• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah let's get the United States of America to invade Brazil and annex the Amazon.
What could POSSIBLY go wrong.
Now millions of Brazilians are dead(me included) and the forest is owned by an ever shittier nation. Now it'll burn down in 10 years instead of 20.
Congratufuckinglations.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
No, american and european corporations are already dominating south america and buying polititians.

Those are the companies that are exploiting the natural resources over here, so they wont (and shouldnt) interfere NOW.

The only outcome of a military intervention would be dead people and those countries exploiting brasil in other ways.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No.

Tell Facebook to wipe out the pro Bolsonaro stuff on WhatsApp.

Drastically more humane.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Id think intervention in regime change.

Atm there is a gov/man who thinks he is trump and doesnt give a damn about finger wagging or sanctions ( which would be limited because china and Russia would never sign on). And even if they had an effect by then damage would be done.

Its sad that there are people who oppose violence so much that even when a scientist says " The Amazon is approaching a point of no return, if not reversed it will eventually turn into a savannah, killing most of the life in it and releasing the equivalent of 150 years of CO2 into the atmosphere."

And even with such dire warnings, we get "well jeez warmongers! Have ya tried talking to him first! We should sanction them! We should just prepare for the worst" no! We all have a stake in climate change and if the world has to act to save people then hell yes we should remove the government and help save whats left of it.
As someone from a country, where americans did a regime change, killed thousands of people, privatized all of our natural resources to american/european companies that have many ambiental disasters, id say people are allowed to be against it

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This wouldn't work because as you can see in this thread it would be viewed as colonialism no matter who carries it out (many already jumped to the conclusion the US would do it) and what the actual intentions are.

War should be a last resort, economic and political punishments should come first and wars almost always end up more damaging than anticipated. Not to mention future generations of hostility, civilian casualties and environmental damage caused by war itself.

Also world powers would never all agree to this just to save the Amazon.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me know when you pro-regime change guys are pro EU military alliance regime changing the US.

ZynYWvcY6ffDNb--dtcsWslj10J_IasTftachrC3cTE.png

What a joke.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No, but they would keep exploiting the amazon, why people think Trump is better than Bolsonaro? If the amazon was in USA it would have been destroyed a long time ago.

You do know the US has vast forests right? I don't think the Amazon would be gone. Not saying the US is great for the environment but we aren't burning down the national forests very quickly right now as Brazil is doing.

BonneMort

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
And just to add to my previous post, I find extremely odd that most of you really do think the outcome of an invasion would for sure, 100% guaranteed, be brazilian defeat and other countries exploring them afterwards. Have you guys failed history and geography?

Last time a military superpower tried to invade a country with continental territory didn't work out so well. Last time someone tried a serious war with Brazil, 70% of their male population was extinguished.

Considering you wouldn't want to nuke the shit out of us to preserve every freaking natural resources we abundantly have, so you could enjoy the spoils...

You can always try. It wouldn't be easy as you may think. Result will most definitely be a catastrophic, long conflict that will most definitely be way worse than anything going on right now.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure at least some Americans would be for such a thing right now if it was actually possible.

The poster was only using it as a deflection of the issue being talked about anyways.

If ruining the planet justifies military intervention, what's giving the US immunity here?

*sigh*

Let's start at a basic definition level here:
What do you consider military intervention?
I don't think many are talking about a US invasion, but probably a blockade on exports.

Of course, this is kinda pointless anyways, as our Idiot in Chief probably sees nothing wrong with the collapse of the rainforest.

BonneMort

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The poster was only using it as a deflection of the issue being talked about anyways.

*sigh*

Let's start at a basic definition level here:
What do you consider military intervention?
I don't think many are talking about a US invasion, but probably a blockade on exports.

Of course, this is kinda pointless anyways, as our Idiot in Chief probably sees nothing wrong with the collapse of the rainforest.

Just breaking now in brazilian media that the White House sees the situation in the Amazon Rainforest with great concern.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Brazil is already a disaster i cant even begin to imagine how much chaos would occur without a functioning government.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, the rain-forest collapsing is OK because of other countries CO2?
The US is easily the biggest hurdle standing in the way of real, climate change action.
The US talking shit about other countries in this context is gross in general, but advocating that the US go and invade other countries FoR tHe SaKe oF ThE pLaNeT when it wouldn't even sign the bare minimum international treaties on climate change, is beyond the pale.

Also, there is really zero way this will work, you will just get a lot of people killed, as always.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the stupidest threads I have ever seen.

Not only is the US the single worst carbon emitter in the whole world, but their military also wouldn't be able to do jack shit if Brazils military decided to intervene against an invasion.

How is this thread fucking okay?

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
As a Brazilian, I can't wait to starve to death or to be exploded by a freedom bomb because of that. I mean, it's not like this country had historically suffered by European and North American imperialism to the point to being so desperate that people thought that electing a clown just because he seemed different would be a great idea, right?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Spot on post. The attitude in the OP is chauvinist to the point of racism. Before you would seriously entertain military intervention, you would have to believe that We Know Best to the point of justifying violence against a formerly colonized nation. Negotiation or payment couldn't possibly work with these less, ah, sophisticated peoples, right?

Fuck that.
Has this guy proposed any of that stuff? Wanting payments or negotiations in exchange for not intentionally destroying a massively important global forest because he likes fire?

If so, then yeah, I agree that negotiations or payments are the best route to go for now.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Take that money and spend it on replenishing forests in western developed nations. Or, take that money and pay Brazil to protect its forests.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the US does any kind of environmental world policing without drastically cutting its own emissions, all that says is "only we're allowed to ruin the planet, none of you are".

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
No...fuck no.

NO!

I cannot fathom how people could even possibly consider this a good idea.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's a hard NO. The people of Brazil want Bolsonaro. I do agree that the Amazon should be a world asset, but simply taking it via military force is likely going to do more harm than good.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
If the US does any kind of environmental world policing without drastically cutting its own emissions, all that says is "only we're allowed to ruin the planet, none of you are".

Interesting, I had no idea this was only about CO2, and not about the eradication of a precious international resource.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The last thing you want in the Amazons is to replace the garimpeiros with a USA sanctioned industry in the zone.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I am all for stopping buying stuff from my country till the party in power is impeached, but as someone that lives here I would rather not have bombs and guns here, thank you very much

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I said earlier, Facebook was a massive contributor in getting Bolsonaro elected. Just lean on them to clean up the pro-Bolsonaro stuff on WhatsApp. Replace it with pro-Lula, pro-Amazon conservation nonsense.

IT'S NOT THAT HARD, AND NO ONE HAS TO DIE OVER IT.

But no let's send in the troops!

Vile and revolting, guess people didn't get the memo that Pax Americana is dead.

BonneMort

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's a hard NO. The people of Brazil want Bolsonaro. I do agree that the Amazon should be a world asset, but simply taking it via military force is likely going to do more harm than good.

Actually, only 30% of brazilians approve of Bolsonaro's government. It's a wrong assumption to say most of brazilians wanted Bolsonaro. Truth is, most brazilians didn't want the Worker's Party again and unfortunately Bolsonaro went to the second round of elections agains a WP candidate. I myself had a hard time convincing people around me not to vote for this fuckers, but the Worker's Party rejection is something out of this world.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
The "precious international resource" is only "precious" because of its contribution to the global ecosystem.

No, that's factually wrong.
The fact you have completely ignored the native people who live in them, and the research and contributions from them is incredible.
Your hate of the "US" has completely clouded your mind.

Continue pointing at everybody else, and ignoring the problem. It's sure to solve itself.
The US can continue to reduce it's CO2, and use carbon capture and forest planting.
Once the rainforest is gone, it's gone. It can't be undone.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you americans should stop eating meat instead trying to kill me and my loved ones

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Actually, only 30% of brazilians approve of Bolsonaro's government. It's a wrong assumption to say most of brazilians wanted Bolsonaro. Truth is, most brazilians didn't want the Worker's Party again and unfortunately Bolsonaro went to the second round of elections agains a WP candidate. I myself had a hard time convincing people around me not to vote for this fuckers, but the Worker's Party rejection is something out of this world.

it is literally word for word cold war playbook of "communist eat children" ...even with the word communist being used

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
No, that's factually wrong.
The fact you have completely ignored the native people who live in them, and the research and contributions from them is incredible.
Your hate of the "US" has completely clouded your mind.

Continue pointing at everybody else, and ignoring the problem. It's sure to solve itself.
The US can continue to reduce it's CO2, and use carbon capture and forest planting.
Once the rainforest is gone, it's gone. It can't be undone.
Exactly. Once it reaches a tipping point thats it for the Amazon.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously want someone who is all for military intervening in Brazil to offer a complete explanation about how invading Brazil would actually work and what the aftermath will look like. Who is going to be conducting the invasion? How will this invading army secure control of a nation of over 200 million people that is larger than the contiguous United States with incredibly unforgiving terrain for a military occupation? Who will be in charge of this post-Bolsanaro Brazil and how will this new regime project its power across the country? How will a military invasion stop the international demand for timber and land for meat production? How will the forests of the Amazon by safeguarded from corporations as well as criminal enterprises hellbent on continuing the deforestation of it? These are not even all the factors to consider! I have a feeling the vast majority of those that said yes without hesitation did not bother to think these things through.

While it seems to have died down at this point in the thread, it is incredibly disturbing to see how so many people are still convinced military intervention is some magical panacea to all of the terrible things done by governments not called the United States. Especially when you look at the track record of foreign interventions and invasions conducted by the United States and its closest allies. Life is not some action movie or video game where defeating/killing the main baddie will easily solve every problem. What is going on with the Amazon is absolutely terrible for the world and humanity but people seriously need to stop thinking invading countries is some viable, easy solution.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Pax Americana is dead.
Can something really be dead if it was never alive to begin with?

Pax Americana is a myth invented by the US to distract from the fact they've been covertly (and not so covertly) murdering their way into dominating Latin American politics for over a century.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the stupidest threads I have ever seen.

Not only is the US the single worst carbon emitter in the whole world, but their military also wouldn't be able to do jack shit if Brazils military decided to intervene against an invasion.

How is this thread fucking okay?

Because this is one of those bits of racism that the modern enlightened liberal is ok with. You know "Those people dont know whats best for them so we have to take care of it. Even if it hurts them. Because its also important to us.".

The white mans burden.

Create a thread about a western country having to return stolen historical artifacts from other countries and you will see another spin off of this.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can something really be dead if it was never alive to begin with?

Pax Americana is a myth invented by the US to distract from the fact they've been covertly (and not so covertly) murdering their way into dominating Latin American politics for over a century.
True. What I meant was "the dream/delusion is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.