Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'll start with Alien 3

image_12303476.jpeg

"Yes, Ripley saved her friends and escaped the Alien infested planet but they all died off screen and now she's alone again in another planet with a loose Alien that somehow escaped with her"

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Ghostbusters 2?

"Yes, the Ghostbusters stopped a 50 foot Marshmellow Man stomping through New York seen by thousands of people, but now everyone somehow thinks they're frauds again and they're broke."

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Master Chief defeated the covenant and elites are friendly now but not this random subsection of the covenant????

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Yes Master Chief defeated the covenant and elites are friendly now but not this random subsection of the covenant????
Halo is the top dog when it comes to this. Master Chief literally saves the universe in 4 and becomes fucking Jesus. But in 5 he's in big twubble and has a team of idiots hunting him to bring him to justice. For what? Read the in-between novels to find out!

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not and will never understand the people who thinks that opening bit ruins Alien3. A lifeboat doesn't mean you'll survive, you'll just have a better chance. It feels thematically appropriate to me with all of the shit that Ripley has had to go through that her effort to rescue and save people never manages to work in the end.

Alien3 has a million other problems but I don't think that is one of them.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
MiB 2.

"Yes, Tommy Lee Jones got his happy ending and we set up Linda Fiorentino to be Will Smith's new partner, but we decided women aren't marketable so we brought back Agent K with an extremely convoluted side plot that burdens this already meandering slog of a script with even more bloat and bad jokes about aliens with balls on their chins."

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The entirety of the Resident Evil films

Yes Alice was a random Umbrella employee and Umbrella had no idea why Alice bonded to the T virus and the hive along with Raccoon City was nuked to contain the virus which was released by a guy planning to steal it and sell it, but actually Alice was a clone of the founder of Umbrella's daughter this whole time, the virus was made for her, it was actually released on purpose, there was an entire cryo chamber of people in the hive, there was a cure for the zombies this whole time, and the world became Mad Max anyway

Yes this movie opened with showing the infection spread in Japan but that was actually just a simulation being run in Umbrella's arctic base and not the real Japan

Yes Wesker rescued Alice from the Red Queen in the arctic but the Red Queen was working for Wesker the entire time

Yes Jorah Mormont got killed in the 3rd movie but actually that was a clone, and not just a clone, a clone of Umbrella's co-founder who no one recognized, and also there was a 2nd clone

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I do not and will never understand the people who thinks that opening bit ruins Alien3. A lifeboat doesn't mean you'll survive, you'll just have a better chance. It feels thematically appropriate to me with all of the shit that Ripley has had to go through that her effort to rescue and save people never manages to work in the end.

Probably more that Newt and Hicks are great characters and having them interact with the prisoners in A3 would've added layers, even if they were killed.

Alien and Aliens try to hammer home that Ripley isn't particularly special, just practical and brave, and having her randomly be the only surviving pod (even after getting egged) goes against that.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'll start with Alien 3

image_12303476.jpeg

"Yes, Ripley saved her friends and escaped the Alien infested planet but they all died off screen and now she's alone again in another planet with a loose Alien that somehow escaped with her"

I will stan for Alien 3 till the day I die. It is bleak and cruel and the Alien is once again relentless and near unstoppable. Of all the Alien related films, it is the only one to get even remotely close to the original in how it feels.

I think Resurrection fits the OP even better. Ripley loses and/or sacrifices everything to stop this creature and those that would exploit it only to be cloned and have to do the shit all over again. It completely invalidates the struggles, loss, and ultimate sacrifice of Ripley.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
MiB 2.

"Yes, Tommy Lee Jones got his happy ending and we set up Linda Fiorentino to be Will Smith's new partner, but we decided women aren't marketable so we brought back Agent K with an extremely convoluted side plot that burdens this already meandering slog of a script with even more bloat and bad jokes about aliens with balls on their chins."
You leave the Ballchinians out of this...they're so pure!

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Samus is the most powerful bounty hunter with a wide array of knowledge, technology and weapons, but she keeps forgetting everything in her other pair of pants at the start of every game.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Did somebody say Toy Story 3 to 4?

Yes, Andy decided that making a little girl happy by giving her his favorite childhood toy was more important than him holding on to him for sentimental values but never getting use out of him. Yes, the little girl seems really happy to have this cowboy toy. YES, Andy stresses just how god damn important this cowboy toy is as he closes the movie with a sentimental goodbye between toys and their owner.

BUT we need Woody to leave the gang by the end and kids are fickle and have short attention spans so fuck Woody, Bonny has other stuff to care about.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind this too much as The Covenant were a religious organisation as well as a political one and there are always going to be hard liners unwilling to accept the compromises of peace.

However, they should have become an occasional enemy not the main focus.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
This is just every monster movie that gets sequels.

Yes, Dracula/Godzilla/The Mummy/Whoever got killed/sealed away/whatever by the good guys, but they had a son/they didn't actually die/there was a second one.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably more that Newt and Hicks are great characters and having them interact with the prisoners in A3 would've added layers, even if they were killed.

Alien and Aliens try to hammer home that Ripley isn't particularly special, just practical and brave, and having her randomly be the only surviving pod (even after getting egged) goes against that.
I don't think her surviving pod really makes her "special," just maybe lucky (or unlucky in how Alien3 plays out). It might have been more interesting if one of the other characters would've survived instead of Ripley though.

I'll also concede that it's been a while since I've seen Alien3, so maybe I need to watch it again and see how it all works.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

I think the issue is, if that's the story, then make that the movie! It's so much more compelling that the actual product (which I admit, I don't hate).

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Yes, Andy decided that making a little girl happy by giving her his favorite childhood toy was more important than him holding on to him for sentimental values but never getting use out of him. Yes, the little girl seems really happy to have this cowboy toy. YES, Andy stresses just how god damn important this cowboy toy is as he closes the movie with a sentimental goodbye between toys and their owner.

BUT we need Woody to leave the gang by the end and kids are fickle and have short attention spans so fuck Woody, Bonny has other stuff to care about.

I agree

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but everything was actually nanomachines.

I don't think I'll be able to replay MGS4 anytime soon, but at the time it really felt like everything was nanomachines. In fact, the premise could apply more than once to MGS4.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This is a stealth Last Jedi thread, isn't it?
I thought ROS

"Rey's parents are nobodies and she will have to decide who she is... but she's actually Palpatine's grandaughter"
"The new emperor is dead and an unstable young man is leading the order...but Palpatine's back"
"Rey has accepted the predatory Kylo Ren is a bad person... but she's in love with Ben"

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Pretty much the entire X-men movie franchise after 3.

I never read the Lost World novel, but I recall hearing that Crichton got pushed to do a sequel, because of the movie's success..if I'm not mistaken at least one character that died in the original book got revived for the sequel.

Edit - never seen them, but I can't imagine the Taken sequels have good motivation.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Wreck-It Ralph 2

Yes, Vanelope found out that she's actually the main character of her game and is now happy so everything is cool now. BUT we need to shoehorn a forced "friends go their separate ways" plotline into the sequel so, uh, now she doesn't like her game anymore and the other racers don't like her again because reasons.

Hate that movie. Same with Toy Story 4.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

The lifepod bit wasn't the issue, it was the fact that there was an alien egg somehow stowed on board. We saw where the Alien Queen was the entire time after it revealed itself in the hangar bay in the previous movie. At no point could it have scrambled to some room, presumably near the cryochambers, laid an egg (which should be impossible without its birthing tube) and stuck it to the ceiling without anyone knowing. The whole situation that caused the emergency lifepod ejection is contrived as fuck.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought ROS

"Rey's parents are nobodies and she will have to decide who she is... but she's actually Palpatine's grandaughter"
"The new emperor is dead and an unstable young man is leading the order...but Palpatine's back"
"Rey has accepted the predatory Kylo Ren is a bad person... but she's in love with Ben"
Then there's Force awakens

"We defeated the empire, but there's this split force that's exactly like the empire and has even bigger resources and they're also lead by a mysterious cloaked figure"

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
This is a stealth Last Jedi thread, isn't it?

No, surely the thread is made for Rise of Skywalker.

Yes the Emperor died, but actually he didn't.
Yes Zorri died, but actually she didn't.
Yes Chewie died, but actually he didn't.
Yes C-3PO lost his memory, but actually he didn't.
Yes Rey's parents were nobodies, but actually they weren't.
Yes Rey is strong with the Force, but only because she's a Palpatine.
Yes Kylo killed Snoke, but now he is taking orders from a different withered old man.
Yes Luke Skywalker had a miraculous return, but nobody noticed.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought ROS

No, surely the thread is made for Rise of Skywalker.

Yes the Emperor died, but actually he didn't.
Yes Zorri died, but actually she didn't.
Yes Chewie died, but actually he didn't.
Yes C-3PO lost his memory, but actually he didn't.
Yes Rey's parents were nobodies, but actually they weren't.
Yes Rey is strong with the Force, but only because she's a Palpatine.
Yes Kylo killed Snoke, but now he is taking orders from a different withered old man.
Yes Luke Skywalker had a miraculous return, but nobody noticed.

I agree that Rise of Skywalker did it worse, but Last Jedi started the back and forth.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Ghostbusters 2?

"Yes, the Ghostbusters stopped a 50 foot Marshmellow Man stomping through New York seen by thousands of people, but now everyone somehow thinks they're frauds again and they're broke."

In fairness, they are broke because they got blamed for the damage caused :P

the fraud thing is weird though... but given how people are reacting to covid right now in the US, is it really shocking to believe people still wouldn't believe a skyscraper sized marshmallow man and portal to another dimension actually happened?

Perfectly believable!

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yu-Gi-Oh%21_The_Dark_Side_of_Dimensions_Poster.png

"Yes Yugi defeated the Pharaoh with his wit and strategy thus proving that he doesn't need ancient Egyptian magic to be the King of Games BUT this new enemy is like really hard and Yugi can barely touch him with his strategies until the Pharaoh comes back and one shots him with the Magical BS we were told wasn't needed anymore"

Fuck this movie, I can't believe GX was more respectful of this idea than Takahashi

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

I thought this was a good example, Bonny makes her own toy and is still experimenting and discovering her own imagination. Maybe Andy (and the audience) shouldn't assume Bonny has to have the same preference.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I agree that Rise of Skywalker did it worse, but Last Jedi started the back and forth.

In what way? Last Jedi doesn't have any retcons or bullshit "reveals" like TROS.

Irrespective of the dumb moments within its own story, the greatest crime of TROS is shredding the story of the OT. Now the Emperor never actually lost to Luke and Vader, he was not defeated by the love of a father for his son. He was not so arrogant that he thought Vader would never turn back, in fact he assumed it would happen and prepared a grand scheme involving clone bodies and a lore-breaking ability for his spirit to survive death even though he's a Sith.