• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rawr its ry

Oct 27, 2017
For those with multiple max lol alts...how do you stick with just a main and 1 alt??? I have 6 max levels and I get so indecisive over what to make my actual alt. Its nice to have them for gold making with order resources but when it comes to wq's I get ocd and try to do all of em lol

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
For those with multiple max lol alts...how do you stick with just a main and 1 alt??? I have 6 max levels and I get so indecisive over what to make my actual alt. Its nice to have them for gold making with order resources but when it comes to wq's I get ocd and try to do all of em lol
I realized at a certain point (mainly being exalted with everyone on my main) that not doing emissaries every day wasn't actually losing me much.

As far as deciding what to play, that's entirely up to what you like doing. My main goal before Legion ends is to get the Mage Tower and +15 appearances for every class/spec. So that's all I've been focusing on within reason.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017

I don't stick to one or two characters, but the key here is to stop caring about WQs and emmisaries. I tried to keep up with 3 or 4, then that dropped to two and now I'm at none. They were fun for a while but they wore out their welcome with me. More times for things I actually enjoy: M+, looking at the transmog menu, looking for old items I never got etc.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So, something I spotted buried in the 'this month in WoW' blue post:

WoW's 13th Anniversary - [November 16–30]

We're bringing back some familiar foes–with some slightly updated abilities–to Azeroth too

I think that's new? I don't recall hearing it before. Maybe more info at Blizzcon? Return of some Vanilla world bosses, perhaps? Kazzak yet again?

Anyone want me to predict their lottery numbers?

Oct 25, 2017
So here's my problem - I've played Horde basically since release on Illidan, since my friends all went there. I like Horde a lot, but the Alliance zones always feel more interesting to me. I REALLY want to roll as Alliance for a while, and spend some time actually leveling those characters. Should I wait around until 7.3.5 for that? Or just work on some toons now? My alliance characters are on Stormrage - anyone have a guild there or somewhere else that I could hop in on?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a guild I can join on Silvermoon EU? It's a lonely experience without a guild :(

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
So here's my problem - I've played Horde basically since release on Illidan, since my friends all went there. I like Horde a lot, but the Alliance zones always feel more interesting to me. I REALLY want to roll as Alliance for a while, and spend some time actually leveling those characters. Should I wait around until 7.3.5 for that? Or just work on some toons now? My alliance characters are on Stormrage - anyone have a guild there or somewhere else that I could hop in on?

I'd honestly wait for the patch, especially considering with how leveling works now, you'll be hopping zones so quickly that you don't even really get to experience them.

Apparently it's supposed to come out around mid December if you can wait that long.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly wait for the patch, especially considering with how leveling works now, you'll be hopping zones so quickly that you don't even really get to experience them.

Apparently it's supposed to come out around mid December if you can wait that long.

I mean there's no reason for me NOT to wait. I have no guild waiting for me or anything. All my 110s are Horde and 875-910 ilvl now. Thanks for the advice.

Vesves

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I just came back and started messing around with a new fire mage. I have been away for a couple years but really needed to scratch the itch again. I'm a mess but I'm enjoying myself. Took me a few hours just to get my add-ons set up again back to how I remembered. I kind of hate my server (Gnomeregan) but it's fine for now.

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I finally gave in and made a Pandaren Monk. I've been curious as to what Brewmaster tanking was like, and as of level 54, I can safely say it's the most interesting tanking spec I've tried. Only gripe I have is that I feel so squishy. I try so hard to keep up with the orbs spawning, Expel Harm, and making good use of Purifying and Ironskin Brew, but it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

Any veteran Brewmasters here to help out a noob in need?

Cyrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. This guy is completely unhinged. Blizzard started to shut down his streaming on YouTube shortly after hordes of his mindless followers invaded the official forums.

Nov 1, 2017
Since the expansion got revealed I've noted people in game seem to be a bit more blood thirsty. Guilds certainly are recruiting under the theme of war. Groups looking for people to kill the leaders of the other faction etc.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
role playing is for dumb nerds but I do have a vol'jin body pillow that I kiss before bed time every night

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Goddammit I resisted every pull to resub, but I can't resist the 13th Anniversary.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the last patch before TBC already introduced many new abilities, though. I doubt that is what people want.
It will probably be a point around the time Naxx hit.

gimme those rolling ignites back, baby

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't most private vanilla servers at 1.12? I can't imagine anyone would want a classic server that didn't have all classic content available. What would be the point if you couldn't do AQ/Naxx etc.

also

• Demonology Warlock was not a fully successful experiment. The master of demon fantasy is great, but the execution wasn't right.
  • Demonology, Survival, and other specs will probably see more significant changes.
Thank god they know that they have to fix Demonology for 8.0

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Short of time traveling to the past, I don't believe there's any way Blizzard can satisfy the Vanilla fan base. They have three basic options, none perfect:

1) Recreate the literal OG game. It was punishing, grindy as hell, and ultimately not super fun to me. Purists will love it. It won't drive a lot of long term subs. Want to play Alliance shaman or Horde paladin? Fuck you.
2) Compromise and release a version including tons of QOL updates. Who decides what makes the cut? Any compromise will piss off the purists, and the people accustomed to the modern game will debate what should or shouldn't make the cut.
3) Release the classic game with all the modern QOL updates. Basically, only content gating stuff. Sounds like a programming nightmare and many of the changes over the years are either literally or structurally incompatible with the game.

Admittedly, the classic game isn't for me at all. I'm not even remotely the target audience. I'm not sure Blizzard even knows who the target audience is...I'm not sure the target audience even knows if they're part of the group. But I do want the game to succeed for those who are interested in it. At the same time, I think they were absolutely correct when they stated that people think they want it but they don't want it. Just look at the Reddit threads to see how divergent the visions are among the fan base.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah but vanilla had like 12 content patches. Probably like two expansions worth of content and changes throughout what people call Vanilla.
Last patch before TBC then maybe.
If they start with 1.12 people will have many things they didn't have at release. Reworked talents alone will make leveling and endgame easier. Better items being able to drop make endgame easier. And then we get to stuff like Dungeon and Raid Balancing. Do we go with what we had in 1.12? We would never see Alterac Valley at it's true glory, because in 1.12 that had already passed.

I really hope we either get a 1.0 and it progresses through or a 1.13 with a "best of" of all the changes throughout the patches, cherry picked for what worked best.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
If the classic server has an optional graphics toggle for the modern character models I'd probably be more inclined to play, and since they seem to have to re-build a lot of it and that option currently exists I wouldn't be too surprised to see it. Toss in some reasonable but not extreme spec balancing to at least get every spec on a reasonable (but not totally equal obviously) playing field and I'd actually give it a real go.

Thinking about it though, a big problem with spec balancing is how old tier sets were only designed for a single role. Even if enhance did decent raid dps, the shaman sets are all for healing. And I don't think they should actually do any itemization changes.

Oct 25, 2017
there will be a significant chunk of people complaining that it isnt how it was (or how they think they remember it) even if what they are clinging to are bad mechanics, poorly implemented mechanics or unfinished ones. I think they should just not try to please those people because they are impossible.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I posted like a week ago that I was back in and was confused by trying to return to a 110. Someone gave me a good amount of advice but I didn't really see any breadcrumb questing to get to what he was talking about so I decided to just play an alt and save the 110s for BfA.

When my new character(my warlock) hits 110, should I just continue the regular progression through surumar and all that shit or is the broken shore and all that the new block of content to go hit, and surumar is kind of obsolete at this time?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Argus is the main 110 zone at the moment. Suramar and broken shore can be largely ignored for the most part, but I would definitely recommend doing the actual broken shore questline as it gets you a class hall follower and a good chunk of artifact power, as well as class-specific flying mounts.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
When my new character(my warlock) hits 110, should I just continue the regular progression through surumar and all that shit or is the broken shore and all that the new block of content to go hit, and surumar is kind of obsolete at this time?

Suramar is totally obsolete at 110. It's also the best story and zone in Legion, so you need to decide what is more important. Maybe go hit Argus and get some quick and easy gear and go back to blow through Suramar if you want.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
the last patch before TBC already introduced many new abilities, though. I doubt that is what people want.

They introduced the TBC stuff in the prepatch. Generally people don't mean that when they speak of the last patch.

That aside, the last patch did have cross realm BGs which will make some people angry if they put it in.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Suramar is totally obsolete at 110. It's also the best story and zone in Legion, so you need to decide what is more important. Maybe go hit Argus and get some quick and easy gear and go back to blow through Suramar if you want.

nah I did surumar on my shaman (and druid) when legion first hit, so I'm good.

thanks for the suggestions guys

Oct 25, 2017

Suramar's storyline is one of the best sources of AP early on. It basically gets you to concordance 15 without much of a hassle.

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
Short of time traveling to the past, I don't believe there's any way Blizzard can satisfy the Vanilla fan base. They have three basic options, none perfect:

1) Recreate the literal OG game. It was punishing, grindy as hell, and ultimately not super fun to me. Purists will love it. It won't drive a lot of long term subs. Want to play Alliance shaman or Horde paladin? Fuck you.
2) Compromise and release a version including tons of QOL updates. Who decides what makes the cut? Any compromise will piss off the purists, and the people accustomed to the modern game will debate what should or shouldn't make the cut.
3) Release the classic game with all the modern QOL updates. Basically, only content gating stuff. Sounds like a programming nightmare and many of the changes over the years are either literally or structurally incompatible with the game.

Admittedly, the classic game isn't for me at all. I'm not even remotely the target audience. I'm not sure Blizzard even knows who the target audience is...I'm not sure the target audience even knows if they're part of the group. But I do want the game to succeed for those who are interested in it. At the same time, I think they were absolutely correct when they stated that people think they want it but they don't want it. Just look at the Reddit threads to see how divergent the visions are among the fan base.

If they want to please the vanilla fanbase, they will do #1. If they want to please the Legion fanbase (who are already pleased by the main game anyway), they will do #2 or #3.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's really self-defeating and asinine that the most vocal proponents of the vanilla/classic servers are like legitimately offended by the idea that a classic server could benefit from some minor tweaks. It's impossible to reason with these people because the confirmation bias is so high and they just dismiss any dissenting opinion as someone who never really played vanilla anyway.

Like, your beloved memories of vanilla will somehow be ruined if ret paladins and moonkins are a bit more viable in raids? The whole vanilla experience is ruined if flight paths are connected? Give me a break.

A lot of those folks are legitimately delusional though. There are folks who honestly believe the classic server population will dwarf current WoW when it launches. That's some strong kool-aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.