• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to replay TR, but I have lots of reasons to replay DmC. Right now it's part of my series marathon, and I know I'll love it again.

Funnily enough both these reboots have bad cutscenes/dialogue/character development, but DmC is somewhat memorable at least. Also Tomb Raider tried way too hard to tick all those AAA RPG crafting element boxes instead of focusing on the damn tombs.

I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider more even though story was a lot worse and gameplay too repetitive after a while, and I'm excited about Shadow, so I'm glad they continued!

DmC never needed a sequel. Going back to DMC 5 with lessons learned was the best option, Ninja Theory was amazing with Hellblade, best timeline, everybody wins.

Tomb Raider was the best reboot project but I'm happier about DmC's legacy.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Where do I vote?

as for the actual question, I considered the DMC reboot somewhat decent I guess, while the Tomb raider reboot is just trash imo

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Tomb Raider. The reboot replaced actual tomb raiding and challenging environment puzzles with shooting hundreds of bad guys and collectibles marked with a huge light beam. The game threats people as idiots.

969942781.jpg

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
DmC but they're both bad.

Still not over the 'you will want to protect her' bullshit.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
They are both decent to good games but they both miss the point of what they were trying to do.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Both games were great and my two favorite games that year.
Played DmC 3 times TR reboot 5 times. Just stop with this "worse" bullshit.

Bioshock: Infinite was probably the most overrated game that year.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider I guess since DmC Definitive Edition is the best Devil May Cry game.

The Tomb Raider reboot games are still all good though. Better than Naughty Dog stuff as far as gameplay goes anyway.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Worse thread - this one or the one about X-Files/Gamexplain

Both two highly pointless and not aware of the reality. Both about high profile brands. Both were an attempt to create a thread because boredom. Which do you think was worse?

In other news, two weeks left until DMC2 gets retconned.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have to go with Tomb Raider. I only played the first game and it just felt so...forgettable, I guess? I don't think anything about it was actually bad (well, aside from the story) but I never touched it again after completing the main story. I played the Definitive Edition of DmC, so it might not be a fair comparison, but I do think it is a much more fun and memorable game that I go back to play every once in a while. I would say that even the story in DmC is more memorable than Tomb Raider's story. Both plots are certainly bad, but Tomb Raider's plot is bad in a boring generic way, to the point that I barely remember anything about it. Whereas DmC's plot is catastrophically terrible in a way that ends up making it actually kind of fun.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Which critically acclaimed game is worse, guys??

DmC and TR2013 are FAR from the worst games in those franchises. Disliking games or even being offended by them existing is fine I suppose, but you have to recognize that the vast majority of people find those games to be good to even great.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a summary somewhere of why people hate DMC so much? I was and still am to some extent completely removed from the more hardcore communities in games. Back when it released I pretty much only listened / watched Giantbomb (only thing thats really changed in that regard is I come here), Brad gave it a 5/5 I believe, I then bought it, played it through once thoroughly enjoying it and moved on.

Like I said earlier was only a year or two after that I saw all the hatred for it.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Tomb Raider sales were lagging so it needed a shake up but their original idea of the island being an open world with a Jhorror/survival horror slant sounded much better than what we ended up with. A game that just checked off all the boxes of the time (QTEs, emphasis on story and characters nobody gives a shit about, big action set pieces, focus on shooting not puzzles, etc.)

DMC though was completely strange and unnecessary. Like the franchise was barely ten years old at the time did it really warrant a complete reboot? Again like every game at the time developers thought there was some kind of secret sauce that would magically make their games "appeal to modern western gamers" and pull in COD/GOW money. Unfortunately countless games from the east and west were ruined in that gen chasing after that money train.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people need to constantly be talking about stuff that's bad. "Oh, this is shit, let's keep shitting on it."

Both games came out SIX YEARS AGO. Neither of them is bad. In fact, both of them are pretty good. Move on.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
We got Dual Pistols and White Hair Dante for like less than 30 seconds at the of each game. I'm actually having a hard time choosing one. They both do great in the gameplay department, but the story in both of them are bad.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Both made miss the old games but only DmC was downright disrispectful to the franchise and the fans so i'll go with that

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Is there a summary somewhere of why people hate DMC so much? I was and still am to some extent completely removed from the more hardcore communities in games. Back when it released I pretty much only listened / watched Giantbomb (only thing thats really changed in that regard is I come here), Brad gave it a 5/5 I believe, I then bought it, played it through once thoroughly enjoying it and moved on.

Like I said earlier was only a year or two after that I saw all the hatred for it.
You only need to see their powerpoint presentation where they were making fun of the original DMC. The last pic is basically saying, "Ha ha, The Dante you like is a gay cowboy, how horrible."
Dga3EcvVQAA9jhS
Dga3IGTUwAEG3QO
Dga3RclU8AAWgO9

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot which is the best selling game in the franchise? Sure, that game sucked am I right? /s

I never played DmC.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
They were both great games in their own right?
Why do people do this shit now? The whole say a statement as a question thing, it's an idiotic trend, and it's pointless. Completely unrelated to this thread, but Christ the prevalence of this new trend is absolutely mind boggling in its stupidity.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both are actually pretty good? DmC has the edge for me just for how crazy it is visually and how the controls are much better than before, but TR is also very impressive on its own seeing how it manages to feel very original and TR-like while dabbling in more conventional shooter mechanics, and the traversal is very fun too. Thread seems to be backfiring lol.

andrespi

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb raider was the worst for me.

The new tomb raider reboot was awful for me, finished only the first one and had to force myself (started to get bored during the second half of story) to finish it, the second I only played half of it without finishing it and the third I refused to buy it and support them with my money after the first two which were so awful/boring.

Completely destroyed the franchise and didn't give me what I was hoping for a tomb raider, it went too much into open world bloating and action (which I don't like when thereis too much action), replace actual tomb raiding, platforming and exploration with killing hundreds of bad guys and removing any real sense of exploration; it's just hundreds of icons on huge boring open maps, everything clearly shown in a map and with clear indicators and with hundreds of bad guys to kill while moving, the very summary of what I consider boring in a game. I'm happy people like it, but for me it was awful. But I play so few big budget games nowadays since I don't like bloated open world games, so I'm not surprised that instead so many people liked it.

I juust wanted platforming, with very few human enemies, in large (but not open world) tombs and ruins while exploring them, possibly globe-throtting between levels (like in the original ones). They produced instead boring open world action games with very light actual "tomb raiding" and huge maps in one single location with too much shooting and too many useless icons and collectibles on maps.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
They are both good.

I juust wanted platforming, with very few human enemies, in large (but not open world) tombs and ruins while exploring them, possibly globe-throtting between levels (like in the original ones). They produced instead boring open world action games with very light actual "tomb raiding" and huge maps in one single location with too much shooting and too many useless icons and collectibles on maps.

The new TR games are not Open World at all??

May 26, 2018
Going off fan reaction? DMC's reboot. Thing was seen as abhorrent right off the bat by a TON of people, whereas Tomb Raider was like "well this is kind of interesting, maybe not every fans cup of tea but not horrible"

Though I will say that long term reactions feel different. TR's has gotten worse, I think, and DmC has become "that weirdo kid" after it's clear it wasn't the series's end and has had time to simmer.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people do this shit now? The whole say a statement as a question thing, it's an idiotic trend, and it's pointless. Completely unrelated to this thread, but Christ the prevalence of this new trend is absolutely mind boggling in its stupidity.
It's nothing to get angry about. It's a good way to use language.

The implication is that it's such an obvious statement that the user is questioning whether he's missed something obvious, whilst also conveying a sense of facetiousness.

It's quite an simple elegant way of getting that across really.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird thread. In particular, the Tomb Raider reboot got two sequels and has been fairly acclaimed critically, despite the last one kinda bombing due to a bad release date and the freshness being long gone (fatigue is a thing with this franchise, see Underworld or Tomb Raider Chronicles). The Devil May Cry reboot is probably more controversial, but the game is good, so...

andrespi

Oct 27, 2017
They are both good.

The new TR games are not Open World at all??
Ok, so how you want to call them open huge maps/hubs? The official trailer themselves call it open world . Even if it's not proper open world, they are still huge maps where you can move freely, not in a linear way with tons of collectibles. Maybe open world is not the proper term, but it's still huge maps and open world-exploration like. Most reviews even called it with many open world elements. It's true that it's not fully an open world game, but it has some open world elements. huge bloated maps with tons of collectibles where you move/traverse freely.

The very definition of open world from wikipedia: "
In video games, an open world is a virtual world in which the player can explore and approach objectives freely, as opposed to a world with more linear gameplay. .... ..... Games with open or free-roaming worlds typically lack the invisible walls and loading screens common in linear level designs. "

I just wanted more linear levels with much less shooting and a lot more environmental puzzles without bloated open maps. I just didn't want a millions of things/icons to do in huge boring maps that you can traverse freely connected by a hub.

Last edited:

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's nothing to get angry about. It's a good way to use language.

The implication is that it's such an obvious statement that the user is questioning whether he's missed something obvious, whilst also conveying a sense of facetiousness.

It's quite an simple elegant way of getting that across really.
It's absolutely not elegant, not in any sense or fashion whatsoever, its just asinine. Of course, that's just my opinion. I prefer to be direct with my assertions rather than passive and snide as I perceive such traits as cowardly, but hey we're all different. Internet folks are interesting.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
But the difference was mostly fan reaction.

A big part of Tomb Raider's success came from people who didn't like the old games, so that's not a good sign for being a good reboot.
Erm, arguably reboots are intended to open the series to newcomers, when the original series is speaking to an increasingly narrower audience. So I'd definitely consider that a good sign.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
DmC no doubts
TR reboot was definitely successful with 2 sequels, meanwhile DMC went back to the old universe already.