• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
screenshot_20200520-14kjkq.png

From the Embracer Groups latest financials. Last sales number we got was 2 million units in June 2019.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's good to hear. Wonder how many GamePass installs/plays count towards that 3 million?

WWZ is a great game, so I'm glad it's considered successful.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wait, it's on GamePass?! Sweet, must get it downloaded!

Surprised at how well it'd done. For some reason I thought it had bombed.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Did their free Epic giveaway also contribute to those sold numbers? The way Epic frames the terms and conditions makes me inclined to believe so.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay wait, how do you support a team of 600 employees with only 3 million sales? No insult to the game, those are good numbers for a video game.

Edit: nvm this studio has a bunch of releases every year including the Witcher 3 port for the Switch (which was a technical marvel). Makes sense now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saber's way bigger than I realized. They seem like Sumo Digital in that regard

spindash

Apr 29, 2020
Price dropped yesterday to ÂŁ7.49 on Xbox... REALLY hope they put that price up for PS4. Me and the boys will surely get it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Okay wait, how do you support a team of 600 employees with only 3 million sales? No insult to the game, those are good numbers for a video game.

But if you have 600 employees over 6 continents (6 offices?), then even if you assume it was sold for almost full price and the developer got a return of $50 for each copy after deducting the cut to retailers, then that's only a return of $250k per employee.

That $250k would have to pay for the employees annual salary, benefits, office space, and whatever game Dec equipment they need. Even being generous with the $50 return to the developer, that doesn't seem viable.
They've made a lot of games though. It's not like they've just had 600 people to work purely on WWZ.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But if you have 600 employees over 6 continents (6 offices?), then even if you assume it was sold for almost full price and the developer got a return of $50 for each copy after deducting the cut to retailers, then that's only a return of $250k per employee.

That $250k would have to pay for the employees annual salary, benefits, office space, and whatever game Dec equipment they need. Even being generous with the $50 return to the developer, that doesn't seem viable.

I mean, the obvious answer is they make more than World War Z. They do ports, work as a support studio, just released Snowrunner which sold a million in a couple weeks, etc.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

They have multiple studios and multiple teams.
They work on World War Z, but they also develop SnowRunner, WWE 2K Battlegrounds, and a bunch of other projects. They did the Switch port of The Witcher 3, for example. So WWZ uses only a minority of the workforce. On top of that, there is a long-term DLC plan, so that will generate extra revenue for them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd just like to say that I edited my post after I realized my mistake and THEN saw the three following posts correcting me.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Edit: nvm this studio has a bunch of releases every year including the Witcher 3 port for the Switch (which was a technical marvel). Makes sense now.

I know you already edited your post but I just wanted to explain in more detail.

Many of the contracts they have would have been for cash upfront, covering the cost of development plus a profit margin, games like Halo Online (cancelled), Halo Anniversary, Witcher 3, Quake Champions, would have had their costs funded by the publisher / IP holder.

Heck even World War Z was developed with paramount. I don't know the ins and outs of their dealings but it's likely an upfront cash payment + a profit split on game sales.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the 3 million units number isn't static, it's increasing every day, and that they also sell DLC.

A company like Sabre interactive really thrives off of those external contracts. So long as they keep securing them, they'll keep growing. It's the same with companies like Sumo Digital in the UK (500+ employees).

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, it's on GamePass?! Sweet, must get it downloaded!

Surprised at how well it'd done. For some reason I thought it had bombed.

I mean, it's a solid game (and some visual aspects look surprisingly good, the trailers did not do it any favours). Gameplay gets a bit repetitive after a while, but it's a great game to jump in after a the day is over and kill some zombies with friends.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn that's more than I expected. Played it on gamepass briefly but thought it was rather poor. Still, props for them numbers.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
Maybe hire them to make the next Resident Evil multiplayer experiment from Capcom.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Heck even World War Z was developed with paramount. I don't know the ins and outs of their dealings but it's likely an upfront cash payment + a profit split on game sales.
World War Z seems to be a long-term license. While it's not actually set in stone in this interview with GameDaily.biz, there is an hypothetical situation of an IP lease of 99 years being mentioned in the article, and I wouldn't be surprised if >10 years is also what we should think about in the case of World War Z.

When Saber was acquired by Embracer Group in February, Matt Karch elaborated on this in the earnings call, at 1:10:00 in the webcast (his main segment explaining the Saber business is also very interesting, it starts at 39:35, and it has some very funny moments as well).

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Guess I should buy this game someday.
They're working on Crysis remastered right? Any news on that?

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda bounced off this one, but the game had some awesome character models / design. And I appreciated that the primary weapons were on "slings". 99% of devs put weapons on the characters' back, and it's so stupid. No one uses a weapon from their back lol. Where did they get this idea? So dumb. Anyway, I digress. Game was pretty cool with some memorable elements.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I know you already edited your post but I just wanted to explain in more detail.

Many of the contracts they have would have been for cash upfront, covering the cost of development plus a profit margin, games like Halo Online (cancelled), Halo Anniversary, Witcher 3, Quake Champions, would have had their costs funded by the publisher / IP holder.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the 3 million units number isn't static, it's increasing every day, and that they also sell DLC.

A company like Sabre interactive really thrives off of those external contracts. So long as they keep securing them, they'll keep growing. It's the same with companies like Sumo Digital in the UK (500+ employees).

Similar to how Platinum Games does contract work?