• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
No way we get BC within a year. I can't imagine that happening even remotely.

If they are going through the expansions then I'd prefer some time with them. And also some changes lol. Classic shows us that OG (and TBC WoW also imo) is a timeless experience so they should preserve what made it great through the expansions. I think it proved that it was more than just nostalgia powering desire for it. The nostalgia has only enhanced the experience for me but through it all, it's a damn good 10/10 game.

One thing that has stuck with me:
When they spoke with members of the original team for that WoW Classic video they said that Chris Metzen always said that the world is the main character of the game. The secret to the success of the game was there right from the beginning and yet it was slowly stripped out of it. Classic forces people into the world to engage with it, invest in it, and build relationships with it and other players. Yeah I'm being a little dramatic but it hit me when I watched the video. That was the secret sauce that was lost along the way.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Had some group kick me out of a SM Armory run because they didn't think my gear was good enough. This after waiting like 20 mins for their whole group to get there. Like wtf.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The only issue I've had is people being too low for Uldaman. That last boss is level 47 and there are plenty of level 41s and such running that dungeon. I could take like 1 but multiple low levels made the last boss really difficult. SM is no problem though, especially armory. It's so quick and easy. Those people waited longer for the group than it takes to actually run the dungeon.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get some UI screenshots in here? I'm interested to see what other people are rolling with.

I'll post mine after I get home.
I've always loved TukUI, mine's pretty much that at default settings (class coloured). <3

I want to use ElvUI but it seems to have way less button space and I need ma visible buttons.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much the same for all of my characters:

0CHVvCc.jpg

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I was using GennUI, a profile for ElvUI but everything was so small and the raid/party frames didn't let me see mana which I was using to know when to keep pulling and when to wait without having to ask.

I'd be interested to see other people's suggestions as I'm just using stock right now. The biggest improvement I did was macroing my stance changes so something like Whirlwind will always switch to Berserker Stance first, Charge will switch to Battle Stance, stuff like that. I also added a startattack command so that I'm always starting the auto-attacks which things like rend don't do on their own.

Any setup suggestions for a warrior?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I was using GennUI, a profile for ElvUI but everything was so small and the raid/party frames didn't let me see mana which I was using to know when to keep pulling and when to wait without having to ask.

I'd be interested to see other people's suggestions as I'm just using stock right now. The biggest improvement I did was macroing my stance changes so something like Whirlwind will always switch to Berserker Stance first, Charge will switch to Battle Stance, stuff like that. I also added a startattack command so that I'm always starting the auto-attacks which things like rend don't do on their own.

Any setup suggestions for a warrior?
Don't forget a mouse-over macro for sunder armor. It'll make situations where you need to tank more than one enemy at a time way easier. It won't cut the damage, but you'll be able to keep mobs on you easier.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Don't forget a mouse-over macro for sunder armor. It'll make situations where you need to tank more than one enemy at a time way easier. It won't cut the damage, but you'll be able to keep mobs on you easier.
Oooo I don't know why I never thought of doing this. I've never really used a mouse over macro though so I guess that's why. How does it work, mousing over the enemy just places sunder?

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
wowscrnshot_101119_20i0jea.jpg

My screen has ended up like this after fiddling a bunch. Not exactly a minimal layout. I found I was not paying attention to healthbars and such when they were off in the corner, so wanted them much closer to the centre.

I have the G600 MMO mouse with the 3x4 buttons on the thumb corresponding to the number row on the keyboard. The middle three boxes of actions correspond directly to those with no modifier and a shift or ctrl modifier. I also have that 4x2 action to the left of the main one, with the 4 ' - 'icons; those ' - ' icons correspond to WASD on the keyboard with binds for Q, E, R, F shown around it. The rest of the action bars are just clickables. Probably an ugly mess to most, but it's working for me. Party stuff isn't shown but I have the four party members situated centrally just above the action bars, short bars, almost square; again I was having issues tracking party member hp and such when the bars were off on the edge of the screen. Exp bar bottom right (which I've just noticed is a few pixels skewed to the right - must fix!). The puppyface icons are just some common emotes.

Domino for action bars
Threatplates for nameplates - not shown here but also has a nice prominent castbar for enemies
Pitbull for unit frames
MikScrollingBattleText for the outgoing dmg/effects (left, moving up the screen) and incoming (right, moving down) dmg/effects, and notable info ('X calls for backup', 'X ability is ready', etc.)
Quartz for my castbar

Last edited:

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
Does your G600 cursor jump around randomly in game sometimes? Mine seems to happen only in games not on the desktop.
Sure fuckin' does!

Happens infrequently enough that I haven't yet binned the thing, yet it's absolutely an irritant that might strike at any time. It's only truly screwed me over once in the six or so years I've had it, playing a card game where I was targeting an enemy unit with a damage spell in the middle of the board -- as I clicked, the cursor jumped down to the bottom of my screen and I targeted my portrait instead, killing myself.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Sure fuckin' does!

Happens infrequently enough that I haven't yet binned the thing, yet it's absolutely an irritant that might strike at any time. It's only truly screwed me over once in the six or so years I've had it, playing a card game where I was targeting an enemy unit with a damage spell in the middle of the board -- as I clicked, the cursor jumped down to the bottom of my screen and I targeted my portrait instead, killing myself.

thats-a-bold-strategy-cotton-lets-see-if-it-pays-29081193.png

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a little worried, one of my main IRL dudes who plays with me is getting bored I think. We both used to be heavily into BGs and PVP in general but I think he's getting burnt out.

I'm still enjoying myself so I'll keep playing no matter what happens though.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Did Uldaman a second time only to find out there is still a quest i need to do...urrggh. I think i am going somewhere else and then do that quest later

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Big raid today, I got Nightslayer Chest and Perdition's Blade, my DKP is super minus now but can't complain. My offhand is terrible though, I really need Bonescraper which has never dropped or the new Dire Maul dagger next week which is great. We actually got our first Corehound Tooth today too, so that's one person less.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Big raid today, I got Nightslayer Chest and Perdition's Blade, my DKP is super minus now but can't complain. My offhand is terrible though, I really need Bonescraper which has never dropped or the new Dire Maul dagger next week which is great. We actually got our first Corehound Tooth today too, so that's one person less.
Wow very nice run.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

You're already way ahead of the game. I just got Cenarion Chest and Gloves so I'm super pumped for Wednesday. I'm definitely picking up a lot of new gear next week it's gonna be sickkkk

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Hit the big 5-0 today so only 10 more levels to go. Hopefully BGs and the like come soon. That's what I'm really looking forward to.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, I didn't realise people were also resurrecting DKP to go along with classic. That's the really authentic experience! ;-)

(Haven't most guilds abandoned dkp over the years? I know every guild I was familiar with did).

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wow, I didn't realise people were also resurrecting DKP to go along with classic. That's the really authentic experience! ;-)

(Haven't most guilds abandoned dkp over the years? I know every guild I was familiar with did).

We initially did Loot Council but people wanted full transparency and the ability to target the items they wanted the most, so we switched to DKP using Monolith DKP. It's actually working out well IMO, it definitely speeds up the run, plus there's no drama, our loot council was very fair and still people had issues, you can't argue with DKP.

Classic is very different to Retail, where you don't need the items to clear content, in Retail I was raiding at a top 50 world level so every piece was precious and it was given out where it would do the most work, whereas in Classic we clear it in blues so if people pass on minor upgrades to save for weapons it doesn't affect us at all. We offer all PvP/offspec loot for half price to stop decent items getting D/E. For me I saved for a month to get Perdition's Blade, now I'll just bid on any BIS pieces, Core hound Tooth would be nice but the Dire Maul dagger is fantastic, so I'll get that on Wednesday.

In other news I just got my Mage to 40 and bought her mount which I'm super happy with, she almost had the 90g herself, so I only had to send over 15g. This tier is all about laying a foundation for later tiers, so I really want to get my alt sorted, ideally I'd have a healer too but who knows if I can be bothered with that lol. Mage is just so easy compared to Rogue, I was in a good Spellcleave group yesterday, and we were doing the entire SM Cathedral with the boss in one pull. I'm definitely looking forward to Dire Maul on Wednesday, having something to farm will be fun.

You're already way ahead of the game. I just got Cenarion Chest and Gloves so I'm super pumped for Wednesday. I'm definitely picking up a lot of new gear next week it's gonna be sickkkk

We only have one Druid, he has everything lol, the boy is dripping from head to toe.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's the same thing for us. Our druid and hunters are stacked to the brim already. We have a hunter with 5 tier 1, both tier 2 and the bow. They get multiple items per run while me and the five other priests get to share one drop per mc clear. It's lucky we don't have to gear up our priests and most of the mc loot is worse than prebis anyway.

I still want my Benediction though, frigging leaf.....

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I know it was always put down to rumour and happenstance, but druids and hunters getting the majority of drops in Tier 1 vanilla raiding was such a meme across so many guilds you do have to wonder at the drop rates.

We saw *so* many hats and leg pieces for them off Ragnarok and Onyxia in particular.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I know it was always put down to rumour and happenstance, but druids and hunters getting the majority of drops in Tier 1 vanilla raiding was such a meme across so many guilds you do have to wonder at the drop rates.

We saw *so* many hats and leg pieces for them off Ragnarok and Onyxia in particular.

Going back into those old Thottbot threads (via classic WoWhead) and seeing those endless hunter weapon debates just cracks me up.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's the same thing for us. Our druid and hunters are stacked to the brim already. We have a hunter with 5 tier 1, both tier 2 and the bow. They get multiple items per run while me and the five other priests get to share one drop per mc clear. It's lucky we don't have to gear up our priests and most of the mc loot is worse than prebis anyway.

I still want my Benediction though, frigging leaf.....
I'm curious why priest is so popular in classic. I've mostly played healers (with the occasional tank) whenever I've played WoW and it's never been like this - our guild is absolutely full of priests.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious why priest is so popular in classic. I've mostly played healers (with the occasional tank) whenever I've played WoW and it's never been like this - our guild is absolutely full of priests.

They're hands down the best healers in classic and shadow priest is the best pvp class.

Druid and Shaman are able to keep up pretty well in terms of healing but they didn't hit their stride until TBC where all the hybrids got fleshed out.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Everyone wanted that sweet guaranteed raid invite, not realizing the other million dwarf priests want it too!

Oct 27, 2018
Well the priest I rolled to play with my mate is stuck at level 20, cos he's never bloody online. Might get to play tonight and we've 7 days rested XP so I might suggest another WC run even though we did all the quests last time we played. Good xp though.

meanwhile my "alt" rogue dinged 30 early into RFK last night so was able to have the Going Going Guano quest shared and I think I'm done with that dungeon. I'd still like the +3 agi bow (I have never used range beyond the initial 200 throwing daggers but the stat boost would be nice) but I ran RFK twice and the white bat never spawned so I cba keep doing it for nothing. Got my first SM and RFD quests off the back of it so will just grind a bit in Tarren Mill, I think. I simply don't have the playtime due to real life commitments (two hours max) so Gnomeregan is out the question.

still really enjoying it.I read the classicwow subreddit almost all day at work. 🤓

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I can't seem to care about alts and just go back to my Druid.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I have major altoholism

51 Warlock
37 Shaman
22 Mage
15 Rogue
10 Warrior

slowly but surely!
My priest main is pushing 57 now and I have a warrior at 12. I have a mage, shaman and druid all <10.

It's been *really* hard recently to focus on my priest, I'm feeling the pull of multiple alt classes now. Honestly I can see me flipping as soon as I hit 60. D:

Oct 27, 2017
Hate how most of the gear I need is in UBRS. Warrior is so overpopulated that you mostly need to tank, which is fine but in UBRS you still roll against like 4-5 people.

I've done around 25 UBRS clears and seen the truestrike shoulders once and two Rend offhands. Must be punishment for getting the Savage Gladiator Chain in my thrid brd run.