• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Finally went to STV at level 35. It has gone really well, honestly. Started with Nesingwary Camp quests and almost done with those. Made like 6 gold from those quests and the trash drops from them along the way. Almost up to 30 gold now at level 36. Seems like a long way to get to 90 gold by 40, but it comes in much more rapidly near those last few levels, so I'm not too worried. I'll get a loan from a guildie worst case scenario.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Finally went to STV at level 35. It has gone really well, honestly. Started with Nesingwary Camp quests and almost done with those. Made like 6 gold from those quests and the trash drops from them along the way. Almost up to 30 gold now at level 36. Seems like a long way to get to 90 gold by 40, but it comes in much more rapidly near those last few levels, so I'm not too worried. I'll get a loan from a guildie worst case scenario.
Yeah planning out gold is hard because you gain so much more gold per level as you increase in level and leveling takes a while so I have no idea if I'll be good for my mount by 40 or not. I have ghost wolf form so it isn't a huge deal if I have to delay it by a level or three though.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
The other day in STV there was a ?? going around ganking near Nesingwarys (im 42 for reference). Stalked her in cat form for a bit until my chance came up. it seems she had to afk for some rl stuff and hid behind a tree to bio or something. The result? Just like heaven.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The other day in STV there was a ?? going around ganking near Nesingwarys (im 42 for reference). Stalked her in cat form for a bit until my chance came up. it seems she had to afk for some rl stuff and hid behind a tree to bio or something. The result? Just like heaven.

These are the moments when you check your combat log for a name and remember it for future use. That being said, non-stealth classes probably take it less hard the fellow Druid's or rogues May.

Sometimes I just wonder how people can play anything other than Druid. It's so fucking pimp.

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
Healing Uldaman was a fun and sweaty experience! It's a solid step up in difficulty from previous dungeons, especially that last boss, and the DPS-specced tanks' inadequacies are starting to show.

That said, it was disappointing to go in there with a bundle of Uldaman quests only to realize afterward, only one of them actually is done in the dungeon!

Last edited:

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Healing Uldaman was a fun and sweaty experience! It's a solid step up in difficulty from previous dungeons, especially that last boss, and the DPS-specced tanks' inadequacies are starting to show.

That said, it was disappointing to go in there with a bundle of Uldaman quests only to realize afterward, only one of them actually is done in the dungeon!
Doesn't help that the level range of the dungeon is huge and from my experience people tend to go there in low 40s when the last boss is level 47 (?).

Always fun to use any advantage you have to get payback. A couple of days ago a level 60 mage came to help a warrior with some quests in Tanaris and killed me (a 49 warlock) in the process. I ended up waiting until they were engaged in one of their AoE pulls and the mage got low mana, resurrected and killed them both. And then I left the place ASAP and only went back to finish the quest the following day.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Question for fellow Shaman instance healers: Do you usually participate in the fights (in the beginning when no one is injured) or do you stick to healing entirely?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Question for fellow Shaman instance healers: Do you usually participate in the fights (in the beginning when no one is injured) or do you stick to healing entirely?
I play priest, but as a general rule when I start a new instance I'll stick to healing until I get a feel for how much the group needs me. If I'm constantly healing/dispelling etc and OOM after every/other pull then throwing DOTs around isn't going to help.

If it's all going smoothly then I'll use up SW:P and VE as much as possible while making sure I still have some mana to deal with problems. Not an option for a shaman but I'll also wand when I think I'll need to hold onto the mana but still want to contribute in some small way.

I would imagine that's a pretty good rule of thumb for all healers. :)

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

It depends on what your role is. If you're off healing, then of course go take some swings. If you're main healing, you have to be careful of a few things. Lots of mobs have AoE's, cleaves, silences etc which will hamper your ability to heal so those mobs are best avoided. However, keep in mind that the closer you are to the mobs, the faster they will come to smack you if you pull aggro. Mage or ranger type mobs don't make much of a difference, but if you're beside a heavy hitter and he swings on you, that blows.

Another consideration, especially with AoE groups, is that having some spacing between ranged/healers and melee also helps tanks to see the trajectory of mobs and who may have picked up aggro. Plenty of times I'll be swiping and mauling and I've got 3 or 4 of the mobs but one will peel off so if I see that I can taunt it back to the group. Lastly, if your tank isn't turning mobs, that would force you to go to the opposite side to do damage placing the melee in the middle of the group with a healer on one side and ranged on the other. If mobs start running all over or if mobs aggro ranged and healer at the same time, that makes it more difficult for the tank to take care of things. Food for thought.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have a question about loot etiquette in classic: i was grinding rep for the timbermaw hold, and teamed up with someone else to make it easier. one of the mobs dropped a 16 slot bag, and since my best was 14 slots i immediately clicked "need," assuming the other dude would do the same, but they chose "greed". i instantly asked him why he didn't click "need," since who doesn't need a 16 slot bag? i was going to offer to roll for it again, but all he said was "gg" and went offline. i can only assume he was upset about the roll.

basically, are you not supposed to roll "need" on bags?

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If there is one thing I have learned in WoW:Classic about Horde, specifically in STV:

Horde and honor should never be used in the same sentence. Sylvanas is 100% the leader they deserve lol.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
i have a question about loot etiquette in classic: i was grinding rep for the timbermaw hold, and teamed up with someone else to make it easier. one of the mobs dropped a 16 slot bag, and since my best was 14 slots i immediately clicked "need," assuming the other dude would do the same, but they chose "greed". i instantly asked him why he didn't click "need," since who doesn't need a 16 slot bag? i was going to offer to roll for it again, but all he said was "gg" and went offline. i can only assume he was upset about the roll.

Bags are definitely N in my book.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

In my experience it isn't as much of a tank issue as much as it is a level issue. People seem to do Uldaman in the low 40s, where as the final boss is 47. Even a tank at the right level is likely going to struggle keeping aggro on both elites and the boss at the same time endlessly but that wouldn't be too much of an issue if you can DPS the boss down quick enough that the adds don't have time to peel off and kill the healer. Unfortunately with people going into do the boss at low 40s, that means you likely aren't going to have that kind of DPS just down to misses and resists etc, so you end up getting wipes as the healer dies and it's all over.

It's funny really. Uldaman is like two different dungeons really. The first 3/4 or so of it is a cake walk, and then you get to the last chunk and enemies hit like trucks and the final boss is a pain of its own.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

It's possible to cheese the last boss of Uldaman by pulling him out of his room, preventing him from summoning his adds, FWIW.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm still undecided on what build to go when I finally ding 60.

Anyone have any advice? Just the first two, ignore the fire build.

Either Arcane Power Frost 31/0/20 or Winter's Chill Frost 16/0/35

Are you planning on raiding? I know Mages will sometimes coordinate so that all of them don't spec into winters chill but that enough of them do to get the proc going. If it's just for PvP then arcane frost is tight.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

I'd agree good bags are worthy of a need, but personally I'd have either asked or waited to see what they rolled. If there were only two of you, you could have easily just matched his roll type. :)

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
it was a fair need roll and you gave them the chance to reroll, if they tilted then that's their problem

personally i dont roll on anything until i am dead certain who is rolling what, i am going to be the last person to roll and if someone else is sandbagging without an adequate answer i probably will just assume the worst

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
It depends on what your role is. If you're off healing, then of course go take some swings. If you're main healing, you have to be careful of a few things. Lots of mobs have AoE's, cleaves, silences etc which will hamper your ability to heal so those mobs are best avoided. However, keep in mind that the closer you are to the mobs, the faster they will come to smack you if you pull aggro. Mage or ranger type mobs don't make much of a difference, but if you're beside a heavy hitter and he swings on you, that blows.

Another consideration, especially with AoE groups, is that having some spacing between ranged/healers and melee also helps tanks to see the trajectory of mobs and who may have picked up aggro. Plenty of times I'll be swiping and mauling and I've got 3 or 4 of the mobs but one will peel off so if I see that I can taunt it back to the group. Lastly, if your tank isn't turning mobs, that would force you to go to the opposite side to do damage placing the melee in the middle of the group with a healer on one side and ranged on the other. If mobs start running all over or if mobs aggro ranged and healer at the same time, that makes it more difficult for the tank to take care of things. Food for thought.
Thank you for the detailed answer, exactly the perspective I was looking for. I was thinking along these lines as well regarding the better overview for the tank.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
as a healer and a person who wants to always help, i take one or two pulls to gauge the strength of the group while healing/wanding and then will use mana to throw up dots as appropriate based on my findings

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you for the detailed answer, exactly the perspective I was looking for. I was thinking along these lines as well regarding the better overview for the tank.

Maybe the last thing I would say as well is that if you need a healer to do damage, you're probably in trouble. If I'm tanking, that's my role, the DPS do damage, that's their roll. Asking a healer to do damage just distracts them from the one job they have, to heal. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. I also say this as someone who was a hardcore healer back in Vanilla. It's tempting, particularly as a Druid that may have omen of clarity, to get a few whacks in. But 90% of the time just stay in your lane and nothing bad should happen.

as a healer and a person who wants to always help, i take one or two pulls to gauge the strength of the group while healing/wanding and then will use mana to throw up dots as appropriate based on my findings

This is the caveat to the above. The nice thing about this is that you can wand while still being dedicated purely to healing. DPS often have movement and Cooldown issues to track. If you're a priest you can just hit "wand" then watch lifebars, it really requires no effort.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

My rule is to roll need if I'm going to equip it (either immediately or eventually if level restricted) and then greed if I'm going to sell, DE, or otherwise not use. I generally never pass on anything. If I'm going to equip it for an off-spec or something then I see if anyone else is needing first. Even though tanking is my off-spec I'll take tanking gear if I am tanking at that time which is usually the case. For example, as a warrior I'll need roll any applicable 1H weapon or Shield for tanking even though I'm specced arms. I'd also need roll any applicable 2H arms weapon as that is for my primary spec and I'll use it.

All of that to say if you're going to use it, need roll it.

Oct 27, 2018
Formed a guild with my [rl] mate. 😎

bEb3i5v.jpg

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the last thing I would say as well is that if you need a healer to do damage, you're probably in trouble. If I'm tanking, that's my role, the DPS do damage, that's their roll. Asking a healer to do damage just distracts them from the one job they have, to heal. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. I also say this as someone who was a hardcore healer back in Vanilla. It's tempting, particularly as a Druid that may have omen of clarity, to get a few whacks in. But 90% of the time just stay in your lane and nothing bad should happen.

This is the caveat to the above. The nice thing about this is that you can wand while still being dedicated purely to healing. DPS often have movement and Cooldown issues to track. If you're a priest you can just hit "wand" then watch lifebars, it really requires no effort.
When I'm healing as a Druid I tend to not bother dpsing, as I'm in agreement that a group really shouldn't need the mediocre amount of DPS one might put out. I've gone a feral/healing hybrid while levelling so no omen of clarity and otherwise I'd rather just keep a solid amount of mana around in case a pull goes awry, which happens more than you'd think with pugs.

I never did it back in original classic either as an holy paladin, although the reason is even more simple then, paladins just couldn't DPS, lol.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a lvl 31 shaman who heals instances at the moment. Not specced resto at all but I tend to just not do anything but heal the entire dungeon. In fact I switch all my gear and have an actionbar filled with different heals.

At the beginning I'll focus on the tank and try out my different rank heals to see which ranks to use around different health percentages. From there I'll typically judge the same for the other party members.

It's actually my first time ever attempting to heal in WoW, which is insane to type considering how much I used to play. Has me wanting to make a priest and do it all the way!

kalavaras

Oct 28, 2017
While I appreciate pug raids being a thing since my guild doesnt have enough lvl60 people my god is it tedious. 2019 and theres a bunch of people who have 0 clue how Onyxia works and they have no interest listening the tactics. These guys get constantly tail swiped to whelps, consume deep breaths like its candy and stopping dps on landing seems like 200iq task. If we somehow manage to get phase3 going with a handful of of healers and dps, they havent even bothered learning first aid and health pots are not a thing. And of course if a wipe happens at least 4 people leave the raid.

Im about to join a pug MC next weekend and Im sure thats a ton of fun. At least theres some bosses where all you need is few ppl who have dispell/decurse on their hotbar. Cant wait to be blown up by Geddon bomb or Shazzrah aoe though.

Another thing that frustrates me is the overwhelming number of holy priests on my server. Right now its harder to find a 5man group looking for a healer than dps. I pretty much have to make a group myself everytime and everytime Im LFM Im getting a bunch of "is your healer dps specced so I could heal instead?" messages rather than getting a dps joining.

Well, its still very early stage of the game and one day Ill have a guild run going but right now Im just laughing at the peoples comments saying how super easy vanillas supposed to be.

Oct 25, 2017
Cdew led a massive Horde raid into Ironforge on Faerlina tonight. The Alliance responded with a huge amount of force and I tagged along (only lvl 31 so I died a lot lol). It was a huge lagfest but it was cool being there. At least to me. :)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
If you look at a damage meter, your dps as a healer isn't making a difference. Your need to replenish the mana would take longer than the time it took to make the fight shorter with your dps.

The only real scenarios for healer DPS:
- bossfights with time-sensitive dps-needs where the boss isn't making any damage or very low damage. (either wand auto-attack or manaspells if you have time or the means to replenish it after the phase)
- fleeing enemies with low hp that could pull another group
- when you are the last man standing and the raid-boss is at 0.1% ;)
- when you are oom (wand auto-attack)

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
You're probably better off grabbing a level or two in dungeons then moving to STV. Another good place to go would be the shimmering flats and thousand needles.

Followed this advice and did a couple Stockade runs and one loooooong Gnomeregan run; that finished up a bunch of quests in my log and now I'm level 32. Questing in Hillsbrad and Arathi at the moment, then will likely move onto STV. I also just crossed the halfway mark in my mount fund, sitting on 47g and feeling like I should have enough once I hit 40.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Haha. Our shaman healer who had done about 300 total damage in the whole of SFK so far was last man standing against Arugal and finished him off with melee. 😁
The only thing better than an intense boss fight where everyone dies except the last member of your team is the exact same thing except the surviving member can resurrect everyone haha.
Followed this advice and did a couple Stockade runs and one loooooong Gnomeregan run; that finished up a bunch of quests in my log and now I'm level 32. Questing in Hillsbrad and Arathi at the moment, then will likely move onto STV. I also just crossed the halfway mark in my mount fund, sitting on 47g and feeling like I should have enough once I hit 40.
Sounds like you're doing awesome great job. You could move into STV now but picking some low hanging fruit where you are now is also great. Getting into STV around 33-34 means you'll be able to blaze through a lot of the early quests as well as not aggro every single mob in the zone when you run on the trail.

Having a big bank is great but you should never sacrifice your key skills or bags for just a big cache of stuff. I'd rather run around with 40 gold and 4 runecloth bags than 48 gold with woolen bags. Similarly, I would never not train claw or maul just to keep 3G extra. Money will always come but experience comes once, better to prioritize the latter and not the former (within reason)

Mountainous

Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Ws0V0Ro.png

For the first time ever, I leveled fishing to 300. Azshara is my farming zone. I can farm demonic runes for raiding. Or Essence of Water and Winter Squid. Or, I can do herbalism laps.

I also go my first legendary from MC the other night. Going back tonight, hopefully I can win the The Eye of Divinity from Major Domo.
WrTX2Lb.png

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting on like 30 Essence of Water but they are only worth 6g atm. They should easily rise in value, especially with the slow removing of layering and more people finding bis items?!

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bough the pattern for Robe of the Void. Now I "just" need to farm 40 Felcloth (and a bunch of other stuff). Not that at I'm even level 60 or 300 tailoring yet...

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Threw Cassandra's Grace up on the AH for 200g. Got a /w asking if I'd sell it for 130g (which is definitely closer to the market rate) but as I'm in two minds about whether to sell at all (I'm levelling a priest at the moment) I think I'll try a few times to maximise what I can get for it.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Threw Cassandra's Grace up on the AH for 200g. Got a /w asking if I'd sell it for 130g (which is definitely closer to the market rate) but as I'm in two minds about whether to sell at all (I'm levelling a priest at the moment) I think I'll try a few times to maximise what I can get for it.

That's a lot. I paid 80g for it three weeks ago when I hit 60. I guess there's more buyers now but I'm still surprised that it's going for that much.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know. I thought I'll list it a few times (maybe bringing it down 10g each time) and if it doesn't sell I'll just keep it. I'm not exactly flush right now (level 48 and my highest character - I think I have a total of about 70g) but at the same time I have no pressing need for the cash so can try my luck.

Oct 27, 2018
Even though I'm only level 26 and have 5g to my name I've decided to try and buy and flip stuff on the AH.

Bought a few blues last night but I feel like having no addon is hindering me, although I've never used AH addons before. What are the benefits of having the likes of Aux and Auctioneer?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm only level 26 and have 5g to my name I've decided to try and buy and flip stuff on the AH.

Bought a few blues last night but I feel like having no addon is hindering me, although I've never used AH addons before. What are the benefits of having the likes of Aux and Auctioneer?
Assuming it's similar to what they used to back in original classic, they used to basically poll the AH for prices and then save them so they could give you quick and easy historical prices and recommend you on what to price stuff at.

Oct 27, 2018
Assuming it's similar to what they used to back in original classic, they used to basically poll the AH for prices and then save them so they could give you quick and easy historical prices and recommend you on what to price stuff at.
Sounds like cheating. I'm all over those!

Just hope my bids for 2x Lil Timmy's Peashooter were successful.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I use Auctioneer - valuable if for nothing other than I can tell at a glance whether to vendor something, disenchant it or throw it up on the AH. Just need to stop at the AH for a few seconds when I pass to scan it.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
God PvP is so fun in this game. I saw these two alliance, rogue and priest green for me, doing a quest and then as I was passing by an orc warrior rezzed. I immediately knew that they had killed him and there was going to be a throwdown. We just both stared at each other and the rogue got me in a stun and they tried to burn down my bud. I was able to break out of it and charge it, Hit the rogue with mortal strike and crit him like three times in a row ending with a 905 execute. Tore right through the priest's shield on him. The orc was dead at this point and I was a bit low but turned towards the priest. He was actually slowly backing away as I Intercepted him, got mortal strike up and just powered through. Barely survived but I got em. Then it became a kerfuffle and we recruited three more buds and just ran em down with mounts and then killed a couple more alliance that were in the way. It's just so organic and fun.