• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
MOD EDIT:
Hey all, in case you haven't seen the notices in relevant threads on the gaming side, we're trying to avoid list threads even when they're presented as vote threads. For now you can keep 'em, but please try to justify your choices and describe what they mean to you. Just listing a bunch of picks with no explanation isn't enough. If this thread doesn't generate much actual discussion we may have to close it in the future. Thank you very much!

To me, it's never too early to make this thread. We have been recently talking about the best stuff to come out this year. The best Oscar-caliber movies, the best superhero movies, etc.

But what about the worst?

Which movies have absolutely stunk up the theaters this year? Give me a few that you saw or heard about that were so bad that you can't believe they were made.

Also, post some pictures and tell why you felt this way if you want. You don't have to. The worst movies I saw this year were The Book of Henry and The Mummy.

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I've heard The Snowman is pretty terrible, but I haven't seen it yet.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just loaded up my list, here's what I've rated lowest so far. Seen 194 movies released this year:

20. Song to Song
19. Naked
18. Jigsaw
17. Arsenal
16. Sandy Wexler
15. Unlocked
14. Jeepers Creepers 3
13. Rings
12. Batman and Harley Quinn
11. Book of Henry, The
10. Snowman, The
9. Marine 5: Battleground, The
8. Unforgettable
7. Layover, The
6. Kidnap
5. Inconceivable
4. Emoji Movie, The
3. Downrange
2. Amityville: The Awakening
1. Fifty Shades Darker

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Book of Henry for me.

What a convoluted plot, unintellionally funny, and such a predictable ending that I wish it's ending was as convoluted as its plot.

I guess most forgettable movie would be Lego Batman. Not a bad film, but not memorable in the slightest. Book of Henry was much more entertaining.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Underworld 5
Monster Trucks
The Bye Bye Man
50 Shades Darker
Baywatch
Transformers 5
Emoji Movie

a916

Oct 25, 2017
By a country mile it has to be Naked starring Marlon Wayans....

It's literally unwatcheable with no redeemable thing in it. Turned it off about 20 minutes in hoping it would get better.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've heard a podcast about Bye Bye Man and it sounds amazingly bad. Next level terrible.

I saw Rings and it was pretty terrible. Maybe that one is my worst film of the year.

Can't wait for all the internet hot takes ITT.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must be nuts - I didn't think Book of Henry was all that bad.
Really didn't like Kingsman 2 - offensively bad.

Edit: ayy lmao @ Thor: Ragnarok mentioned above

Lumpy Onion

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix originals count? If so I thought The Babysitter was pure trash. I know what kind of movie it was trying to be but I don't think it was very well done. Felt like it was trying hard to be cheesy cult movie but failed miserably imo.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't see it but I straight up laughed and didn't believe my friend when he told me the Book of Henry plot. Thank god Disney dumped Trevorrow.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I must be nuts - I didn't think Book of Henry was all that bad.
Really didn't like Kingsman 2 - offensively bad.

Edit: ayy lmao @ Thor: Ragnarok mentioned above
Kingsman 2 was offensively bad? It was one of the best action movies in years...

Critics completely whiffed on it along with the first one, great movies.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The Bye Bye man, Rings, Jigsaw were so baaad.
The Bye Bye man movie was probably the worst since the logic of the movie made no damn sense.

grimybrit

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Just loaded up my list, here's what I've rated lowest so far. Seen 194 movies released this year:

20. Song to Song
19. Naked
18. Jigsaw
17. Arsenal
16. Sandy Wexler
15. Unlocked
14. Jeepers Creepers 3
13. Rings
11. Book of Henry, The
10. Snowman, The
8. Unforgettable
7. Layover, The
6. Kidnap
5. Inconceivable
4. Emoji Movie, The
3. Downrange
1. Fifty Shades Darker
Sad to hear Song to Song is bad, haven't seen it yet

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm going to teach a Lovely Bones/Book of Henry class so people can fully appreciate why the tonal shift between abused/murdered children and sugary sweet upbeat family drama are never good on film.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baywatch - Not funny or sexy. A waste of Daddario

MV5BMjY2OTM2Njc3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgzODU3MTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Circle - Timid, tepid, and non-committal. It should have gone for thriller or camp. Instead it chose boringly believable. The climax of the movie is her revealing that her boss and supervisor are having affairs. Who gives a fuck?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Book of Henry is the worst, it's the type of movie that looks like it was made in the late 80s early 90s and would be seen as a shitty attempt in making a film in the vein of something like of Radio Flyer.

''We are not killing the police commissioner and that is final!''

NotGreatBob

Oct 25, 2017
I generally wait quite a while to see the worst of the worst, so of the ones I have seen, Justice League probably takes the cake.

But based on what I've read, The Book of Henry might be the actual worst of the year.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
DeathNote is the single worst thing I've seen this year. It is not faithful to the source material, the story is awful, and the characters are unlikable morons. The only good thing about this movie is the soundtrack and that's simply because the song choices are so bad that is fucking hilarious.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

KittyClouds

Oct 28, 2017
DeathNote—absolutely the worst film of the year. It's up there, for me personally, as worst of all time!

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the UK so some of these might be 2016 releases but I've absolutely hated:

La La Land
Moonlight
50 Shades Darker
Their Finest
It Comes At Night

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017

20. Song to Song
19. Naked
18. Jigsaw
17. Arsenal
16. Sandy Wexler
15. Unlocked
14. Jeepers Creepers 3
13. Rings
11. Book of Henry, The
10. Snowman, The
8. Unforgettable
7. Layover, The
6. Kidnap
5. Inconceivable
4. Emoji Movie, The
3. Downrange
1. Fifty Shades Darker
How have you managed to watch so many movies, are you a projectionist?

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Book of Henry, for sure. Other movies are far worse technically, but pound for pound in concept and execution, that one takes the cake.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trevorrow only directed it. I don't see why he gets so much flack and was filmed 2 years ago.
Because people are angry about Jurassic World
Kingsman 2 was offensively bad? It was one of the best action movies in years...

Critics completely whiffed on it along with the first one, great movies.
First one is amazing, second one is a boring mess with a couple cool action scenes. I don't even care about the dumb "sexist" stuff - the movie just sucked.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
To be honest, only did it because of the other ridiculous mentions of another film. Call me salty I guess lol

This fanboy shit needs to stop.

Justice League is trash. It will always be known as trash. The fact that you literally admitted to listing a Marvel movie just because you're angry that people hate a movie you like is the "ridiculous" thing, not the mentions of Justice League as a bad movie.

Nov 1, 2017
Fist Fight was the worst movie I saw this year. Book of Henry was bad but I enjoyed watching it because it was so bonkers. Fist Fight is just deeply unpleasant on every level.