• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
22829913_191014698123465_325640388915989322_o.jpg

Playing through Mario Odyssey has been a blast. There are some sections where you play as 2D Mario. I found myself trying to throw my cap and capture enemies. So of course that's something I've been thinking about lately. Do you think it could work in 2D form? I feel like maybe it could work in the New Super Mario style of game.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
My fear would be that that would eat Kirby's lunch in a similar way to antigrav in Mario Kart 8 killing F-Zero.

I'm totally with you on finding myself accidentally trying to capture enemies in the 8-bit platforming segments though.

OP
OP
Super Nintendad
Oct 25, 2017
I can see that being an issue or fear. It could be a nice touch for limited enemies in a Super Mario Maker 2

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the level design was appropriately tailored, then yes absolutely.

Also those god damned 2D sections in Odyssey make me want Nintendo to release a new fully fledged title in that art style lol.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sure, OP, it could work. 2D Kirby games basically already have the same concept, pretty much (although that might be a good reason to not do it in 2D Mario, tbh).
If the level design was appropriately tailored, then yes absolutely.

Also those god damned 2D sections in Odyssey make me want Nintendo to release a new fully fledged title in that art style lol.
Yeah, I actually want to see a 2D Mario with this visual style as well. "2DHD", if you will. Basically, I want the fugly art style (and boring, monotonous soundtrack) of New Super Mario Bros. to go away, and have the next SMB game basically be the equivalent of Sonic Mania, but for Mario.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"
Yeah, I actually want to see a 2D Mario with this visual style as well. "2DHD", if you will. Basically, I want the fugly art style (and boring, monotonous soundtrack) of New Super Mario Bros. to go away, and have the next SMB game basically be the equivalent of Sonic Mania, but for Mario.
You summed up what I couldn't put in to words. Thanks :)

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
While I prefer that Cappy not be functional in the 2D portions of the game, I do believe it could work. But there's a difference between knowing a mechanic will work and adding it in for the hell of it as opposed to leaving the classic sections... classic