• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

?

• No, most of DS' acclaim comes from the fact that it was made by Kojima and not much else

• Somewhat, half of it is the Kojima name and the other half is the quality of the game itself

• Yes, DS could've had any random name on the box and it would still receive the same level of praise

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
No because things are different when you change them. You could change any major aspect of DS and it would have an affect on its reception.

But what you're probably actually getting at is the shitty "people only like it cos Kojima fanboys" thing, so to that I can only say give people a bit more credit than that.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Would be as hated and bring as much salt if wasn't made by Kojima?The only real answer is,only Kojima has the guts to make such game.
Not only just the guts - only Kojima has the resources to make such a game.

To answer the OP: if the Kojima factor is your explanation for why the game is praised, then Kojima must also be the explanation for why there are so many haters out there.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it was some indy game it would be getting much more praise than it's getting. If anything the Kojima haters were ready to pounce on this one from the start. Most of those who shit on it the most haven't even played it.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Honestly I'm more baffled by the idea that people would've said they liked it more because it had Kojima's name on it. As someone who has not played a lot of his games (really just MGS1) and really enjoyed Death Stranding, it's all the bits that are most obviously Kojima bits (aspects of the story telling, for example) that are the worst.
Why would you say the story is "more Kojima" than the gameplay? The initial pitch concepts are all about the gameplay https://www.resetera.com/threads/kojima-posts-some-death-stranding-pre-production-materials.161070/

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
You couldn't have the exact same game made by someone else though....the game has Kojima's mark all over it,it's a game only he could/would make in the AAA space.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I think it would probably get similar amounts of praise but less criticism, fewer sales and fewer GotY awards - generally it would be a niche game, with people who it doesn't appeal simply ignoring it. How it attracted an AAA budget would be a mystery for the ages.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Death stranding wouldn't exist if Kojima didn't make it because he's the only one that could make it

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you say the story is "more Kojima" than the gameplay? The initial pitch concepts are all about the gameplay https://www.resetera.com/threads/kojima-posts-some-death-stranding-pre-production-materials.161070/

Sorry, that's what I was getting at with the "not played a lot of his games" stuff. To an outsider (or maybe just to me!), Kojima is synonymous with "batshit insane story elements," and people don't really talk about the game design choices very much in broader conversations outside of "holy shit Psycho Mantis is asking you to switch the controller port." I read that thread and it's really impressive how much of that initial pitch made it into the final game, but if you'd asked me before I played the game if I'd think that was obviously Kojima's work, I wouldn't have been able to say either way.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, if it had my name on it, it would have gotten 10s across the board though.

"Instant Classic"

"We don't even know who this guy is"

"I'm happy this isn't a Hideo Kojima game"

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I think it would be loved and praised more if it came from an unknown developer. The tech, the story, and the traversal were all well done in the game. I think people were just expecting another stealth action game on the same level as the Metal Gear series and went in with preconceived notions of what the game should be like instead of simply just experiencing what the game was.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't know to be honest. I love the game, but I might not have been that into it if it wasn't for Kojima. Because I just know to expect more crazy stuff to pile up the longer the game goes on and I want to see that through.

Jun 18, 2018
What is meant by "the same level of praise"? the game wasn't unanimously held in high regards - it's probably the most polarising title he's produced - and many that do love it (such as myself) know that it's what the game gets right that lifts it above its flaws, not Kojima's name on the box.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Possibly it would receive more praise, if people didn't feel the need to kneejerk into crazy rants about Kojima.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I bet it would get about 75% of the same praise. People love a redemption story so there was no avoiding that feeling for Kojima.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Death Stranding is the GOTY, get the fuck over it people. It's been leading the overall number of GOTY awards right from the start. If Kojima didn't make it, I believe it would have gotten even higher praise (not attention, but praise). The level of Kojima hate surrounding this game has been unreal from the very beginning.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
People were more forgiving because of the Kojima branding. If it was a random game most wouldn't have been as generous. And that's coming from someone who absolutely loved the game.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The cutscenes wouldn't be as dumb if it was made by someone else than Art Videogameman.
The gameplay part would probably be praised to similar degree by the same parties.

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone who thinks that the brand name and developer pedigree behind a game has no influence on said game's critical reception (amongst both critics and actual players) is a fool.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Sorry, that's what I was getting at with the "not played a lot of his games" stuff. To an outsider (or maybe just to me!), Kojima is synonymous with "batshit insane story elements," and people don't really talk about the game design choices very much in broader conversations outside of "holy shit Psycho Mantis is asking you to switch the controller port." I read that thread and it's really impressive how much of that initial pitch made it into the final game, but if you'd asked me before I played the game if I'd think that was obviously Kojima's work, I wouldn't have been able to say either way.
Yeah, MGS1-4 are pretty much like that. The gameplay is fine, but I think for most people the main draw was the crazy story. With MGSV and DS though, it seems Kojima has become far more interested in the gameplay side of things.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
People would think they found some hidden gem and can't believe no one is talking about it. Then again the production values ensures it would have a good enough following but it would definitely have less sales.

But there would be almost no hate. Just "wow this is a cool game" with a bunch of threads on Era convincing people to check it out.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It probably would have been praised more by the people who played it but not as many people would have played it since his name was a major selling point.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Not a chance. I actually really enjoyed watching Lirik play the game but despite that even I know Kojima making it was the biggest contributing factor to it's intense fandom.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It would probably be seen better imo.

But it would not be seen as smart. It's dumb writing, the movie actors are there to mask that fact. Or highlight, really.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how much hate Kojima gets. Just finished Death Stranding a few days ago, and it was a fucking incredible ride.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If Kojima didn't make it, I believe it would have gotten even higher praise (not attention, but praise). The level of Kojima hate surrounding this game has been unreal from the very beginning.
I think people would have been even more critical of the writing and storytelling in that case. The writing in Death Stranding is the worst I've seen in an AAA game as of yet. Shocking, given the actors hired for the game and the well realized cinematography. Some people dismiss it as being Kojima's unique style but for me bad writing is just bad writing.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how much I believe the idea that people only like it because it's a Kojima game -- I imagine there's just as many people who dislike it for that sole reason as like it -- but I do think Kojima's name being attached to the game garnered it more attention and discussion than it would have if a no-name was behind it. As someone who has never played a Kojima game before DS, all the excitement and discourse surrounding it simply because Kojima was involved definitely piqued my curiosity, at least. I'm not sure I would have played the game if so many fans and haters weren't constantly talking about it during its lead-up to release.
I imagine there would have been less vitriol surrounding the game if Kojima wasn't behind it, but there'd also be way less exposure, so... guess it'd cancel out?

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, MGS1-4 are pretty much like that. The gameplay is fine, but I think for most people the main draw was the crazy story. With MGSV and DS though, it seems Kojima has become far more interested in the gameplay side of things.
I wouldn't agree with this. While yes MGS is known for its crazy story bits and characters, the series would've never been so critically acclaimed without its mechanics, set pieces, and bosses.

That said, I find DS lacking in both story and gameplay tbh, and I do think the reaction to it would've been different had it been made by someone else, but you can apply this rule to anything with a fan base.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
It wouldn't have been as popular but I do believe if the exact game was made by other people than Kojima it would've been reviewed the same-ish.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Why do people always say this. If it was made by a bunch of random people it would have got more praise. Literally no expectations

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Per the FAQ on thread creation guidelines:

Show Some Effort

Being the Original Poster (OP) of a thread means that it's up to you to provide the foundation for good discussion. When you create a thread, you should include more than just one or two short sentences; make sure that there is enough substance to sustain an interesting conversation. Write as clearly and articulately as possible. Consider whether you're presenting the subject in a way that will generate good discussion. Make sure you are posting the thread in the correct section of the forum, and use the preview feature to double check your work before posting. After creating your thread, consider adding a Cover Image to spruce up its presentation. Do not make provocative threads only to bail on them after the first post. All of the rules outlined in other parts of this document also apply to thread creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.