• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no. As important as the Amazon is, military intervention would just make things worse. How do you even intend to fight ranchers who burn it down to create pastures? Drone anyone who looks at the forest funny?

Brazil could easily be pushed to adapt reasonable policies with soft power. A huge amount, if not most, of the beef those pastures are producing are headed for export. Sanction that and the incentive to build pastures in the first place would disappear. Military intervention is arguable the least effective intervention available to the world community if it decides to give a shit.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There alot to worry about the amazon but the point of it being 20% of our Oxygen is a little more nuanced, while it does 20% most of it doesn't go out the Amazon uses the majority of the Oxygen it produces is probably 6% hell could be even lower:

The Oxygen cycle is alot more nuanced this and the following thread shows.

That is correct, the animals consume most of it, then those animals go on to be food for other animals on land and in the oceans, Nutrients from the amazon feed these other little critters (Diatoms?) in the ocean eventually that produce our Oxygen we consume.

The amazon is a gigantic filter for carbon 2+ billion tons of it estimated. , as well as producing a high % of atmospheric moisture/water for our jet streams which control our weather. No % decrease in any of those fields is acceptable.

Its going to become a moronic debate though for the tehhcnunnalcnly crowd. As if oxygen is only meant for human consumption.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I had a similar thought recently and tbh the arguments for it would be pretty strong. Ultimately, this situation is one of the many downsides of not having a functional world government.

It is adorable and terrifying in equal measures that Americans think that their country can intervene militarily for benevolent reasons when they are just as busy fucking over the environment in the USA.

Maybe not burning forests bad but your president backed out of the Paris climate accords and has been tearing down environmental protections as fast as he can.

Maybe the rest of the world should intervene in the US?

Like, what fucking planet you all live on? If the US intervenes it will be so that IT gets to exploit those resources. Holy shit Americans are fucking infuriating.
Well, a hypothetical US government that's willing to go to war with Brazil over climate change would also be one willing to fix things up in their own house.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Imperialism never dies, appearantly.

Tariffs and political pressure is the way to go. We don't need another american-backed dictatoship.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In theory yes, in practice no. Military intervention might stop the bleeding but would probably be worse in the long run, in terms of the political implications. The only thing likely to reverse the current trend today would be economic and political pressure, but neither of those are likely to be successful either

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Let's what G7 leaders can do about it, sans Twisident Cunt.

There alot to worry about the amazon but the point of it being 20% of our Oxygen is a little more nuanced, while it does 20% most of it doesn't go out the Amazon uses the majority of the Oxygen it produces is probably 6% hell could be even lower:

The Oxygen cycle is alot more nuanced this and the following thread shows.

The issue it goes beyond that and into the field of stabilizing climate which is already on a downhill roll. Depending on how much of the forest is permanently lost, it would expedite the already dire issues. And this does not even begin to address the destruction of the ecosystem is part of that biosphere.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sanctions only hurt the poor people though. NK/Iranians aren't missing meals (The ones in control)

As it's written, this is a false statement. Targeted sanctions are one of the most effective tools that the West has on influencing behavior in other countries. It's remarkably effective, when targeted and done right.

Of course, it depends on how the sanctions are applied, but the sanctions that the West has passed on Russian oligarchs is the most affective way to hit Russian leadership where it actually bothers them, and forces them into risky business alliances that expose them to prosecution. It's also why Russia's approached the Trump campaign in the first place and what the infamous 'Moscow Meeting' was about: "Adoptions." Easing adoptions is Kremlin-speak for the US easing sanctions on Russia (When the Obama admin passed sanctions against the Russian oligarchy as the result of the Magnitsky act and then Russia's military invasion of Europe, instead of retaliating against European and American business interests, the Kremlin made the bizarre maneuver of banning adoptions of Russian children by American and European parents; when the Kremlin meets to talk to Americans and Europeans about ending targeted sanctions, they say it's a meeting about adoptions). Nearly all wealthy Russians and Iranians have their money held in Western banks and Western investment vehicles. Russians billionaires who control the country do not have billions in rubles because it's too volatile and risky, they hold their money in European banks mostly; they own investment properties (money laundering) in Manhattan, Milan, Miami, and Munich -- not Moscow.

Not all sanctions are targeted or smartly applied, but it's not true that sanctions only hurt poor people. Targeted, intelligent sanctions, like those used against Russian oligarchs, like some passed against Iranian religious leadership, and broadly like those held against North Korean nuclear ambitions, are affective. Broad sanctions against a country are probably not as effective relative to the amount of damage they can do. Sanctions can be effective in democracies, but most of the countries that the West pursues sanctions on are not democratic. If sanctions weren't affective and only hurt poor people, then anti-democratic countries that don't care about their poor like Iran and North Korea would not try to negotiate relaxation of sanctions... the Obama-era Iran Nuclear Deal was primarily pursued by Iran's leadership to end economic sanctions.

For more info I'd recommend Bill Browder's interview with Preet Bhahara from a couple years ago:

Browder is, of course, the architect of the most sweeping, affective sanctions program against Russia's oligarchy. Garry Kasparov also writes often about how to effectively implement sanctions against in anti-democratic countries.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They absolutely should if it's on the table, it's a worldwide emergency imo

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would support it, but as a joint effort between the nations of the UN, not just America. The Amazon is far too important to be under the control of any one country. Of course that would never happen soooo yeah.

Last edited:

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a similar thought recently and tbh the arguments for it would be pretty strong. Ultimately, this situation is one of the many downsides of not having a functional world government.

Well, a hypothetical US government that's willing to go to war with Brazil over climate change would also be one willing to fix things up in their own house.

LOL These hypothetical realities are really nice. I wish I lived there.

Planet Earth reality however is that if the US goes to war, it will be so that it gets to exploit that natural resource. And thats not even a Trump thing. Every US government ever.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't for us electing Trump, I would say let's do military intervention. Because we can't wait until the country figures it out before the whole Forest is burnt down and we're now suffering around the world because of it. I actually would sign up for the Army for that.

But we can't do it now because we're look like hypocrites. So now we're kind of screwed at this point.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Americans seem quick to want to intervene in other countries politics and yet cry foul when other countries allegedly try to do the same to theirs.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wrong Amazon for Trump to care. Besides, US military invasions almost always make things much worse (with the exceptions of WWII and arguably Korea).

The best thing the US could do would be to implement targeted sanctions against Bolsonaro and his allies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Facebook and Whatsapp has lots of blame in this for propping up Bolsonaro.

Western democracies need to impose sanctions on Brazil and stop buying their beef

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Can we legally invade another country in order to put fires out over there?

If the local government requests help and invites the military in, sure. I can see that. But I think unilaterally invading the country will have repercussions.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How about a trade? We let you guys invade to take care of the Amazon but we get to meddle on your next presidencial election. Deal?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
You guys assume any military intervention would be done out of the goodwill to save the rainforest and not devolve into the exploitation of its natural resources.

Nov 28, 2017
Looking at historical trends, if Americans were to involve the military, they'd probably just dump Agent Orange all over Amazon.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be really mad when eco-imperialism and eco-fascism turns out to be the next big thing because people can't have a measured take.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As it's written, this is a false statement. Targeted sanctions are one of the most effective tools that the West has on influencing behavior in other countries. It's remarkably effective, when targeted and done right.

Of course, it depends on how the sanctions are applied, but the sanctions that the West has passed on Russian oligarchs is the most affective way to hit Russian leadership where it actually bothers them, and forces them into risky business alliances that expose them to prosecution. It's also why Russia's approached the Trump campaign in the first place and what the infamous 'Moscow Meeting' was about: "Adoptions." Easing adoptions is Kremlin-speak for the US easing sanctions on Russia (When the Obama admin passed sanctions against the Russian oligarchy as the result of the Magnitsky act and then Russia's military invasion of Europe, instead of retaliating against European and American business interests, the Kremlin made the bizarre maneuver of banning adoptions of Russian children by American and European parents; when the Kremlin meets to talk to Americans and Europeans about ending targeted sanctions, they say it's a meeting about adoptions). Nearly all wealthy Russians and Iranians have their money held in Western banks and Western investment vehicles. Russians billionaires who control the country do not have billions in rubles because it's too volatile and risky, they hold their money in European banks mostly; they own investment properties (money laundering) in Manhattan, Milan, Miami, and Munich -- not Moscow.

Not all sanctions are targeted or smartly applied, but it's not true that sanctions only hurt poor people. Targeted, intelligent sanctions, like those used against Russian oligarchs, like some passed against Iranian religious leadership, and broadly like those held against North Korean nuclear ambitions, are affective. Broad sanctions against a country are probably not as effective relative to the amount of damage they can do. Sanctions can be effective in democracies, but most of the countries that the West pursues sanctions on are not democratic. If sanctions weren't affective and only hurt poor people, then anti-democratic countries that don't care about their poor like Iran and North Korea would not try to negotiate relaxation of sanctions... the Obama-era Iran Nuclear Deal was primarily pursued by Iran's leadership to end economic sanctions.

For more info I'd recommend Bill Browder's interview with Preet Bhahara from a couple years ago:

Browder is, of course, the architect of the most sweeping, affective sanctions program against Russia's oligarchy. Garry Kasparov also writes often about how to effectively implement sanctions against in anti-democratic countries.

Yeah as written its false. Because its a generalization that doesn't specify Intelligent Effective sanctions. Which Aren't on the table at all, with the trump administration in power. I'm talking about the overwhelmingly stupid sanctions that effect millions of people who aren't the corrupt few that face no change in lifestyle outside of a ding to their quality of life,

versus being able to afford produce.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I somehow doubt war would be a great fix to "save the rainfoest" haha....

I think the world needs to start putting it's foot on Brazil's neck if they don't clean this shit up, but dropping Tomahawks on Sao Paulo prolly won't help.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be really mad when eco-imperialism and eco-fascism turns out to be the next big thing because people can't have a measured take.

Eco-imperialism is not going to take off because there's no money to be made from it. It's squarely in the realm of nervous """progressives""" who want to feel better about global warming but also don't want to do anything that directly affects their lives in any way.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not willing to set my thermostat above 70F to prevent global warming, but if we can have our army invade another country and kill its citizens to prevent global warming that sounds great. As long as I'm not going to get drafted, of course."

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda ironic, the same justifications Europe used to justify the expansion and pacification of the Americas - "for the greater good", "we have to do this to save all of us", "the natives don't understand what they are doing" - can be used 500 years later.

Also its laughable the idea that USA would be involved in any way, Trump and Bolsanaro are kindred spirits.

If the rain forest is as important to the rest of the planet as everyone says, why wouldn't the rest of the planet pay them to keep it? They are only cutting it down for the wood/agriculture, to turn into money wouldn't it be simpler to just pay them not to do that?

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Ipcc: our diet is unsustainable and causing climate change as well as using all our available land and water, we could feed 9 billion people using less land than we use now to feed 7 if we didn't eat meat and in particular beef.

People on this forum: *takes a bite out of a double double animal style* fuck that, let's invade Brazil.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what happen in the Amazon is awful but for fuck's sake -
STOP LOOKING FOR COUNTRIES TO INVADE.

Seriously, look at the fucking record since WW2, this always make the situation worse. You couldn't make it work Grenada, you won't make it work with Brazil.

Also, the international community is doing pretty much nothing to make Brazil stop that, how about we try something other than fucking war first?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Military intervention in South America has such a history of being environmentally considerate.

No seriously, fuck off.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So what happen in the Amazon is awful but for fuck's sake -
STOP LOOKING FOR COUNTRIES TO INVADE.

Seriously, look at the fucking record since WW2, this always make the situation worse. You couldn't make it work Grenada, you won't make it work with Brazil.

Also, the international community is doing pretty much nothing to make Brazil stop that, how about we try something other than fucking war first?

+1

The military is just there to blow things up and make rich people richer.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
... No. More likely to destroy what you're intervening to save, and an intervention itself would cause stupid massive carbon emissions.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not willing to set my thermostat above 70F to prevent global warming, but if we can have our army invade another country and kill its citizens to prevent global warming that sounds great. As long as I'm not going to get drafted, of course."

Ipcc: our diet is unsustainable and causing climate change as well as using all our available land and water, we could feed 9 billion people using less land than we use now to feed 7 if we didn't eat meat and in particular beef.

People on this forum: *takes a bite out of a double double animal style* fuck that, let's invade Brazil.

Pretty much.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with military intervention is that Bolsonaro will just go full scorched earth on the rainforest and burn the entire thing down out of spite.

So no I don't I think military intervention would save it.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
If it were a concerted effort with US allies, and not just the US, perhaps. At the present, no.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda ironic, the same justifications Europe used to justify the expansion and pacification of the Americas - "for the greater good", "we have to do this to save all of us", "the natives don't understand what they are doing" - can be used 500 years later.

Also its laughable the idea that USA would be involved in any way, Trump and Bolsanaro are kindred spirits.

If the rain forest is as important to the rest of the planet as everyone says, why wouldn't the rest of the planet pay them to keep it? They are only cutting it down for the wood/agriculture, to turn into money wouldn't it be simpler to just pay them not to do that?
Spot on post. The attitude in the OP is chauvinist to the point of racism. Before you would seriously entertain military intervention, you would have to believe that We Know Best to the point of justifying violence against a formerly colonized nation. Negotiation or payment couldn't possibly work with these less, ah, sophisticated peoples, right?

Fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.