• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
All my old gold farming spots are super overpopulated now.

Farming essences and elemental of fire? forget about it, all the spots are being camped around the clock.
Deadwing Pass usually has people.
Mining has a lot of competition.

It's been pretty hairy on Fairbanks which is still subject to layering. I can only imagine how bad it will be in the near future.

I'm gonna stick to farming AD Rep I'm dungeons and once I'm done with that I'll do my level best to farm furbolg Rep, which once phase 2 is up will probably be a bad idea but oh well, we all make bad choice now and again.

Racketpunch

Oct 26, 2017
Any Alliance guilds on the Whisperwind cluster accepting a casual? My guild up and left to a different server/faction and I'm not about to transfer all of my characters since I don't raid anymore anyways

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally achieved one of my goals and got those SC shoulders for 8/8 set. Didn't have the whole set in vanilla before so im very happy about this.

4m1WuDc.jpg
zQ79Asj.jpg

Been having lot's of fun by just running normal dungeons and still lot of items to get. Have not stepped in to MC or Ony yet and wont before I have everything I "need" from 5 mans. Don't really have the time for both. Great thing about this game is it's fine to play just few hours a day or even a week and still get great progress. Don't really feel like Im behind or missing out on anything even if there are people already with complete Tier 1 sets etc.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I got Demonshear last night which is fun. Now I have to boost up my 2h sword skill. I switched to fury to do some DPS but I still want to use 2H weapons because I like them so I'm using a build that gets me at least second in DPS on a single target. Under the mage but over the rogue so I'm happy with that. Although leather and mail are often the best for pure DPS, I'm trying to just stick with plate. I wanna be a beefy damage dealer.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Few times, hunters also for some reason really liked rolling on them.

I mean I guess that 6 set is ok for feral druids, don't know what items are "the best" but anyway.

I have full shadowcraft as a feral Druid and I can say with confidence that the set is pretty good, but 8 set is overkill and 6/8 bonus for Druid isn't nearly as useful as it doesn't give you access to more utility just more damage.

4/8 however is quite strong. Especially is you have head, belt, pants and boots. If you get down to 0 pieces the DPS is pretty similar and you may have way less PvP stats. I need one more item before I'm gonna feel comfortable getting rid of my 4 piece shadowcraft but that's also just for phase 1. Come phase three it's gonna be a whole new ball game.

Oct 28, 2017
I got Demonshear last night which is fun. Now I have to boost up my 2h sword skill. I switched to fury to do some DPS but I still want to use 2H weapons because I like them so I'm using a build that gets me at least second in DPS on a single target. Under the mage but over the rogue so I'm happy with that. Although leather and mail are often the best for pure DPS, I'm trying to just stick with plate. I wanna be a beefy damage dealer.

A standard 20/31/0 is what I use for 2H Fury in raids. It works well.

I'd highly recommend giving in and going with leather and mail. In PvE it's no contest.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm only lvl 40 in Classic. I have been playing it casually since release, mostly solo, mostly exploring, and mostly in short bursts. I went back to standard WoW last night to see how things were and holy shit, I felt like an invincible god. There was just such a tonal shift. Not bad per se, but it was quite jarring. I readjusted quite quickly though.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

I'm rockin Demonshear from Strat (Live) atm which is a 2h sword. I haven't had a chance to hit a Mortal Strike with it since I switched to fury but Whirlwinds and Slams hit like a truck. I see the difference between Bloodthirst (based on AP) and Mortal Strike or Whirlwind (based on weapon damage) now which is interesting. Apparently Slam is a non-normalized weapon damage ability while Mortal Strike is normalized. I'm not exactly sure what that means in terms of things being greater or smaller. After playing a Feral Druid, having to worry about weapon skill sucks...

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm rockin Demonshear from Strat (Live) atm which is a 2h sword. I haven't had a chance to hit a Mortal Strike with it since I switched to fury but Whirlwinds and Slams hit like a truck. I see the difference between Bloodthirst (based on AP) and Mortal Strike or Whirlwind (based on weapon damage) now which is interesting. Apparently Slam is a non-normalized weapon damage ability while Mortal Strike is normalized. I'm not exactly sure what that means in terms of things being greater or smaller. After playing a Feral Druid, having to worry about weapon skill sucks...

Normalized refers to the damage component granted by virtue of swing speed. It used to the case that basically all skills damage was calculated off weapon speed whic almost always incentivized finding the nastiest and slowest weapon in the game. This resulted in weapons with high DPS but low swing speed actually doing less than a weapon with the same DPS but a higher swing speed.

Some time later it was patched so that weapons were placed into 3 normalization tiers with the highest end calculation variable being 3.5 swing speed (if I'm not mistaken). Basically, you still want the slowest weapon you can get for PvE, and PvP it depends on spec

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Normalized refers to the damage component granted by virtue of swing speed. It used to the case that basically all skills damage was calculated off weapon speed whic almost always incentivized finding the nastiest and slowest weapon in the game. This resulted in weapons with high DPS but low swing speed actually doing less than a weapon with the same DPS but a higher swing speed.

Some time later it was patched so that weapons were placed into 3 normalization tiers with the highest end calculation variable being 3.5 swing speed (if I'm not mistaken). Basically, you still want the slowest weapon you can get for PvE, and PvP it depends on spec

This stuff is really interesting to me.

I found this calculation on vanilla-wowwiki and elsewhere so hopefully it is accurate.

normalized_damage = base_weapon_damage + (X * Attack Power / 14)

where X is:

• 1.7 for daggers
  • 2.4 for other one-handed weapons
  • 3.3 for two-handed weapons
  • 2.8 for ranged weapons
  • weapon speed for non-normalized attacks
This means that my slam attacks will actually do more damage with my slow weapons because they have a higher multiplier. I'm sitting at about 1k attack power with Battle Shout so my Demonshear would be about

246 + (3.3 * 1000 / 14) = 481 max or 398 minimum. Not too bad. Slam as a non-normalized attack would max at 246 + (3.8 * 1000 / 14) = 517.

Bloodthirst on the other hand is based on attack power so that damage is a whole different calculation. I actually reduced my bloodthirst damage when I swapped out Executioner's Cleaver for Demonshear because EC has +23 strength but nearly everything else does more. Executioner's Cleaver is actually a pretty stacked weapon I'm realizing. +hit, 23 strength, and really high damage for the level. And with Axe spec it beat out pretty much every other weapon while I was leveling until like BRD if I got the Dreadforge Retaliator. Plus it was 40g compared to Kang being like a million.

Oct 28, 2017
This stuff is really interesting to me.

I found this calculation on vanilla-wowwiki and elsewhere so hopefully it is accurate.

This means that my slam attacks will actually do more damage with my slow weapons because they have a higher multiplier. I'm sitting at about 1k attack power with Battle Shout so my Demonshear would be about

246 + (3.3 * 1000 / 14) = 481 max or 398 minimum. Not too bad. Slam as a non-normalized attack would max at 246 + (3.8 * 1000 / 14) = 517.

Bloodthirst on the other hand is based on attack power so that damage is a whole different calculation. I actually reduced my bloodthirst damage when I swapped out Executioner's Cleaver for Demonshear because EC has +23 strength but nearly everything else does more. Executioner's Cleaver is actually a pretty stacked weapon I'm realizing. +hit, 23 strength, and really high damage for the level. And with Axe spec it beat out pretty much every other weapon while I was leveling until like BRD if I got the Dreadforge Retaliator. Plus it was 40g compared to Kang being like a million.

You should not be using slam. It does not play nicely with autos like it did on private servers. Normal fury with cleave/HS as your rage dump is best.

Slam is a DPS loss.

Oct 28, 2017
Even for a 2H rage dump? I see that Slam resets the swing timer while HS is just every swing but I could get off a couple slams between swings of my 2H in a rage dump.

You could if you talent it, but then you'd be doing less damage in other ways and in any fight with movement you would have to heroic strike anyway. Since it resets the swing timer, it's a minor upgrade in perfect scenarios maybe and a downgrade in any scenario that isn't perfect.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Ran 7 dungeons today still trying to get the pre-raid BiS drops. 7 dungeons and only Reed dropped. Druid shit out the ass. So demoralizing to play all day and have nothing to show for it.

Edit: yes, I fully realize that these types of posts 15 years ago on Blizzard forums are what led us to what WoW is today. But still!

Oct 27, 2018
With phase 2 almost upon us, I've parked a level 3 rogue in Gurubashi Arena. Chance of getting the chest now = 0.00001%. 🤦🏻‍♂️

PvE server so this is gonna be the main source of honour, isn't it? 😭 Proper missed the boat in getting Arena Grand Master for a twink.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
No luck on getting a Hand of Justice drop this weekend. Luckily I can easily tank Arena/Angerforge runs and people are always looking for arena runs at least. Also did a three hour full clear which also involved us 4-manning the emperor, getting really lost, bungling nearly all of the guzzler bosses, 3-manning another boss, and really just having a great time by the end.

Also what will happen on a PvP server Tuesday? Hillsbrad was the battleground back in the day, right?

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Although I absolutely loved playing Classic I couldn't quite shake the feeling that I was playing a dead game. Everything that's currently in the game, or that will be released in the future has been dissected and documented to death. You can find thousands of guides of the best talent builds, most efficient ways to level, best times, etc. And everything is common knowledge. Making everything feel super rigid and dead.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Although I absolutely loved playing Classic I couldn't quite shake the feeling that I was playing a dead game. Everything that's currently in the game, or that will be released in the future has been dissected and documented to death. You can find thousands of guides of the best talent builds, most efficient ways to level, best times, etc. And everything is common knowledge. Making everything feel super rigid and dead.
What game can't you do that in?

Oct 25, 2017
I hit level 40 and bought my mount tonight. I am so happy. I've had an awful past 2 weeks on a personal level and this gives me great joy. <3

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just remember, PvP kill rewards come Thursday, phase 2 itself is today. I just want to log in and see a fucking key ring already. People can already craft Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros, but no one has figured out how to make a single loops of metal!

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Your CP decays 20% every week. At low levels this is harmless but rank 9+ it starts to become a concern.

A couple other questions: When you attain a rank is the gear just purchasable for gold and if you drop a rank do you lose the gear you already have or just access to buy new pieces? Also do you lose your title?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm finding it hard to get good answers with my searches. Guess I could just wait and see how it works for myself.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
A couple other questions: When you attain a rank is the gear just purchasable for gold and if you drop a rank do you lose the gear you already have or just access to buy new pieces? Also do you lose your title?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm finding it hard to get good answers with my searches. Guess I could just wait and see how it works for myself.
Yes, the gear is purchasable for gold. If you drop a rank you can still use it but you cannot repurchase. Your title decays over time if not maintained.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

There's a few good YouTube videos explaining how CP, RP, DKs and HK's work.

It was the case a long time ago that you had to have the rank to buy the corresponding gear but now your ability to purchase is based off max rank achieved. If you hit high warlord (rank 14) you'll be able to purchase everything until the end of time, but you will slowly derank down to Scout if you never take another life.

If you drop a rank you can still use it but you cannot repurchase.

This is false. You can always repurchase gear even if you are below the rank. It was the way for a while but they changed it after a few months.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Apparently key ring is coming at some later undetermined time. Rip in pepperonis keyeronichaineroni