• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The world PvP situation is indeed tiresome. It's so extravagantly imbalanced and so obviously systematised for efficiency and done with no care for challenge that it feels like, as an Alliance player, you are essentially just another form of PvE content.

Tho when we raid MC we clear BRM and nail every last camping fuck to the wall.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm eagerly awaiting battlegrounds. On Sunday we did push back a raid as they tried to get to Molten Core. World PvP is fun but I never really had super fond memories of it as a player that started in TBC. It was a real spectacle that first day though. I'm glad to have experienced it.

My guild brings 80 people to MC and Ony and we still get wiped trying to get in. I spent an hour last night corpse running to UBRS and Dire Maul.

You're on Incendius Alliance, right? I was doing Arena/Anger runs and we (the Horde) had BRD on lockdown for hours it felt like. BRM is always a roll of dice it feels like.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can't Horde just kill all the Alliance battle masters? I'm surprised they don't just kill all the flight masters, bankers and auctioneers in the city.

As a night elf on a PVP server, sometimes it feels like it isn't worth it to travel outside cities when not in a raid.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm eagerly awaiting battlegrounds. On Sunday we did push back a raid as they tried to get to Molten Core. World PvP is fun but I never really had super fond memories of it as a player that started in TBC. It was a real spectacle that first day though. I'm glad to have experienced it.

You're on Incendius Alliance, right? I was doing Arena/Anger runs and we (the Horde) had BRD on lockdown for hours it felt like. BRM is always a roll of dice it feels like.

Alliance occasionally has BRM itself, but Horde has Searing Gorge 100% of the time and usually Dire Maul. It's not fun :(

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
We have yet to get a mageblade in 6 runs. 3 staffs so far, I'm happy I got the first staff, as theres's still 10+ people wanting the mageblade.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't know.

Already lost two rolls for ToEP that raid. Only 3 guys rolling for the Mageblade despite the raid being full of casters because everyone else have been spending their dkp and were unable to max bid, and I still can't win. My rolls have become a subject of a great amount of jokes among my friends.

Stick with it. It took me 6 weeks to finally win it. We haven't started a DKP type system as of yet but there are talks.

Edit: Also 6 MC raids, not one Ring of Spell Power has even dropped.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
T2 hat, Benediction, Cauterizing Band, T1 gloves and belt. Just need T2 legs, Vambraces and Shoulders or Boots, and replace my belt with Whipvine Cord and I am set for BWL.

Actually, scratch the T1 3 piece bonus. Just need Vambraces and Whipvine.

We've had 0 T2 priest legs so far.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018
Having recently played a bit of my [just] 24 Priest, I don't know how people do it. The comparison to my 43 rogue is night and day.

I think I'm just more suited to the 'mindlessly tap three or four buttons and not really worry about anything else' - mentality.

Which classes are most like this? Besides rogue? I guess hunter? That's what I mained on vanilla though so was after something different.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Having recently played a bit of my [just] 24 Priest, I don't know how people do it. The comparison to my 43 rogue is night and day.

I think I'm just more suited to the 'mindlessly tap three or four buttons and not really worry about anything else' - mentality.

Which classes are most like this? Besides rogue? I guess hunter? That's what I mained on vanilla though so was after something different.
Priest is super easy to level to be honest - shield yourself up, use smite/MB/MF (depending on spec) and wand to death. And once you get SF at 40 (assuming you're levelling as shadow) it's ridiculously easy.

I'm levelling a hunter at the moment (42) and while I can reliably take on higher targets I don't find the levelling process anywhere near as quick as my priest. Plus of course finding groups for dungeons can be extra painful.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
T2 hat, Benediction, Cauterizing Band, T1 gloves and belt. Just need T2 legs, Vambraces and Shoulders or Boots, and replace my belt with Whipvine Cord and I am set for BWL.

Actually, scratch the T1 3 piece bonus. Just need Vambraces and Whipvine.

We've had 0 T2 priest legs so far.

Two T2 head, zero T2 Pants and zero Cauterizing Band and we've been clearing MC and Onyxia since the third week after release.

While all the warlocks, mages, rogues, hunters have multiple t2 heads each.

Instead we got a third binding last night.

Oct 27, 2018
Priest is super easy to level to be honest - shield yourself up, use smite/MB/MF (depending on spec) and wand to death. And once you get SF at 40 (assuming you're levelling as shadow) it's ridiculously easy.

I'm levelling a hunter at the moment (42) and while I can reliably take on higher targets I don't find the levelling process anywhere near as quick as my priest. Plus of course finding groups for dungeons can be extra painful.
I'll stick with it for a bit then. I was just grinding the harpies in the barrens last night, praying for the savory deviate delight recipe (of course it didn't drop), and it wasn't so bad. It was healing in SFK where I wasn't keen.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
It was healing in SFK where I wasn't keen.
SFK is one of the trickier ones I found when levelling - particularly that bastard last boss. There are also a lot of tight areas in the instance which can make getting a good view of things tough and, if you have a tank and DPS that won't stay still (all of them?), means there's a high risk of LoS issues.

Trying to think what you have available to heal at that level - but generally keep renew on the tank and use your max rank heal as and when it's necessary. Shield the tank in emergencies only (it's both mana inefficient and prevents the tank from generating rage). In long fights you're going to be close to OOM (you can start to consider downranking, but I didn't bother until near enough max level) so don't be afraid to let people know if you need to drink (and make sure you bring water). If you're spending time healing DPS constantly that's going to potentially end up as an issue.

Chain pulling is expected a lot of the time I find when levelling but it can put strain on the healer (more so if they're new to the role) - and in more ways than just mana management.

Personally I will speak out if there's an issue with the group that I don't think I can cope with, but at the same time I think the PUG experience is a fantastic way to learn how to deal with these issues as you level. :)

(I love healing, in case that wasn't obvious, at least in 5 man content. Not feeling it in raids tbh)

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
SFK is one of the trickier ones I found when levelling - particularly that bastard last boss. There are also a lot of tight areas in the instance which can make getting a good view of things tough and, if you have a tank and DPS that won't stay still (all of them?), means there's a high risk of LoS issues.

Trying to think what you have available to heal at that level - but generally keep renew on the tank and use your max rank heal as and when it's necessary. Shield the tank in emergencies only (it's both mana inefficient and prevents the tank from generating rage). In long fights you're going to be close to OOM (you can start to consider downranking, but I didn't bother until near enough max level) so don't be afraid to let people know if you need to drink (and make sure you bring water). If you're spending time healing DPS constantly that's going to potentially end up as an issue.

Chain pulling is expected a lot of the time I find when levelling but it can put strain on the healer (more so if they're new to the role) - and in more ways than just mana management.

Personally I will speak out if there's an issue with the group that I don't think I can cope with, but at the same time I think the PUG experience is a fantastic way to learn how to deal with these issues as you level. :)

(I love healing, in case that wasn't obvious, at least in 5 man content. Not feeling it in raids tbh)

MC is snoresville all round really, except the mixed packs that start after Garr's room. Healing is more demanding the further up the raid scale you go, though 5 mans with a tank in fury or whatever is often more fun, in terms of raw challenge!

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Finally got my Cenarion spaulders last night. Been a long time coming on those. I literally just need wild growth spaulders, aurastone hammer and cauterizing band I'm as juicy as you like for healing gear. It's definitely going to be good rolling into BWL with the whole raid armed to the teeth, should make clearing it a lot more convenient.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Figured out how to solo Angerforge on a mage....just farmed up a HoJ for my shaman. Now farmin one up for a friend. Once I'm done I'm gunna start selling these runs for 10 g a run and like 150g if it drops lol

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Lost track of the thread when it went to hangouts. Still playing raiding and enjoying the game. Pagle-PvE is starting to overflow with alliance though. Refugees from the PvP servers are coming over in droves.

Guild is on autopilot. About to start entertaining alt raids because we clear Ony/MC together in one night easily. There's nothing else to do except Ony when it resets early or something.

We have yet to get a mageblade in 6 runs. 3 staffs so far, I'm happy I got the first staff, as theres's still 10+ people wanting the mageblade.

I got the mageblade for my mage last week. I guess I wasnt paying attention on the first time it dropped but I was surprised at how many people wanted it. I still have to get mine enchanted. Been playing my alts so much Ive been neglecting that.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
is it possible to macro a button to drop bear/cat form and perform an action (like a heal/buff for example) or would that need a double press? Not a huge problem but it would be nice to be able to do it in a single press.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm going for the PvP mage boots, and need something to replace them with in the tier set to get the 3 piece bonus. I got the gloves and bracers, I'm guessing the helm is the best piece to get but I kind of want to tier 2 helmet. I get hit from the PvP boots so I don't need the hit as much from tier 1 helm. Maybe the legs or shoulders?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So happy, I just got my Corehound Tooth finally, it had only dropped one time before at the start of progress.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a freezing band for 500g. I haven't seen it cheaper on my server. It's also a huge upgrade for me, and we haven't seen one ring of sp drop.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Figured out how to solo Angerforge on a mage....just farmed up a HoJ for my shaman. Now farmin one up for a friend. Once I'm done I'm gunna start selling these runs for 10 g a run and like 150g if it drops lol

I still need to get it on my warrior. I usually do arena/anger run, easy for me to tank but sometimes it's hard to find a group. I could use both the SGC and HoJ but HoJ would be huge for me.

Tried to do Onyxia a few times this weekend but the group just didn't work out. It was my first time and the tanks were having a hard time with aggro in phase 3. One time she turned to the left side and just blasted them. She got like 15 kills. Are you just supposed to stick to white damage and low threat in P3 as well?

All-in-all I'm glad to have experienced the Onyxia memes now. I kind of love that DBM uses the soundbites from the wipe video.

"WHELPS LEFT SIDE!"

Oct 28, 2017
I still need to get it on my warrior. I usually do arena/anger run, easy for me to tank but sometimes it's hard to find a group. I could use both the SGC and HoJ but HoJ would be huge for me.

Tried to do Onyxia a few times this weekend but the group just didn't work out. It was my first time and the tanks were having a hard time with aggro in phase 3. One time she turned to the left side and just blasted them. She got like 15 kills. Are you just supposed to stick to white damage and low threat in P3 as well?

All-in-all I'm glad to have experienced the Onyxia memes now. I kind of love that DBM uses the soundbites from the wipe video.

"WHELPS LEFT SIDE!"

Threat is a bit wonky. It's best to hold off on DPS while the tanks try to get aggro. Anyone who pulls aggro should immediately run to the front to not blast the raid.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Threat is a bit wonky. It's best to hold off on DPS while the tanks try to get aggro. Anyone who pulls aggro should immediately run to the front to not blast the raid.

Well, that was definitely not happening. I know she's not tauntable but does she reset threat with certain attacks? I just pretty much stuck to white damage with only a couple abilities thrown in. That fear is a real wildcard though. Needed the priest to fear ward and some tremor totems I think. We had at least an entire group of priests.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, that was definitely not happening. I know she's not tauntable but does she reset threat with certain attacks? I just pretty much stuck to white damage with only a couple abilities thrown in. That fear is a real wildcard though. Needed the priest to fear ward and some tremor totems I think. We had at least an entire group of priests.

If you get fireballed in phase 2 you lose all your threat. The main tank of phase 1 always gets hit first.

Only Dwarf priests can fear ward. Tremor totem will work for horde.

You want to have your off tank trying to hover around #10 or so in threat in phase 1. Then you hope they don't get fireballed.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If you get fireballed in phase 2 you lose all your threat. The main tank of phase 1 always gets hit first.

Only Dwarf priests can fear ward. Tremor totem will work for horde.

You want to have your off tank trying to hover around #10 or so in threat in phase 1. Then you hope they don't get fireballed.

Yeah we have tremor totems. I've played for years and years and didn't know priests had race specific spells.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Phase 3 Ony is all about managing the transition. Once she's locked back on MT with OT nearby it's probably all fine, providing fears are managed.

Oct 27, 2018
There was a good post on Reddit today re: Onyxia strategy:

No there's not a threat reset on the start of phase 3. There's no great way to get aggro on her if the threat goes haywire in phase2. As a healer I usually bring an invul potion just to get her off me if I do draw aggro when she lands but after we figured the fight out that hasn't been much of an issue.

In short, it can be summarized as:

1.There is no threat reset throughout the phases.

2. Her fireballs in phase2 reduce the threat on the person it hits. I don't think it's a full clear but it's quite a reduction.

3. She seems to target people high on her threatlist over people lower on the threatlist

4. Range is also a factor (so some time it might seem like she's hitting people lower on the threatlist but it's mostly because people higher is out of range).

This means most of the time your tank is one of the first people to get hit with a fireball, which reduces the tanks threat drastically. The way we deal with it is have an OT tank her in phase1 and have the MT lay relatively low on the threat meters (~10). MT then spends most of the time in p2 making sure he/she has a full threatbar by attacking welps. When she's on 50% or so the MT can run below her and spam sunders while jumping beneath her to build more threat. Alternatively, if the MT gets hit by a fireball in phase2 they can start going haywire straight away to build the threat back.

After we started doing it this way we rarely have any issues with aggro when she lands. 1 or 2 people MIGHT get targeted but the tank is high enough to get her back quite fast.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Mages should be ice blocking, hunters feign death, etc., fight before she lands for p3. Just don't attack at all until a tank gets aggro and builds up threat. If you do get aggro just run to the tank spot in p1, good chance you die but it doesn't matter really. As for fear, just stand right against the wall in between two cracks and you'll be fine.

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017
Mages should be ice blocking, hunters feign death, etc., fight before she lands for p3. Just don't attack at all until a tank gets aggro and builds up threat. If you do get aggro just run to the tank spot in p1, good chance you die but it doesn't matter really. As for fear, just stand right against the wall in between two cracks and you'll be fine.
I don't think ice block drops aggro.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Mages should definitely not ice block when she lands. They should blink to the tank spot and die. Not iceblock in the raid and get everyone breath'd.

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently the blacksmith who has the Lionheart Helm pattern on our server has been buying up all the others and vendoring them 😂
Had to pay 250g to craft mine like 3 weeks ago, 3 recipes on our side but they all charged the same ~~ it's down to 100g now though.

The first two people on our server price fixed at 300g. Then a hero got it third and regularly spams trade that he'll craft it free of charge.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The first two people on our server price fixed at 300g. Then a hero got it third and regularly spams trade that he'll craft it free of charge.

Don't kid yourself that guy is probably still getting big tips. I craft hide of the wild free of charge, but I just say tips are appreciated. I've had people tip 3G, but have also had them tip 50g, so the average is somewhere in the middle. Classic is a volume business game.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't kid yourself that guy is probably still getting big tips. I craft hide of the wild free of charge, but I just say tips are appreciated. I've had people tip 3G, but have also had them tip 50g, so the average is somewhere in the middle. Classic is a volume business game.

Of course. I tipped him 25g and thought that might be too low.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Of course. I tipped him 25g and thought that might be too low.

It's better than nothing so don't feel bad. People who can make Lionheart or Strongholds are rolling in cash so it's all good. The guy in on our server who makes almost everyone's LHH charges a flat 100 which is super fair. If I had to charge a flat fee for HOTW I'd charge 25, and they are both epic so must be the same.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You either get tremor totems as horde or fear wards as alliance, I don't believe horde priest have fear wards. That's why dwarf priest is the must role race/class combo ally side, cuz fear ward is their racial skill. Ony should be north in p3, nobody should do any dps in the transition from p2 to p3, locks need to drop dots around 41%. Ony is at the north, ranged DPS to the west side of Ony and meele DPS to the east side. Once tank has threat melee can go ham being on the east side. If you pull agro as a warrior you run north and should just throw on a shield and become the new tank...Ony doesn't hit too hard, I've tanked her periodically on my shaman (not intentionally yet but circumstantially). In any case with melee on the east and ranged on the west you mitigate the potential of Ony barfing on the healers and ranged DPS. Even if some in the east side group pull agro, it doesn't really mean anything negative, you just cycle them to the front push heals on them and keep tanking and spanking. If you have a friend who is a mage let me know I can explain how you two can farm HoJ together.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
You either get tremor totems as horde or fear wards as alliance, I don't believe horde priest have fear wards. That's why dwarf priest is the must role race/class combo ally side, cuz fear ward is their racial skill. Ony should be north in p3, nobody should do any dps in the transition from p2 to p3, locks need to drop dots around 41%. Ony is at the north, ranged DPS to the west side of Ony and meele DPS to the east side. Once tank has threat melee can go ham being on the east side. If you pull agro as a warrior you run north and should just throw on a shield and become the new tank...Ony doesn't hit too hard, I've tanked her periodically on my shaman (not intentionally yet but circumstantially). In any case with melee on the east and ranged on the west you mitigate the potential of Ony barfing on the healers and ranged DPS. Even if some in the east side group pull agro, it doesn't really mean anything negative, you just cycle them to the front push heals on them and keep tanking and spanking. If you have a friend who is a mage let me know I can explain how you two can farm HoJ together.

Yeah I have a mage guildie I could guilt. Tell me your secrets.