• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
i nominate ness' dad from earthbound/mother 2

25-62844.png

i know he gives you a BOING!load of money over the course of the game but GOOD GOLLY if it isn't tedious listening to his spiel about hitting the hay and not working too hard EVERY TIME YOU SAVE THE GAME.

on top of that, he will call you out of the blue every 2 hours of gameplay to tell you that he thinks you should take a break.

what do you think?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest

"I'm gonna marry my daughter off to some jackass I know will most likely cheat on her to further my own standing."

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
I nominate just about every Pokémon protagonist's father. They're pretty much always completely nonexistent.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Somehow lost all of his eggs and he proceeds to blame Banjo and Kazooie for no reason. He then tries to kill them with his snot.

No wonder his wife left him.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
King Desmond from Fire Emblem.

Basically neglects his son, hates him with a passion and tries to have him murdered. Even tho his son tries his best to get him to like him.

Edit: don't know if his count. As it's nothing related to the main characters.

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
BJ's dad from Wolfenstein: The New Colossus is definitely up there.

While a lot of bad videogame dads are either deadbeats or cartoonishly evil, BJ's dad is just straight up emotionally and physically abusive to his wife, son, and dog in all sorts of really awful ways. The fact that he tries to justify himself when eventually confronted really seals it.

For best bad dad, that goes to Heihachi.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The abusive, alcoholic father from Captain Spirit.

CaptainSpiritDad.png

I mean, sure, but he clearly loves his son and is tormented by what he does because of what happened with his wife. He needs treatment.

latest

"I'm gonna marry my daughter off to some jackass I know will most likely cheat on her to further my own standing."

Now that's one that I agree in all fronts but you forgot the part where Haru was only a political pawn for him. At least later he realize but it was too late.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Comstock in Bioshock Infinite, locking his daughter inside a tower for one and later revelations for why she came to Columbia.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I mean, sure, but he clearly loves his son and is tormented by what he does because of what happened with his wife. He needs treatment.

Now that's one that I agree in all fronts but you forgot the part where Haru was only a political pawn for him. At least later he realize but it was too late.

I think it's more of a personal thing for me because I resented my father, growing up. Similar alcohol issues and verbally/emotionally abusive.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'd say Senua's father from Hellblade just about takes the cake.

He accuses her mum, his wife, of being possessed and has her burnt at the stake.

Then he convinces Senua that she's also cursed (in truth she has psychosis) and isolates her from all other people, which of course just makes it worse.

It's strongly hinted that he sold out the village to the Norse raiders who then killed everyone and burnt the place down.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos was a pretty shitty and indifferent to his kid the whole time. Most of time he just seems annoyed that Atreus has to be along for the journey. Everytime Atreus has a question or concern Kratos answers it with a sneering passive-aggressiveness. I'm not sure if he ever once offers an affectionate word to his kid. He is definitely not a good dad.

That said, videogames are full of physically abusive drunk psycho dads, so it is hard to call Kratos the worst. The dad in Detroit: Become Human is pretty much a monster.

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Nailed it.

Maybe you should elaborate because the whole time I was playing God of War 4 I wished Kratos was my dad.

Kratos was a pretty good dad all things considered.

He murdered his first family for dumb reasons and was an unapologetic asshole in GoW 1-3.

Look at his actions across the franchise. 4 did a great job of making him an actual character but he was a caricature before.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Nailed it.

He murdered his first family for dumb reasons and was an unapologetic asshole in GoW 1-3
So you're pretending God of War 4 doesn't exist so you can call him a bad dad? Huh? You must have missed the story completely. Ares tricked Kratos in God of War 1. It was an accident, one that Kratos has regretted from the beginning, and it got him cursed. The entirety of God of War 2018 has Kratos making sure Atreus doesn't make the same mistake he did, making sure he knows how to control his rage.

Also, I don't think he was an asshole at all GoW 1-3 at all. I think the Gods he was killing were assholes and all deserved brutal video game deaths.

May 5, 2018
heihachi-mishima-tekken-7-34.3.jpg

He dropped his son into a volcano and launched his family into space while all were attached to a Rocket. His son and grandson aren't saints either, but Heihachi is the king of bad game dads.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
heihachi-mishima-tekken-7-34.3.jpg

He dropped his son into a volcano and launched his family into space while all were attached to a Rocket. His son and grandson aren't saints either, but Heihachi is the king of bad game dads.
I mean, you really could have stopped at "he dropped his son into a volcano" and he would still be in the top 5

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you're pretending God of War 4 doesn't exist so you can call him a bad dad? Huh? You must have missed the story completely. Ares tricked Kratos in God of War 1. It was an accident, one that Kratos has regretted from the beginning, and it got him cursed. The entirety of God of War 2018 has Kratos making sure Atreus doesn't make the same mistake he did, making sure he knows how to control his rage.

Also, I don't think he was an asshole at all GoW 1-3 at all. I think the Gods he was killing were assholes and all deserved brutal video game deaths.

I acknowledge GoW4 as Kratos showing growth but it still doesn't change the fact he was a bad dad to his first family.

Also Kratos doesn't know the kid at the beginning of the game, what was he doing for a decade? He's emotionally distant and rarely calls the kid by name.

As for GoW 1-3 just because other people are assholes it doesn't prevent him from being one.

Look at discussion of the character online before the game came out, hell we had an ERA thread:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/be...uld-remember-kratos-is-a-piece-of-shit.30967/

Last edited: