• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
i havent played the remastered versions, so i cant say anything about them, i only know that all the people talking about DmC were sooo wrong.
the game was a really great, gameplaywise. only thing i did not like about it was being 30fps and dante being such a shitty kid, but the end game content was just a pure bliss. loved it to death.
I dissagree, but i'm glad it made you so happy!

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
This is a decent comparison. Both controversial and not particularly popular with the original fans... But at the same time well received critically and with fans of their own. I prefer the originals in both series, so neither is a full success with me. Can't muster up the venom towards them some others do though.

What are some of the worst reboots of all time?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
DmC was a 30fps action game at launch.

30fps and you call DmC a good game at launch? lol
Yes and the vast majority of the world agrees with me.... The 30fps action game got better reviews than the previous 60fps devil may cry game.... So it was a good reboot as it did better than its predecessor..... And ninja theory at 30fps is not as janky as whatever you consider the bog standard 30fps experience is.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Both good games but for me Tomb Raider was the worse reboot, going too far away from the original Tomb Raider formula and turning into a mindless action game, with Lara suddenly becoming Rambo and mowing down hundreds and hundreds of generic bad guys.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
The mistake the new DmC did was the reveal
It poisoned the fanbase
Final product was pretty likeable if it got a better preview

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and the vast majority of the world agrees with me.... The 30fps action game got better reviews than the previous 60fps devil may cry game.... So it was a good reboot as it did better than its predecessor..... And ninja theory at 30fps is not as janky as whatever you consider the bog standard 30fps experience is.

There's wild accusations
1) if they did DMC5 wouldn't exist
2) The reviews mean nothing with character action games , fighting games, racing games and some other genre's expecting reviewers to understand is sort of futile. This is in combination with the fervor some reviewers had where they were mad at the fanbase for not taking to the game as warmly as they thought they should. Those same people mysteriously vanish when you bring up the homophobia and sexism that devs were participating in when showing off the game.
3) It actually didn't sell more than 4
4) It wasn't great at 30fps and 30fps is factually worse than 60. It just is

DMC5 threads are gonna be super interesting when they come out. Either a bunch of you all are just going to pretend DMC5 doesn't exist are going to be arguing how DmC was wasted Shit is gonna be interesting to watch

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is offensive

/s

But for real, both are great games/franchises. I really really liked DmC, Tomb Raider 2013 and Shadow, Rise not so much.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I actually really liked both. But I guess I'd have to say Tomb Raider since going back to that game is 10x harder for me (I got tired of crafting/hunting for upgrades a long time ago). Plus, while I haven't played them, my understanding is that Lara is still in the process of "becoming the Tomb Raider".

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It poisoned the fanbase
Nah
Part of the thing about character action games is selling people on the characters and the world and stuff. People wouldn't have bought the original DMC1 if it were all skinless polygons wth fun gameplay. There's characters and a aesthetic people enjoy. And DmC despite bringing genuinely good ideas to the table removed a great deal of what made DMC DMC in both the gameplay and the non gameplay. I don't think it would have went over well. I don't think there's a good preview. I think its just was a thing that was always gonna go over bad because it wasn't the best idea

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
I hated the new TR trilogy. It's soulless, devoid of any fun and Lara is just unlikeable as a protoganis whereas DmC is still my favorite game of the whole series.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Yes and the vast majority of the world agrees with me.... The 30fps action game got better reviews than the previous 60fps devil may cry game.... So it was a good reboot as it did better than its predecessor..... And ninja theory at 30fps is not as janky as whatever you consider the bog standard 30fps experience is

I don't give a crap about the reviewers, they litterally shitted on the fanbase promoting DmC because reasons.
High level play on DmC is trash compared to DMC4 and DMC3, regardless of reviews, do you really think reviewers are skilled enough to judge an action game? loool
DMC at 30fps is wrong, you can like it or not and i don't care.

Thank god this shit underperformed and we didn't get another crappy title from Ninja Theory.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite that horrible Lara Croft, Tomb Raider (2013) was good. DmC was trash, Rise was trash, Shadow was not bad game.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Tomb Raider. Both are good games but I think what bothered me about the TR reboot was the lack of originality. It takes a bunch of game designs from other popular mainstream titles and doesn't really do anything new with most of it. The puzzle design is also a joke. The one thing TR did great over a previous design was how Lara would pick up treasures and give a brief perspective or story based on her own knowledge of what the item was used for. It was more involving than Uncharted's treasure pickup and hearing the "DONG" noise. Sam was a cool character as well. But that was it. It's hard to be critical of a game that is competent in Metroidvania design, amazing to look at, and fun to play at times, but overall, it's just not what I wanted out of a TR game. I was mixed about Rise (the DLC is fantastic though) and I refuse to play SotTR because I think I'd hate it. At least with DmC, I thought it was a unique take on the DMC lore.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
DmC was great.

Dialog was edgy and cheesy, sometimes terrible, but it had a vision, great levels and encounters design, and very good gameplay mecanics. The transitions between realms were slick. The "corrupt media" level alone was worth the purchase. Had a blast with the game.

TR 2013 is the only one of the trilogy that you can see that they had a vision/were inspired. And even then, it had a lot of flaws: terrible script, terrible voice acting, terribly derivative and/or unninteresting characters (the irish sailor, the coward traitor, ugh).
The pacing was good and the gameplay was competent, but they had a lot to improve in the sequels and they didnt.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Neither, both of these games a great.

There it is. While I have major issues with Lara's "personality", particularly in the 2013 title, the level design and core gameplay is pretty excellent. Shadow's puzzles and combat were both better than Uncharted, don't @ me.

DmC was great fun as well, even with its cringey attitude.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'll say Tomb Raider, even though I don't particularly like the classic series. Game is just boring.

DMC is a great time, and the stuff people criticize it for (design, story) is way better than DMC 1-4.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I found both of the games great. But I never tried the older games till after and just couldn't play them.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It poisoned the fanbase
There always would have been backlash I think, but what they showed in 2010 looked really really bad. Strung out Dante looking absolutely horrible in the most edgy aesthetics ever.

Full game wasn't so much like that. Nu Dante was alright, I didn't mind the take on the character so much. Although I'd still count myself as one of the "angry" ones that it wasn't the DMC that I wanted.

At this stage tho I don't get the point in continuing to be angry* about it and as far as I'm concerned the game has found its place in the series, especially with the Definitive Edition.

*Although I'll never forgive what they did to Vergil
😠

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Tomb Raider was dead in the water at that point, and the reboot was pretty good. DMC however just had record sales and had a new story being set up with the Nero and Vergil stuff, but instead of continuing from that they just tossed it all in the trash to appeal to a western audience. DmC isn't bad, but the whole situation around it was.

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Both were great, imo. I admit that I never had any strong investment in the character or ongoing saga of Lara Croft in either the classic series or the new series, though -- Tomb Raider games almost never felt like they were narratively my style, new or old, and I personally much prefer the cover-shooter, Metroid-esque style gameplay to the stiffer, early-days-experimentation gameplay of most of the early Tomb Raider games. As far as DMC goes, I feel like the Dante/Vergil tragedy mixed with over the top action was handled fine in both takes on it, and while I really liked DMC1 for its genre groundbreaking, I didn't LOVE DMC until DMC3 grounded Dante's character into a more relateable figure with his coming-of-age against Vergil. I think the DmC version of Dante makes sense, even though I do admit that he can be grating sometimes, and they push a sense of "grimdark" just a bit too hard against their personal take on over-the-top demon-fighting action at times, but I still felt like they landed a good sense of action, drama, and atmosphere with DmC where it needed to count.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Both were good, although i wish DmC maybe stuck to just having the dante main character to stop everybody from complaining so it could have been the main franchise

Like serious the art style and enviornments in dmc are fucking incredible at times, way better then anything ive seen in my plays of the other games

Tomb raider was good, but i feel stuck to its guns a bit too much in regards to trying to be more appealing. Should have been like lost legacy with big environments and puzzles and treasures to explore

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. Both are pretty good games in their genres, both are hateable and obnoxious if you actually loved their original series.

I guess Tomb Raider Reboot is the one that actually betrayed its roots in every way possibile.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are quite a few people taking the OP as sturring the pot , rather than just making a thread about two video games that some people didn't like.

Oct 28, 2017
Tomb Raider 2013 is the best selling game in the series. It put the series back in the mainstream in a big way. Eyes were on the franchise for the first time since the PS1 era. It was also critically acclaimed and recieved the best reviews of any Tomb Raider since TR2.

The spin to paint it as bad is honestly embarrassing. And I'm as big of a classic TR fan as it gets.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Haven't played DmC, but Tomb Raider reboot was pretty bad imo. It had not much to do with the original, it was just a standard action game with Lara Croft as the main character.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
You are the worst reboot, OP >:|

Seriously, tho, I really liked both games. I have my gripes with the terrible humor in DmC, but I can't complain about it gameplay- or art direction-wise. And I have yet to play the Definitive Edition, which people say is even better.

TR2013 could have done more with tombs and exploration and puzzles instead of trying to compete with Uncharted in the excessive combat department. That got corrected a lot for me in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, tho.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider is fine, but DmC was better than the originals by miles.

DMC fans hated DmC on principle, they're not interested in the quality of the final game because they made up their mind before it came out.
Pretty much. I mean, some people have come around on it and can now see what that game was trying to actually be, but to this day (close to six years after its launch) lots of folks simply write it off for no reason other than "not muh DMC". Alas, these people make it fairly easy to push the ignore button.
It poisoned the fanbase
Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and place the responsability for the actions of rabid fans on rabid fans themselves. I mean, people sent death threats to Ninja Theory. People can voice their criticism without resorting to trolling or worse, these people clearly don't know their place.

Lauscher

Nov 13, 2017
I have to agree with the neither posts.
As a big DMC fan I was amongst the DmC haters pre release and I'm still glad we are going back to the original style with DMCV. But it bought it anyway to support the franchise and ended up liking it pretty much as just an action game. If it would have been a new IP i would have loved it.

Before TR2013 I had never played a TR game. I was pretty hyped for it and loved it to pieces. I also absolutly loved the multiplayer, yes we exist :P In my opinion it was also the best one of the trilogy. While the later games improved the gameplay in some areas the story especially the pacing got worse… Also maybe an unpopular opinion but having recently played Uncharted 4 I think on the gameplay side the TR reboot games are much better.

Last edited:

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
DmC and first TR reboot were both great games. I was surprised at how much i actually enjoyed DmC after all that fucking hate.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Tomb Raider is fine, but DmC was better than the originals by miles.

DMC fans hated DmC on principle, they're not interested in the quality of the final game because they made up their mind before it came out.

I consider myself a DMC fan and, though I've always thought DmC was inferior in combat depth to other entries (say...DMC4), I loved that game. Please don't assume all DMC fans are like that