• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So I made a thread a few weeks ago since I finished reading Liar Game. I just quote myself from the thread:

Liar Game:

So they wrap the game up, but suddenly it is revealed that the Liar Game was created because a friend of the creater was killed by the CCP. But it doesnt stop there. Actually everyone has a heart. The previous ruthless people are actually nice and just created the Liar Game to promote humanity. They said they have chosen Japan because that is one of the few countries that doesnt have any conflicts and really peaceful but the neighbours are really bad.
This doesnt even make any sense, because the other 200 chapters showed that most people dont care, everyone fights for themselves. A bit like the criticism that Squid Game had. But then the last chapter somehow was "oh lol no."
And in the end they upload the hopeful movie just to find out the CCP can even delete it from YouTube.

The End.

Another one is obviously Usagi Drop.

At the end the guy marries his adopted daughter.

Also Negima had a rushed ending that did not make any sense and Ken Akamatsu literally used almost a full volume of his Sequel series UQ Holder to give you the real ending with some strange explanation:

The fight is just like cut off. Everyone goes their own ways. The end.
Then UQ Holder 15 they show the actual planned Negima ending with a huge war in the space close to Mars, the actual real villain etc. but then they explain that now there are two different timelines, so both endings fit.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Cage of Eden failed to address any of its many mysteries, offering an ending that maybe is positive for the cast, but is ultimately disappointing in all the ways that mattered.

I Am a Hero, the greatest zombie manga of all time ended abruptly because the father of the mangaka fell ill, and he wanted to take care of him. Cannot fault the man for that, but it was a bummer nonetheless.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone else remembers the name but I read a short (19 chapters or so) mystery manga that ended due to cancellation and instead of just revealing the mystery, the author just had it end with "good luck trying to figure it out" and that was it.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
The entire back half of Air Gear goes from hilariously ridiculous to utter nonsense that feels like the mangaka is phoning it in hard.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Hitman Reborn's ending took a massive dump on the main characters development through the series by making him go back to how he was at the start.
Yup. Tsuna goes back to episode 1 Tsuna because you can't have progress... even when the future arc showed that THERE SHOULD BE PROGRESS.
I feel bad for Haru and Kyouko. Imagine being in love with Tsuna... what a curse.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Of stuff I've read that actively made me look back less fondly on the rest of the series The Promised Neverland is for sure the biggest "what happened?" of all the manga I've read. I can still compartmentalize the first half of Usagi Drop and pretend it's a separate series, and something like Negima got a satisfying ending later. Neverland actively betrays many of the parts of that first arc that made it so compelling originally.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I read some similar manga around the same time but I think it was Ichigo 100% that gave the bulk of it's characters some really boring endings.

There is another that I vaguely remember where the main character is hospitalized in a violent attack and his love interest only calls him at the hospital and they have a very weak conversation. It was funny in how weird and unexpected it was but an awful part of the end.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of stuff I've read that actively made me look back less fondly on the rest of the series The Promised Neverland is for sure the biggest "what happened?" of all the manga I've read. I can still compartmentalize the first half of Usagi Drop and pretend it's a separate series, and something like Negima got a satisfying ending later. Neverland actively betrays many of the parts of that first arc that made it so compelling originally.
Promised Neverland is more of a disappointment of what could have been more than anything. It isn't aggressively awful like a lot of other examples. Just slowly faded into a whimper of an ending.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, good to see Liar Game right at the top. The last third or so was pretty bad, but lol at the ending in particular.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Usagi Drop can't really be topped, because it went from heart-warming story about a single guy raising a child treated as an outcast to "we're not actually related by blood, so even though you've raised me from early childhood, I want to marry you and have your children."

Keep in mind, the character in question is still in high school at this point, and both she and her father figure throughout the series are implied to have other romantic interests (even if not actual relationships) which would make more fucking sense and not completely destroy the message of the manga up to that point.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
The entire back half of Air Gear goes from hilariously ridiculous to utter nonsense that feels like the mangaka is phoning it in hard.
That's every serie done by OH GREAT!
Starts with a neat concept and interesting characters -> slowly chip away and start ignoring characters -> forget the premise and start writing a completely different thing which is terrible

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Liar Game makes me sad. Most of the manga was superb and then the last arc was mediocre at best. The ending being awful shouldn't be surprising.

And of course, Bleach. But Kubo had already lost it since the Arrancar.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I find it hard to top Usagi Drop, and honestly I would be afraid to read something worse than that lol

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I switch between the Hikaru no Go ending being absolutely horrible and very much fantastic.

It doesn't 'end', it is just another confrontation in Hikaru's and Akira's life.

I'll disagree on Bleach, as the epilogue is fine, sweet. It is just that the path to get there is so insanely long.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Cool, good to see Liar Game right at the top. The last third or so was pretty bad, but lol at the ending in particular.

The ending didnt even make any sense. They just
cancel the game and somehow it suddenly became nationalistic as fuck, there was some description that Japanese are all peace loving and you literally got a Tank Man Panel, then some bad triads in Singapore killing people and somehow now the CCP censoring YouTube at the end. The end.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Usagi Drop goes without saying.
Havent read it myself but i seem to recall a lot people were upset over Attack on titans ending recenetly.

Edit: Ah soul eater as well. Its whole back half is terrible imo.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Liar Game makes me sad. Most of the manga was superb and then the last arc was mediocre at best. The ending being awful shouldn't be surprising.

Liar game didn't really bother me that much to be honest. I didn't expect the reason for the liar game to be any good and
what they ended up with Liar game being made to be beaten but only by someone who was selfless was mostly fine to me. I might be misremembering the ending though I completely forgot about the CCP part of it for example.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i stopped liar game maybe halfway or 3/4 of the way, is that really how it ended?
jesus

Oct 25, 2017
Since Usagi Drop has been mentioned, I'll add something else.

The ending to Shokugeki no Soma. When a shonen series ends, the protagonist often fulfills his dreams or goals. Even Naruto got that right.
SnS managed to end without Soma accomplishing any of his goals. He never beat his dad in a cooking battle, he didn't win the BLUE competition, and he never found a "special person" to cook for (in that he didn't get together with Erina or Megumi). The writer even admitted he didn't go through the last one as he "couldn't figure out how to do it".
And this is after a horrendous final arc that involved using a chainsaw to cook, the villain essentially had cooking Nen, and Erina became the Sasuke of the series and it once again involved her stupid family drama.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Gyaru☆Kuri!

I love a good gyaru romcom, but holy shit, I never experienced a heel turn like that in my life. Starts off as a typical nerd and gyaru romcom where he cleans her filthy bedroom and it offers the reader cleaning tips. Then around chapter 8 or 9 it goes from ecchi romcom to hentai/rape with 0 warning. Like, wow.

I read on reddit that I guess the author was pissed that his manga was getting canceled and the last few chapters with hentai/rape stuff was done as a middle finger to the publisher. Wish I'd have known that before starting it. Heel turn of the century.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
wtf? lmao

what a ridiculous ending

I watched the anime and it was so cute/sweet

01.jpg

"But why they cut the ending? Let's read the manga... what"

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Usagi Drop goes without saying.
Havent read it myself but i seem to recall a lot people were upset over Attack on titans ending recenetly.
As for Usagi Drop, manga doesn't exist. Only media is the cute anime of a single man raising his adopted daughter and finding out how to be a father.

Hinamatsuri did a better timeskip where Nitta and Hina have a good father-daughter relationship.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the original Demon Slayer ending was pretty bad, felt very rushed. The extended chapters improve things a tiny bit however.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone ever ask the author of Usagi Drop why the everliving fuck they thought that ending was a good idea? Like, seriously, was it focused tested by a bunch of sick freaks?

I want some studio to buy the rights to Usagi Drop and to change the ending completely to one that actually fits the freaking story.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Promised Neverland is more of a disappointment of what could have been more than anything. It isn't aggressively awful like a lot of other examples. Just slowly faded into a whimper of an ending.
I thought it was aggressively awful, basically everything after killing the queen was just an absolute train wreck. It's an ending that actively ruined the rest of the series for me. I can't comment on stuff I haven't read/finished like Gantz, Air Gear, or Hitman Reborn.

I think a lot of manga have weak endings (Bleach, Death Note, Eyeshield 21), and I've read bad series that had equally bad endings like Platinum End or Dear Sa-Chan. I don't hold it against those series because it doesn't hurt the parts of the series I enjoyed (Death Note), the series has been weak for awhile (Bleach), or I was expecting a dumpster fire based upon the rest of the story (Dear Sa-Chan).

Platinum End probably has the objective worst ending of any manga I've read though, an absolute "what was the point of this garbage?" reaction, but it's ending didn't feel like the betrayal that something like TPN or Usagi Drop were. Of series that epically betrayed me, I have a harder time going back to TPN then UD since I can better disconnect the stuff I enjoyed in early UD then I can with the early stuff in TPN. If you want specifics as to why The fact Usagi Drop becomes a last second grooming/incest series sucks, but the mc wasn't raising his adopted daughter in the first half with malicious intent. It's the daughter who pushes for it after the time skip, and in the stuff I like there aren't seeds of where the story is actually going, so it's easy to just "forget" and pretend it ends at the time skip.

By comparison, TPN did a better job of laying the seeds of where it's story was going, so the fact it fell flat on it's face in the end ruins my enjoyment of the build up and suspense of how things will play out. I can't take Isabella or Ratri seriously as villains anymore because of how their stories end, and the entire farm system feels stupid when there has been magic demon blood that'll resolve everything for years just waiting for someone to use.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily the ending, but pretty close. Chapter 44 of Blue Flag destroyed any and all good will that series had built up. I read the remaining chapters through gritted teeth.

One of the main characters is the victim of a homophobic attack, and the author decides to have a discussion between characters where they "both sides" homophobia while trying to justify the attacker's homophobia by revealing that he was molested as a child. Also threw in dashes of mysogyny and transphobia to boot.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone ever ask the author of Usagi Drop why the everliving fuck they thought that ending was a good idea? Like, seriously, was it focused tested by a bunch of sick freaks?

I want some studio to buy the rights to Usagi Drop and to change the ending completely to one that actually fits the freaking story.
Author is a woman with a clear fetish.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Liar game didn't really bother me that much to be honest. I didn't expect the reason for the liar game to be any good and
what they ended up with Liar game being made to be beaten but only by someone who was selfless was mostly fine to me. I might be misremembering the ending though I completely forgot about the CCP part of it for example.

The author of the Novel Liar Game lived in China, that Vivy guy and critized the CCP. He was then killed. In honor of his death his friends made the Liar Game with actors as a tribute to him. One of the friends was a prominent film maker. They then made the new Liar Game to show everyone that Hope can still persists in all of those games.
So then they upload the movie at the end to YouTube, it was deleted by the CCP ("Those in Power pressured the sites to delete it") and the "Darkness runs deeper than we ever imagined.

Also the reason they chose Japan for the games is because its monoracial and secular, so no racism would ever interfere with the games.

Also the motivation of the "villain" and his sudden change of heart didnt make any sense. It felt like a typical Shounen moment that with the power of friendship and hope, he had a sudden change of heart.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I was very disappointed with the ending of Goodnight Punpun. Left such a sour taste in my mouth.