• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

?

• No, most of DS' acclaim comes from the fact that it was made by Kojima and not much else

• Somewhat, half of it is the Kojima name and the other half is the quality of the game itself

• Yes, DS could've had any random name on the box and it would still receive the same level of praise

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
will this stupid ds topic ever die. Critics dont review games based on favoritism to aaa developers.

Otoh the game wouldnt have had all of the sony marketing and support without a big name probably.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it wouldn't exist without kojima so i don't really know what to say man

like the game would not be the same--be it in scope, direction, themes, definitely his cinematic flair--if it wasn't made by him... it wouldn't have been able to get greenlit if it wasn't for the dude (idk how you can greenlight your own ideas but roll with me on this one)

Oct 25, 2017
Not the same level simply because not as many people would play a weird AAA game about walking if not for Kojima's name, but those who did would probably like it just as much.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
will this stupid ds topic ever die. Critics dont review games based on favoritism to aaa developers. The game wouldnt have had all of the sony marketing and support without a big name probably.

Although I agree with you that this is an silly topic at this point, I disagree that certain developers don't get a bit of a "pass" from reviewers for issues that might tank reviews of games by lesser known developers. I think that this occurs in games, movies, television shows, music and other pop culture types of things that are subject to reviews.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if it would be even more praised around here if he wasn't involved.

Kojima seems to really rub some the wrong way.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it would have gotten the attention before release and it would have been an even more niche game, but probably a cult classic?

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Kojima name garantees more open minded people playing the game, the game is great, but without kojima name, it would be considered only a good atempt.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play MGS 5 for more than 30 minutes since release and loved Death Stranding (played over 70 hours).

It's the game, not the name.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The game would have been better with an actual editor, that's for sure. The writing in the game is some of the worst I've had to endure in my 15 years of gaming and that's quite a feat. Finally some competition for Bethesda.

Maybe it was a bad idea to play this after Disco Elysium. The contrast couldn't be any bigger.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't like an acclaimed work. It's ok. You don't need to find reasons why people who like it don't actually like it.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
This is question is just a stupid if you replaced kojima with Yoko Taro and DS with any of his games. The reason the games are the way they are is specifically because of who made them. So of course they wouldn't get the same praise as they wouldn't exist

Also what is this Belda thing people are talking about?

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I feel like it would be received better if it was someone's directorial debut or made by someone like Yoko Taro. When I talked about this game at the office, the first reaction from two different people was to talk about Kojima's ego or something.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
The game probably would have been better received if it didn't have the baggage of Kojima's muddied name in the MGSV and onward years

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would've gotten more praise honestly.

People would've found it just as creatively risky but since it would've been by unknowns they'd have given it extra praise for being so unique.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If Death Stranding were called "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" by Hideki Kamiya, what would its metascore be?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
More than anything, I don't think as many people would have given the game a chance if it weren't for it being a Kojima game.

I did not think I would like the game from all the reviews I had seen. So yeh was surprised I did.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I think people give DS a serious look because it's from Kojima; otherwise most would give it a pass. But the intrinsic value of the game is still there so I think "yes."

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I love the game but I definitely think the whole Kojima as auteur thing subconsciously plays into it partially. But at the same time if a new dev made this game I would be blown away at their ingenuity and creativity.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Googled but couldn't find anything: what does that mean ?

That the Zelda games are only revered because of the IP.

I guess there might be some truth to that... Like if BotW was some relatively unknown indie title, it would probably have received less GotY awards, simply because less people would have played it. And it's silly to think expectations and hype have nothing to do with how games are received. But it would have still earned some accolades just like Outer Wilds has this year, because BotW is a fantastic game.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I haven't played the game but as someone observing I can confidently say that I believe DS got way more attention cause it is Kojima. I don't think people are lying about their praise for the game but maybe they gave the game more time and attention because Kojima was attached. I think a lot more people would have blown it off had it not been for Kojima.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
No, because a less people would be willing to give it a chance (hell, I love MGS and I'm not even interested in trying it after watching reviews/trailers).

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and it probably would have been more praised because it seems some here see Kojima name and wanna shit on it without giving it a chance.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm more baffled by the idea that people would've said they liked it more because it had Kojima's name on it. As someone who has not played a lot of his games (really just MGS1) and really enjoyed Death Stranding, it's all the bits that are most obviously Kojima bits (aspects of the story telling, for example) that are the worst.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It would've gotten more praise honestly.

People would've found it just as creatively risky but since it would've been by unknowns they'd have given it extra praise for being so unique.
Came here to say this. Generally speaking critics aren't going to be swayed by stuff that has nothing to do with the game itself, but the industry loves an underdog. It's more likely the game would see more praise from devs we don't know. See: Celeste (and I love Celeste so please don't come for me!)

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Would be as hated and bring as much salt if wasn't made by Kojima?The only real answer is,only Kojima has the guts to make such game.

Status
Not open for further replies.