• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
The DS/3DS.

These aren't portable gaming units, they're Guantanamo torture devices

Getting PTSD from remembering my play-through of Kid Icarus Uprsing :shudders:
God that was painful.

71J1HR8ACGL.gif

Even as a kid I knew this controller was hot garbage.

RoslindaleOne

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Jaguar controller really isn't that bad. I owned a Jaguar back when it first came out and still have it. The numerical pad was neat because some games came with insert cards that showed what the button you pressing did. Check it out on youtube sometime. The pad below is way worse than the Jaguar controller.
Getting PTSD from remembering my play-through of Kid Icarus Uprsing :shudders:
God that was painful.

71J1HR8ACGL.gif

If I'm not mistaken, this came packaged with Mortal Kombat 2 for PC. It's probably the worst controller I ever used. If not, definitely top 3.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Recently, I have not been a fan of the Switch Pro controller, that D-Pad on it is awful and makes playing something like Puyo-Puyo/Tetris with the d-pad impossible since you get a phantom Up-Press every once in awhile that completely messes up your tetris grid.

It was also pretty bad with what little I've played of Ultra Street Fighter as well. For £60, I expected better.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Massive massive massive Nintendo Fan here, like Nintendo is my life, but for the life of me, it just didn't work out for me.

Thoughts? Worst Controller of all time?

Yeah...I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but could not buy the WiiU because I couldn't get over how big and chunky that tablet controller was.

Me trying out the WiiU at Gamestop multiple times:
"Oh man what a great game let me try it out...WHAT IS THIS BRICK OH IT'S THE CONTROLLER...Really?"

Oct 27, 2017
I had this Thrustmaster pad that I played a majority of my emulated games on back then and the D-pad was complete ass.

144624.jpg

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
my hands are big and sweaty, the ds and 3ds formfactor was a complete and total disaster for me, the duke on the other hand was fucking perfection for my hands

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Even here (well GAF previously) during the discussions of twin-stick origins GoldenEye's dual controller mode is something people often needed to be informed actually exists.
One of my points above was The N64 pad already had a second directional input by default - the c-buttons were even named as so, to be seen as a 'camera dpad'.

Goldeneye's dual analogue option was really just a straight analogue extension of 1.2 Solitaire control method, which was the Turok control default too. Typically it meant the 'sticks' (stick+dpad in this case) were reversed with the left one being the look, since as WASD has shown us analogue control is more necessary for look than movement.

But these things were IMO still on the fringes at the time Sega designed the DC pad. It was still an omission, as a separate camera control for 3D platformers had clearly been demonstrated to be valuable by Nintendo (and as mentioned soon shamelessly cribbed by everyone else). But their market research probably showed it was still misunderstood by the general audience, and they needed something more easily comprehended.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Wii Remote. It was revolutionary at the time, but it actively made lots of games, even SNES ones, simply unplayable. Playing Smash Bros with it is torture. Glad the Switch Joycon is actually decent for playing a wider range of games.

Seph

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There are two types of Era posters: those who believe that the N64 controller is the ultimate catastrophe of ergonomic design, and liars.

The Steam Controller.

I find it to be useless. Bad for 3rd and 1st person games as well as emulators. I regret buying one.
I just can't get on with the Steam controller at all, the stroking motion on a controller just feels wrong, its not precise enough and doesn't feel natural in most FPS situations for the "mouse-look" replacement.
Steam controller is trashiest modern pad
The Steam controller is the worst thing I've ever tried to use. Everything about it feels bad and it gets nothing right (other than the flappers on the back, which are neat).
You heathens need to experience gyro-driving in DiRT Rally, pronto!

For real, though: the Steampad may be naff in a few aspects, but the gyroscope completely saves it. I recall winning a CSGO game (at around MG2-level) with my Steampad after I set the gyroscope up to work in tandem with the right-hand trackpad while aiming.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
My mate got the Gamecube chainsaw controller with Resi4 back in the day. I found it truly awful, but he persevered and somehow grew to enjoy using it.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
One of my points above was The N64 pad already had a second directional input by default - the c-buttons were even named as so, to be seen as a 'camera dpad'.

Goldeneye's dual analogue option was really just a straight analogue extension of 1.2 Solitaire control method, which was the Turok control default too. Typically it meant the 'sticks' (stick+dpad in this case) were reversed with the left one being the look, since as WASD has shown us analogue control is more necessary for look than movement.

But these things were IMO still on the fringes at the time Sega designed the DC pad. It was still an omission, as a separate camera control for 3D platformers had clearly been demonstrated to be valuable by Nintendo (and as mentioned soon shamelessly cribbed by everyone else). But their market research probably showed it was still misunderstood by the general audience, and they needed something more easily comprehended.

I'm not contending the c-buttons being designated camera controls, but the point is they were just that, buttons. When looking to emulate their functionality, others just mapped them to to the typical B,C,Y & Z placements because along with the N64's A & B buttons being located where you'd usually find A and X, that was how they were arranged, and so didn't require a significant overhaul to controller design. If they N64 had a c-stick in the first place, then Sega probably would have considered it more important to include, but GoldenEye by and large didn't sell the concept of a dual-analog configuration, and it wasn't even employed at all in Nintendo's next big first person offering for that purpose. The c-buttons had primarily been demonstrated to pan or toggle positions for an external camera, which typically didn't require the precision of an analog stick (L and R buttons having served a similar purpose).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saddened by the number of people listing the Steam Controller here.
It may not be perfect, but it's a huge leap forward for controller design compared to dual-analog control.

Part of the problem seems to be that there's a learning curve for using it, and people expect to pick it up and be good with a new input method immediately - ignoring that they've potentially had 20 years of adapting to dual-analog controllers.

Although I've never touched it, but the PS3 boomerang looked to me like it could've been comfortable too.
slctnqr2ku0f.jpg
The PS3 'boomerang' may have been comfortable, but the majority of gamers are very resistant to change when it comes to input devices - even if it's for the better.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never quite understand the hatred the Jaguar controller gets. It's not the best controller in the world but it fits in my hands nicely and doesn't ever get uncomfortable. My main issue with it is that ABC order is reversed from a Sega Genesis so it can cause some confusion with screen prompts.

My least favorite controller is probably the Saturn 3D Pad.

saturn3dpadfrontqkula.jpg

It's too big and the analog stick just never felt right to me. The buttons don't feel good either.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dual Shock 3 is brittle plastic trash and its unacceptable that it was ever sold.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
71J1HR8ACGL.gif

I have so many memories of playing Neo*Geo games with this thing, holy shit. I should hunt one down on eBay and see if it holds a candle to my Saturn pad.

Also, anything with Retrolink on it is guaranteed to be shit.
pc_retrolinksnes.jpg

Part of the problem seems to be that there's a learning curve for using it, and people expect to pick it up and be good with a new input method immediately - ignoring that they've potentially had 20 years of adapting to dual-analog controllers.

That's exactly the problem with the Steam Controller: You have to fuck with it for a while before you get comfortable with the thing, on a platform that already has the best controls for ever game. That is, unless you have a PC in the living room, and either can't play certain genres or hate playing certain genres with a more traditional controller.

Last edited:

flak57

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not contending the c-buttons being designated camera controls, but the point is they were just that, buttons. When looking to emulate their functionality, others just mapped them to to the typical B,C,Y & Z placements because along with the N64's A & B buttons being located where you'd usually find A and X, that was how they were arranged, and so didn't require a significant overhaul to controller design. If they N64 had a c-stick in the first place, then Sega probably would have considered it more important to include, but GoldenEye by and large didn't sell the concept of a dual-analog configuration, and it wasn't even employed at all in Nintendo's next big first person offering for that purpose. The c-buttons had primarily been demonstrated to pan or toggle positions for an external camera, which typically didn't require the precision of an analog stick (L and R buttons having served a similar purpose).

Pretty weird debate. Most DC FPS had kb+m controls, they couldn't be improved to this day.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The Saturn offered some bad and the very best.

Not the worst but bad and bulky, I hated the first western incarnation of the Saturn controller.
784px-Saturnpad2.jpg

A terrible wrong idea while the Japan already had the perfection of controller design in their hands. Fortunately it was addressed eventually and the Japanese design adopted worldwide.
The thing making that controller horrible is the shoulder buttons. They have such a discrete click sound do them, and barely ANY travel, that I many times have to look for a screen response to be able to tell if I'm even pressing them. What were they thinking?

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
The thing making that controller horrible is the shoulder buttons. They have such a discrete click sound do them, and barely ANY travel, that I many times have to look for a screen response to be able to tell if I'm even pressing them. What were they thinking?

The shoulder buttons were definitely the worst thing about that controller... but it's not like even if they were fixed it'd be decent. That d-pad was frankly stupid as well.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The shoulder buttons were definitely the worst thing about that controller... but it's not like even if they were fixed it'd be decent. That d-pad was frankly stupid as well.
I'm not fond of the d-pad either, no, but I have to say I've grown to accept it. I've been playing a lot of shoot 'em up with that d-pad without any difficulties at all. I obviously prefer the japanese version with a great d-pad but so does everyone else around here so we have to take turns playing with the "crappy" one when playing multi. :)

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
dims

Microsoft Sidewinder dual strike from 1999.

Tried to come up with a way to play like a mouse and keyboard but before dual analogue sticks.

Was way too slow and inaccurate.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saddened by the number of people listing the Steam Controller here.
It may not be perfect, but it's a huge leap forward for controller design compared to dual-analog control.

The PS3 'boomerang' may have been comfortable, but the majority of gamers are very resistant to change when it comes to input devices - even if it's for the better.

Yup. The Steam controller is great if you take your time to get used to it.

I've got my computer hooked it to my TV and it's the only thing I use to play PC games.