• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
184218-world-war-z-banner-1920x600_0.jpg

Genre: Four player cooperative third-person shooter (completely playable offline with bots)
Developer: Saber Interactive
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive, MadDog Games
Release Date: April 16th, 2019
Price: $39.99
Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC (Epic Games Store exclusive)
Game Availability:
World War Z will be available both digitally and physically.
Xbox One X and PS4 Pro Enhancements: Dynamic 4K resolution, no other enhancements known of at this time.

ABOUT THE GAME
World War Z is a thrilling four-player cooperative third-person shooter featuring massive swarms of zombies that recklessly rush their living prey. Focused on fast-paced gameplay — and based on the incredibly popular Paramount Pictures property of the same name — World War Z explores new storylines and characters from around the world in tense, overwhelming, gruesomely exciting missions.

The swarm feels neither fear nor mercy. It rolls forward to spread and consume. Together, make your stand and unload an arsenal of deadly weaponry into these hundreds of swarming zombies. Feel the satisfying rush of life as you cheat death and prevail against such overwhelming odds. Cut the undead down with rocket launchers, machine guns, sentries, turrets, grenade launchers, barbed wire, and more.

STORY AND MISSIONS
Humanity is on the brink of extinction. From New York, to Moscow, to Jerusalem, the undead apocalypse continues to spread. Countless millions of ravenous zombies without feeling or fear overwhelm and infect the embattled survivors of World War Z. As the end looms, a hardened few band together and endure. Alone, we are easily overcome. Together, we may yet bring down the horde and press on. For our story – the story of humanity – can only live on if we do.

World War Z functions much like Left 4 Dead structurally - a set of four "campaigns" feature three missions each. Each campaign is set in an entirely different location that the last and has a light narrative wrapping. There is also a PvPvE mode wherein two squads face off while a horde barrels down on them. Details are currently scarce about this mode but it is expected to be 4 vs. 4. While Saber Interactive has mentioned intentions to expand on the game with free post-launch support, the game's four campaigns at launch are...

MOSCOW
Father Popov and his team must survive the zombie horde to find a secret Kremlin bunker.
WWZ_logo_08.jpg

NEW YORK
A group of survivors atop a Manhattan office building must survive the zombie infested buildings, streets and subways of New York to escape the city while the military attempts to take it back.
WWZ_logo_25.jpg

JERUSALEM
A military squad must rescue a top scientist from the fallen city to activate a weapons system on an abandoned satellite base.
WWZ_logo_05.jpg

TOKYO
Quick to respond to the global outbreak, Japan decides to evacuate the country. A volunteer search and rescue team must battle the hordes to protect the civilian population as they retreat to Tokyo harbor.
tokyo-2.jpg

CHARACTERS, CLASSES AND PROGRESSION
World War Z does not feature a character creator, instead, players choose between six distinct characters and may choose a specialization class that features a set of its own unique class abilities.
heroes.png

• Gunslinger – For those who skip the questions and shoot first, the Gunslinger is loaded with an arsenal of weapon damage and ammo-boosting perks to mow down the dead.
  • Hellraiser – Enough explosives can solve any problem! Hellraisers come armed with C4 and other tools for effective crowd control.
  • Slasher – For warriors with a sense of elegance, the best way to kill is with your trusty blade. Slashers have perks that increase melee damage and effectiveness while their armed tasers deliver electrifying results.
  • Medic – Sometimes the best way to fight the undead is keeping your teammates from becoming one of them. Armed with a Stim Pistol, Medics can heal fellow survivors from a distance and help keep the chaos under control.
  • Fixer – When versatility in any situation is the highest priority, the Fixer is there for you, starting out with an explosive ammo case and several teammate ammo-restoring perks.
  • Exterminator – Fire is the answer! Armed with Molotov cocktails and increased fire damage, the Exterminator just wants to watch the undead burn.
In World War Z, there is weapon and class progression. Each time you use a class, you will earn XP for that class which will unlock perks that you can unlock using points earned in game. Weapons operate in a similar fashion - all weapons start at level one and continued usage will unlock attachments that can be unlocked using points. Each weapon will go up to level five.

THE HORDE

In-game Zombie Hordes behave like real crowds, getting stuck in narrow corridors and climbing on top of each other to reach players on higher levels. Hordes become increasingly more difficult to defeat and behave like single entity bosses as players progress through the game. The proprietary Swarm Engine by Saber Interactive seamlessly renders hundreds of zombies on-screen in incredible firefights.

Advanced gore and dismemberment systems provide a visceral and gruesomely satisfying third-person shooter experience. Procedural enemy and item spawns — based on player performance — provide a highly replayable co-op experience. Stand your ground, gear up, and strategize as you set traps, barricades, turrets, and sentries to survive the zombie swarms. Special Infected like "The Bull", a charging enemy that pins you to the ground, "The Screamer", a L4D Witch-like enemy that attracts large hordes with her shrieking and countless others keep combat from becoming one note and keep survivors on their toes.

Q&A
Q: Will there be a Steam release?
A: As of right now, there is no information on a limit to the Epic Games Store exclusivity. If you want to mow down the Zeke hordes on PC, the EGS is the only place to do it.

Q: Is this a looter shooter/other incorrect term for this rising sub-genre?
A: World War Z is not a looter shooter. Items like ammo and various other resources will be found on the map but there is no loot system in place.

Q: Will there be a Versus and Horde mode?
A: There is no Versus or Horde mode at launch but Saber Interactive has mentioned that they are aware of the communities demand for these modes.

Q: Are you able to play as a zombie?
A: While you will not be able to play as a zombie (at least at launch), your character will turn into an AI controlled zombie upon your death and join the horde attacking your teammates.

Q: Does the character I choose affect gameplay?
A: No. You will be able to choose any weapon loadout and specialization class for any character.

Q: Can you have multiple of the same class on your team?
A: Yes, there is no limit to how many players can play a specific class.

Q: Is there split-screen?
A: No, there is no split-screen.

Q: Is there cross-platform play?
A: No, there is currently no cross-platform play at launch.

Q: If you had to compare World War Z to other titles, what is it most similar to?
A: World War Z has been compared to Tom Clancy's The Division, Days Gone (for its horde tech) and Left 4 Dead. Those titles feel like a fair approximation of the World War Z experience.

Q: Does the game have any connections to the book?
A: There was a book?

Q: What framerate does the game run at on consoles?
A: All console versions run at 30 FPS.

Q: Do the "enhanced consoles" increase the density of the horde?
A: Because of the nature of the game (an asynchronous four player cooperative experience), the horde will be the same across all console platforms. Don't worry though - when you're knee deep in Zeke guts and another two hundred of them are barreling towards you, you won't be wishing for more.

Q: What resolutions are the base consoles utilizing?
A: The base Xbox One will be running at 900p while the base PS4 is 1080p.

Q: Is there a chainsaw?
A: There is a chainsaw.

MEDIA

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018
Really wanted to get this on steam but I guess Ill see how performance will be on the ps4 version and buy it there...any idea if its 60fps?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Good job with the OT, OP.

I saw some consols footage last night, this looks like a ton of fun with friends. I would have bought it on release if it wasn't for this one other game :p

I'll probably pick it up next month.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When you die and your character turns into a zombie, can you follow them with the camera to see what happens to them after that?

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Keeping my eyes on this one. Love the option to play with bots if needed.

May snag it depending how it plays on X and reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
My copy arrived yesterday but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Really looking forward to playing with my friends on Tuesday.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Great title. I had thought in the past "if Division isnt going to have a zombie mode, WWZ looks to be the answer"

Excited to try this.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Gore system looks good, I just want to spam rockets into those mobs especially when they form that zombie pyramid :p

Might pick this up on X, curious what resolution and performance this is on there.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I didn't realize this was coming out so soon. I might pick it up if the impressions are good

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I'd love to get this one on PC but I feel like I won't be able to find anyone to matchmake with considering it is an EGS exclusive.

Apr 8, 2018
Been watching some gameplay recently and this actually looks pretty solid? Graphics-wise, I think it looks pretty good and the gunplay looks to be very satisfying. Character movement seemed kinda sluggish though (unless it was just the person playing). Tempted to pick this up now, but I may wait for more impressions and maybe reviews.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea this was coming out, and it seems like they are sending it out to die coming out so close to Days Gone, but I am still intrigued. Just looks like mindless fun, which I still no doubt seek from video games from time to time.

Shortiloe

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought this was coming to Steam O.o oh well, Offline Mode then, I don't tink you will find many players when it is EGS exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
Would have bought this day one if not for Dreams EA. As it is, I'll be watching the PC performance thread with great interest. Hoping EGS gets its shit together soon too, as I think the mod community could do some really fun stuff with a game like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good to me, but it's too close to Days Gone for a purchase. I'll pick it up in due course. Reminds me obviously of Left4Dead which is obviously a good thing.

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A fair bit of people here seem to be taking the "wait and see" approach which, of course, is fine, just important to note - this is a budget release that leans pretty heavily on multiplayer. If Saber is going to invest significantly into post launch support, they're likely going to want a sizable community behind the game. If you can afford it, it may be worth forking over the $40 for a new copy to support the game and help build a community early on in the games life.

Alright, I'm off of my soapbox now. See ya'll tomorrow night!
EGS exclusive FTL.
I hope it's 60fps/HDR on consoles...
30 FPS and no HDR support, unfortunately.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Forgot this game even existed until my friend mentioned it tonight. I started watching videos and it looks kinda mid, BUT unlike another upcoming mid looking zombie game this has a price to match and it's co-op funtime, so I think I might cop.

Although it already looks like the horde of zombies is going to pale in comparison to the horde of PC gamers upset they have to click a different icon to play it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I really don't want to support EGS but if it turns out to be good Ill probably go against my beliefs.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't have time for it right now but May is pretty empty so far (just interested in Rage 2) so I will probably pick it up next month since a couple of friends asked me to get so we could play together.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
To think Valve have been sat on the L4D ip for over a decade and have not been arsed to do a single thing with it. This going to Epic might make Valve think about dusting off a few of though ip's they hold the keys to.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me and 3 friends are getting it on PC, these are the type of games I like to support, more of these budget AA games should be successful.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To think Valve have been sat on the L4D ip for over a decade and have not been arsed to do a single thing with it. This going to Epic might make Valve think about dusting off a few of though ip's they hold the keys to.
Factually, Left 4 Dead 3 was in development until 3/4 years ago, so they were definitely arsed to do a single thing with it.