• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Got gold on all the races on Waking Shores. I love dragon riding. They better keep this feature for future expacs.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I just healed two dungeons as Evoker. First time.

Man... Healing is by far the most stressful thing I can think of, haha. I know it's because I'm new and an anxious person by nature, but holy moly there was a lot of stuff going on that I just had no idea how to handle.
I'm grateful we didn't really have any wipes or anything, but Evoker as a healer is so nuanced, it's definitely harder to learn than I was expecting.

Lots of modifiers to abilities and positioning to worry about with VE and Dream Breath and all that stuff. I feel like I barely had the time or mental focus to do DPS, but again... I'm sure a lot of this can be chalked up to me being new to things. If I do it more I can get a better handle on things which... I'll probably need to, without a crew of people to run things with. I waited like 45 minutes in queue as DPS yesterday, no thank you.

Fwiw I've been a healer my entire WoW career, and I took off most of Shadowlands so I'm a little rusty, but Evoker is by far the most I've struggled to pick up a healer in any MMO. I even clicked with original AST in FFXIV within a few hours, but Evoker is really unique and weird in fun ways, but also difficult ways. I consider myself a damn good healer too, but jeez.

So I don't think it's fully on you being new to healer, Evoker healing is especially difficult and complex.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I'm enjoying Dragonflight so far. I'm almost to 70 and working my way through the 3rd questing zone

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Fwiw I've been a healer my entire WoW career, and I took off most of Shadowlands so I'm a little rusty, but Evoker is by far the most I've struggled to pick up a healer in any MMO. I even clicked with original AST in FFXIV within a few hours, but Evoker is really unique and weird in fun ways, but also difficult ways. I consider myself a damn good healer too, but jeez.

So I don't think it's fully on you being new to healer, Evoker healing is especially difficult and complex.
Yeah, I was getting a better feel for it after a few more dungeons but it's still tricky.

The Tuskarr dungeon is a nightmare! The disease effects or whatever they are are just… and all the fears and stuff. Ugh. I know it's like day 3 so it'll get smoother over as people learn mechanics but still, not a good feeling place to heal, haha.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
First time I'm seeing this bug iirc. Can walk around and still see people doing their thing, but can't interact with anything, or log out. Had to kill the game.
Lasted a good 15 minutes while I was here thinking "it's going to doisconnect me sooner or later", well nah

Edit : oh "character already exists" reminds me of a nightmare a few years back

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I very much am not a fan of just how fast I managed to hit 70 before even really getting into Azurespan. My natural impulse was to fly off to the main hub city and start running dungeons and crafting and I still haven't remotely finished Azurespan.

If I can say this much about Shadowlands, I really enjoyed the campaign pace going from covenant to covenant.

That aside, the more I'm digging into the new crafting changes the more intimated I am by it. It is exciting however so I'm looking forward to getting a handle of it.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If i were blizz I'd just test in PTR enabling every flying mount to the dragonriding system (with missing animations), enable it in every continent and remove legacy flying. And see what happens. If it goes well, then maybe they can justify giving more specific animations to different mount skeletons a couple patches down the line or 11.0

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to be a leather worker to wear the top tier leather working gear later on?
No, with crafting orders you can request a leatherworker to craft something for you even if it's bind on pickup. For public orders (like an auction house, anyone can do it for you) you need to supply all the materials first, for private (friends, specific players and guild only) you can supply as little as you want and as long as the leatherworker has other materials they can make the item for you. You then pick it up from the crafting order menu.

BigTastyBoi

Jul 23, 2018
The Tuskarr dungeon is a nightmare! The disease effects or whatever they are are just… and all the fears and stuff. Ugh. I know it's like day 3 so it'll get smoother over as people learn mechanics but still, not a good feeling place to heal, haha.

Yeah, that was the first dungeon me and my pals ran while we were levelling. Think we wiped 3 times before the first boss just from the disease debuff, our healer was a druid so they had no way to stop it. Shamefully, it wasn't until the 3rd wipe that I remembered my Dark Iron Dwarf racial ability removes disease lol.

Thankfully it should get easier once people learn which mobs to prioritise and what not to pull on top of things (looking at you big fear causing dude). Also apparently once people get 25 Dragon Isles alchemy, they can use the cauldrons that are all over the place to give everyone a remove disease button.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

This is making me really tempted to jump in XD

What's the deal with Evoker healing then? If they're trickier to heal with, are they also easier to simultaneously DPS with to make up for that? Or does it seem more like a balance issue?

I adore healing in MMOs. Typically play resto druid when I dip into WoW, but ESO is my primary MMO these days since it gives you a lot of freedom in how you build your playstyles, and I gravitate towards healer/buffer/DPS hybrids there for really fast dungeon runs. Wondering if Evoker might scratch that itch too.
If i were blizz I'd just test in PTR enabling every flying mount to the dragonriding system (with missing animations), enable it in every continent and remove legacy flying. And see what happens. If it goes well, then maybe they can justify giving more specific animations to different mount skeletons a couple patches down the line or 11.0
I haven't played yet, but isn't one of the reasons the new flight works so well because the dragon Isles are specifically designed for it? Not sure how enjoyable it would be in older zones, like flying across the barrens. Do Evokers still get to use the new flight mechanics in old zones?

It's also worth noting Blizz only copied GW2's griffon flight model for Dragonflight. GW2 also has a completely different (and equally unique) flight model for dragon mounts. And multiple different ground mount movement models. If Blizz really are learning from GW2 then they won't simply slap their new flight model on everything. They'll be more likely to introduce new mechanics/animations for other mounts.

I'm really glad to see so many people asking for an old world revamp like Cata 2.0 too, but I've been expecting that for years now and gave up hope when Shadowlands was announced of it ever happening =( There were so many opportunities, and I feel like BfA going back to that Horde/Alliance focus was the best time, but they opted for new islands yet again. Maybe it will happen. They have a lot of high quality assets for it that could be used (Arathi Highlands got entirely modern assets for a BfA PVP zone, but were never applied to the main zone for example).

Foolish

Jun 23, 2022
The PvP situation for Horde is pretty dire at the moment. Alliance has less active PvPers so they're getting the good "your faction needs more soldiers" bonus honor for queueing for BGs. As a result, they're accumulating Honor way faster and decking themselves out in full PvP gear, which gets boosted to ilvl 411 in BGs.

I spent 6~ hours PvPing nonstop yesterday to grind out my PvP set. In that time I won two BGs. The rest were one-sided steamrolls. For a little context, I, a squishy caster, would have 330k~ HP unbuffed in a battleground. I would load in and take a look at my teammates, and virtually all of them have under 200k. Naturally, the geared Alliance would kill them in roughly three GCDs.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I don't remember the last time I enjoyed questing. DF is off to a great start! Finished all of the dragon glyphs and now just working on my mining and jewelcrafting while doing events

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
Question: it's been a very, very long time since playing WoW and I randomly decided to jump in. Does this game not have level sync for dungeons like FFXIV does?

I queued up as a healer on my holy priest, and after a few minutes it asks me if I want to look outside my current expansion because it's taking a long time. I'm level 30 and get put into a level 60 BFA dungeon. We survived about half of it fine until a HUGE pull where DPS grabbed most of a room, and then the tank berated me and left because I was level 30.

I guess I'm just confused why the game dropped me in there if I wasn't supposed to be there yet! So much to relearn after years oF FFXIV.

Foolish

Jun 23, 2022
Does this game not have level sync for dungeons like FFXIV does?

Level sync for dungeons in WoW is a bit different compared to FFXIV. Instead of it being "Everyone is put down to level 20 for this level 20 dungeon," everyone stays at their current level but the enemies dynamically change their level to match them. So you may group with a level 50 who is fighting level 50 mobs and a level 15 who's fighting level 15s simultaneously. This can result in some trouble when the healer is a low level and doesn't have much of their toolkit.

That said, lower level players are weighted to do a lot more damage and healing than higher level ones while in level synced dungeons, so it kinda evens out.

Also, your queue times took forever because everyone's on their main characters progressing in the newly expansion content.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
If i were blizz I'd just test in PTR enabling every flying mount to the dragonriding system (with missing animations), enable it in every continent and remove legacy flying.

NO. There is no reason to remove an ability that many people like and rely on. I like Dragonriding but it is not a 1 to 1 substitute for traditional flying by any means. And there is no reason to deprive people of an aspect of the game they like. Extend Dragonriding to as much of the world as is possible, but don't ruin other peoples fun.

Cracksun

Sep 2, 2022
Spain
NO. There is no reason to remove an ability that many people like and rely on. I like Dragonriding but it is not a 1 to 1 substitute for traditional flying by any means. And there is no reason to deprive people of an aspect of the game they like. Extend Dragonriding to as much of the world as is possible, but don't ruin other peoples fun.
100% agree with this. We need dragonriding in every zone but not change my other mounts/systems

Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to remove old flight. They just need to never enable it again going forward. This way they can keep the focus on new shit and out with the old shit. Time to move on. No one's fun is being removed by killing off the old flight, that's some weird baby attachment. It's time to embrace the new!

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
100% agree with this. We need dragonriding in every zone but not change my other mounts/systems
This and maybe design areas with it in mind in future expansions. Keep extending the system and make it evergreen. It should be the default mount until proper flight is unlocked in every expansion. It promotes exploration and you still get to "fly". Better than being grounded for months in end.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
No one's fun is being removed by killing off the old flight, that's some weird baby attachment. It's time to embrace the new!

You don't speak for everybody. It's important to remember that everybody has a different World of Warcraft experience. Some people are world firsters. Some people push mythic 20's. Some never enter instance, and like running around in the world. And some don't like having to be "turned on" when flying from place to place. Making flying require interaction and skill gameifies a portion of the game that was valued downtime for some people.

I suspect that dragonriding will be the default from now on. But there is no need to ban normal flying forever in new expansions. Dragonriding already has a speed advantage that will make it the choice of most.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think you guys missed the part of "PTR" in my post ;). Disabling legacy flying just to test it, then later decide what to do and how if dragonriding works fine in older content and/or if people miss legacy flying and learn about what people like and hate about dragonriding and legacy flying.

I think I'd be down for legacy to be removed though, but I'd have to try it and see if I'd actually miss it. Or at the very least give option to use mounts as legacy or dragonriding as a setting or something, that should work.

Last edited:

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
So...Temporal Conflux looks like a fun place for a future raid.

That aside, I guess there is that weird space West of the continent begging for a classic X.1 empty zone with ruins. Other than that, no real clue about what the future holds

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
So guys, I have over 8000 hours in WoW but all i've done in the game back then was arenas and rbgs, I've never read the story, skipped every cutscenes and dialogue, muted music to play my own... I just didn't care about anything but my glad title back then lol.

Anyway, stopped playing the game after legion and i'm now more of a casual player in general, don't have time to pvp all day like I did before. What would be the best way to experience the story nowadays? Can we even experience the story in a way that makes sense anymore?

Please enlighten me! I wanna pass time while I wait for the next FFXIV update, and why not alternate between the two games whenever they release content if I do end up enjoying WoW.
I'm no lore expert, but I think that there is no way to experience all of the story in one playthrough. At least when you want to also gain levels.
There is an NPC named "Chromie" and you can talk to her to select an addon you want to level in. Then you can experience the story of this specific addon until you reach the current level for Dragonflight.
The workaround is, that you can set your character to not gain any XP, so you activate this at lvl 58 and then you can switch to different addons at Chromie. But once you hit lvl 60 (the start of Dragonflight), you have no longer access to timewalking. You either make a new character for each old expansion or stop the XP gain for one char.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
This is making me really tempted to jump in XD

What's the deal with Evoker healing then? If they're trickier to heal with, are they also easier to simultaneously DPS with to make up for that? Or does it seem more like a balance issue?

I adore healing in MMOs. Typically play resto druid when I dip into WoW, but ESO is my primary MMO these days since it gives you a lot of freedom in how you build your playstyles, and I gravitate towards healer/buffer/DPS hybrids there for really fast dungeon runs. Wondering if Evoker might scratch that itch too.

I honestly find it really hard to break down why I find it so difficult. They have a lot of setup and combos. You can apply 'echo' to people which means the next heal you cast will get duplicated onto that person. This allows you to do some really interesting stuff with doubling up a HoT spell on a tank, or how you spread out your healing to the group, but it pulls from a limited resource pool called "essence". I find those pretty hard to manage the economy of so far.

There's also issues with the fact that they don't really have a lot of sustained healing. Your main generic heal is really weak and takes a long time to cast, it's nearly worthless.

I find myself in a lot of situations where i'm not sure of the next step yet. I used my essence, people are still taking damage, my healing breath is already down... so now what? Usually the answer is one of my huge CDs, but they have super short range so i then have to figure out how to reposition myself. Range and positioning is a factor in a way it's never been for other healers, even Paladins aren't this restricted.

So it's a ton of planning and knowing fights, with your ability to pivot and reacting sometimes being very limited if you planned poorly.

It's a fascinating puzzle. If you want to check out how complicated some of their healing stuff gets, look at some of the sections in here: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/preservation-evoker-pve-healing-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

especially around abilities like Temporal Anomaly.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
I am fishing for the first time in over a decade probably. What.

Also, I kind of wish I would of updated my addons before I decided to dive back in, because there are some things I'm sorely missing, but can't be assed to mess with right now while I'm leveling.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
All this being in Dragon Isles is making me want to level my Evoker to 70 before I had intended.

Also, regarding story/narrative: I'm surprised that there are some fairly major groups/factions that are basically totally ignored in the main campaign but are treated as pretty important. Like the Sundered Flame (the Dracthyr faction who said "fuck these dragon assholes" at the end of the starter zone instead of joining the H/A) and the black dragonkin who are hostile/neutral to Wrathion and Sabellian due to having been manipulated by the Twilights Hammer. I'm sure there are more. On the one hand it's cool for the sidequest stuff to have meaningful story content, but on the other you'd think they would at least introduce some of these groups in the main narrative.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there was a global alert when an event was about to start (community feast, dragonbane keep, hunts, ect)

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I absolutely adore the music and just questing / leveling so far. My only issue is I am almost 65 on my mage and I haven't even started the second zone.

Got caught up doing my professions, getting glyphs and doing some side quests.

Not that it matters I will do all the zones to completion anyway.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I am fishing for the first time in over a decade probably. What.

Also, I kind of wish I would of updated my addons before I decided to dive back in, because there are some things I'm sorely missing, but can't be assed to mess with right now while I'm leveling.
You should download the CurseForge application, super duper easy to update and download addons, literally 1 button to press and then /reload while in-game.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What's the deal with actual Rares? I'm level 64 in the first zone and towards the SW end of the map, two rares spawned with a skull icon. I killed both with other people in the world and got a 1/1 pop as if it were a quest, but I don't believe it was?

Oct 25, 2017
You don't speak for everybody. It's important to remember that everybody has a different World of Warcraft experience. Some people are world firsters. Some people push mythic 20's. Some never enter instance, and like running around in the world. And some don't like having to be "turned on" when flying from place to place. Making flying require interaction and skill gameifies a portion of the game that was valued downtime for some people.

I suspect that dragonriding will be the default from now on. But there is no need to ban normal flying forever in new expansions. Dragonriding already has a speed advantage that will make it the choice of most.

I disagree. Ban it from here on out. Time to move on. If people want downtime, then they can just stop playing. Time to embrace new play patterns. Flying should absolutely require interaction and since travel is a big part of world and even dungeon design, it's time to cut the excess and focus on the core.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with actual Rares? I'm level 64 in the first zone and towards the SW end of the map, two rares spawned with a skull icon. I killed both with other people in the world and got a 1/1 pop as if it were a quest, but I don't believe it was?

Those rares are World Quests now, you join them as soon as you approach them.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I get why profession specializations are "permanent" right now, but is it always going to stay that way? I've surely boned myself already, not really understanding what everything does. So, not being able to refund my points is causing a little bit of a headache for me.

wingthor

Sep 18, 2021
Dragonriding feels really great once you get all the glyphs and complete the talent tree. It kind of makes the world seem very small though - idk if it's that or the landmass itself, but this feels like the smallest expansion in terms of area size we've gotten, and SL was already bad on that front.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I'm no lore expert, but I think that there is no way to experience all of the story in one playthrough. At least when you want to also gain levels.
There is an NPC named "Chromie" and you can talk to her to select an addon you want to level in. Then you can experience the story of this specific addon until you reach the current level for Dragonflight.
The workaround is, that you can set your character to not gain any XP, so you activate this at lvl 58 and then you can switch to different addons at Chromie. But once you hit lvl 60 (the start of Dragonflight), you have no longer access to timewalking. You either make a new character for each old expansion or stop the XP gain for one char.

Ah, gotcha! Don't really care about gaining levels really, I just want to experience the whole thing. Didn't know you could lock XP gain, that's good. I'll likely do that then, thanks!!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonriding feels really great once you get all the glyphs and complete the talent tree. It kind of makes the world seem very small though - idk if it's that or the landmass itself, but this feels like the smallest expansion in terms of area size we've gotten, and SL was already bad on that front.

In terms of land mass, The Dragon Isles is the second biggest continent, only behind Northrend.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
ive just been doing whatever quests i come across and im 64 already and havent even finished in the first zone lol.

Same, just hit 65.

Although I don't care about my level if everything is just going to scale. Allows me to care more about my professions and achievements and exploration than just grinding levels.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Is it just my server, or no one talks in General chat anymore? :)
Pretty sure thats just how it is now, I always try to start a convo in general, its tougher these days.
The evenings always more popping tho.
I think its just a Retail thing, but I did notice with this expansion a bigger incentive to group up and chat!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Turns out my main is only level 45 now...is it a long journey to 60 to get to the xpac?