• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
It was 20 dollars with the epic sale (with the publisher getting their cut off of 30) so that helped bump up sales for sure. Its not rocket science egs is the top performer. Epic is subsidizing the game and giving the profit to the publisher. Good deal for the publisher.
I assume that's in the US. Since EGS uses another system to regional price their games, it might have been even lower in other regions. Here Metro Exodus was $5 for that sale. Think Control was also lower than $20.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They gained customers and users. That's what they've wanted all along. Weird flex to say they've 'lost' when this probably plays out as a success story for them.

Honestly it feels like they are trying to gain customers too soon. There's not enough meta content on the EGS to keep people from staying after bribing them to come in. They should really flesh out their store more before tossing out millions to get gamers on board.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The game is actually quite good and took me by surprise, really enjoyed my time with it so congrats to the devs. More people should check it out as it's basically the L4D3 that we never got, and the horde tech is amazing. Now maybe put some more time into Quake Champions, saber :P

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
EGS is the only place to buy it on PC, so...?

For the title I thought it was on Steam and EGS sold more, but not the case.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
EGS is the only place to buy it on PC, so...?

For the title I thought it was on Steam and EGS sold more, but not the case.
That's why Lyin' Timmy is using his Fortnite warchest to bribe these publishers. He knows that if all EGS exclusive games are sold in Steam or in other storefronts right now, his vanity project would be dead.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Great for them honestly, it seems like it got a lot of good reactions when people thought it was gonna be a stinker. I'd love to play it someday but I'm sticking to my guns however the really lame defense of the epic store while they have cut a fat paycheck to be exclusive is kinda souring me on how they represent themselves.

Just disregarding peoples concerns so easily. I know they have to be diplomatic about it all but just waving off concerns as nonsense, feels a tad disappointing.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That statement is some disingenuous nonsense.
Is it though? Not long ago that we can think back to some rather harsh posts about Spider-Man PS4's exclusivity or the numerous posts on the old site about Rise of the Tomb Raider.

We're a community mercifully comprised of mostly reasonable individuals but let's not pretend that this community hasn't flung shit at the walls over the years over console exclusivity, storefront exclusivity and a myriad of other issues.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it though? Not long ago that we can think back to some rather harsh posts about Spider-Man PS4's exclusivity or the numerous posts on the old site about Rise of the Tomb Raider.

We're a community mercifully comprised of mostly reasonable individuals but let's not pretend that this community hasn't flung shit at the walls over the years over console exclusivity, storefront exclusivity and a myriad of other issues.

I think tuxfool was referring to the original statement by the devs, not the mention of this forum.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
That would be a very tricky situation to navigate, but I heard as the project progressed there were components of id tech included at some point (no idea if that's true). Maybe Zenimax arranged to have a licence to use Saber's engine for the remainder of the project? There was a deleted Twitch video where the studio's UI artist said the project was now fully in id's hands and Saber was no longer involved.

I could see that but also see that people at id not wanting to bother learning and tinkering with a completely foreign engine to update the game which is why content and updates have dried up so much.. Especially since they have their own game to work on.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I keep wanting to try this out. How is it? Some of thee reviews mention it's a little short. Have they added more content?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was really fun. I only played about 30-40 hours before falling off, but I definitely felt I got my money's worth and plan on going back with new content.

That being said with Vermintide getting VS mode. Might have to slide back into that old gem too.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I take it this game isn't so fun solo though?

While I'm happy for the devs since their game has been doing relatively well, I'd say that using this game as an example of "see, games sell well on EGS!" is a bit disingenuous.

Vermintide 2, a game in the same genre, sold 1 million in a shorter period, all at full price, unlike WWZ, which had the $10 off Epic promo (that might not seem so big in the USA for instance, but was pretty big here in Argentina, considering the base game costs 19 dollars).

Metro had the same story though, so how long before we just brush aside our personal animosity and allow the developers to make their own decisions of what they think is best for them? Yes we are the consumer but they need to also make money.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Metro had the same story though, so how long before we just brush aside our personal animosity and allow the developers to make their own decisions of what they think is best for them? Yes we are the consumer but they need to also make money.
Odd example, given the fact that the developers were just as surprised as the potential customers that the game was an EGS exclusive.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Odd example, given the fact that the developers were just as surprised as the potential customers that the game was an EGS exclusive.
Koch media made the deal yet it was THQ Nordic who said it exceeded their expectations. If you don't own the IP of course you won't be able to make those kinds of decisions. These things happen all the time so there is no use blaming Epic. Even a studio like Insomniac wants to own their own IP's but they too have made deals in the past with Sony, you have to do what's best for your company and not everyone who makes the games gets a say of those deals.

I worded it wrong, it's not thosse who make the games, it's those who fund the games.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I take it this game isn't so fun solo though?

Can you give me an example of my "personal animosity" in the post you quoted? English is not my first language, so I'd love to know what I wrote that could look like "personal animosity".

Anyway, my post doesn't feature any personal animosity towards anything or anyone. The original article seemed to imply that the game's sales numbers prove EGS exclusives sell very well, and I provided a different article that highlights that might not necessarily be the case. Also, regarding Metro, the only official numbers they gave were incredibly vague.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got it for free with my CPU. Does that count as a sale?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you give me an example of my "personal animosity" in the post you quoted? English is not my first language, so I'd love to know what I wrote that could look like "personal animosity".

Anyway, my post doesn't feature any personal animosity towards anything or anyone. The original article seemed to imply that the game's sales numbers prove EGS exclusives sell very well, and I provided a different article that highlights that might not necessarily be the case. Also, regarding Metro, the only official numbers they gave were incredibly vague.

I was making a generalization about the animosity and the reaction I got was they were pleased with the sales, hence the part where they said exceeded expectations. Anyways that exclusive deal didn't seem to last too long, I'm playing it now through Game Pass.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a group of friends and play through the levels on harder difficulties you will have a lot of fun. It's fun, intense, and challenging, and with the number of times you fail the content will last you a good bit