• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
So as I was writing out Battlefront 2 (2017) for the 30th time and I realized that this needed to be a thread.

No matter how much shit Project Octopath Traveler (working title) gets for its barely comprehensible name, you at least know what game I'm referring to when I say "Project Octopath Traveler." When I say "Kingdom Hearts: Friendship/(27 squared): Dark Destiny of Goofy's Number Death, 3-2" those names are at least entertaining. Battlefront 2 (the new one!) offers nothing positive as a title. Whenever someone wants to troll Battlefront 2 (2017), it will be easy to tell from the context of trolling that it's the new game, but what if someone actually likes Battlefront 2 (2017)? Someone could not want to put the year in the thread title and end up trying to defend Battlefront 2 (2017) and instead people could take it as praise for Battlefront 2 (2005). This title will go down in history as one of the worst names ever as both Battlefront 2 (2005) and Battlefront 2 (2017) will be remembered in gaming history and will have to be referred to and it's going to get bad and confusing.

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta. I know it's based on the name of the main character. The problem is that it's a stupid name.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Spec Ops: the Line. Because if I wanted a military shooter it sounds super generic with nothing to set it apart, and if I wanted something subversive it sounds like any other military shooter.

Dec 11, 2017
Anything that involves the word "Rogue", as I tend to mix them up. Rogue Legacy, Rogue Galaxy, Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader...

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting many Square-Enix related titles here. I mean what the hell is an Infinite Undiscovery anyway?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Project cars is one for me. The game doesn't involve any kind of projecting.

Pretty much anything with Legend(s), Origin(s), Shadow(s) or Revenge as a subtitle or prefix.

Also most games with loot, quest, craft, dungeon, etc, except for when used with self awareness.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
The Legend of Legacy

Gotta love JRPG titles that are just a bunch of cool sounding english words

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
Resident Evil has always bugged me. Sounds more like a demented doctor from a 80's video nasty. Biohazard would have been just fine.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
Personally I don't have nothing against some "Random English words that sound cool" video game titles but still find them let's say "not suitable for everyone":

BlazBlue: Centralfiction
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Under Night IN-BIRTH Exe:late[st]
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
Million Knights Vermillion
htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary

And yes, I know that seemingly random pack of letters in the last one is a rebus for "Hotaru no Nikki"

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
663360-631909_touchdic_super.png

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Spec Ops: the Line. Because if I wanted a military shooter it sounds super generic with nothing to set it apart, and if I wanted something subversive it sounds like any other military shooter.

I'm pretty sure that was their plan, the marketing for the game at launch was showing it as a generic military shooter with sand physics as the selling point.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't call it bad but Breath of the Wild didn't impacted me like previous titles of the series. Seems a tad mundane.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The sub-titles of Tomb Raider games have always bothered me. It's like a showcase of the most generic and non descriptive titles imaginable.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) and Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) are even worse because they came out in the same generation, bizarre decision. Under Night In-Birth and Infinite Undiscovery get points for sounding like a random-name generator made them.

Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

Now that's gotta be pulled out of a hat.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) and Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) are even worse because they came out in the same generation, bizarre decision. Under Night In-Birth and Infinite Undiscovery get points for sounding like a random-name generator made them.

Hmm, this may be the one challenger to Battlefront 2 (2017).

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
At least all the titles mentioned in this thread clearly identify a single game however stupid they may sound.
Regarding the OP's premise I really have a hard time thinking of a worse title than Battlefront 2.

Looks like Movie reboot syndrome a la Rambo.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Rise of the Tomb Raider is definitely pretty boring (and describes the first game more accurately), if Shadow of the Tomb Raider is real though that's somehow worse.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle feels like it was forced in a boardroom between Nintendo and Ubisoft execs.

Trails in the Sky is a fantastically appropriate name with the worst possible acronym.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed always irked me, I get that there's more than just Sega characters but why not "Sega & All-Stars Racing"? Other than marketing I guess, but Sonic is RIGHT THERE on the box.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I've just started Demon's Souls, so that.

A name so bad, you can't even say it without tongue-twisting.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Summer-Colored High School ★ Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going. –

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Bravely Default

I see the title and I just don't know what it means. It's like someone who barely understands English was asked to come up with a title and everyone just went with it. Like, is it supposed to be "Default to Bravery?" Or is the act of defaulting that is brave? It annoys the piss out of me.

I've just started Demon's Souls, so that.

A name so bad, you can't even say it without tongue-twisting.

I hate this one so much because of the apostrophe usage. It's one demon that has multiple souls? I feel like it should be Demons' Souls. See also: "Saints Row"

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Summer-Colored High School ★ Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going. –
I'd like to think this has been edited down from a much longer version.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Default

I see the title and I just don't know what it means. It's like someone who barely understands English was asked to come up with a title and everyone just went with it. Like, is it supposed to be "Default to Bravery?" Or is the act of defaulting that is brave? It annoys the piss out of me.
Both Brave and Default are gameplay mechanics, where Defaulting increases your Brave points which you eventually spend to take more than one action in a turn. I'm guessing someone at Square Enix read the "back out" definition of Default and thought it sounded cool.

It's definitely a pretty silly name but they do kinda make sense of it, which is better than some other titles out there.

On a similar note, "Donkey Kong" is an awful title when you put aside decades of familiarity.