• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
They do not.

Giving High Elves different hairstyles, tones of skin color, and tattoos -- they're all the rage now for new races -- would be sufficient to distinguish them.

Come on, man.
What's all the shiny stuff in their hair then?

Also, why would High Elves have hairstyles, skin colors, and tattoos that Blood Elves would not? There's no story justification, it would just be arbitrary distinctions.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
High Elves had their shot and blew it.
They just weren't as interesting as slightly moosier Tauren.

Syntax

Oct 31, 2017
What's all the shiny stuff in their hair then?

Also, why would High Elves have hairstyles, skin colors, and tattoos that Blood Elves would not? There's no story justification, it would just be arbitrary distinctions.
Why doesn't every race have access to every hairstyle?

Arbitrary distinctions are what Blizzard calls design.

Syntax

Oct 31, 2017
Politics, affiliation, fel magic.

OR, If you're referring to the in-game models, then eye color. Which is why I said they could increase the visual differences between them with new and different customization.

Edit: Culture, too, I suppose. Their lifestyles are different but I'm not familiar enough with it to point out the distinctions here.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Politics, affiliation, fel magic.
Edit: Culture, too, I suppose. Their lifestyles are different but I'm not familiar enough with it to point out the distinctions here.
Are there character creation sliders/selectors for those? ;) On a serious note though, their cultures and customs really aren't any different outside of the overarching cultures of their chosen factions (Alliance/Horde). They were the same people and the same faction until WC3 essentially, with Quel'thalas leaving the Alliance at the end of the second war and a tiny amount of the elves choosing to stay in the Alliance (what we refer to as "High Elves" today). Then WC3 happens, Arthas razes Quel'thalas, and the survivors declare themselves Blood Elves. So High Elves, if they were added to the game, would likely have grown up in Quel'thalas alongside the very same people that now make up the Blood Elves.

OR, If you're referring to the in-game models, then eye color. Which is why I said they could increase the visual differences between them with new and different customization.
So again, the only difference would be eye color unless we just straight made some stuff up to set them apart. That's why I think implementing High Elves would break precedent. Even the most derivative Allied Race (Void Elves) had a lore justification for their unique qualities (Alleria and Locus-Walker). There would be no lore justification for high elves as a whole suddenly having tattoos or extravagantly different hair styles or something.

Syntax

Oct 31, 2017
Are there character creation sliders/selectors for those? ;) On a serious note though, their cultures and customs really aren't any different outside of the overarching cultures of their chosen factions (Alliance/Horde). They were the same people and the same faction until WC3 essentially, with Quel'thalas leaving the Alliance at the end of the second war and a tiny amount of the elves choosing to stay in the Alliance (what we refer to as "High Elves" today). Then WC3 happens, Arthas razes Quel'thalas, and the survivors declare themselves Blood Elves. So High Elves, if they were added to the game, would likely have grown up in Quel'thalas alongside the very same people that now make up the Blood Elves.

So again, the only difference would be eye color unless we just straight made some stuff up to set them apart. That's why I think implementing High Elves would break precedent. Even the most derivative Allied Race (Void Elves) had a lore justification for their unique qualities (Alleria and Locus-Walker). There would be no lore justification for high elves as a whole suddenly having tattoos or extravagantly different hair styles or something.
Okay, I can see where you're coming from on that. And again, not being certain of the extent of those difference, but I believe existing differences in lifestyle would suffice as an explanation / justification for those aesthetic distinctions. If there weren't, then I'd be okay with developing the lore further (ie. making new stuff up) to explain such customization options. (As you jokingly point out.)

However, there is precedent for it among allied races. There's no reason the closer variants (LF Draenei, DI Dwarves, MH Orcs) can't 100% share hairstyles, for example. The Lightforged have been gone a long time but they can't share a stylist?

Edit: To clarify, the justification for the aforementioned races not sharing styles is that they're from different circumstances. But it's a bit silly if you really think about it. Especially in the case of the Orcs where you could be the same Orc (one from the main universe and one from the alternate universe) but you can't have the same hairstyle. Artificially kept separate for the Allied Race line in the sand.

Last edited:

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I can see where you're coming from on that. And again, not being certain of the extent of those difference, but I believe existing differences in lifestyle would suffice as an explanation / justification for those aesthetic distinctions. If there weren't, then I'd be okay with developing the lore further (ie. making new stuff up) to explain such customization options. (As you jokingly point out.)

However, there is precedent for it among allied races. There's no reason the closer variants (LF Draenei, DI Dwarves, MH Orcs) can't 100% share hairstyles, for example. The Lightforged have been gone a long time but they can't share a stylist?
I'm actually fine with them saying fuck it and just making them exact copies of BElves to be honest - they just can't be the exception to the rule. We have Pandas, after all. I just think that if they're gonna open that box, they need to open it all the way. I'm generally in favor of more customization options anyway, and we have numerous lore examples of a character from race X working with the other faction. Give the Horde undead humans and elves. Or just make the factions a story device and not an actual gameplay mechanic that segregates the playerbase. Lorewise, it makes no sense at this point that Alliance and Horde players can't group together, given how often we (as the player characters) have worked in a neutral capacity. You can still have the faction conflicts in the story, and there will still be conflicts among the relatively-neutral player characters so PvP can still be a thing.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

It wouldn't be any different from the model updates Elves got from Vanilla to BC. In-universe, they always looked like that. We just get a clearer view of it after the update.

Sylvanas is another example of this. Right now High Elves have the exact same styles as Blood Elves because they're a fringe race and share a model. Even then, if you look at Silver Covenant NPCs, they tend to have the hairstyles added in Wrath, such as the topknot and slicked back ponytail, which most Blood Elves don't have.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
voFfGv0.jpg

One down, one to go

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Common blood elves never used fel magic, their eyes turned green because rommath and the magistris had to employ fel crystals to compensate the power shortage they had after the sunwell destruction, they needed it for the city to remain stable. Just by proximity their eyes turned green, the common citizens just knew how to syphon mana from living beings such as mana wyrms or M'uru in the case of the blood knights. The sunwell has been restored for 10 years, lore-wise blood elves have lost all of the fel affliction for a while and they are finally depicting it ingame

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

War is rebooting and since they have kin affiliated with the Horde, many high elves have taken to giving themselves more distinguishing physical markings such as arcane tattoos.

Bada Bing, bada boom. Three second lore justification that I came up with while hopped up on cold meds.

Also, I got into the beta and didn't realize the stat squish was going to be this severe. Giving me BC nostalgia with these numbers, blizz.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing wow off and on for a number of years, but only just now hit max level for the first time (Blood Elf Demon Hunter) and I'm not sure what to do next?

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing wow off and on for a number of years, but only just now hit max level for the first time (Blood Elf Demon Hunter) and I'm not sure what to do next?

So there's a LOT to do at max level, much more than you'd ever have had access to before, especially reaching max level this late in an expansion. What to do next really depends on what you're after.

In terms of just Legion stuff, I would start looking here: http://www.wowhead.com/new-110-players-legion-attunements-and-requirements#argus

You'll probably want to get yourself to the Argus zones and gear up to a base competency level through that content. From there you can choose to branch more into PvE (raid/dungeons) or PvP (arenas mainly, but some crazy folks do rated battlegrounds too) depending on what you like. Generally a much larger portion of the population gets into PvE though, which is unparalleled in the genre.

Beside that, there's over a decade worth of old content to explore with your fresh 110 that you probably haven't experienced much of --- running old content (mostly raids/dungeons) for mounts, transmog, achievements.

Also of note currently, is unlocking the currently available allied races --- for the Alliance ones you'll have to get to Argus and do the content there to build up reputation. The Horde allied races will require you to earn rep with Highmountain and Suramar (and in the case of Suramar, complete (or mostly complete) the extensive Suramar questline.)

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017

If you're horde and in the US I can run heroic dungeons with you and feed you all the gear I get I need to do all the legion dungeons to unlock my challenge mode appearance.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Just said no to high elves they said blood elves are technically high elves and they have no current plans to add high elves.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The official forums are reacting to this with the type of thoughtful, calm, reasonable perspective that we have all come to expect.

PigBoss

Oct 27, 2017
The default UI in the beta, is there a way to get my UI like that in legion? Or is it new all together?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I just got done our opening missions. If Horde aren't the bad guys, you're not giving us much meat on that bone. Saurfang going "fuck y'all" is a blow.

Also, tried out warriors. Not feeling it.

Syntax

Oct 31, 2017
Well, looks like we'll have to wait for the next lull in WoW subs for Alliance High Elves. And Ian, we know Blood Elves are (former) High Elves. The reverse is not true.

Also, is anyone underwhelmed with the amount of Allied Race customization options? It feels like I have no choices when making a LF Draenei or MH Orc (aside from skin / clan being the most notable); got some serious same face going on.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Well, looks like we'll have to wait for the next lull in WoW subs for Alliance High Elves. And Ian, we know Blood Elves are (former) High Elves. The reverse is not true.

Also, is anyone underwhelmed with the amount of Allied Race customization options? It feels like I have no choices when making a LF Draenei or MH Orc (aside from skin / clan being the most notable); got some serious same face going on.
Nightborne still don't have the correct faces. I'm willing to give them a pass for now because the existing races were technically released early, and the ones in beta are in beta, but when BfA launches they should all be fully fleshed out.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Allied Races aren't the only races we get in the future. They seem like something that should be peppered throughout expansions rather than a new expansion feature.

I really just want to see Kul Tiras druid forms.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Allied Races aren't the only races we get in the future. They seem like something that should be peppered throughout expansions rather than a new expansion feature.

I really just want to see Kul Tiras druid forms.

Feral and Guardian have already been datamined, only one we haven't seen yet is balance.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of salt from high elf and GCD reactions is enough to supply pretzel-makers for decades.

GCD stuff I can kinda understand, I haven't played alpha/beta so I dunno how it actually feels myself.

But holy shit the high elf stuff. People cannot let that go. I'm not sure how you get so entrenched, and I've had some pretty immovable opinions on game things before.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the release of Void Elves both stymied (here's your Blood Elf lookalikes, Alliance!) and perpetuated (if you can pull THAT out of nowhere lorewise...) the High Elf stuff.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of salt from high elf and GCD reactions is enough to supply pretzel-makers for decades.

GCD stuff I can kinda understand, I haven't played alpha/beta so I dunno how it actually feels myself.

But holy shit the high elf stuff. People cannot let that go. I'm not sure how you get so entrenched, and I've had some pretty immovable opinions on game things before.

The funny thing to me is that people shit all over the initial allied races for just being Tauren with antlers, Draenei with beards, and blueberry night elves... Meanwhile, the race that seems to have the most demand would just be Blood Elves with blue eyes.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I must've missed as I kinda fell asleep was about getting rid of guild master loot.

That to me is definitely a more controversial decision. It really only matters in Mythic, and if highly organized Mythic guilds want to be able to distribute loot via council, I don't see what's wrong with letting them. Making everything personal loot just seems like a design choice intended to prolong engagement/subscriptions and potentially as a band-aid for the split-raiding situation (which is kind of a fiasco to be fair.)

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they never add High Elves, the entire conversation about this actually irritates me at this point.

I like Void Elves but now I regret them being added because I have to listen to this nonsense. "Sorry, our reskinned race with better hair and rad racials isn't to your standards, we didn't know you'd want the exact same thing with a different eye tint instead."

You know what, add them, and make them lore correct, let like 100 peeps make one them turn them off. Lets see some shit burn.

GCD stuff was bound to happen eventually, pulling off the bandaid at the same time as culling the spread of CC, etc, was probably for the best. This stuff has gone overboard post-Wrath and has led to some real nasty power creep that has been hard to keep in check in some areas.

Only thing is they probably should have went in on the rotational fare harder in conjunction with it. Only a few specs really got big changes, but with so much of the backbone being altered they should have done more.

I feel bad posting this opinion, because I was always the one who was like "hey, stop." whenever they redesigned every damn spec each expansion. It was so pointless gutting polished specs that were reiterated on all expansion over and over.

Last edited:

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I must've missed as I kinda fell asleep was about getting rid of guild master loot.

That to me is definitely a more controversial decision. It really only matters in Mythic, and if highly organized Mythic guilds want to be able to distribute loot via council, I don't see what's wrong with letting them. Making everything personal loot just seems like a design choice intended to prolong engagement/subscriptions and potentially as a band-aid for the split-raiding situation (which is kind of a fiasco to be fair.)
Yeah this is one that really does feel like it's designed for nobody. Any loot system other than personal loot is locked behind restrictions to the point where nobody is ever forced to use it. It's entirely opt-in, and you want to be a in a personal loot guild, there are plenty out there.

And I ultimately I don't think it's going to end up doing all that much when it goes to the truly degenerate split raiding (those handful of guilds that do 4+ splits). If Exorsus or whatever can see a similar benefit by stacking armor types instead of stacking classes, they will. Azerite not being able to titanforge and loot trade rules will affect it, too, but if there's any benefit, they're going to do it.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is one that really does feel like it's designed for nobody. Any loot system other than personal loot is locked behind restrictions to the point where nobody is ever forced to use it. It's entirely opt-in, and you want to be a in a personal loot guild, there are plenty out there.

And I ultimately I don't think it's going to end up doing all that much when it goes to the truly degenerate split raiding (those handful of guilds that do 4+ splits). If Exorsus or whatever can see a similar benefit by stacking armor types instead of stacking classes, they will. Azerite not being able to titanforge and loot trade rules will affect it, too, but if there's any benefit, they're going to do it.

All Druid raids not just a meme anymore POGGERS

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the sentiments on the loot system. I advocated for personal loot for PUGs and the like, the system works good for those situations but for guild runs? Giving up the flexibility sucks. I don't see the need to abolish it completely.

High Elves getting BTFO was the highlight of my day.

I just don't understand why people want it so bad, just make a Void Elf. They look good, they have top tier racials for casters also.

Why do people want a blue eyed Blood Elf so badly? Blood Elves are also getting gold eyes as an option in the expansion, so there's a thing. As far as I am concerned they could find a way to get the High Elves to reunite with the Blood Elves and just give Blood Elves a blue eye option as well.

I guess it's just one of those segments of the playerbase. I bring this up on occasion but back when Wrath hit there were a few of the Draenei Paladin players who were losing their minds over being given a class Elekk instead of the old charger. I mean these people were in full on hysteria, talking about it giving them depression, making them not want to eat, etc. It is disturbing to read some of the diatribes.

It is these people why we can never get shit updated I feel like, Blizzard lifts a finger to do anything and you have a 50 page forum thread complaining about it. Heck, I saw those when they updated some of the (dramatically better) caster animations as well, begging for them to be reverted.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why people want it so bad, just make a Void Elf. They look good, they have top tier racials for casters also.

I don't care about High Elves and wouldn't play them. But it isn't that hard to the understand.

They want to play that model* on Alliance.

Like that is literally it. No need to complicate it.

*edit: Just to be clear: the textures, too.

Last edited:

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, just checked the launcher and have beta access, apparently. What's the available content like at this point? (Haven't really been following alpha releases super closely)

Tempted to hop in and dink around. Have basically only been playing to do gold missions on live, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they're finally removing strand of the ancients.
I guess someone at blizz opened the stats page for the BG blacklist and saw that 99% of people had SotA on there. I even joked with my friends a few months back that I didn't need to blacklist SotA because everyone else did it for me. And honestly I think the last time I randomed into SotA was maybe october? I am fairly sure it was before halloween lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.