• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

The developer also confirmed that those sales numbers make the EGS the top digital platform for the game, which Karch says has now sold "well over two million copies."

The success of the game's Epic Games store sales mean that PC has become an important part of World War Z's impressive sales figures. While the PS4's physical sales mean that Sony's console is the leading platform for the game, Karch says that Saber didn't quite expect the response on PC – "we always believed the game would find a good following on PC eventually. The surprise was just how quickly it happened, and how important Epic's platform was in getting us there."

An impressive share of sales on PC comes in spite of a backlash against the Epic Games store in general, something Karch says he doesn't really understand. "We don't see backlash when console manufacturers create games that are just for their hardware, and buying a system for a game is obviously a much more onerous requirement. My hope is that once there is feature parity on the PC platforms, we won't hear as much complaining"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun mindless game and the horde physics are amazing

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Game is a blast and me and my friends are still playing it. Good post-launch support too.

Need more levels and MP maps now but.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If the data is correct RE2, WWZ and Days Gone would've sold trillions of copies without zombie fatigue. Wonder if it's going to affect Dying Light 2 too

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That tends to happen when your game's nearly half price a couple of months after launch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Think it's more people are still hungry for Left 4 Dead. Really surprising we've had a whole gen and the closest titles to it are this and vermintide.

Yeah this is super accurate in my experience. I know tons of people who have been excited for this (and Vermintide) and it's always essentially because 'it's like Left 4 Dead!'. People love this style of game and there aren't a ton of them.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User warned: driveby post
The title was exclusive to the Epic Launcher on PC, and Karch credits it for its strong performance. "On the PC specifically, we are performing way above expectations thanks to the support we have received from the Epic Games Store."

Ohh boy I expect some popcorn over this one.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah this is super accurate in my experience. I know tons of people who have been excited for this (and Vermintide) and it's always essentially because 'it's like Left 4 Dead!'. People love this style of game and there aren't a ton of them.

In fairness, Vermintide 2 is a fantastic game in it's own right, it does enough things differently to separate itself from the crowd. Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan.

Also, fuck Epic.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

This is why I don't have much concern for developers when it comes down to the EGS situation because it seems even they don't have an understanding of things from a customer perspective.

Sony makes game only for Sony hardware =/= third party developer makes game for consoles and PC but only allows it to be bought from a DIFFERENT third party's digital storefront.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm happy for the devs since their game has been doing relatively well, I'd say that using this game as an example of "see, games sell well on EGS!" is a bit disingenuous.

Vermintide 2, a game in the same genre, sold 1 million in a shorter period, all at full price, unlike WWZ, which had the $10 off Epic promo (that might not seem so big in the USA for instance, but was pretty big here in Argentina, considering the base game costs 19 dollars).

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy it's doing well, their horde mechanic is fantastic and I can't wait to see it on next gen consoles.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It was 20 dollars with the epic sale (with the publisher getting their cut off of 30) so that helped bump up sales for sure. Its not rocket science egs is the top performer. Epic is subsidizing the game and giving the profit to the publisher. Good deal for the publisher.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm happy for the devs since their game has been doing relatively well, I'd say that using this game as an example of "see, games sell well on EGS!" is a bit disingenuous.

Vermintide 2, a game in the same genre, sold 1 million in a shorter period, all at full price, unlike WWZ, which had the $10 off Epic promo (that might not seem so big in the USA for instance, but was pretty big here in Argentina, considering the base game costs 19 dollars).

The game was discounted on top of the 10 dollars off. It basically has gone from 35 bucks to 20 bucks.
So yeah, that was 40% off a month after release.

Despite the lack of "competition" on the store, the game couldn't realize its full sales potential. When I say games like Vermintide selling more and faster in a more competitive landscape, when I see Mordhau selling over a million in a month or Risk of Rain 2 selling over a million. I definitely feel like they dropped the ball here with World War Z. While those are good numbers in absolute, it also paint a reality where one of the biggest seller on that store couldn't break a million after 2 months and a 40% off discount a month after release. With "no competition".

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the record, the previously reported figure was 320k EGS copies sold, on the second week after release.

That means there were 380k EGS copies sold since. Assuming AMD promo copies are excluded, and given that the last figures as of a month ago was "nearly two million players", I think it would be reasonable to assume that the bulk of these EGS copies was purchased during the MegaSale.

Napkin maths time:
1) Assuming that World War Z has exceeded the sales guarantee/repaid the advance, and is getting charged the 12% store fee,
2) assuming that 75% of the 380k sales were made during the Megasale (so, 285k), and
3) assuming all of these 285k sales were US sales (again, napkin maths!)

Epic was losing $10 - $3.60 = $6.4 for each copy sold during the Mega Sale

Which means that we can estimate that Epic lost $1.824 million dollars on World War Z alone during the Mega Sale.

This is not sustainable in the slightest.

The punchline: this is probably an underestimate. Since the Mega Sale was a fixed $10 discount on any game priced $15 or higher, Epic's losses would have been greater the cheaper the Mega Sale price was.

Oct 27, 2017
For the record, the previously reported figure was 320k EGS copies sold, on the second week after release.

That means there were 380k EGS copies sold since. Assuming AMD promo copies are excluded, and given that the last figures as of a month ago was "nearly two million players", I think it would be reasonable to assume that the bulk of these EGS copies was purchased during the MegaSale.

Napkin maths time:
1) Assuming that World War Z has exceeded the sales guarantee/repaid the advance, and is getting charged the 12% store fee,
2) assuming that 75% of the 380k sales were made during the Megasale (so, 285k), and

Which means that we can estimate that Epic lost $1.824 million dollars on World War Z alone during the Mega Sale.

Maybe they don't want to add a shopping cart because they don't want people to buy more games. 🤔

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That tends to happen when your game's nearly half price a couple of months after launch.

a staggering percentage of Steam games are heavily discounted after launch. Most don't hit 700k in sales.

This happens when there's a good game, on a platform it seems many aren't averse to using.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I've got buddies who are super serious about having me try this game. I won't play it on EGS but I ain't gonna sleep on it like I did with DBD either. Thinking about grabbing it on Xbox

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Napkin maths time:

The punchline: this is probably an underestimate. Since the Mega Sale was a fixed $10 discount on any game priced $15 or higher, Epic's losses would have been greater the cheaper the Mega Sale price was.

They gained customers and users. That's what they've wanted all along. Weird flex to say they've 'lost' when this probably plays out as a success story for them.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They gained customers and users. That's what they've wanted all along. Weird flex to say they've 'lost' when this probably plays out as a success story for them.
It depends on whether or not most of these new users buy (multiple) games outside of Mega Sales in order to recoup the loss. Given the dearth of sales figures for EGS exclusives, it's not a prediction I would be willing to make.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
thats great and all for the dev. but lets be honest, it oculd have sold way more. fact is they are happy cause they got money upfront plus the sales. it could have gone 1 million easily on steam.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
thats great and all for the dev. but lets be honest, it oculd have sold way more. fact is they are happy cause they got money upfront plus the sales. it could have gone 1 million easily on steam.
They haven't necessarily got money upfront + sales. EGS deals tend to be pre-purchase of copies. So Epic will pay for x number of copies before the game even releases, but then you don't get any money from sales until you hit that number. So depending on how many copies were pre-bought by Epic, WWZ devs (more accurately publisher), might not have seen a cent yet.