• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this also a Classic-friendly discussion thread, or do we have a different place for that?
There are just random threads when news hits, I'm sure most of us are totally fine talking about it here (though you are more likely to get the perspective in this thread that modern wow is largely better, I would imagine). I love talking about all forms of wow personally.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Looking to resub soon in anticipation of BfA. Unlocked the Horde allied races before I quit this past winter, but still need to finish the Alliance grinds.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I am grinding Army of Light for Lightforged Draenei. Almost done with Honored...

Make sure you do the weekly quests from the Turalyon and Illidan on Argus. Those give 1k rep each for both Army of the Light and Argussian Reach. And world quests of course. Also, invasion points sometimes give rep tokens, as well as the mission table ones that give a total of 1000 rep if you can 200% them.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
*gets in beta

*beta servers die

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, but I don't see blizzard adding 10 new specs in one expansion. Hell, in Legion they essentially only added 2.

I dont see that either. It IS a lot of work. But it would be an easier way to cover missing combinations like cloth/ranged tank, mail tank, ranged plate.

But at this point they should remove mail. DH shouldve been mail or they should have cut it out.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My favorite Beta was probably Cataclysm.

probably because it was the only beta I got into

lol

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Let's brainstorm new specs for shits and giggles:

Tank Warlock
Holy DPS caster Paladin, basically the Light version of an ele shaman
Tank Shaman (it was sort of a thing back in the day anyway!)
Healer mage (essentially using time magic to undo wounds)
Ranged DPS rogue, either using existing hunter weapons or with a revamp to thrown weapons making them a real/primary weapon type
Caster DPS necromancer spec for Death Knight
Staff melee priest spec (the original discipline concept, the european style abbot monk)
Diablo 3-style ranged demon hunter spec for WoW Demon Hunters
Hunter can get something specifically dark ranger themed or shadow hunter themed. Either way it's a pet-less bow spec with a lot of magical abilities.
Monk I could also see getting a bow spec, plenty of fantasy/real world stuff to pull from for that and still be thematically different from hunters.

Warrior I'm kind of stumped on. I wouldn't want to add another melee spec but nothing else really makes sense. "Blademaster" sounds cool but all the blademaster abilities are pretty much already part of the overall warrior kit.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Let's brainstorm new specs for shits and giggles:

Tank Warlock
Holy DPS caster Paladin, basically the Light version of an ele shaman
Tank Shaman (it was sort of a thing back in the day anyway!)
Ranged DPS rogue, either using existing hunter weapons or with a revamp to thrown weapons making them a real/primary weapon type
Caster DPS necromancer spec for Death Knight
Staff melee priest spec (the original discipline concept, the european style abbot monk)
Diablo 3-style ranged demon hunter spec for WoW Demon Hunters
Hunter can get something specifically dark ranger themed or shadow hunter themed. Either way it's a pet-less bow spec with a lot of magical abilities.
Monk I could also see getting a bow spec, plenty of fantasy/real world stuff to pull from for that and still be thematically different from hunters.

Warrior I'm kind of stumped on. I wouldn't want to add another melee spec but nothing else really makes sense. "Blademaster" sounds cool but all the blademaster abilities are pretty much already part of the overall warrior kit.

I like all of these, tbh. For warrior I'd love to see some sort of spellblade like Aluriel but I think they'd really have to dance around making it too close to paladins or shaman but she seemed so cool in her fighting style. I guess this hypothetical spec could work for mages as well but yeah warriors are kinda tough for me. Maybe that's where I could throw in my desired dragoon thing if hunters didn't get it.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I was actually thinking about this kind of thing the other night, and how you could base the spec around HoTs, and then have spells that speed them up or slow them down, and have each speed of HoT be its own discrete spell. You'd basically end up with being able to get 3 HoTs - slow, normal, and fast - rolling on a target. Have a "time singularity" heal that consumes it all instantly, or consolidates it into a new HoT. It's in some ways druid-ish, but could have some other neat traits to distinguish it.

Give the mage 3 stances that modify GCD (fast, normal, slow) and carry pros/cons with each one.
Have talents that modify the effects of Lust/Hero/TW, things like 50% duration, but 66% reduction of Exhaustion.
Have a mastery that drops a short-duration buff on healed targets that speeds up the tick-rate of all HoTs - even other healers'.

Lots of neat things you can do with play speed when you start talking about a time-focused mage.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Beta's up...and it's down again.

Still not understanding the Honor changes. I keep copying over new account data with higher honor level characters, but it stays at 1.5 Honor on Beta. I think it's averaging, but it's not changing.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love it. The scene with the tone of the music sets a pretty ominous mood imo.

Resto Druid or Shaman? I haven't read up on druids yet, but I read something about cloudburst totems being the main part of Shaman or something and didn't sound the greatest.
Shaman. I've been reading up and the changes fit my style pretty well, though I'll miss a few things. It doesn't seem totally gimped like the DPS specs.

Of course I could just fire up the beta and try it but I still like to preserve all the freshness for launch day lol.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ret Pali seems about the same as its now on live. New mastery but thats about it. Much like BM I do like the simplicity of the spec, but im an outlier.

The raptor that princess Talanji rides is the CE bonus mount right?

edit: also allied races just being available in the beta kinda makes me think they will just unlock them when BFA launches. It makes no sense to keep them locked behind old content noone wants to do. So I can see a scenario where every expansion, they unlock the old expansion's allied races for new / returning players to have them.

Makes sense with the boosts too.

Last edited:

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's because I'm so accustomed to a gate or portal or entrance that it being different is just not doing it for me. I'm sure it'll be fine. Wrath and Cata didn't have those. It'll just take time to grow on me.
There's a gate, it's hidden behind the account/password boxes. Lord of the Arena is gonna be sad the gates are not open.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it won't happen, but since BfA is the (not so) secret Old God big bad, it would be cool if there were small changes to the login screen throughout the patch cycle, so that by 8.2/8.3 there's obvious old god/void fuckery visible. Like tentacles slowly rising up over the walls or something.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Survival seems really neat, more of a hybrid of ranged and mellee now, seems to flow really nicely. If Demo wasnt so good in BFA; I would probably play my hunter again like in Legion.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Survival seems really neat, more of a hybrid of ranged and mellee now, seems to flow really nicely. If Demo wasnt so good in BFA; I would probably play my hunter again like in Legion.

I'm an alt fiend at the best of times, but lock and hunter are always two of my staples. I'm also liking how survival plays in BfA, and the addition of lots of cool dinosaur-looking pets is making my need to catch em all intensify.

Just look at this guy

komododragon_teal.jpg

He wants to be my friend I can tell already

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
My top three are narrowed down to Paladin, Demo Lock, and Hunter. I like Locks in general and Survival Hunters are intriguing to me, but I don't know if I can do a whole expac with DPS queues. :/

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm an alt fiend at the best of times, but lock and hunter are always two of my staples. I'm also liking how survival plays in BfA, and the addition of lots of cool dinosaur-looking pets is making my need to catch em all intensify.

Just look at this guy

komododragon_teal.jpg

He wants to be my friend I can tell already

He DOES look super huggable...

PS what's happening to Hati? Do Beast Masters still get dual pets?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
My top three are narrowed down to Paladin, Demo Lock, and Hunter. I like Locks in general and Survival Hunters are intriguing to me, but I don't know if I can do a whole expac with DPS queues. :/
Yeah i'm thinking about Elemental,Prot Pala or Guardian druid as main for BFA.

Probably gonna be one of the tanks since i can't be arsed to wait in a queue all the time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
im a dumb dumb, because I just noticed (using them in the beta) that Void Elves are just Blood Elves recolored, and Nightborne are just Night Elves recolored (ok theres some tiny model changes), but one is a tall elf, and the other is a smaller elf.

I mostly noticed when I saw how small Void Elves were, it was a "ooooh I see what you did there Blizz" moment. Kinda not that fussed about unlocking them now, thicc Kul tiran are much more appealing.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, void elves are literally blood elves. They just got a bit too much of that void juice up in their veins.
Playable nightborne basically being night elves is a little whack though, since the NPC versions had greater differences.

Oct 25, 2017
Mythic Argus hp nerfed again by 3% and Fears/Rages do 15% less damage.

Wont stop us from wiping from cones and blights but I guess we can push faster

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Playable nightborne basically being night elves is a little whack though, since the NPC versions had greater differences.

indeed.

man Demo feels amazing, if they somehow fuck it up before BFA goes live it will be the biggest bummer ever. The flow is amazing, it looks great fantasty wise, damage seems nice (apparently it was nerfed recently). This is what ive been rolling with for now while leveling and fucking around:

43qL3bW.png

15 - Dreadlash just for the small dps bump, but mostly because I dont like the other two talents.Demonic Strenght seems like a way long cd for just a extra slash from your felguard, and bilescourge bombers I just dont like, 2 shards for not alot of dmg and its awkward to use in a rotation.

30 - Doom is mostly useless for world content since most stuff dies under 30secs anyway. I thought I would like Demonic Calling at first, but then when I used it, the Stalkers were on cd every time it procced, so you end up wasting alot of procs, doesnt seem worth it. Especially when Power Siphon is so good and sinergizes with other talents like Inner Demons or Sacrificed Souls. You basically trade 2 imps for 4 shards (2 shards per demonbolt cast), so you can still get your imps back (3 in fact with a full HoG) so you get more imps, more shards than you trade with, and you sneak in some burst dps from demonbolts. Really like this one.

45 - Demon Skin because im lazy in world content and dont want more buttons.

60 - So I'm split between Soul Strike and Summon Vilefiend. Fantasy wise, its Vilefiend no questions asked, it looks rgeat, is another pet out there for the visuals. But I actually really like Soul Strike, short cd, generates a shard so its even easier to have full shards for constant HoG and Dreadstalkers. Its just a shame that visually you basically press a button and dont see anything happen, since its a felguard ability. I actually just noticed it also sinergizes with Nether Portal which im not using atm hmm.

75 - Circle because, well whatever it doesnt matter for world content tbh.

90 - Inner Demons all the way. More imps and random demons procs for the fantasy side, but also it means you have imps ready for power siphon right at the start of a fight. soul Conduit is a boring passive proc, and Felguard Grimoire is a long cd.

100 - Sacrificed Souls for the dps boost only because I feel that Nether Portal is super awkward to use. It costs 3 shards it self, so most of the time you have to build your shards back up so youre already losing some seconds there. Granted like I said I haevnt used it in conjuction with Soul Strike so that helps, and I love the idea of the spell fantasy wise. Also its a 3min cd and I hate long cooldowns :/

anyway im super happy with the spec and legit excited to play it for realsies. Oh and xp gains seems super high, im almost 111 and I barely started Zandalar. I had read you can easily cap with just 2 zones (or even less) and it seems true, I really dont like that :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.