• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I honestly am not shocked there's a discussion on if it's better to be homeless in America or an American prisoner

Oct 27, 2017
I thought getting billed for going to jail in America was just in specific states and counties? Pretty sure it's not a standard thing everywhere.

With that said I've seen enough louis theroux documentaries to know how shitty prison or jail is. I'd rather be on the street.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
County Jail or Prison? Its not the same thing.

People go to County to sit out fines instead of paying them.

Fuck what kind of hand you get dealt in State Prison. Dunno about Federal.

Oct 28, 2017
I had a street mechanic who we would never see in the winter and yes, he would get locked up for dumb shit knowing his hearing would be a few months away. Be up state road for 12 weeks, go see the judge and be out at the beginning of spring.

Granted he was already institutionalized so it wasn't really a big deal to him but yeah, this happens.

As I read the latest batch of threads about being poor in America, I often see so many misinformed post and ideas and I wish I had a way to explain all of the nuanced issues around being poor (bottom line is it sucks) but there are many misconceptions.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Nothing new or absurd. Plenty of homeless people commit a light crime at least once in their life to have some months with a roof over their heads

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought getting billed for going to jail in America was just in specific states and counties? Pretty sure it's not a standard thing everywhere.

With that said I've seen enough louis theroux documentaries to know how shitty prison or jail is. I'd rather be on the street.
No it is standard in many state prisons and local jails. Not sure if federal prison charges inmates but most incarcerated people aren't in federal prisons anyway

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
No way man. I'm not mentally ill so I'd seek assistance from non profits or food pantries before going to jail.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prisons and jails are like places that are awful places to be at. No one wants to be unfrre for tears .

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see why people would think that.

Though the cops currently have the windows open in Riker's Island and are taking blankets away from prisoners out of spite, so...your mileage may vary.

Maybe prison in the sou- wait no...
Think maybe you know this already, but in the South many state prisons put inmates in tents instead of housing them indoors, both Alabama and Mississipi do this.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Me reading the OP
giphy.gif

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woah I didn't know that. That's terrible jfc
Yeah our criminal justice system is the most inhumane and cruel of any developed nation. We incarcerate more people than anywhere else, and we treat them worse. It is the biggest stain on our society outside of slavery (and in many cases is just an extension of slavery)

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three hots and a cot? Yeah, I'd do it. For the record, I am very familiar with the prison system 🙄. And Homelessness

Also, this was a big element in the most recent Shameless episode

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People definitely do this.
Steal just so they get locked up to get out of the cold.

I think people are misinterpreting OP.
he isn't saying it is good that society makes this an option.

But it is the society a lot of us live in

www.theguardian.com

A fifth of all homeless people have committed a crime to get off the streets

Survey also finds that 28% of rough-sleeping women have taken an 'unwanted sexual partner' in order to find shelter

A 5th of all homeless people have done it

so im not sure why people are getting mad at the OP
You do realize that woman trading sex for things/being pressured into sex by people with power over them is just as bad (if not worse) in prison, right? No woman is going to willingly go to prison to avoid trading sex for shelter, because in prison she will likely be forced into similar situations except the people forcing or coercing her would have actual legal power over her and she literally cannot get away from them because she's trapped in prison.

These threads are always so infuriating, betrays an extreme level of ignorance about both homelessness and incarceration.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would seek out a homeless shelter, but as a man I would not feel as threatened as some women are there.
...OK but prison is orders of magnitude more dangerous for women than a homeless shelter.
Also men are often sexually assaulted in prison and when homeless, this idea that being a man makes you 'safe' from sexual assault is both untrue and dangerous because it erases the significant prevalence of male rape.

Oct 26, 2017
...OK but prison is orders of magnitude more dangerous for women than a homeless shelter.
Also men are often sexually assaulted in prison and when homeless, this idea that being a man makes you 'safe' from sexual assault is both untrue and dangerous because it erases the significant prevalence of male rape.
I didn't say prison was safer for women, I was saying why some women do not feel safe going to shelters. The OP was obviously not a good take so I was trying to answer this seriously.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say prison was safer for women, I was saying why some women do not feel safe going to shelters. The OP was obviously not a good take so I was trying to answer this seriously.
Sorry, that was the framing of the OP so I assumed you were saying that you would see why women would prefer prison over shelters. My bad.

Shelters are still safer than being on the street, also any good shelter divides between men, women, and families and enforces rules and curfews to protect residents.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
No, you would ruin your life with a criminal record therefore making it a possibility that you are never able to obtain a job with a living wage, and prisons in the United States are absolute garbage; not to mention there would be a possibility of you being assaulted by guards or inmates.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so people pay a lot of money. It's called 'cost of incarceration and it's completely fucked.

1) Joe goes to prison for five years
2) Joe gets out after three years for good behavior.
3) Joe is hit with a $42,000 bill of incarceration.
4) It's hard for Joe to get a job as an ex-con.
5) Joe gets a fine for not paying his bill on time.
6) Joe gets interest on the bill.
7) Joe turns to crime to pay said bill and avoid being arrested for non-payment.

Our system is fucked.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Back when I worked in social housing (in Australia) I knew a homeless couple who would do this, commit some sort of crime to ensure they would stay in prison for the winter.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that woman trading sex for things/being pressured into sex by people with power over them is just as bad (if not worse) in prison, right? No woman is going to willingly go to prison to avoid trading sex for shelter, because in prison she will likely be forced into similar situations except the people forcing or coercing her would have actual legal power over her and she literally cannot get away from them because she's trapped in prison.

These threads are always so infuriating, betrays an extreme level of ignorance about both homelessness and incarceration.
I never said it wasn't bad. Of course it is fucking bad.
the OP asked. "would people ever willingly choose to go to prison to escape homelessness"

And the answer is clearly "yes, some people are willing to go to prison to escape homelessness"

No one is saying this is good. No one is saying this is the way it should wok. No one is saying it is a great choice.

But people do in fact make that choice.

No one is saying women SHOULD. that would be insane. Prison/jail are awful. Please actually read what people are saying before responding with some nonsequitor attack. I never once said anything at all about women or sex so im not even sure why you are responding to me with that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never said it wasn't bad. Of course it is fucking bad.
the OP asked. "would people ever willingly choose to go to prison to escape homelessness"

And the answer is clearly "yes, some people are willing to go to prison to escape homelessness"

No one is saying this is good. No one is saying this is the way it should wok. No one is saying it is a great choice.

But people do in fact make that choice.

No one is saying women SHOULD. that would be insane. Prison/jail are awful. Please actually read what people are saying before responding with some nonsequitor attack. I never once said anything at all about women or sex so im not even sure why you are responding to me with that.
Did you even read the articles you linked to? One of them specifically talks about homeless women trading sex for shelter. If the comparison is drawn between homelessness and prison, then the risks need to be adequately compared for both situations.

Sure, some people make that choice out of desperation...and it's not exactly a beneficial choice for them most of the time.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Wow, I'm going to sound stupid but I didn't even know you had to pay for being in jail...that's fucked up...

I remember reading an article of an old homeless woman in Japan purposely stealing just so she won't be homeless.