• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I dunno. That's something that comes up to my mind sometimes.

Should I deprive myself of products I use daily just to ease my conscience? Or keep using them and have my conscience guilt a lot of the time?

It's a bit of a dilemma for me

Based upon your last few threads I really think you should consider seeing a therapist to talk this through.

You seem to think it's your job to solve all that's wrong with the world and that doesn't seem healthy.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
We should all be killed?
PBF055-Dinosaur_Meteors.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I dunno. That's something that comes up to my mind sometimes.

Should I deprive myself of products I use daily just to ease my conscience? Or keep using them and have my conscience guilt a lot of the time?

It's a bit of a dilemma for me

If that's how you feel, seems odd that your thread is about punishing game devs; you're not even sure if you have the moral courage to punish yourself and deny yourself these conveniences, but you want to crowd-source ways to punish others and condemn every person in the industry as complicit in evil? You propose taxes and "surveillance" against people who are working hard and doing their best in a broken system, but you don't have the willpower to not buy a thing. If you really want to have any leg to stand on, start with yourself.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
When you die, St. Peter reads every shitpost you ever made in your life back to you.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Strong likelihood that every company you're a fan of has at least one employee with views and opinions you'd vehemently disagree with, so......

Dig deep enough, you'll find you'd have to end up living like a cave man.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
If that's how you feel, seems odd that your thread is about punishing game devs; you're not even sure if you have the moral courage to punish yourself and deny yourself these conveniences, but you want to crowd-source ways to punish others and condemn every person in the industry as complicit in evil? You propose taxes and "surveillance" against people who are working hard and doing their best in a broken system, but you don't have the willpower to not buy a thing. If you really want to have any leg to stand on, start with yourself.

If I can be blunt, my moral fiber and personal conscious are not entirely curated by me.

Thing is, if someone on Twitter says x company is bad, I listen, follow, and not ask any questions
I feel like less of a person feeling that way

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Given the way the universe works it's reasonable to suggest that for every "bad dev" there are "good devs" that keep their staff well paid and not over worked and also don't have negative political positions.

I would honestly suggested some of the bigger Nintendo studios as being mostly like this, they don't seem to over work their staff and they are so silent at times there's never a chance for a bad political story to come out about them.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I can be blunt, my moral fiber and personal conscious are not entirely curated by me.

Thing is, if someone on Twitter says x company is bad, I listen, follow, and not ask any questions

So if I get on twitter right now and say Sony is murdering children, you aren't going to question it?

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Given the way the universe works it's reasonable to suggest that for every "bad dev" there are "good devs" that keep their staff well paid and not over worked and also don't have negative political positions.

I would honestly suggested some of the bigger Nintendo studios as being mostly like this, they don't seem to over work their staff and they are so silent at times there's never a chance for a bad political story to come out about them.

Video game companies compile their staff and talent from the general populace. You can't expect each and every one of them to be inline with what you deem to be appropriate or not. Or problematic or not.

But I think there is a bending point and breaking point for people. Activision Blizzard and THQN I think are safe to say are breaking points for a lot of people. While something like Borderlands 3 Randy Pitchford or the sexual harassment scandal Naughty Dog faced in 2017 is more of a bending point. Mileage varies depending on who you ask.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to find the memeposting of sonic and we live in a society jokes funny, but it ain't funny.

This is a serious topic for me

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
We are not guilty by association, but throughout our lives whenever we decide to look the other way, we are in fact enabling things to happen.
Climate change is the biggest challenge since a lot of people don't care, and by that lack of interest is we don't have bigger changes in laws and policies.
The OP has a very nihilist idea, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

I see. What you're proposing isn't an antidote to that. It's a ghoulish and thoughtlessly unfair condemnation of hundreds of thousands of people who work in the industry. Your political and ethical perspective on this is...underdeveloped, to say the least, and it's entirely wrong to chastise and want to punish game devs for vague complicity crimes when you don't even know how you'd punish yourself (and, by your own admission, you don't even want to punish yourself...if we weigh the complicity of working in a broken industry to do your very best and make changes where you can and to support yourself and your family vs. just not buying a thing, and you can't even rise to that meager challenge, you're arguably doing something "worse" than game devs). If you want to lead, start by taking responsibility for yourself and understand your own choices and habits..don't start by immediately pointing the fingers at others, when you clearly don't understand the situation at hand, and your "fixes" like surveillance are preposterous.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
"Game developer" as in studio?
Or as each dev inside a studio?

If it's the former, yes, I mean, I work for a big studio whose focus on it's existence is to make money. So a chance of something shady to happen is quite high and not uncommon.

Now, if it's "All game developers are guilty", I'll go with no.

Devs are like everyone else: Humans, working to make a living. I don't see why any of us should be considered guilty for shit we have no control of.
I'm not saying all devs are innocent (There are sadly too many stories per week), but thinking that all must share the same guilt is not healthy if you ask me.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to find the memeposting of sonic and we live in a society jokes funny, but it ain't funny.

This is a serious topic for me

Singling out "game devs" specifically makes it come off as a joke, because it's so far disconnected from the problem and the OP just comes off really shallow and thinly thought out. You need to do some reading or articulate yourself in a well-supported, thorough way if you want people to take it seriously. Learn from experts, not from random forum goers, and learn to articulate your thoughts into a convincing, logical format.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I see. What you're proposing isn't an antidote to that. It's a ghoulish and thoughtlessly unfair condemnation of hundreds of thousands of people who work in the industry. Your political and ethical perspective on this is...underdeveloped, to say the least, and it's entirely wrong to chastise and want to punish game devs for vague complicity crimes when you don't even know how you'd punish yourself (and, by your own admission, you don't even want to punish yourself...if we weigh the complicity of working in a broken industry to do your very best and make changes where you can and to support yourself and your family vs. just not buying a thing, and you can't even rise to that meager challenge, you're arguably doing something "worse" than game devs). If you want to lead, start by taking responsibility for yourself and understand your own choices and habits..don't start by immediately pointing the fingers at others, when you clearly don't understand the situation at hand, and your "fixes" like surveillance are preposterous.

Alright, that's more than fair.

Then again, every time I try come up for a solution, I fuck it up. So I ain't cut out for this shit

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you said "add surveillance on CEOs and executives in case they do unruly behavior ". I don't think anyone is gonna take you, serious big bro.
And a tax for people that do anything bad according to a vague moral scale determined by an indeterminate amount of individuals, vetted by an unknown and indeterminate amount of other individuals.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And a tax for people that do anything bad according to a vague moral scale determined by an indeterminate amount of individuals, vetted by an unknown and indeterminate amount of other individuals.
and also admitting to the fact that he's a blind drone that gets outraged at whatever twitter tells him to get outraged about.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Okay, fair enough.

My solution is a complete fuck up. I'll admit that

Just like every other fuck ups I do in my constant daily life

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, just because 'there's no ethical consumption under capitalism' is a popular phrase on leftist internet forums, doesn't mean it's a undisputed fact of life.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this is going to result in any worthwhile conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.