feels rude to ask.

But yeah we were looking for the last spot for UBRS in guild chat and s/he said "I'll come so I can skin" so me and the other skinner were like ehhh we'll take turns, but then s/he ninja'd most of them, including Gyth. And at the start s/he was like "oh i hope Rend drops his sword" so I said I already had the OH and was hoping for the MH, and s/he chips in with "me too." Fuck off.

Probably for the best that I mute my mic (to avoid the wrath of my wife) and just listen, or else I'd have probably lost my temper. As it is, I just typed "you're a hunter??" and [thankfully] it didn't drop on either run.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
According to HonorSpy I was at around 55% towards rank 8 after Sunday. I don't think what I did Monday will be enough to push me over. I really wanted Rank 8 before this week's BWL but next week for sure. I did get my Diamond Flask though. What's the recommendation for weaving that into raid? Should I just pop it before combat and switch to my 2% crit trinket or just equip flask to pop during Execute/Death Wish/Recklessness phase?

Last night I did spend almost all game gathering wolves for the Wolf Riders and someone helped me get the 25 ram hides. Those dudes are so legit. Better than the ice lord at breaking a choke at IWB or SPGY.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Switching the Daimond Flask doesn't work unfortunately, the buff disappears.
Hoj + Flask seems to be the best option now.

Cool cool. 75 str for a minute is a pretty good buff. I assume I'll swap it out for a Drake Fang Talisman when we get to that point. I'll have to fight off the tanks for that gear though but hey, they get the T2 set all to themselves.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

We did 3/8 on Wednesday. 3/8 Thursday and went back yesterday to see what the scoop was. Only managed to get chromaggus before we had to run and do MC. At first I thought we should smash our head against the wall for a bit on Nef, but in hindsight I realized it's ok for us to not full clear week one. In some ways it's demoralizing, but it's something you need to get used to in BWL as the content is only going to get harder as time goes by.

My old guild in Vanilla would have died to go 7/8 on week one, and I said myself that as long as the loot piñatas are on farm it's all good. Looking forward to this Wednesday and Thursday!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Well, this was not a response I was expecting when I made my last post.

It's funny. My Vanilla experience was ace, but upon reflection the guild I was in was definitely quite bad at raiding. But had so much fun, didn't care a jot.

By complete chance have joined an ex-hardcore-but-now-pretty-relaxed-but-also-still-very-effective guild for Classic, and they're carrying me proper good ;D

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
First night in BWL was a bit tough, but the second night we cleared out everything and now on reset day we 1-shot all the bosses except for Chromaggus. Back to farmville

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bwl experience so far

-Razorgore 1 shot
-Vaelstraz 3 shot
-Suppression and Broodlord 1 shot
-Firemaw 4 shot
-Ebonroc 1 shot
-Flamegor 1 shot
-Chrommagus wiped 3 times(2 times people ass pulling him)

So yeah we are 100% clearing Bwl this week we did 1 raid on monday and just ran out of time, if people could have stayed for 1 more hour we would have cleared it easily.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for not knowing if they're male or female. Like they have a mic but it's either a girl or a 12 year old, but it feels rude to ask.

But yeah we were looking for the last spot for UBRS in guild chat and s/he said "I'll come so I can skin" so me and the other skinner were like ehhh we'll take turns, but then s/he ninja'd most of them, including Gyth. And at the start s/he was like "oh i hope Rend drops his sword" so I said I already had the OH and was hoping for the MH, and s/he chips in with "me too." Fuck off.

Probably for the best that I mute my mic (to avoid the wrath of my wife) and just listen, or else I'd have probably lost my temper. As it is, I just typed "you're a hunter??" and [thankfully] it didn't drop on either run.
This seems like something you should perhaps quietly raise within your guild. I'd argue that someone that gives no fucks about others in the guild isn't someone that you should want to have there with you.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Man we managed to only down 2 bosses last week, with getting to Broodlord a few times but wiping.. Seeing some people brag about how easy it is, is kind of a feelsbad. We did spend a lot of time explaining every fight, and not fighting with consumes a few times on each boss though. We should be able to hopefully get to Firemaw tomorrow though. Our guild is far from a Hardcore guild, but it'll take us a few weeks to get BWL down. We actually killed Vael on our 4th real attempt, and got to Broodlord without wiping in all of our 3 attempts. Razorgore we can see the most improvement on, we do the 2 melee groups by stairs strat, i'm going to suggest to get a couple hunters to kite some dragons around when there's like 10 or so eggs left so we don't get overran at the end so badly.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Man we managed to only down 2 bosses last week, with getting to Broodlord a few times but wiping.. Seeing some people brag about how easy it is, is kind of a feelsbad. We did spend a lot of time explaining every fight, and not fighting with consumes a few times on each boss though. We should be able to hopefully get to Firemaw tomorrow though. Our guild is far from a Hardcore guild, but it'll take us a few weeks to get BWL down. We actually killed Vael on our 4th real attempt, and got to Broodlord without wiping in all of our 3 attempts. Razorgore we can see the most improvement on, we do the 2 melee groups by stairs strat, i'm going to suggest to get a couple hunters to kite some dragons around when there's like 10 or so eggs left so we don't get overran at the end so badly.

The beauty of BWL is that it's not so hard that you feel like it's impossible. You know you can do it when people play better. Yes it kinda sucks seeing everyone succeed and get loot right away, but if you're having fun that's the most important thing.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

There's no need to feel bad when those hardcore guilds have people with tons of experience doing BWL on private servers for years. Progression raiding is good team building and you'll be grateful for it when you've got this on farm waiting for P4 to drop!

Oct 27, 2017
Me and a couple of friends might end up transferring to a different server. Any ideas on good pacific PVP servers? We've been checking out the subreddits of Fairbanks, Smolderthorn and Whitemane. We're horde.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm on Fairbanks and think it's a great server. Horde/Alliance ratio is probably 2-1 but lots of PvE guilds are doing well and the Fairbanks PvP discoed organizes groups and ranking if you're into that.

It's a higher pop server but the benefit is that there are always lots of people around.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Well we 2 shot RG, 1 shot Vael, 1 shot BLL, but then struggled a bit on the lab packs - no wipes, just lots of deaths - wasted a lot of time on these packs, and couldnt get down Firemaw - got him to 30% one time so we should have all drakes down next day.