• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Tomb Raider's level design severely regressed with each installment following the reboot. I'm also not fond getting rid of the exotic/outrageous enemy types and platforming in favor of shooting endless waves of nobodies. Rise got better at servicing the platforming but managed to bloat the level design by adding meaningless open-endedness to the levels, that are now hubs for some fucking reason. And the tombs/puzzles just didn't get better.

So, as someone who found those games to be dull and undercooked, DmC is the better reboot to me. DmC has an art direction I sincerely appreciate and while the combat design has regressed in comparison to 4 it is still, without a shadow of a doubt, the best action game a western game developer can produce.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Complete nonsense. DmC has a 94% user review rating on Steam. It is literally the highest rated game in the series on that service with more reviews than the others combined.

It never got a followup because Ninja Theory was busy doing other stuff and Capcom was not entirely confident in that particular direction for the brand or the value of the series in general (I personally cannot blame them). If DmC did not do good we would have not gotten the Definitive Edition this gen, also. Games very rarely get upgraded re-releases like that. It is certainly not a failure of a game, just an awkward experiment.

We know that DmC missed its sales target (it was supposed to do better than DMC4) and failed to expand the series' audience. It wasn't a colossal failure, but still didn't do what Capcom wanted. The DE happened because it was a cheap way to fill Capcom's software line-up (they also re-released DMC4 and the DMC1-2-3 collection).

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Both two highly notorious and controversial. Both high profile series. Both were a try to take the series in a darker direction and were divisive. Which do you think was worse?

In other news, two weeks left until DMC5.

"Both two highly notorious and controversial" lmfao you gotta get off the fucking internet man

Beyond an exclusivity stint that left as quickly as it came who the hell was brewing controversy over fucking Tomb Raider beyond weirdo imageboard goons who got laughs out of the direction the reboot took?

DmC's "controversy" sure yeah you have a point but Tomb Raider? An inoffensive reboot of a series that people stopped caring about anyway after the Legend trilogy? You gotta be joking

Like consider this: I didn't give a shit about the content of your OP, I merely answered based on how I felt about both games but when I saw people clowning on you I had to see what's up. You went on to say that dumbass shit as if you had an INCLING of what the word controversy meant lmfaoooooooooooooooooooooo

Maybe!

Maybe!

Maybe get off the marketing high of a game releasing, drink some water and use some foresight before you post again

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
What even is this thread? Both were great. DmC is literally my favorite DMC game and the TR games have been solid (Rise is fantastic).

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She is not having an orgasm.
jf4Ox9y.gif

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
What an absurdly hostile premise, both were great games. If what you intended to ask is "which is the least faithful reboot", then ok, tomb raider since it changed a lot of the gameplay.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I love both of them.

But I think TR got sequels that are not on par with TR2013.
TR2013 was more focused. Rise and Shadow opened up too much with filler and too much RPG stuff

And Dante is cocky and edgy as f* in both DMC and DmC

Oct 25, 2017
DmC.
Both of them are alright, but Tomb Raider 2013 was legit.
DmC's first showing was terrible until the Definitive Edition came about. It's no comparison.
Also, Reboot Lara is still great. Donte on the otherhand...lmfao.

And Dante is cocky and edgy as f* in both DMC and DmC
Not the same. Dante is endearing in his silly cockiness, but there are other layers to his character.
The other fella is channeling DMC4 Nero but with way more edge.
Dante and Donte are nothing alike.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Both are good. The nu-Tomb Raider trilogy kinda evens out at fine, but I really enjoyed DmC.

That's not to say I don't have gripes with either -- particularly when it comes to the leads -- but the hate for both has always seemed overblown, personally.

Ligero

Oct 27, 2017
DMC was a good game, just had the series baggage weighing it down. TR2013 was a great game, and spawned another series, so...neither? Technically DMC was worse but just because TR2013 is actually a fantastic game.

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
We know that DmC missed its sales target (it was supposed to do better than DMC4) and failed to expand the series' audience. It wasn't a colossal failure, but still didn't do what Capcom wanted. The DE happened because it was a cheap way to fill Capcom's software line-up (they also re-released DMC4 and the DMC1-2-3 collection).

Calling something a failure to a company shouldn't constitute a failure to the consumers.

It was a success to those that enjoyed it and according to the user reviews on steam it did succeed there.

People are putting WAY too much weight on sales. The only time they should effect you is if a sequel is canned for numbers, in this case a sequel was hardly on the books if at all.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Complete nonsense. DmC has a 94% user review rating on Steam. It is literally the highest rated game in the series on that service with more reviews than the others combined.

It never got a followup because Ninja Theory was busy doing other stuff and Capcom was not entirely confident in that particular direction for the brand or the value of the series in general (I personally cannot blame them). If DmC did not do good we would have not gotten the Definitive Edition this gen, also. Games very rarely get upgraded re-releases like that. It is certainly not a failure of a game, just an awkward experiment.
Here's hoping Capcom, Microsoft and Ninja Theory can maybe work out making a DmC2. It'd be pretty great to see how they mature this spin-off, IMO.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DmC was weak when compared to DMC3&4, but it still was a good game on it´s own and very enjoyable. I beat every difficulty and even got the DLC.
I couldn´t even manage to finish a single playthrough of Tomb Raider and I completely hated the new way they took the little gameplay that remains there.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Tomb Raider. DmC had problems but it at least added things I liked such as a dynamic soundtrack, camera that didn't drive me mad, and a training room. Whereas Tomb Raider just took everything I liked about the series out.

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
They're both great games and two of my favorites of the last generation. The DmC hate especially is just so absurd.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
DmC was pretty much tailor-made to piss off fans of the previous games, especially that whole "Dante is a gay cowboy lul" presentation or saying he would get kicked out of any bar he visited.

I don't remember Tomb Raider doing anything similar.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Well I'll be sure never to ask Era about their opinions on the DMC franchise. I freaking loved DmC and it brought me back to the entire series after feeling a little burnt out with 4.

Only reason I'm playing 5 is because they're actually progressing the story instead of making it before DMC2 again, though I guess now 4 is after 2 instead of before.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DmC by far.

Not like pre-reboot Lara wasn't murdering and stealing everything in her path too

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Tomb Raider reboot was highly successful and widely regarded as phenomenal. DMC is the only one that was divisive, the anti-TR reboot crowd is a minority of a minority.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played DMC but I love the Tomb Raider reboot. I find those games better than the Uncharted ones.

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
DmC caused the series to get un-rebooted. Tomb Raider got sequels.

Gonna say it's DmC.

This

DmC was pretty much tailor-made to piss off fans of the previous games, especially that whole "Dante is a gay cowboy lul" presentation or saying he would get kicked out of any bar he visited.

I don't remember Tomb Raider doing anything similar.

And this. DmC is the worse reboot by far. TR2013 was actually good.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Well we found him, we found the guy who finds Tomb Raider 'controversial'
I would say it's more that I think that they're fine games that don't really establish an identity of their own, and beyond the protagonist being Lara Croft I found them to bear little in common with previous Tomb Raider games. Perhaps if I was a hardcore fan of the series I might find them "controversial", but mostly I'm just the guy who liked the first two Core games and Anniversary quite a bit, as well as aspects of Underworld, and the new Tomb Raider games just didn't scratch that same itch. They're not bad video games by any means, just not what I was looking for and that's one of the reasons I haven't played Shadow.

Pertaining more to the thread topic, I actually liked TR13 and Rise quite a bit more than DmC, but I think DmC is much closer in spirit to what Devil May Cry is as a series than the new Tomb Raider games are to their series.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I like the rebooted Tomb Raider games just fine. They're well made and could in theory stand among the best in their genre. The only trouble is that I find it so hard to get invested in these games. They just lack any sort of flavour or hook. I'd have a decent time when I was playing, but it was hard for me to pick the game up once I quit for the day. I beat the first one, but Rise of the Tomb Raider remains unfinished, and it's hard to articulate why. I just have to push myself to care, and that's never a good sign. Not sure if I could tell you much about the first game or the 8 hours I put into Rise of the Tomb Raider though.

DmC on the other hand, had the opposite problem. I didn't like the writing or characterisation, and the gameplay didn't click with me as it did in prior entries. I just think it was a worse game than most of what came before it. What it did have though, was a sense of identity. I had no issues at all with motivating myself to pick the game back up the following day. I didn't like it all that much in the end, but I beat it and it's something I'll pretty easily remember.

Just goes to show that video games are more than just the sum of their parts. My gut reaction was DmC is worse, but something I consider merely "consumable" and forgettable might be worse after all. I didn't even bother paying attention to Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I'd still look at anything Devil May Cry.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
DmC was worse for me. Though I only felt it was decent at best, I wouldn't argue I disliked it.

Wasn't a fan of the new Dante, or the writing throughout the game. A couple bright spots, but a lot of cringe as I played. The new combat worked alright, but felt less freeform and focused on specific counters to certain enemy types that kind of made the whole thing feel like a reactive puzzle instead of adaptive. Just got really tired of it as I progressed. Still had a decent time playing through it though. If anything, several friends that couldn't get into the old DMC titles really fell for this new one, so it resonated for sure with an audience. Just not me.

TR2013 had some flaws as well, I wasn't personally a fan of a lack of proper tombs. The combat felt overbearing and too prominent. Most of the exploration amounted to collecting numerous trinkets on a scavenger hunt, and Lara arguably also was too apologetic and willing to take blame for externalities out of her control, which was a bit groan-inducing. Yet the progression was thrilling. Creative setpieces, lots of chaos, gorgeous visuals, and I couldn't stop playing until 100%(even then I didn't want it to end). Shame, I felt Rise was such a terrible followup though.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
If anything, several friends that couldn't get into the old DMC titles really fell for this new one, so it resonated for sure with an audience. Just not me.

I was going to ask if anyone knows someone or is that person who played DmC but not the old games and didn't like it? Or played the old DMC games didn't like them but liked DmC?

A garbled sentence but I'm sure it makes some sense!

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Had no affection for their respective series, so I liked both, but I liked DmC more. So TR would be my pick here?

Edit:
I was going to ask if anyone knows someone or is that person who played DmC but not the old games and didn't like it? Or played the old DMC games didn't like them but liked DmC?

A garbled sentence but I'm sure it makes some sense!
This would be me.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Both seemed to be pretty good. And people had to put headphones on to avoid people hearing Laura? lol - If you can't play games in front of your SO...I don't know what to tell ya.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a dumbass topic and you should be ashamed of yourself. Fuckin Era.
Both DmC and Tomb Raider where amazing games. Get over yourself.