• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
Massive massive massive Nintendo Fan here, like Nintendo is my life, but for the life of me, it just didn't work out for me.

Thoughts? Worst Controller of all time?

latest

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly did not grow up in the era of trash third party controllers, virtually all of which are worse than the perfectly workable Wii U gamepad.

energon

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike the stick placement of Sony controllers. I have a PS4, but I always have to readjust my finger placement on the stick during gameplay. Gets super annoying.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
For systems/controllers that I used more than a hundred hours or so, definitely the OG Xbox controller (imported an S controller as soon as they hit Japan), and the Wii U gamepad, which is one of those things that is so bad in retrospect that you look back and wonder how it happened like that.

The N64 controller isn't great either, those analog sticks turned to powder so quickly and the sticks got grindy.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In before people knock the N64 controller for 3 prongs. In retrospect it looks a little silly, but I think it's low hanging fruit considering the control stick was unproven at the time.

I could take the easy route and say the CDI remote or something similar, but I imagine you're looking for controllers of relevant consoles. The Xbox Duke is almost comically oversized, I also don't really understand why the Dreamcast controller is as big as it is, and is kind of in an awkward in-between generation design.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Among first party, standard issue controllers, the original Xbox monstrosity, no contest. Wii U pad was kind of clunky but at least it had a justification for being so.

Ever? Probably this thing

telstar+arcade+1.jpeg

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's not even close to the worst. Not even among Nintendo's own products. The Virtual Boy controller was bad just by virtue of it being tethered to that red and black nightmare headset.

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube.

-Missing a bumper.
-One of the sticks is literally a pencil eraser
-The other stick has a bunch of rings on it. Feels bad man.
-Looks like a fisher price toy

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In here to tell anyone who says the GCN controller that they are Objectively Wrong

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the Colecovision controller, and this is from someone who owned two of those systems when they were new...
FT5APN8HFD17Y5N.MEDIUM.jpg

Like, how am I supposed to enjoy Gorf with that joystick?

But then my friend had an Intellivision, which was even worse!
controller1.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U gamepad is pretty great in terms of ergonomics. In fact I'd say it is hands down more comfortable than the Switch in tablet mode. Is it a hollow piece of Fisher Price plastic? Sure. But that bulk allowed for it to be comfortably molded.

My only criticism of that device as a controller (not as a tablet or handled console) is that the right and left bumper require a bit of reach.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Always thought the PS1 controller was trash. Analogue controls helped immensely with future iterations but originally I thought it was weak sauce compared to the N64 and FPS heaven.

Playing Quake( or Doom I can't remember) with a multitap for 4 players I was like wtf is this shit?

Then years later I had to convince the same group of friends to hook up 4 GBA with link cables to a Gamecube for Crystal Chronicles. Think we bought the peripherials and played it once.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
The N64 controller was horrible just because you couldn't reach all the inputs without switching handles (or whatever those were).

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Thought the Wii U gamepad wasn't actually that bad in comparison to most of their other stuff. It was actually comfortable to use which I don't feel was the case with Wii, Gamecube or the N64. Even their handhelds have been kind of questionable, the right nub on the n3DS is awful and lack of dpad on Switch sucks

PS1 controller without the sticks just feels wrong.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of odd ones early on before the NES more or less established the base from which controllers would evolve. The Atari Jaguar's was pretty terrible and by then designers should have known better.
220px-Atari-Jaguar-Controller.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The master system is a retangular cube. it has 8 POINTS that pierces your skin.

And the Jaguar one because seriously ?
(the modular idea was cool. The execution was shitty)

GoronsRuby

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a controller but I hate playing anything even semi-complex on the 3DS. My hands and wrists cramp up like a son of a bitch. Metroid Samus Returns was a pain to get through, even though I liked the game. Monster Hunter 4 was unplayable.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast is the worst 1st party controller since the original NES. Triggers were painful after awhile.

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch and it's Joy-Cons in handheld mode feels absolutely awful to me compared to the Wii U Gamepad which feels much more comfortable especially in any kind of extended gaming session. I'm just shocked at how bad and uncomfortable the former feels overall which is just another reason why it will remain used as a traditional Nintendo console for playing classic franchises on a TV with the Pro Controller.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
The master system is a retangular cube. it has 8 POINTS that pierces your skin.

And the Jaguar one because seriously ?
(the modular idea was cool. The execution was shitty)
The Master System also had the interesting design of putting a pause button on the console itself.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The DS4 should be chucked in to the sun just for its shitty battery life.

Awful battery life indeed. I bought a new one recently to replace my previous (1 year old) controller and somehow the new one has even worse battery life than the last one. I could RMA it but shipping to the repair center is 25% the cost of the controller.

Also adding in the WiiU gamepad. Terrible for big hands, plus input lag in my setup (yes I have lots of wifi devices nearby), and just uncomfortable for platformers like Mario. I honestly thought 3D world had broken controls until I received a Pro controller as a gift and suddenly I was a champ beating level after level.