• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was a thought that crept into my mind recently. I was thinking that there's a dearth of first party, first person shooters on PS platforms this generation and Sony has mentioned fairly recently that their absence in the multiplayer space has been something that they regret and want to rectify in the future. This is at odds with the PS3 era-- here Sony invested heavily in FPS, likely to steal marketshare away from Halo, Call of Duty, and Battlefield. Killzone, MAG, and Resistance immediately come to mind as the fruits of their endeavor, but for one reason or another they failed to stick. As big of a fan as I am of both Killzone and Resistance, I think it's fair to say that they have run their respective courses, but can new life be breathed into Socom, but in an entirely new form? We've seen franchises like Metal Gear Solid and more recently God of War get revamped and for their efforts, were met with commercial and critical success. Socom is a classic PS franchise that really has no history with the newest generation of gamers. It'd be akin to introducing an entirely new franchise to a new generation of gamers, while still be able to leverage the brand in ways to play on longtime PlayStation gamers' nostalgia.

I imagine it would be more realistic than other contemporaries like Call of Duty and Battlefield, featuring vehicles and authentic weapon behaviors and sounds. I'd hope it would have a greatly expanded moveset with buttery smooth traversal and transitions between actions and animations. Players would be free to sprint, slide, combat dive, shoot while lying on their backs, go prone, kneel, blind fire (without seeing from behind cover), shoot around corners, peek around corners, throw grenades around corners, pick up thrown grenades, scale walls, perform stealth executions, and swim. Tactics, strategy, and communication would all be key in preserving the lives of you and your teammates and matches wouldn't be the traditional spawn and die cycle with no consequences that we've come to expect from modern shooters. It would also have destructible cover and terrain, changing weather, and cqc. Add in a large suite of modes, in addition to a dynamically changing one like Killzone 2's Warzone, make it free to play launch title, and a short campaign to familiarize players with the game's mechanics and I think Sony would have their most successful shooter ever.

Does anyone think Socom could return as a first person shooter, or just wants to see its return in some form?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't matter if it's first person or third person, Sony should do something with SOCOM. Siege is all the proof they should need to see that tactical shooters still have an audience. I wouldn't mind a reimagining but I would prefer if they stuck with the classic viewpoint. As a bonus, that would make it easier to sell those cosmetic items that would be unavoidable!

Matador

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 12, 2019
I'd like dual perspective like MGS, be able to switch between TPS and FPS.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
SOCOM had a first person view. It wasn't any good, but it was there.

I miss the days of playing SOCOM 1 and 2 until the wee hours of the morning with people I had met on a random server and became friends with.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It should be redesigned for first person. Third person perspective is a fundamental flaw in tactical, competitive multiplayer games - when one player can observe another from around a corner or from behind cover without having to expose their position whatsoever, the claims of "authenticity" and "hardcore tactical design" are thrown out the window.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Does the SOCOM brand itself really carry much weight? I always thought the reason people loved SOCOM was "it's an online shooter—on the PS2." Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I don't really see any reason why they wouldn't go with a new IP were they to make a new shooter today.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does the SOCOM brand itself really carry much weight? I always thought the reason people loved SOCOM was "it's an online shooter—on the PS2." Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I don't really see any reason why they wouldn't go with a new IP were they to make a new shooter today.

it carries a lot of weight still i feel , they just need to do a complete remake of Socom 2

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
SOCOM was meh. I wish Sony would stop chasing the FPS trend tbh and keep focusing their resources on single-player games. They did a good job of this in the 8th gen, keep it rolling.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOCOM was meh. I wish Sony would stop chasing the FPS trend tbh and keep focusing their resources on single-player games. They did a good job of this in the 8th gen, keep it rolling.
They can expand the genres that create games in. There's no sense in there being a void that they can make money from and simultaneously put out a product that consumers would want to play.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Probably not but I'd love for them to try, the last good ones imo were on PSP, I didn't like the two on PS3, Confrontation and 4 I think

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
They can expand the genres that create games in. There's no sense in there being a void that they can make money from and simultaneously put out a product that consumers would want to play.

Yeah but Sony must feel jaded of chasing the "Halo" and "CoD" crowd that were giant money pools in the 7th gen. Haze and MAG were games that they put a lot of money into developing and marketing only for them to fall flat. Killzone always had strong initial sales but every game in that series had massive population drops 2 months after launch. I always see people say good things about Killzone PvP but I don't know where they were a month or so after launch because it wasn't in Killzone. Those games were a ghost town at that point.

It also doesn't help that Xbox grabbed a giant chunk of those types of gamers in the 7th gen with Halo and Gears of War's massive success and many of them stayed loyal and stuck with Xbox. And if Microsoft makes Halo Infinite a Scarlet launch game then they're going to have another early advantage of that crowd.

Basically, I think it would be smart for Sony to know what they're good at and build from there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but Sony must feel jaded of chasing the "Halo" and "CoD" crowd that were giant money pools in the 7th gen. Haze and MAG were games that they put a lot of money into developing and marketing only for them to fall flat. Killzone always had strong initial sales but every game in that series had massive population drops 2 months after launch. I always see people say good things about Killzone PvP but I don't know where they were a month or so after launch because it wasn't in Killzone. Those games were a ghost town at that point.

It also doesn't help that Xbox grabbed a giant chunk of those types of gamers in the 7th gen with Halo and Gears of War's massive success and many of them stayed loyal and stuck with Xbox. And if Microsoft makes Halo Infinite a Scarlet launch game then they're going to have another early advantage of that crowd.

Basically, I think it would be smart for Sony to know what they're good at and build from there.
Wasn't Haze made by Free Radical, and not an internally developed game? What you're saying doesn't make sense to an extent. Sony didn't know that they were as good as they were at third person action-adventure games until they started making them, i.e. HZD, GoW, Uncharted, TLoU, Infamous, DG, etc. Many gamers that were formerly 360 users in the last generation migrated to PS4. They are more likely to stay in Sony's ecosystem and get a PS5 due to investments and purchases they've made on PSN. This is an opportune time to strike with a fps that's FREE but has great mechanics and gunplay as well, increasing its chances of establishing itself. I guarantee it would take marketshare from CoD and BF, more so than any prior effort to break into the fps market. Halo's time in the sun has since passed.,I don't believe it will ever be the cultural phenomenon it once was. 343 is better off making its own franchise.

Sony is going to continue iterating on what they have, but that shouldn't stop them from tapping markets that are lucrative, where they can fill a void.

I believe that the people that make World of Tanks are making a game being compared to SOCOM are they not?
I know nothing about this.

Jojo Sonoshe

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Why would anyone want that?

There are what? Zero tactical third person shooters on consoles? Oh I guess there's Ghost Recon too bad that's stuck in the esports chasing 4vs4 hell. There are no tactical and slow paced TPS with higher player counts, big maps, and objective based. Nothing really to scratch the itch GRAW and Socom left.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No it would not be, and no they should not give it a try. Now if they created a cinematic third person war story with the same name, that will work. The only FPS Sony needs to focus on is continuing to back CoD yearly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone want that?

There are what? Zero tactical third person shooters on consoles? Oh I guess there's Ghost Recon too bad that's stuck in the esports chasing 4vs4 hell. There are no tactical and slow paced TPS with higher player counts, big maps, and objective based. Nothing really to scratch the itch GRAW and Socom left.
I want Socom to return to as is.

Otherwise let it stay dead.
No it would not be, and no they should not give it a try. Now if they created a cinematic third person war story with the same name, that will work. The only FPS Sony needs to focus on is continuing to back CoD yearly.
People probably said the same things about RE4 and RE7 before actually playing them.

Oct 25, 2017
No, it wouldn't be Socom.
same thing happened when the tried to copy COD trends in other ways and we got MAG and Socom 4 that killed Zipper.

Also it would almost just be Counter Strike.

Does the SOCOM brand itself really carry much weight? I always thought the reason people loved SOCOM was "it's an online shooteron the PS2." Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I don't really see any reason why they wouldn't go with a new IP were they to make a new shooter today.
Socom Confrontation was the most played multiplayer exclusive on PS3(particularly over Killzone and Resistance)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, I don't care what people say about anything.

I want Socom to return as a third person straight sequel. Want to do an fps then make a new franchise or make a sequel to MAG.

No need to revive a series and make it in the name only.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Third person peeking is god awful in pvp multiplayer games. If they do bring it back they either need to fix third person so that enemies won't draw in if they aren't visible by your actual character or go first person.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
No need to revive a series and make it in the name only.

*laughs in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint*

Bring back the old SOCOM PS2/PSP formula and it'll sell like hot cakes. The Insurgency devs are swinging and missing on a console release. Sony has money and nostalgia on their side and they need to make a new Fireteam Bravo-esque game happen.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I guess, but I would hate it. I like that it was third person. First person would make it totally different. You can't see how well you blend into the environment with first person either. Camo was pretty important.

Oct 25, 2017
Third person peeking is god awful in pvp multiplayer games. If they do bring it back they either need to fix third person so that enemies won't draw in if they aren't visible by your actual character or go first person.
It was never an issue in Socom really.
Maps rarely had a safe power spot and if they did you had grenades that could actually be used tactically.
honestly it just promoted smater and more tactical gameplay.

It was maybe an issue in pure TDM but if you only played that you weren't really playing Socom.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Foxhunt, Cross Roads, Vigilance, and Fish Hook the most. Good times, the good old days.

There used to be some awesome user uploaded Socom 2 videos on Gametrailers.com, forever gone.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please just give me a true SOCOM game, with updated graphics and smoother movement. That's all I want!

no more trying to take the franchise in directions that aren't true to the spirit of the series. That's what killed it in the first place!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Pretty sure KZ2 and 4 both had healthy communities for at least 6 months. Personally I played KZ4 multi for about 18 months but during that time there wasn't much else.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Bring it back in third person but make enemies show up only if they're in your soldier's line of sight. Wall peaking is straight garbage in any game where you can die kinda fast.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who never got into SOCOM....

I don't understand why Sony doesn't do anything with the series. It seems like a no brainer, people want it, that style of game is popular, etc.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
I just want a tactical 3rd person shooter, they don't exist any more on console (don't say wildlands or breakpoint)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Socom is Socom. If they would actually make a new one, it should be Socom and not just a totally different game just with the Socom name.
So if Sony wants to make a FPS, just make a new IP (which will happen imo).

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who's the audience for this sort of reboot? This isn't some giant IP with a story to tell or characters to love. All it would do is alienate the people that actually remember what SOCOM was about, and everyone else would greet it with a collective shrug.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who's the audience for this sort of reboot? This isn't some giant IP with a story to tell or characters to love. All it would do is alienate the people that actually remember what SOCOM was about, and everyone else would greet it with a collective shrug.

Agreed completely. As a SOCOM die-hard, i would be so disappointed and upset if they brought it back in name only and rebooted it as some bullshit generic shooter. That's basically what they tried doing with SOCOM 4 and we saw how that turned out.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
socom in fps only or some ugly thing where players don't show up if not in your line of sight would not be socom. What is wrong with you people :p ?
i'd rather see socom stay dead than witnessing its corpse desecrated.

Oct 25, 2017
I have some fond memories of Socom 2, but I feel like PUBG scratches that TPP shooter itch for me. I get that they are very different, but I personally don't see the need to revive that series.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the main direction to go with Socom at this point would be just something like a Confrontation 2 as a launch or launch window PS5 release.
Take the Confrontation model and add a bit more live service elements.

No campaign, no co-op, limited selections of maps with more flowing in throughout the year.
Operator packs, camos and such as the MTX.

Confrontation 1 almost had this right but the game launched so bugged that post game support was so far behind just getting it running correctly.
it had the DLC pushed back an entire year, later DLC was then cancelled.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
SOCOM should have been the Rainbow Six New Vegas route but with current gen mechanics. First person shooting but with third person cover and traversing mechanics.