• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying the game so far.... but is there non stats in the game? I would like to know detailed stats with each gun.. how many kills.. completed missions and so forth. Am I just missing it?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Got it on PC and played a couple levels on easy mode to get a feel for it. It truly does feel like a Left 4 Dead game, but the first time a horde popped up it feels so much more tense. I'm really enjoying it.

Now if I can just convince 3 other friends to both remove their Epic Store biases and the fact that it's named after the butchered film of a great novel, maybe I can end up having more fun with it...

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you promise not to take it as a promise, probably before the end of the month, and hopefully sooner. I believe we've already said the third Tokyo map will be out soon, free of charge, so that'll be the first major bit of content.
Cool, thanks for the estimate. No promises, no guarantees interpreted. :)

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I have well over 500 hours in between L4D1/2, it's one of my favorite game franchises of all time. I played through the first map of this last night when I had a little time with it, it runs really well for me, controls and gameplay are fine. It brings over a lot of what Left4Dead brought.

My problem with it, and it's a problem that will end with me playing through each map maybe 2-3 times and never coming back, is that so far at least none of the characters have any weight to them from a personality standpoint. By the end of the L4D games, the character banter and individual dialogue game them depth and their own story, you were dropped in after bad shit went down, but you knew these people almost immediately. I don't get any of that with the characters in the group I used.

For me personally, I would have been happier if they had pared the number of selectable characters down to 4-6 at most and spent more time fleshing them out, giving them dialogue that added to their place in the world. So far, it just feels like run, shoot, set up traps, run, shoot, rinse repeat.

It's a good game for the price, but I don't see it being a title I come back to for months/years like I do L4D.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have well over 500 hours in between L4D1/2, it's one of my favorite game franchises of all time. I played through the first map of this last night when I had a little time with it, it runs really well for me, controls and gameplay are fine. It brings over a lot of what Left4Dead brought.

My problem with it, and it's a problem that will end with me playing through each map maybe 2-3 times and never coming back, is that so far at least none of the characters have any weight to them from a personality standpoint. By the end of the L4D games, the character banter and individual dialogue game them depth and their own story, you were dropped in after bad shit went down, but you knew these people almost immediately. I don't get any of that with the characters in the group I used.

For me personally, I would have been happier if they had pared the number of selectable characters down to 4-6 at most and spent more time fleshing them out, giving them dialogue that added to their place in the world. So far, it just feels like run, shoot, set up traps, run, shoot, rinse repeat.

It's a good game for the price, but I don't see it being a title I come back to for months/years like I do L4D.
You came back to L4D for years due to character development? Their dialogue amongst the group was more involved and often but enough to justify revisiting the same content for months -> years? That's surprising to say the least.

Last edited:

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely forgot about this--glad it isn't garbage. I never played/enjoyed the L4D games for their character/story, so that won't be a factor for me.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
Picked it up last night and had an absolute blast! Kind of came out of nowhere for me when I saw the thread and decided to pick it up on a whim. Have been having some connection quality and drop issues, so have resorted to trying as best possible to make sure I'm the host which has smoothed things out. Hopefully server stability comes in the next few days.

Fixer is an early favourite class, but they all look pretty good.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I thought this was on Steam and found out it was another EGS exclusive.. i might just purchase it from them or on the PS4.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Overall thoughts there are some things I'd change here for sure. Some of the most successful things WWZ does are the feeling of tension and reward for minimizing your collective noise/attention. Clearing your way to objectives quietly is great. The knowledge a wrong move could start a domino effect that ends up in hordes, expenditure of vital ammo/supplies (depending on difficulty) and possible outright failure is always at the back of your mind.

Exploration rewards are lacking at the moment. Finding a breaching charge and popping that sealed door or container should be a more exciting moment than it is. Maybe weapons that are more exciting one-offs or maybe something interesting like a diversion inside like an alarm the team can trigger to call the horde and avoid them/recover. Or something funny like a couple of bulls or a mini horde locked inside for a hit of adrenaline. Mostly results in guns you don't want or traps. Something needs to change there.

Trap sections/big arena waves of undead start to wear a bit thin towards the end with the mortar/machine gun emplacement moments IMO and I'm not incredibly sure how I'd address that at the moment.

NY still feels great to me throughout regardless of how many times I complete it while Russia and Israel feel a bit off. Haven't done Japan yet.

Last edited:

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Played a bit more and I think i'm enjoying it more with each game. Couldn't get into an online game on PC yet. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, not in a negative way, but I feel that this is the kind og game that would have gone down really well on Gamepass

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this isn't straight garbage like I assumed from the first trailer from last year. Might jump in with these reviews and my buddies say they're already buying it.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I wish developers of solo/co-op (aka co-op slots are taken by bots when playing solo) is add bot commands. If the 4 of us have to carry 6 supply crates somewhere, why is the solo player stuck doing 6 slow runs? We even have alert/command buttons (d-pad) but they don't appear to do anything with the bots. Being able to issue a simple "activate objective" command to at least one other bot would greatly reduce the tedium of the game. We've had them in other games for ages, so it's clearly possible.

Payday is the worst offender of this, but WWZ is already getting exhausting with the "pick up 6 of these" and "flip these 3 switches" stuff that would normally be divide-and-conquer.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
One thing I wish developers of solo/co-op (aka co-op slots are taken by bots when playing solo) is add bot commands. If the 4 of us have to carry 6 supply crates somewhere, why is the solo player stuck doing 6 slow runs? We even have alert/command buttons (d-pad) but they don't appear to do anything with the bots. Being able to issue a simple "activate objective" command to at least one other bot would greatly reduce the tedium of the game. We've had them in other games for ages, so it's clearly possible.

Payday is the worst offender of this, but WWZ is already getting exhausting with the "pick up 6 of these" and "flip these 3 switches" stuff that would normally be divide-and-conquer.

Agreed 100%, its why I started doing more online despite having connection issues. Although believe it or not my last game of the night last night ended on a wipe because I was the only person doing them at the end of a mission despite the lobby being 4/4... Still not sure what they were thinking, maybe farming kills? I managed to get to 4/6 at least before the inevitable

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit more and I think i'm enjoying it more with each game. Couldn't get into an online game on PC yet. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, not in a negative way, but I feel that this is the kind og game that would have gone down really well on Gamepass

Yeah with a game that relies on friends for Co op this would have been a good move. It's also why I haven't picked it up yet on PC. I have no friends who are buying this game so I will be curious to see from you what the online community is like. If there is a decent player base I may get it.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
You came back to L4D for years due to character development? Their dialogue amongst the group was more involved and often but enough to justify revisiting the same content for months -> years? That's surprising to say the least.

I came back to L4D because the game play is great and stands the test of time and there's a ton of community made content for it thanks to the modding community. More developed characters and interesting situations made that easier to justify.

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get back online last night and finish off Moscow and Tokyo.

I'd rate the maps: Jerusalem > Tokyo > New York > Moscow.

Really enjoyed my initial play through and looking forward to playing on harder difficulties and levelling up. I think even at its reduced price another level or two wouldn't have hurt. Luckily replayability is high and hopefully we'll get more maps as time goes on.

Only other gripes are just little jank things that they'll hopefully fix over time. Like Ammo boxes being next to guns lead to me picking up a gun I don't want instead of grabbing ammo.

Still, really happy this turned out so well.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
Game looks great, hope we see HDR support soon (XB1X)

YNUGQ.png

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
How is this game solo with randoms? I'm interested but I don't have any friends to play with.

I've been playing it solo with both bots and pugs so far. Bots are good at killing and covering you, and dont break silence until you do which is really nice if you want to stealth a ways before opening up. That said they won't complete objectives so when you have to collect 6 items or hit 3 switches in a row thats all on you which is rough.

My experience with pugs has been pretty decent. I've had a few connection lost situations mid-mission and one lag issue so I try to end up the host if I can. I've encountered one terrible group so far. But I also ran with the same 3 other guys for about 90min last night and got several missions done in a row which was great. And most of the other groups I've had have been easy to find and quite competent. It will also likely get easier when I've finished playing all the missions straight through in order so I start quick joining instead of picking the specific act I want to play.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is the PvP in this ?

Also for pve is this the new left 4 dead or just the mediocre killing floor with more enemies ?

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how replayable are the missions? Like is there random elements, events that change up?
Spawns of enemies and items vary. Events don't unfortunately. Seems like zombie intensity varies too. Some runs of the same level are insane in terms of how much is thrown at you while others are way more relaxed outside of events. Helps with the tension/idea that things can 180 on you on an instant. I think it's a really solid game that could be amazing with some good updates and intelligent response to feedback.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh... New York. Tunnels.. at the end.. game just does not move forward. Every zombie killed.. says protect train.. 30 min later we all just quit.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did a Tokyo run on hard and actually started to see the purpose of the masking grenades. The jump from normal is pretty significant.

How is the PvP in this ?
Also for pve is this the new left 4 dead or just the mediocre killing floor with more enemies ?
Haven't played the pvp but I think it's a good evolution of the l4d formula. If you like l4d I don't see any reason you wouldn't like this.
So how replayable are the missions? Like is there random elements, events that change up?
The frame of the mission is always the same, so the paths you take and the placements of the holds are always going to be the same, but the special enemies, hordes, weapons, and defense items will always be different (certain holds also require you to get key items which randomize). Again, basically l4d.
How long is the co-op campaign from start to finish?
Most people say a chapter takes about 40-60 minutes which feels about right in my experience, and there's four chapters. If your plan is to playthrough once then it's not going to be a particularly great investment.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to mute individuals? Even when in party chat you hear people in the same game and multiple times we had team mates with horrible sound feedback. It just ruins the game.

Going into the options and turning chat volume down to zero does the trick but at the start of every round even with it set to zero you can hear people in chat again.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
played ny on hard with two friends. maybe we are not that good but it ook us like an hpur to get to the train (first stage). also de ai was very helpful since it detected enemies before we could even see them and it revived us many times. all in all this is a great game to coop and for 40 usd you cant go wrong. i wish ther was some dlc missions on the future.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
played ny on hard with two friends. maybe we are not that good but it ook us like an hpur to get to the train (first stage). also de ai was very helpful since it detected enemies before we could even see them and it revived us many times. all in all this is a great game to coop and for 40 usd you cant go wrong. i wish ther was some dlc missions on the future.
Yeah i'd be in for more missions, maybe a winter focused episode later this year

WOM seems really non existant tho, wich sucks since it's a rather good game

May 22, 2018
I'm having a ton of fun with the game, and the progression system, while a bit simplistic, is addicting and constantly driving me to play more.

Yesterday was my first time playing online co-op, and it was messy. I was going to jump in on Hard until another poster earlier mentioned how bad randoms can be, so I started on Normal. Well I can confirm they can be quite bad. The biggest offense is not moving to the next objective and lingering about too long. I'm by no means a perfect player myself, but my greatest sin is trying to move to group forward to the next objective alone and getting pounced on. I think I may need to start utilizing the microphone more.

Overall I am really having a great time. Can't wait to get some more in this weekend, and finally try the PvP.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Whatever was plaguing the multiplayer on PC (or more likely my two tin can broadband) seems to have ended and there seems to be a good amount of people playing. Lots of very silent, evidently very confused folks having a go so it's not as dead as I very incorrectly assumed.

Can get a bit laggy during the kind of down-timey bits (conversations etc.) but again tin-can broadband, so whatever.

Since nobody I know got the epic store version, I did try the PS4 version at a mates. Oooh boy that whole thing seems real borked on there, even on 'single player'. Real janky, more so than normal.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and quickly created an Era discord. Channels for LFG, gamertag share and a few voice channels. Will update it when I'm on a PC.

Discord
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
A friend of mine bought it yesterday on PC but is unable to get the sound to work. He tried a lot of tricks in the book but the game stays silent. He is in the process of requesting a refund, but maybe someone knows how to help him. I would love to play it with him.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine bought it yesterday on PC but is unable to get the sound to work. He tried a lot of tricks in the book but the game stays silent. He is in the process of requesting a refund, but maybe someone knows how to help him. I would love to play it with him.
Has he tried playing anything else on the Epic store? Any demos or anything?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Just got home ready to play my first session of this but my friends are offline :(
If anyone has a free slot in their team and are willing to take me out for my first session Im game :)

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got home ready to play my first session of this but my friends are offline :(
If anyone has a free slot in their team and are willing to take me out for my first session Im game :)
Created a discord linked above for this purpose. Just needs people in here to join and use it lol.