• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
This is for America:

Think about it. If you are poor, on the streets and no food or clothes on back, and it's winter time, would staying in jail be an option for you? Granted, you do get a criminal record.

I mean, your covered by the state with your healthcare as well as a bed and food daily. You are given shelter over your head as well. You have time to read books and watch TV from time to time and possibly get a college degree.

What are your thoughts on this?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It happens but people shouldn't want to go to jail because it's easier to cope with prison than it is outside in the real world. That's more of a recidivism debate, though, and has more to do with just financials. System ain't designed to let you go

Mar 9, 2018
My friend told me a story of a guy who would slit his wrists to get hospitalized rather than being homeless. Somehow he would from there always end up in jail.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is for America:

Think about it. If you are poor, on the streets and no food or clothes on back, and it's winter time, would staying in jail be an option for you? Granted, you do get a criminal record.

I mean, your covered by the state with your healthcare as well as a bed and food daily. You are given shelter over your head as well. You have time to read books and watch TV from time to time and possibly get a college degree.

Prison/Jail are a whole lot of not fun. For those of you thinking about it, the local jails and prisons routinely had multi-day outages for heating in the winter and AC/Ventilation in the summer- and when you're in jail your movement is heavily restricted. People die from this and it is not rare.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
People definitely do this.
Steal just so they get locked up to get out of the cold.

I think people are misinterpreting OP.
he isn't saying it is good that society makes this an option.

But it is the society a lot of us live in

www.theguardian.com

A fifth of all homeless people have committed a crime to get off the streets

Survey also finds that 28% of rough-sleeping women have taken an 'unwanted sexual partner' in order to find shelter

A 5th of all homeless people have done it

so im not sure why people are getting mad at the OP

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Maybe if it was one of those fancy Norwegian prisons, otherwise I imagine American jails are a hell in and of themselves so its really moving from the frying pan into the fire

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure people already do this sometimes, but US prisons are way shittier than you're making them out to be and so is having a record. You're really describing the absolute worst case scenario for someone. The reading books and getting a degree stuff is for people in prison, not jail.

Oct 29, 2017
This has been an element in stories about poverty for a very long time, the poor homeless man wanting to spend a night in jail because at least he has a roof, etc. Especially Depression era literature and fiction. But even in these fictional depictions there is a gulf of difference between going to jail for a day versus a long term, which meant hard labor in many states during the Great Depression.

Last edited:

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
giphy.gif

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
this. my brother has been in out of jail for years and a big reason he has had to go back is because he couldn't afford the fines and fees of being in. you can get revoked for failure to pay. shit is fucked up.

I didn't know that as a canadian i've never heard you have to pay for the prison "service" when you get out. If this is the case this could lead to a infernal circle...

Oct 25, 2017
canada
All I'm saying is maybe check to see if kill the poor would work. Run it through the computer. Of course im not for it but just to see.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I actually remember reading/hearing about people doing this during the recession - purposely going to jail/prison. I don't know how true it is, though.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
no i can't do that. i'll obsess about how my life is wasting away and that i'm trapped. it would drive me over the edge

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
I didn't know that as a canadian i've never heard you have to pay for the prison "service" when you get out. If this is the case this could lead to a infernal circle...

thats exactly what it leads to. no one makes enough money in my family to cover his costs after he gets out and almost no one will hire him since he is a felon, so he goes back and gets more fines. this has been repeating for us since 2009.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
This is for America:

I could see why people would think that.

Though the cops currently have the windows open in Riker's Island and are taking blankets away from prisoners out of spite, so...your mileage may vary.

Maybe prison in the sou- wait no...

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
If you get locked up, you get a criminal record.

If you lack housing after leaving incarceration, you might get held past your sentence if they require a home address as part of their discharge plan (this varies by state).

If you get a criminal record, you often can't get a job. And without a job and with a criminal record, often you can't get housing.

If you lack a stable residence, getting Medicaid or other public benefits are made harder because you don't have a mailing address or place to keep important documents.

Then your left back on the streets with a criminal record, where the police are more likely to pick you back up.

So...no.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
must be a strange country, where it is easier and more desirable to get into prison and not apply for (or get granted) social welfare.

Mind you, there are some people who'd rather live on the street than applying for welfare for various reasons, but most of those reasons also make it unthinkable for them to get into prison.
It is also rather difficult to get into prison without doing some heavy shit (in Europe). There were two prominent cases in Germany about a 20 year old woman who burned down a car and a 58-year-old man who tried to rob a restaurant (and got naked in the courtroom to show how unhealthy his body is). Both got a "not guilty" from the judge and got psychiatric help instead.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some people do it but you need to be really, really desperate to do it. It is by no means a beneficial experience and is just trading one shitty situation for another

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, it would make more sense to find a municipality that has programs for the homeless. The social stigma from being incarcerated is no joke

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

www.theguardian.com

Survey also finds that 28% of rough-sleeping women have taken an 'unwanted sexual partner' in order to find shelter

www.theguardian.com

Yeah I've heard about people in NYC destroying store windows during the winter.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
This is exactly what scrooge recommends in the beginning of A Christmas Carol. I hope the spirits visit you before it's too late!

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
this. my brother has been in out of jail for years and a big reason he has had to go back is because he couldn't afford the fines and fees of being in. you can get revoked for failure to pay. shit is fucked up.
Never knew this. Should have expected it given the whole thing is a big money making scheme combined with the "benefit" of keeping an entire race down. Holy moly America is as shitshow from start to finish.