• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
By the people who only make fast-food dungeons now? In this thread of all places, let's not act like the judgment of the modern WoW team is unquestionable :P
Like the upper ring isn't tedious as hell, it's the same hallway/room combination that's been copy/pasted six times.

Oct 28, 2017
Modern dungeon and raid design is lightyears ahead of Classic. It's not even close. Modern WoW just has a much different and, on my opinion, worse game design philosophy in other areas.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Finished Zul'Farrak, man it was so much fun, didn't do Gah'Zrilla since i didn't have the mallet but that was fine since i did all the quests there besides that.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Molten Core is super basic, really, but if you put it on a learning curve with Naxx at the end, it makes more sense.

I for one would like a lot of Classic stuff to have a little more spice, encounters wise, but I am also having a helluva lot of fun all the same. All part of the overall package.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's a definite Excel mindset, good way to put it. Obsessively running shit over and over to satisfy a list that should never really be considered too highly given we've already had an update that has released a flow of new, better, items into the mix. Endless farming runs rather than mixing it up a bit, reserving items (fuck off), on and on.

Less irritating, but still odd, I see people who must have spent hundreds of gold to buy 4 or 5 greens with high +heal so they're ready to what? Overheal on 95% of MC and go OOM on dispels?

It's an uglier side to the game and curious to boot.
A fellow Warlock in my guild has been blindly chasing the BIS list despite my best efforts to talk him out of it. He spent an insane amount of gold/time on Robe of the Void, dropped over 100g on a max-rolled +Shadow cloak, among other things.

Meanwhile I've "settled" with Robe of Winter Night, and have been content with picking up very slightly sub-optimal Shadow Wrath gear for like 30g at a time.

I'm rapidly approaching the end of my Dreadsteed farming, while he's like "Yeah I probably won't have that for a while." The thing that makes it all extra ridiculous is that it's Phase 1 and DPS is the last reason to bring Warlocks to a raid.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
A fellow Warlock in my guild has been blindly chasing the BIS list despite my best efforts to talk him out of it. He spent an insane amount of gold/time on Robe of the Void, dropped over 100g on a max-rolled +Shadow cloak, among other things.

Meanwhile I've "settled" with Robe of Winter Night, and have been content with picking up very slightly sub-optimal Shadow Wrath gear for like 30g at a time.

I'm rapidly approaching the end of my Dreadsteed farming, while he's like "Yeah I probably won't have that for a while." The thing that makes it all extra ridiculous is that it's Phase 1 and DPS is the last reason to bring Warlocks to a raid.

Get into MC and get a few drops that comfortably add, at base, a huge wadge of stats or versatility (e.g. basic spell DMG rather than pure shadow), and all that was for...? Proving what? Some BIS stuff is of course amazing even past BWL, on some occasions, but mostly... Naaah. It's not like you can't kill most of MC without everyone in BIS.

CBA with it!

Apple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm heartbroken.

From vanilla through WotLK, my wife and I played with another couple almost daily. Their names were Avaline and Aaran. But after Cataclysm we began to drift apart, as we stopped playing as much, and then they stopped playing as much, and while we'd all get back together again at the start of each new expansions, it was never lasting. Eventually my wife and I stopped even buying the expansions, and before I knew it, it had been years and years since we last spoke with them.

When Classic was released I was so excited to relive the good old days, but I checked battle.net and saw they hadn't logged on for months. So every single day I would check, waiting for they day they came back, waiting for the day it said I had just missed them, that they were on earlier that day, that they're back. I knew Classic just wouldn't be the same without them.

And then, last night, Avaline logged onto Battle.net.

I was so excited, and chatted her immediately. I wanted to know if they were coming back to play Classic, I wanted to know if we were all going to be together again... but she told me that Aaran had passed away just two weeks ago. And that she wasn't really sure what to do. That she was lonely. That her computer wasn't really capable of playing anything, but she just needed something to occupy her mind a bit.

My wife and I were in tears. We never met them, and it's been years since we last spoke with them, so we were shocked at how devastated we were at the news of his passing. The relationships you build in these games are real. And they're special. And Classic will now be forever bittersweet for us. For so many others have been blessed to be able to relive those special golden years from long long ago, but for us, there's no going home again.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm heartbroken.

From vanilla through WotLK, my wife and I played with another couple almost daily. Their names were Avaline and Aaran. But after Cataclysm we began to drift apart, as we stopped playing as much, and then they stopped playing as much, and while we'd all get back together again at the start of each new expansions, it was never lasting. Eventually my wife and I stopped even buying the expansions, and before I knew it, it had been years and years since we last spoke with them.

When Classic was released I was so excited to relive the good old days, but I checked battle.net and saw they hadn't logged on for months. So every single day I would check, waiting for they day they came back, waiting for the day it said I had just missed them, that they were on earlier that day, that they're back. I knew Classic just wouldn't be the same without them.

I was so excited, and chatted her immediately. I wanted to know if they were coming back to play Classic, I wanted to know if we were all going to be together again... but she told me that Aaran had passed away just two weeks ago. And that she wasn't really sure what to do. That she was lonely. That her computer wasn't really capable of playing anything, but she just needed something to occupy her mind a bit.

My wife and I were in tears. We never met them, and it's been years since we last spoke with them, so we were shocked at how devastated we were at the news of his passing. The relationships you build in these games are real. And they're special. And Classic will now be forever bittersweet for us. For so many others have been blessed to be able to relive those special golden years from long long ago, but for us, there's no going home again.

Damn, bittersweet to say the least. Even though they have passed, never forget that connection. It's special, no matter the circumstances or physical distance.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm heartbroken.

Damn, I'm so sorry for your loss.

You're absolutely right about these relationships being real ones. We're not even two months into Classic and my guildmates feel like family, despite them being complete strangers to me before I happened upon a link to their Discord on Reddit.

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao I am cackling to myself like an idiot about this.

I was on my 60 warlock helping a friend out do his jintha alor quests when we bit off a bit more than we could chew. It was a dire situation so I for the first time ever decided i needed to drop an inferal as it was the only stun i had.

Infernal comes down and quickly helps mop stuff up which felt bad ass, however a little something I didn't know was that the infernal is set to defensive by default when you summon it and i was sitting there wondering why the fuck i was still in combat?

I turn around and somehow my infernal had gotten aggroed to a poor level 46 nelf hunter pet which he promptly murdered and then turned to the hunter who was just unable to get away, i guess FD was on CD but i just watched my infernal rip and tear through this hunter and one of their friends before I realized he had just gone berserk and I had to run or hell would follow.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I am cackling to myself like an idiot about this.

I was on my 60 warlock helping a friend out do his jintha alor quests when we bit off a bit more than we could chew. It was a dire situation so I for the first time ever decided i needed to drop an inferal as it was the only stun i had.

Infernal comes down and quickly helps mop stuff up which felt bad ass, however a little something I didn't know was that the infernal is set to defensive by default when you summon it and i was sitting there wondering why the fuck i was still in combat?

I turn around and somehow my infernal had gotten aggroed to a poor level 46 nelf hunter pet which he promptly murdered and then turned to the hunter who was just unable to get away, i guess FD was on CD but i just watched my infernal rip and tear through this hunter and one of their friends before I realized he had just gone berserk and I had to run or hell would follow.

RIP little night elf and friend.

For my own little story. I was going through Ashenvale, heading to Felwood, and took the long way so I could help people as I went through. Posted in chat if there were any alliance bullies and as soon as I did I found two little gnomes ganging up on an undead. He frist novaed them and was trying to run and I charged in and they had no clue what was happening. Just two swings and that was that. One tried to blink away and the Rend + Deep Wounds ended that. Turns out the undead was totally lost and had never played WoW before. He was looking for the Zoram Strand flight path so I just led him there, tossed him five gold, and told him to shoot me a message if he had any questions about the game. I've been trying to help as many people as possible as I go through the game and tell them to pay it forward. I'm hoping that spirals into some exponential positive impact down the line as those people help people and then those people help and so on. If I can get someone over an elite quest they've been stuck at for hours or kill some bullying gnomes then that's just more fun to me. I'll never pass up an opportunity to harass the other faction. Gnomes are notorious bullies.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't prepared for just how horrible the switch from shadow to holy would actually be. Holy fuck.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I wasn't prepared for just how horrible the switch from shadow to holy would actually be. Holy fuck.

You do a lot less damage, for sure. I do think the weakness of Holy is overstated tho, especially when you consider you survivability goes up massively. It's just not a prime DPS spec in any sense.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
You do a lot less damage, for sure. I do think the weakness of Holy is overstated tho, especially when you consider you survivability goes up massively. It's just not a prime DPS spec in any sense.
I'm just constantly struggling for mana, it's insane. I'd also argue survivability is actually down because I either go all out with my spells and OOM after two mobs or I try to conserve and take a lot more damage.

What do you use as a rotation?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'm just constantly struggling for mana, it's insane. I'd also argue survivability is actually down because I either go all out with my spells and OOM after two mobs or I try to conserve and take a lot more damage.

What do you use as a rotation?

MB(/+ Holy Fire then MB if tougher mob) - Pain - Smite X1 or X2 and then wand. You won't be able to nuke as you did, but losing a bit of HP instead of Mana is preferable as so easy to fix.

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't wanna grind mobs solo.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Finally hit 40 and got my mount. FeelsGoodMan

Still have 50g left over too. Now do I burn it all on gear upgrades or start saving for my epic mount?

I would just start saving. Your best upgrades are going to come from quests/dungeons anyway. I spent 40g on the Executioner's Cleaver because it's so hot and I didn't want to use a sword or mace but I wouldn't recommend that because I could've just as easily used Gatorbite or respecced into sword-spec while I was using Stoneslayer. Sometimes I scan the AH and beef up old gears with BoE greens if I can get them for a gold or two. My shoulders and belt were super old so I just found a couple replacements for less than a g. I wouldn't go all out though because, like I said, you're just going to replace them.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
MB(/+ Holy Fire then MB if tougher mob) - Pain - Smite X1 or X2 and then wand. You won't be able to nuke as you did, but losing a bit of HP instead of Mana is preferable as so easy to fix.

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't wanna grind mobs solo.
OK, not too dissimilar to what I'm doing then. :/

I'm level 57 and in WPL at the moment so the mobs are 2+ levels below me too! Hopefully I can get some good dungeon runs in over the weekend and finish it off so I don't actually have to care about non-dungeon quests on this character anymore.

Still have 50g left over too. Now do I burn it all on gear upgrades or start saving for my epic mount?
Definitely wait to splash I'd say. I haven't bought a single piece for my priest yet (although I guess a warrior might need to worry about that more).

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I really wouldn't bother with AH loot unless you spy a ridiculous bargain or have loads of trouble with getting a particular item slot replaced. I just replaced Gnome bracers with DM North bracers...

As I have said before, I think pre-raid BIS is useful as a guide but should not be fetishized, and maximising a raw +power stat over a balance of things isn't necessary and will cost you far too much money. MC is not especially hard, and you don't need to run it endlessly to get a few bits of loot.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I need to ask: does the final boss of DM North have a spell lock? I got charged the other night while healing and I couldn't cast a fucking thing but I don't remember the cooldown numbers appearing on my bars and I don't know if it was just because I was in a panic or not - trying to work out what happened. I have had the occasional instance of a BT disconnect of my KB but that's usually accompanied by an overlay saying disconnect/reconnect.

Also, because I'm also in the process of getting used to down-ranking my spells. What are people using for their bindings? I'm using clique currently with:

shift + LNB = max renew
shift + RMB = max gheal
shift + MB3 = max flash
shift + MB4 = max shield
shift + MB5 = max prayer

Number buttons at the moment I still have my damage spells for when I'm out questing but now I need to weave a couple of ranks of heal, flash and an extra gheal I'm gonna need to switch it up.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I only have 4 MBs but never thought of using shift as a modifier. Will make everything much easier!

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I do and I haven't had any issues yet. I can't afford not to use every available button on the keyboard as a Warlock.
Yeah, I've just set some bindings tonight. Healed LBRS and UBRS and it was so much smoother managing my mana with the down ranks. ^_^

Of course I now struggle to do anything that requires me to interact with a character portrait. :p

New bindings:

LMB = heal 3
Shift LMB = heal 4
Ctrl LMB = dispel
RMB = gheal 1
Shift RMB = gheal 4
Ctrl RMB = abolish
MB3 = flash 1
Shift MB3 = flash 4
MB5 = prayer 1
Shift MB5 = prayer 3
Q = PW:S
R = Renew

Still needs a little tweaking I think, but much better than before.

EDIT: I'm not convinced heal 3 and 4 are needed.

Last edited:

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
As a level 44 resto shaman, I have 5 heals on my keyboard/mouse

Level 1 healing wave to get a quick procs of healing way
Level 5 healing wave
Level 7 healing wave
Max level lesser healing wave
Max level chain heal (only 1 at the moment, get rank 2 soon)

No idea if that's the most efficient or not, but seems to be working

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
My warrior is about to ding 18.

What quest reward should I take from WC? the staff or wingblade? I'm leveling as a 2H fury

Oct 27, 2018
Did Gnomeregan with a completely inept group so didn't do any of the quests you get inside (as a Horde) so will try to run that again and get the daggers.

Also got all the quests for BFD so will run that for sure. Would have been a pain in the ass if I hadn't looked it up and got the Damp Note on the way in, cos I'd have to run it twice.

Someone in my guild is making me a deadly blunderbuss (I have skinning and mining so easily had 2 medium leather and 8 copper bars) and I sent him 5s for good measure, so I can get the Warsong Boots.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
JFC its IMPOSSIBLE to find a guild that wants a warrior, and I'm fucking DECKED in pre-raid bis.
If you want secure a raiding spot at 60, avoid avoid playing warrior/rogue/mage.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Finally beat Maraudon and got the Resurgance Rod.

aww.png

tenor.gif

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hit 51 on my alt today, it's getting so close I can taste it. I definitely won't be doing a 3rd char any time soon.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Hadn't logged in for several days and was looking forward to some glorious Rest XP.
Forgot that I logged in the middle of nowhere in Desolace... -_-

Oct 27, 2018
Did Gnomeregan again with a tank who knew the way around but I had to leave after the Electrocutioner cos my daughter woke up 😭 and it dropped the ring, which is no good for me as a rogue, when he can also drop an awesome weapon.

At a bit of a loss at level 32. Think I'll just grind out quests in Hillsbrad until I can do SM.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I've never had this much of an issue with gold, but I'm level 42, no mount, and have 64 gold. I've skipped quite a few unnecessary skills, and have skinning (which I've mainly used as vendor trash since the prices on the AH aren't much higher) and herbalism (which I've hoarded for level 60 to skill up alchemy).

Good news is, I'm a Druid, so whatever. 40% travel form instant cast isn't wildly worse than 60% 3-second cast mount.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got my mount at 42. Only trained what was absolutely necessary, bought zero gear etc. I'd guess you have quite a few essential skills to train as Druid.

Oct 27, 2018
You can easily do GY/lib at 32.
Oh really? Thanks. I'll look up the quests tomorrow and get working on any prerequisites, if there are any.

Noticed a real lack of tanks. Spent 20 mins looking for one for RFK until someone in my guild asked their level 49 Druid husband to do it. My rolling was amazing too, won loads of greed rolls but nothing came up that I needed. Still, was a good way to spend 35 mins. :)

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Hit 60! ^_^

Now I have no idea how to organise myself in gearing up.

Oh really? Thanks. I'll look up the quests tomorrow and get working on any prerequisites, if there are any.
Yeah, the spread for SM is from around 27 (I think) for GY right up to around 42 for cath.

Noticed a real lack of tanks.
Yeah, it's definitely the least played role. A lot depends on what you're looking for of course, but fortunately my guild has a few good ones that are generally willing to help.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Hit 60! ^_^

Now I have no idea how to organise myself in gearing up.

Big grats. The big thing isn't to go insane going to a particular dungeon just because one piece you really need might drop when other places may have a raft of items. I'd highly recommend going to DM as the dungeon has a shit load of gear for basically everyone. UBRS and Strat/Scholo are also good.

Basically, getting dungeon experience and money and finishing quests while picking up items is the name of the game. Make sure to spread it out a bit and have a chuckle while doing so.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've done a decent chunk of DM (healed a Shammy tank in north last night. That was... fun). I'd actually love to get some quests done but that's gonna mean running BRD probably a couple more times at least!

I've run LBRS once and UBRS a couple of times.

I also need to get the last 20 points in tailoring and actually level enchanting... and I haven't even started cooking or fishing yet!

So much to do.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I've done a decent chunk of DM (healed a Shammy tank in north last night. That was... fun). I'd actually love to get some quests done but that's gonna mean running BRD probably a couple more times at least!

I've run LBRS once and UBRS a couple of times.

I also need to get the last 20 points in tailoring and actually level enchanting... and I haven't even started cooking or fishing yet!

So much to do.

I have a little check list to keep track of some of my more important and less important goals but I never try to be beholden to it. For example, I want to hit revered Argent Dawn, but last night I chose to level fishing which wasn't even on my to do list.

If you're a healer I'd still recommend DM just because there is so much good caster gear in there but BRD emperor runs (assuming you've saved princess) are also awesome has emperor has awesome drops and you can usually include fineous in your run for the senior designer pantaloons

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm using sixtyupgrades.com which is really nice for targeting stuff (now that I've made sense of how it all works). I haven't saved the princess yet (I made my last group kill her for my chance at the gloves, which didn't drop) - I have the legs from DM (which are better than the BRD legs I think). I'm also trying to get the bracers from DM north (I submitted to a mage begging me to pass on them last night as they're "more for DPS"... but they didn't drop anyway) and I still need to do the Fordring quests for the ring (and also get the ring from LBRS).

Like I said plenty to do! I also need Qia in WS to actually stock the tailoring pattern I need to get my last 20 points...