• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it worth getting a Nintendo Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 900 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Hamoody

Oct 25, 2017
So basically, with Christmas coming around the corner, I've been thinking long and hard about getting the Nintendo Switch.

While Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW have hyped me to get it, I still feel that sense of "I'm not going to use it as much".

Do you think the Nintendo Switch is worth getting at this stage?

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo switch is one of man's necessities for living.

Yes.

Also I got DOOM today and it's seriously impressive

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at this list of stuff I found notable and see if it sounds appealing to you:

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Rabbids
Fast RMX
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Nights of Azure 2
Splatoon 2
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Blaster Master Zero
Pokken Tournament DX
Super Bomberman R
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Fire Emblem Warriors
Disgaea 5 Complete
Implosion
ARMS
Shovel Knight Spectre of Torment
DOOM
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Fifa 18
Snipperclips
Kamiko
Steamworld Dig 2
NBA 2k18
Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
Sonic Mania
Golf Story
Sonic Forces
Super Mario Odyssey

If not, then you can just buy it when there's more titles you're interested in.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Apart from SMO & BOTW, if you like Nintendo games in general then yes. Other than that the Switch isn't for you

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
From someone who waited til last month, it's absolutely worth it. Not only will you get excellent first party Nintendo games, but I've found myself purchasing indie games on it over getting them on PC just for portability.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Yea. I initially thought I'd be playing just Nintendo games on it but a decent FIFA 18 and a wide variety of games has me playing a on a regular basis.

I don't even have Mario + Rabbids, Odyssey, Mario Kart, 2K18 or DOOM yet and they're all on my must buy list.

Edit: and I'm really excited for Wolfenstein II and Skyrim. I played the latter on PC but the bare bones version so it'll be awesome to pick it up again with all the extras and be able to play in bed!

I thought I was slipping out of gaming before the Switch came along but the possibility of console gaming being portable has reignited my passion for gaming.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
We can only hype you up by mentioning several good games and the hybrid portability nature of the Switch. How you accept the system still depends on you. Do you play videogames everyday?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Look at this list of stuff I found notable and see if it sounds appealing to you:

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Rabbids
Fast RMX
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Nights of Azure 2
Splatoon 2
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Blaster Master Zero
Pokken Tournament DX
Super Bomberman R
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Fire Emblem Warriors
Disgaea 5 Complete
Implosion
ARMS
Shovel Knight Spectre of Torment
DOOM
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Fifa 18
Snipperclips
Kamiko
Steamworld Dig 2
NBA 2k18
Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
Sonic Mania
Golf Story
Sonic Forces
Super Mario Odyssey

If not, then you can just buy it when there's more titles you're interested in.

Sonic Forces in a list of "notable" stuff? :D

Oct 30, 2017
The combination of Nintendo Switch, Zelda and Mario Odyssey which are 2 games in the top 10 of GOAT as well as a fun multiplayer game like Mario Kart is the ultimate Christmas present.

In terms of will you get any use out of Switch going forward after your done with those games. It depends if you are into Nintendo IPs, do you like Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Metroid, Smash and etc.

Nov 8, 2017
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. While I expect most people will enjoy Zelda and Mario a lot, that is not a guarantee that you will specifically, OP. Mario x Rabids is a damn fine game, even if not "omg 10/10 goty" tier like Odyssey and BOTW. Mario Kart and Splatoon have been out for ages. Golf Story is a charming indie exclusive.

If you're only into the Destiny's and Battlefields for the most part then you will have to come to terms with the fact that you are not going to get most of those types of games on Switch moving forwards, and the very real possibility that after you finish Zelda/Odyssey there may not be anything you want for a while. On the other hand, you might fall in love with the system. Without knowing you better, I can't say.

Oct 27, 2017
Op, why not do a little research and make an informed decision. If you have done that already, great. But, we have been given no other pertentant information other than "I'm not going to use it as much". If that's the case don't get it.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Is Nintendo gonna add achievements/trophies to Switch. I heard before they were but not heard nothing since.

I'd play mine a lot more if it had this feature on a system level.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anytime I question if I need new gaming hardware, I wait. Chances are, either a price drop comes, a new model is announced, limited edition bundles, better games, the games you do want get cheaper, etc... I'm holding off on a switch for now, but will pick one up eventually.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Yes you should get one! I own a ps4 pro and an Xbox one, but still the one thing I am playing now is zelda... It's soo big soo good and the fact that you can play it anywhere is amazing!
Switch has also become my one home for indies, I've even re purchased some of the games on the switch since it's the perfect platform for it.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're not sure, wait for a sale or a price drop or a revision. But it's definitely worth buying.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
If you are that worried about the future lineup, maybe wait until we get better idea of what they have in store for 2018. There are certainly some great exclusives available right now to justify the purchase, but as long as you you don't mind waiting, then just wait. Just don't change your mind as we get closer to the holidays, it's probably going to be hard to find again in the coming weeks.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are that worried about the future lineup, maybe wait until we get better idea of what they have in store for 2018.

On that note, I also have a list for the currently confirmed future titles if OP is interested:

Lost Sphere
Octopath Traveller
No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back
Blazblue Cross Tag
Wolfenstein 2
Inazuma Eleven
Attack on Titan 2
New Platinum Game
Morphies Law
Battle Chasers: Night War
Pikmin 4
Ace Attorney
Dragon: Marked For Death
Fe
New Namco Bandai Game 1
New Namco Bandai Game 2
New Namco Bandai Game 3
Zelda remake
Phantasy Star Online 2: Cloud
Hollow
Wargroove
Fire Emblem main
Steins;Gate Elite
Shin Megami Tensei 5
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi
Bloodstained
Dragon Quest 11
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Pokemon
Metroid Prime 4

Sniffynose

Oct 30, 2017
Omg yes... there are tons of good games now. There's something for everyone really, and it's great for playing in bed or on lunch break etc.

I also find having it doesn't hinder my usage of my PC/PS4 since they are stationary and I have certain times when I can use them, my switch I can sneak game time in whenever and it's easy sleep/resume is so hassle free and fast.

I also couldn't handle playing stardew valley on the PC but it's already at over 100hrs on the Switch, it's perfect for Indies and they feel right at home being portable.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you mainly play on ps4,pc or xbox that won't change.

You will receive great games once in a while but again you won't be playing 3rd party games on it even if they end up on it like the Bethesda games (even tho they are very late to the party) do you travel a lot or consistently? Do you stay on campus of a school for example while you wait for the next classes? If both are yes I would say as a Christmas gift it could serve you well especially now that it has an ok sized backlog with newer titles hopefully also being consistent next year.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a ps4 and pc guy and just got one. It seriously has reignited my love for games I grew up with.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey and BotW are like 300+ hours worth of top-tier gaming goodness; Xenoblade 2 will easily be another 100+ hours. And you can fit that in anywhere anytime, since the Switch is portable and boots up in like two seconds.

Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon, ARMS and Pokken are also great. Mario Kart is a brilliant addition to any Switch. Portable DOOM is wonderful. And smaller titles like Bomberman R, Sonic Mania, Snake Pass, Thumper, Puyo Puyo Tetris, SteamWorld Dig 2, Golf Story, Stardew Valley, etc, all work so well on a hybrid system like Switch.

Such a fantastic system. You'll love it, OP.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I would definitely recommend it. You should make the final decision as it pertains to your personal tastes, but SMO, BOTW and MK8D allow for hundreds of hours of playtime. You can add to that with a litany of indies, several other Nintendo titles, and a handful of AAA ports, and in the future many more games should be expected from Bandai Namco, Koei Tecmo, Square Enix (Octopath Traveler and DQXI!), Bethesda, and yes, even Capcom (they already confirmed Ace Attorney). And seeing as Switch is selling incredibly well, I expect other 3rd parties to come on board as well.

Not to mention that Switch will be the only hardware Nintendo is developing for, so expect a big output for the Switch from Nintendo themselves as well.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
As a first time nintendo console owner. It's worth every penny. Play anywhere is absolutely mindblowing. I have been playing every day on my train trips to and from office. Also Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda are one of the best games of the year.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Mario and Zelda alone are worth it. Mario&Rabbids, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 - alongside amazing indies like Golf Story - make it a no-brainer.

Kyo555

Oct 29, 2017
New Namco Bandai Game 1
New Namco Bandai Game 2
New Namco Bandai Game 3

My new favorite franchise

What a lot of people seem to care about, but I don't, are all the ports the Switch is receiving. Mostly they will be outperformed for the sake of portality. But the exclusives will make it worth your while.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also still doubting. Super Mario Odyssey really wants to make me buy it but I have very little time so it would probably be just that game as I don't find time for my other games either.

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of content both gotys are filled with is kind of insane. I know myself as someone who completely stops when dropping a game for awhile. I still play zelda botw and still enjoy it. The game is very pick up and play friendly despite being so vast. I guess its one of those gameplay>story thing that nintendo does over others which makes it 'break' friendly.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The real Switch mvp is not even Mario or Zelda, it's Mario + Rabbids :p Don't miss out on that game when you get a Switch OP. M+R was so refresing because it's a crazy experiment that turned out incredibly well and had me hooked for 50+ hours.

Switch is already worth it for the first party, but it's also been great for indies and having those available on the go. Even 'in house' portability is a plus, for instance I love putting the Switch undocked next to my pc to play short bursts of anything. And you can even use the pro controller for that if you want. It's a very versatile system.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Heck yeah. I've almost put like 1000 hours into the thing. And that's while still working full time, going to school, and being married!

Les

Nov 10, 2017
Well, i've never had any Nintendo products, and so, being an outsider and just looking at the "N" products... Iiiii don't think I wanna have this. This looks a bit, just a bit, childishly...

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I mean, for me it's worth it just for Splatoon 2, Mario, and Zelda alone. It's a great machine with a very promising lineup, and it's picking up deservedly huge interest among AAA and indie developers alike.

oldnick

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
im in the same boat...
i really want to play mario and zelda but buying a console for 2 games is a tough sell
let's be honest the rest is mediocre or remakes/ports or not worth 60$ or can be played on ps4

im really on the fence

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch lineup is already fantastic, so many games to choose from. Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade 2, Mario Kart, Splatoon, DOOM, Skyrim, Wolfenstein 2 in one year. That's really impressive and you can play every game on the go. Go for it !

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, it's up to you TC. See how many "must have" exclusives the system has and determine if it's right for you.

Personally, unless some good deals pop up, I don't think I'll get a Switch until near the release of the console Fire Emblem.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey is worth the price of admission alone, the fact that the best version of Zelda Breath of the Wild is also on it, is an additional bonus.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd wait for a price drop personally. I expect sales to tail off next year, forcing Nintendo to lower the (very expensive) price.

Also BotW can be played on Wii U or a gaming PC.

Oct 25, 2017
All of these console warz lists are lol especially listing crap like Sonic forces.

Look, historically have you liked Nintendo games? If not really, then

Are you interesting in playing games that are available on other platforms that play/look not as well, but you can take them on the go?

That's basically is. If you don't like Nintendo games and you have other consoles that can play the other titles on the system and you don't care about playing on the go, then don't.

Personally I get all Nintendo consoles on launch because they are one of my favourite developers but it's not as simple for other people as these list warz style posts will lead you to believe.