• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's decent and it definitely fills the L4D feel if people are looking for the itch.

Haven't played KF2 so I can't speak on that.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
The game is fun. Sounds like the author has a vendetta against the EGS or the WWZ game. Weird.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Everyone really needs to stop using Twitch as a measure of any success. It takes one, just one, big streamer to play your game to get viewership up.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also got a refund for the game because I finished every episode in like 3 hours. There is no real incentive to replay the episodes.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well it's not like we have much else to go by and twitch can definitely be used as a metric to gauge interest
I believe there's a ton of value in advertising your game on Twitch since it gets eyes on it. But to know it's true success of how many sales or downloads it gets after the fact we'd have to get that info from the devs themselves. It's possible the viewership numbers crashing down could've been some higher profile twitch streamers being paid to play on day one.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Facts or context don't matter when this forum just wants to shit on egs at any opportunity.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I believe there's a ton of value in advertising your game on Twitch since it gets eyes on it. But to know it's true success of how many sales or downloads it gets after the fact we'd have to get that info from the devs themselves. It's possible the viewership numbers crashing down could've been some higher profile twitch streamers being paid to play on day one.

Conversely if the numbers would have been this low without a paid streamer than that's another indicator of a lack of interest in the title

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Facts or context don't matter when this forum just wants to shit on egs at any opportunity.

EGS dick waving a snapshot of Twitch viewers for 8 games, 4 of which are on multiple platforms that aren't the PC, as some sort of humble brag metric of a money hatted exclusive, doesn't really help endear them to anyone who already had issues with their business practices.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
LMAO.
From the guy that got his fame and job by datamining Steam, and cried like a baby when Steam closed his data source.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Conversely if the numbers would have been this low without a paid streamer than that's another indicator of a lack of interest in the title
True that. Nowadays I figure many brand new games get a lot of people checking them out on Twitch rather than YouTube trailers too. So those day one Twitch numbers will always be skewed. Twitch is the most fickle social media platform around.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It's only with context that this article even makes sense. It's directly related to Epic's PR guy yesterday flaunting large Twitch numbers for EGS as a boon for the industry and a sign that more digital platforms have made the games industry healthier. It's just that a day later it has become obvious that the metric the PR guy used was silly as this is what happens to all new big games. Somehow I think you've gotten the conclusions of the facts and context backwards.

Again, not sure how a game launch going the same as it does for every other game is notable.

It's only notable because it was made out to be notable by Epic's PR guy despite it being same old Twitch behavior.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
True that. Nowadays I figure many brand new games get a lot of people checking them out on Twitch rather than YouTube trailers too. So those day one Twitch numbers will always be skewed. Twitch is the most fickle social media platform around.

Oh you're not wrong. Like this isn't something that should be taken as concrete evidence but it is an indicator.

Raised in a Barn

Chicken Chaser
Mar 26, 2019
I think it's worth embedding the tweet in question.

This article is dumb, but it was posted because Galyonkin said this dumb nonsense about "multi-store world" (like other stores didn't exist on PC before EGS) and bragged about those Twitch numbers. I think it was no surprise to anyone that those numbers will go down quickly, but Epic tried to brag about them anyway and this is why we have this article now.

Why top 8? Why not top 5, or top 10?

It's a mystery.

Oct 27, 2017
personally I am glad this is being brought up. It was a total dick move on EGS's part to try and big up their service with blatant falsehoods.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
personally I am glad this is being brought up. It was a total dick move on EGS's part to try and big up their service with blatant falsehoods.
What was false?

I don't see the big deal here. It's no different to a publisher boasting about day one sales numbers, even if they later drop off a cliff. It's just marketing. Happens everywhere.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It's only notable because it was made out to be notable by Epic's PR guy despite it being same old Twitch behavior.
Do people not understand that Epic exclusives performing in line with what games do on every other store is what developers and Epic want from the Epic Games Store? It means people will play games no matter what storefront they buy them from.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
What was false?

I don't see the big deal here. It's no different to a publisher boasting about day one sales numbers, even if they later drop off a cliff. It's just marketing. Happens everywhere.

It's a gross misrepresentation. Only two games on that whole list is PC only, so any success or lack of on EGS is entirely obscured. Not to mention Twitch viewership in any one moment is not indicative of overall success of a game.

Oct 27, 2017
What was false?

There are at least 2 games in that tweet that are on steam. They are GTA 5 and Anno 1800, whilst true Anno can no longer be purchased on steam it is safe to bet the vast majority of purchases were on steam right up till launch day. The whole damn tweet was constructed in such away as to "big up" EGS in a borderline dishonest way.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
There are at least 2 games in that tweet that are on steam. They are GTA 5 and Anno 1800, whilst true Anno can no longer be purchased on steam it is safe to bet the vast majority of purchases were on steam right up till launch day. The whole damn tweet was constructed in such away as to "big up" EGS in a borderline dishonest way.
Right, so 1 of those 8 are on Steam, as the tweet said.

I still don't see the big deal. Basically every marketing from every company is designed to make the product look the best it can be. Look at those pictures of meals at fast food and breakfast places, etc. etc. etc. I understand wanting to hate on EGS, it just seems a stretch in this case. It's like, "He said the game was popular and later it was less popular!!! WE GOT HIM!!!!!"

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Right, so 1 of those 8 are on Steam, as the tweet said.

I still don't see the big deal. Basically every marketing from every company is designed to make the product look the best it can be. Look at those pictures of meals at fast food and breakfast places, etc. etc. etc. I understand wanting to hate on EGS, it just seems a stretch in this case. It's like, "He said the game was popular and later it was less popular!!! WE GOT HIM!!!!!"
  1. PR guys uses good looking data he knows it is flawed as PR trying to paint themselves as super succesful.
  2. A day later it is shown that the data he used to push his PR message was flawed. (And everyone knew it was when he said it)
  3. Articles are published to make fun of how bad the initial PR statement was with new data in hand.
We get the same whenever there is a PR statement that blows back because reality happens. Articles are written to make fun of how reality happened. This is not an EGS thing, this is a thing whenever big companies try to be savy by choosing good looking data they know it doesnt tell reality.

There wouldnt have been any pushback if the PR guy of the company hadnt touted the results as showing how this was the new reality thanks to them.
It is even more hilarious because (as I said before), most days there is only like tops 3 Steam Games in the Top8 of Twitch. The "multi-store" was already there before EGS even launched because most of the top streamer games arent in Steam.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
That seems like an incredibly childish tweet from Sergey, but I don't expect anything else from Epic.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
That tweet by Sergey was already stupid when he posted it. Even before the Epic store, the top 10 games on Twitch were spread across multiple launchers and stores.
twitchchart.jpg

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It would but console streaming and console streamers arent really the big thing on Twitch. Almost all of the top streamers (that would have been paid for this) would be PC streamers or stream on PC when its a multiplatform title. I doubt console made up any significant numbers on this.

Regardless, this story is ridiculous. Trying to pin the (completely normal) fall in twitch numbers on a game being EGS exclusive is fucking dumb.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
That or I think that Epic has created a strong countershock to EGS marketing. Anytime they promote something, I only expect people to backlash against it
theres that too, but all the popular streamers playing it have no stopped, so the viewer numbers obviously dropped hard

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think it's worth embedding the tweet in question.

This article is dumb, but it was posted because Galyonkin said this dumb nonsense about "multi-store world" (like other stores didn't exist on PC before EGS) and bragged about those Twitch numbers. I think it was no surprise to anyone that those numbers will go down quickly, but Epic tried to brag about them anyway and this is why we have this article now.

I love the wording here. Like Anno is obviously being counted as a Epic game aswell as a Uplay but GTA is only counted as a Rockstar Social Club(lol) and wasn't Anno still preorderable on Steam? Steamspy has Anno 1800 as between 200,000-500,000 users on Steam so technically that should be 3 Steam games on his list. What a cunt.

EDIT - wait I fucked up I've never played Hearthstone but in my head I thought it was some Free To Play Moba on Steam. I'm pretty stupid. It's still a stupid message though and Twitch is not simply about PC games either.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
has the L4D type co-op subgenre ever been a "hit" on Twitch. like what were Vermintide 2's numbers a few days after launch, and did anybody care?

Last edited:

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
another PC exclusive to EGS, another PC bomba.

If I were a dev going exclusive to EGS, I would be demanding 100 million. Nobody is buying shit off that thing.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using twitch viewer numbers as a metric for a newly released game are foolish.

People need to start looking at the amount of streamers/viewer ratio over a period of time to come to any sort of real conclusion.