• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to please the vanilla fanbase, they will do #1. If they want to please the Legion fanbase (who are already pleased by the main game anyway), they will do #2 or #3.

There's a disconnect here though, and it's mainly that a lot of the people who want Option 1 differ wildly on what Option 1 actually is. Not that they secretly want group finder and badges, but either stuff they take for granted with private servers or nitty gritty differences that were there over the course of vanilla, too. And everything is seemingly a dealbreaker to someone.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
They'll just release Classic as F2P with microtransactions to bring you QoL and exp boosts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Perfect time to rework it for consoles btw

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so they're really just going to do 1 set per armor class. So 4 "tier" sets per raid. Thats super lame. Explanation didn't even make sense since they've done everything he talked about while still having class exclusive sets in the past. MoP was especially good about having raid themed armor and unique pvp sets on top of that.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Did they confirm that? They also said "more variety/options than ever before" which would lend one to believe there would be more than one appearance per armor type in a given raid.

I took "There will be one appearance per armor type per zone, but more variety across zones." To be referring to open-world zones (IE quest rewards) not raids.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Blizzard put literally any effort into Classic servers when everyone who is reasonable realizes that classic was horrible without modern sensibilities/conveniences and will have very few people actually playing it - hell most of those people will just be dicking around while actually playing B4A.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's not true, the private server seen shows there is some market for these. I'm sure it won't be lightning up the charts, but it appeals to enough people to be worth an effort apparently.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of those folks are legitimately delusional though. There are folks who honestly believe the classic server population will dwarf current WoW when it launches. That's some strong kool-aid.

I won't make any bets on it, but I highly doubt there's going be to a ton of demand for classic after a month or so. If they are charging an additional fee on top of the WoW subscription, even less so. If it's a separate $10 a month setup, I think you'll see a good deal of initial interest. Then people will realize how painful the initial incarnation is thirteen years later.

Well that's not true, the private server seen shows there is some market for these. I'm sure it won't be lightning up the charts, but it appeals to enough people to be worth an effort apparently.

The private servers show that people will play WoW for free, when able. Slap a subscription fee on them and see how populated they are.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in pure vanilla classic. But Classic that uses several improvements like better graphics, UI upgrades, bug fixes, stuff like that? Maybe, i might at least try it.
But if pure purists will have their way... i doubt that will be an option.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If they improve on a bunch of things then it's not Classic anymore and that is what people seem to want.

Personally my favorite ERA is wotlk, would love that.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Did they confirm that? They also said "more variety/options than ever before" which would lend one to believe there would be more than one appearance per armor type in a given raid.

I took "There will be one appearance per armor type per zone, but more variety across zones." To be referring to open-world zones (IE quest rewards) not raids.

Lore asked him "Does that mean there'll be 1 cloth, 1 mail, 1 leather, 1 plate?" and he said "Yes, there'll be 1 per zone". The impression I got out of the variety statement is that there'll be a lot less recoloring relative to Legion and since the armor is not class based you'll get something very different than what we're use to vs "The 22nd take on priest fantasy".

That is an interpretation since he wasnt totally clear, so I could be wrong... I hope I'm wrong.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Uh.....

• For years, the team has spent all of the art time on making sets for classes, then recolors for the rest of the loot table.
  • When you go into the new raid, the new sets will fill like they fit with the Troll, Titan, Corrupted vibe.
  • If you want that iconic Paladin look, there are lots of existing sets out there to transmog to.
  • The team is adding art variety to the world in this expansion. There will be more options than ever before, rather than a 22nd take on the Priest fantasy.
  • What would an Old God themed Paladin set even look like?
  • The team will get back to class based art eventually, but for BfA variety is being added.

While I can understand the frustration of having to design one-off armors that only fit one class ( and to be honest, there's been highs and lows for every single class), homogenizing people to use the exact same armor sucks from an identity perspective.

And 'transmog will fix it' is a band aid patch, at best. I really, REALLY hope this is just a BfA thing

Warforging and Titanforging will continue in BfA, but probably a little less often.
A hard cap on Titanforging that kept it from going into the Mythic item level space would be very restrictive.

....And we're still fucked for item progression, woo.

The plan is to go back to weapon drops. Compared to the old days, there are so many more sources of loot, so it isn't as hard as it used to be to get a weapon.

Lol, the artifact system really didn't work out, huh.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Transmog will fix it is actually a valid argument though.

A lot of people don't use the current armor models even if they're newly acquired - let's not pretend they knock it out of the park with every tier set look. If they're still introducing the same number and same quality of armor sets overall, I think that's acceptable.

There are also more sources of loot now, so we could potentially see more sets based off dungeon themes.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should make Eredar neutral allied race.
I mean, i figure the Burning Legion is nearly done, decapitated at least for now. So there could be Eredar defectors who then opt to join the world that bested them, on the account of them obviously being more powerful and hence worth fighting with in search for more power.
Neutral, with faction choice like Pandaren, because they really don't give a shit about factions really.

The best part here is that Eredar have complete models and animations already (based on the new Draenei models). They already fulfill some of the requirements for allied races.

And i really, really want my Eredar Warlock...

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
If the classic server has an optional graphics toggle for the modern character models I'd probably be more inclined to play, and since they seem to have to re-build a lot of it and that option currently exists I wouldn't be too surprised to see it. Toss in some reasonable but not extreme spec balancing to at least get every spec on a reasonable (but not totally equal obviously) playing field and I'd actually give it a real go.

Thinking about it though, a big problem with spec balancing is how old tier sets were only designed for a single role. Even if enhance did decent raid dps, the shaman sets are all for healing. And I don't think they should actually do any itemization changes.
Optional toggle for graphics is something that i would be okay with. The draw distance is a completely different story. When you are able to be in Elwynn Forest and can view Stormwind, Blackrock Mountain, the spire in Twilight Highlands, and the grove in Duskwood all without taking a step, that makes the world feel small.

If Blizzard doesnt keep things the same they might as well not even bother. i know it sounds counter intuitive but adding any quality of life upgrades to Classic changes the game in a way that doesnt befit the experience. Someone said vanilla Wow was like a survival game and they are dead on. The experience is completely exhilarating because of it.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Wow launched with MC and Onyxia, that's all you need so don't need beyond 1.0

I remember it launched without mara which is more points in 1.0 favor. Maraudon fucking sucks

It would be neat if classic is whatever they decide on, then a few years later they do a BC classic. Don't transition wow classic (leave it as is) to it but allow transfers, then do the same with wrath and shit until every expansion is in its own bubble.

Would be a nightmare and is why I'm not in charge of anything but hey

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Like, your beloved memories of vanilla will somehow be ruined if ret paladins and moonkins are a bit more viable in raids? The whole vanilla experience is ruined if flight paths are connected? Give me a break.
Oh man, I forgot about this.

Flight paths were so cool back then. You could see the people questing below you! A scenic aerial taxi ride! They got real tedious after the 400th time, though.

Oct 25, 2017
If Blizzard doesnt keep things the same they might as well not even bother. i know it sounds counter intuitive but adding any quality of life upgrades to Classic changes the game in a way that doesnt befit the experience. Someone said vanilla Wow was like a survival game and they are dead on. The experience is completely exhilarating because of it.

Honestly there is only ONE change that if you ask me NEEDS to be put into classic, the modern macro API needs to be put into classic servers.
Let me show you what I mean.
This is a modern mouse over macro.

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover] spellname

For a vanilla era mouse over macros you have a few options.
Option one is "easier" on when building the macro but it requires set up.

Build LUA mouse over script which looks something like (alternatively you can find a mod that has this functionality built in but it's ridiculous to need a mod to be able to make macros which I consider to be standard ideas)
function SmartCastFriend(spell)
local haveTarget = UnitExists("target")
local target = "player"

local f = GetMouseFocus()

if (UnitExists("target") and UnitReaction("target", "player") >= 4) then
target = "target"
elseif (f.unit and UnitReaction(f.unit, "player") >= 4) then
target = f.unit
elseif (UnitExists("mouseover") and UnitReaction("mouseover", "player") >= 4) then
target = "mouseover"
end

if (UnitIsUnit(target, "target")) then
CastSpellByName(spell)
else
TargetUnit(target)
CastSpellByName(spell)
if (haveTarget) then
TargetLastTarget()
else
ClearTarget()
end
end
end

Then make sure it's loaded as an addon and make a macro called

/script if nil then CastSpellByName("Spell(Rank N)") end
/run SmartCastFriend("Spell(Rank N)")

Option 2 is this mess
/run c=CastSpellByName s="Spell(Rank N)" if UnitExists("mouseover") then TargetUnit("mouseover") c(s) TargetLastTarget() else c(s) end

Option 3 is this:
/run if UnitExists("mouseover") then TargetUnit("mouseover") CastSpellByName("Spell(Rank N)") TargetLastTarget() else CastSpellByName("Spell(Rank N)") end

None of those 3 options offers the basic functionality of having the correct icon auto displayed as well as a tooltip.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-posting from the Canadian Deals thread - good news!:

---

Also, Blizzard went live today with Canadian pricing in games. At least, in Hearthstone. Pleasantly surprised to see the CDN pricing lower than the US exchange would have been. For example, Hearthstone heroes are $9.99 US in the store. That would be $12.75 CDN today. The in-game Hearthstone store on PC shows a hero costing $12.49 CDN. Hope this stays true for WoW, Overwatch, etc.

Edit:
Confirmed: WoW costs $18.99 CDN/month (and lower if you do 3 or 6 months at a time). That's lower than I was being billed before (worked out to like $19.50 CDN or something).

I'm really glad the costs have stayed just about the same.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Someone said vanilla Wow was like a survival game and they are dead on. The experience is completely exhilarating because of it.

Not really. Maybe if you played a bad solo class with bad gear. I was tab dotting as many mobs as I could find, or soloing elites and even soloing some Maraudon bosses as a warlock. And it's not like I was rolling in AQ40/Naxx gear either, just BWL/AQ20 stuff.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Maybe if you played a bad solo class with bad gear. I was tab dotting as many mobs as I could find, or soloing elites and even soloing some Maraudon bosses as a warlock. And it's not like I was rolling in AQ40/Naxx gear either, just BWL/AQ20 stuff.
im not talking about the mobs. im talking about opposing faction.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
So here's my problem - I've played Horde basically since release on Illidan, since my friends all went there. I like Horde a lot, but the Alliance zones always feel more interesting to me. I REALLY want to roll as Alliance for a while, and spend some time actually leveling those characters. Should I wait around until 7.3.5 for that? Or just work on some toons now? My alliance characters are on Stormrage - anyone have a guild there or somewhere else that I could hop in on?

I'd honestly wait for the patch, especially considering with how leveling works now, you'll be hopping zones so quickly that you don't even really get to experience them.

Apparently it's supposed to come out around mid December if you can wait that long.
I would say it really depends on if the story is important to you. If you're just going to just plow through there is no real reason that I can see to wait.
That's the only real benefit I'm seeing is that now you can complete a zone story arc.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kinda curious on how they work in the leveling aspect into a zone - yeah, it's cool to be able to run through dragonblight in its entirety, but if all the mobs adopt the player (i)level = more health system, I wonder if leveling is actually going to slow down (a bit, at least, it likely won't matter in the long run with heirlooms and the like)

Well the good news is that you didnt miss out. When Classic comes out i suggest you give the game a shot with world PVP.

If you do do this, I'd roll a rogue lol. (Granted it's more for 1v1 pvp with ambush, but still)

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue 1-60 is not a problem at the moment. It is somewhat linear but you got some options, and you most likely will overlevel a bit anyway and that opens up more choices in a way. Gear may be an issue but if you have heirlooms...
For 61-80 content... well, the question is, do you want to quest in Outland or not? If not, for those levels you gotta wait till next patch.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, not really a fan of armor sets rather than class tier sets. Even if they end up looking absolutely stunningly god damn amazing, it'll still be "just" a cloth set, and not a warlock set =(. Yeah sure, tier sets jumped all over the place thematically, and rarely matched their raid setting, but at least they still presented some unique class identity.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they specifically up the difficulty, you're still going to be two shotting all the regular mobs for a long time, even at the same level. Enemies don't have enough health for how much damage classes do now, until you hit WoD I guess.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the Nightmare Dragons only spawn at one portal per day. For US, today's portal seems to be Ashenvale.

Hopefully that saves you from waiting around for 15 minutes in Duskwood with the stinky Alliance!

--

On the no-class-tiers thing: I'll withhold judgment until I see the armor. Blizzard is promising a larger variety of armor, and variety is always a good thing with how the transmog system works. We already have dozens and dozens of variants on our class fantasy between tier sets and PvP armor; if they think that they can make some really cool armor that brings new styles to our wardrobes, then I'm all for it. We all wish that Nighthold had dropped Nighborne armor, right? Well they probably would have been more keen on doing that if they didn't have to also model 12 class sets.

And if they end up doing a crappy job, then of course I'll complain about it then. But for the moment, I'm gonna give them the opportunity to deliver on the variety that they're promising.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
On the no-class-tiers thing: I'll withhold judgment until I see the armor. Blizzard is promising a larger variety of armor, and variety is always a good thing with how the transmog system works. We already have dozens and dozens of variants on our class fantasy between tier sets and PvP armor; if they think that they can make some really cool armor that brings new styles to our wardrobes, then I'm all for it. We all wish that Nighthold had dropped Nighborne armor, right? Well they probably would have been more keen on doing that if they didn't have to also model 12 class sets.

And if they end up doing a crappy job, then of course I'll complain about it then. But for the moment, I'm gonna give them the opportunity to deliver on the variety that they're promising.
The problem is that they need to make more than one good looking or else everyone will use the nice looking set anyway. They have shown to have this problem. The faction sets they showed though so look fucking nice.

Most of their answers were actually pretty stupid and made little sense. Like regarding the lack of hunch only on Orcs make sense because of Thrall. Well then give undead options to look like an elf since Sylvanna is undead or more human like Nathanos. Hell they don't have hunches. Their reasoning behind lack of class sets is stupid too. Everyone already transmogs, so why even bother making any visible armor. Just make it invisible with stats since we will transmogs anyway. Make armor styles that are worth showing off. Also bigger monstrous armor is not necessarily better.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
My wow account has been inactive since february, how can i check the level of all my characters? i cant remember the name of all of them

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that they need to make more than one good looking or else everyone will use the nice looking set anyway. They have shown to have this problem. The faction sets they showed though so look fucking nice.

Most of their answers were actually pretty stupid and made little sense. Like regarding the lack of hunch only on Orcs make sense because of Thrall. Well then give undead options to look like an elf since Sylvanna is undead or more human like Nathanos. Hell they don't have hunches. Their reasoning behind lack of class sets is stupid too. Everyone already transmogs, so why even bother making any visible armor. Just make it invisible with stats since we will transmogs anyway. Make armor styles that are worth showing off. Also bigger monstrous armor is not necessarily better.
On the hunched backs, they specifically said they were doing Orcs because that was the one they've been hearing about the most and for the longest. They brought up Thrall because they mentioned that having straight-back Orcs in the game probably contributed to that.

They're still making armor sets, they're just not class-specific - they're just themed to the raid/dungeon/whatever instead of to your class.

People don't seriously think they're going to have the art team sit around and do nothing the whole expansion, right?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
My destruction warlocks first 3 legendaries. Pillars of the Dark Portal, Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish, and now Norgannon's Foresight. I must have sent an angry email to Blizzard years ago or something that I don't remember.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
On the hunched backs, they specifically said they were doing Orcs because that was the one they've been hearing about the most and for the longest. They brought up Thrall because they mentioned that having straight-back Orcs in the game probably contributed to that.

They're still making armor sets, they're just not class-specific - they're just themed to the raid/dungeon/whatever instead of to your class.

People don't seriously think they're going to have the art team sit around and do nothing the whole expansion, right?
It's not that we think they are sitting around doing nothing, it's just that the excuse doesn't make any sense to me at all. I can't see how going from class sets (12) to armor type sets (4) will give more variety. I mean as it is, the usually theme their tier sets to the various raids. I guess we will see. Ion specifically mentioned how right now other cloth wearers run around in warlock looking gear, but isn't that what is going to happen in BfA? They are all going to wear the same set.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
The one-set-per-armor-type-per-zone comment does give me pause. I'm okay with that if it applies to leveling zones, but I would hope raids would have a similar volume of art as they have in Legion.

I'm still optimistic though because they are promising novel and unique armor designs. And the Legion transmog system has taught me that I'd much rather have a weird-but-unique armor design than a good-looking-and-safe armor design. (Because weird, unorthodox armor designs expand your transmog wardrobe and inspire new outfits. And in the event that you don't like them, you can just transmog over them.)

Again, I'll be disappointed if they fail to deliver, but for now I'm holding out hope that they're really going to give us some unique and memorable armor designs that take advantage of the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.